Why do couples break up after two years?

My question is what is up with everyone breaking up right around the 2 years mark...I swear I seen this pattern, it's like almost everyone breaks up right around that time? So weird, am I the only one who notices it?...it sure happened to me and my boyfriend, we had an amazing 2 year relationship and out of nowhere he broke up with me asking for spacento figure out his life, but is still contacting me almost everyday...what is it with the 2 year mark? Even on this website all I keep seeing is 2 years 2 years 2 years haha

23

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a decision point. From what I've read, that's right around where, psychologicall speaking, the blissful, "we're so in love and we'll last forever" feelings start to die down. At that point, they have to decide whether or not they can last together.

• Well my boyfriend and I been together for 2 years, and this summer he was already talking about marrying me in about 2 years, that I'm the one and only and this and that but last Thursday he said he needs a break to figure out his life and only time and space will tell if this is what he really wants?...so now what do I do and don't do lol? I'm devastated and confused

• It's a big step. He's probably getting cold feet, wondering if you are in fact the one he wants to be with for the rest of his life. Commitment is a scary thing for a lot of guys.

What Guys Said 2

• Hmm it used to be the seven year itch. Now with technology is everything speeding up and it's the 2 year itch?

• Hahah I guess so...the question is what to do what to do :/

• By that time people have to make a decision on long term commitment..or not...

Anywhere from 1 to 3 years is he time one of the other wants such a decision, normally.

This is why you see so many 2 year break-ups

• He's facing the big decision time and just isn't sure which way to go with it. He knows he can't put ot off much longer.

Give him time, for both your sakes don't rush him

What Girls Said 2

• That is probably the point where things get really serious and people decide they want that or they don't.

• Just see what happens. It is kind of almost normal for couples to take a break at that point to make sure moving forward in a relationship that is approaching marriage is what they really want. It beats jumping into a marriage and finding out it's not what you or him want.

• Yeah I thnnk once we pass the two year period pass and yoru realtionship is still strong after breakups and etc, than that you might have found the right person.