Does my ex want me back but playing it cool?

My ex boyfriend and I broke up about a week ago. My ex wanted all his freedom and not wanting to do things with me. My ex initiated the break up and I said I rather us not talk anymore (he obviously wants to continue talking to me). A couple of nights ago my ex called me and while we were talking he said "if it were different times I would have come and get you" (I always sleep over his house). It sounded like a booty call but not quite simply because as mentioned I always slept over. I told him if anything changed it was him and his response was "oh... I see hmmm" and I ended the conversation by saying I will let him sleep because he sounded sleepy (which he didn't seem to want to get off the phone with me).

I called him last night simply because he called me the night before. He didn't answer but he called me back saying "I didn't see your call my phone isn't picking up good service in the house". He claims he went to sleep and woke up and noticed I called. We don't talk about the relationship, nor do I call or text him just last night. At the moment I am playing it cool, I don't question him just short simple chats. I am not sure I wan him back (hes selfish wants all his freedom and sees me wanting to do things once in a while an issue). I don't have much relationship experience so any help would be gladly accepted.

10