The 7 Types of Boyfriends I've Had, And Why I Stopped Dating Them

1. The brainiac

I dated this one guy who was extremely smart. He graduated top of his class and got accepted into Harvard. The problem I had with dating him was that he concentrated too much on his studies and paid no attention to me. He also thought he was intellectually above everybody else.

2. The gym rat

When I was in college I dated a guy who was too much into himself and not into me. He was always constantly flexing and looking at himself in any mirror he walked by. My problem with dating him was that he always was constantly weighing out his food and going to the gym. He was more infatuated with himself then he was with me.

3. The lacrosse player

I dated this club lacrosse player at my college. He wasn't that bad really; he was friends with a lot of frat guys so we got to go to a lot of frat parties. My problem with him was that for some reason he would always need to bring his lacrosse stick with him and constantly stress about games.

4. The bookworm

I found this gem at my local library. He was really cool and laid back, nothing ever bothered him but that bothered me so I ended up breaking up with him.

5. The artist

He came off as brooding and mysterious so I guess that's what pulled me in. He wasn't much of a talker and was constantly sketching. My problem with him was that he gave off a dark and disturbing vibe.

6. The criminal

Yes, I dated a criminal and I guess the reason I did it was because it gave me a thrill and appetite for adventure. Of course my problem with him was that he got arrested and sentenced to a few years in jail.

7. The stoner

I met this guy at a college party he was hot and older. The thing I liked about him was he gave off a bad boy type vibe kinda like the criminal I dated, but less intense because he wasn't a hardened criminal; he just liked to be rebellious and break the rules. Also, I never smoked growing up because it was forbidden in my house so I guess being with a guy who didn't give a fuck and smoked turned me on. My problem with him was that he wasn't going anywhere in life. He lived in his parent's basement and drove around in a shitty car.

Let me know what you think and if you've ever dated any of these types or can relate. I would really appreciate it.

1045

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• You really don't seem like the type of person a guy should be dating at all. You literally broke up with someone because nothing ever bothered him? Not enough drama to satisfy you, drama queen?

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 44

• 15|33
  • As for the last one, stoners never go anywhere in life. It's a standard rule of thumb.

• I know so many stoners that are software developers/architect, scientists, and engineers...

• Nah. Disagree.

• My boyfriend is a chemist for the UK army, and also a stoner. So I disagree.

• So you date multiple guys of each of these 7 types and still nothing worked out (so at least 14 guys), maybe you have some issues of your own, just saying...

• "Nothing ever bothered him and that bothered me."

How to identify a drama queen.

• I was confused about this too. I understand that some people don't realize the importance of certain things and will think that even something big such as losing their home is "no big deal", and I wouldn't want to be with someone who simply didn't care at all, but if it's someone who is simply a laid back person, I would actually prefer that.

• You need to date a farmer. That'd work

• "My problem with him was that for some reason he would always need to bring his lacrosse stick with him"

lol

• So you dated every type and it's always the guys fault? some women don't understand that logically thinking, we can't always prioritise you in life. It's life, you'll fall in the gutter if you don't get the most important things out the way or you won't go anywhere. They'll be like the last 2 guys you dated that you equally didn't like. They lacked the ambition and drive of the other guys yet you also didn't like the last guys.

Women do not know what they want... at all

• They do know. They want a tall, hot rich guy who has a business that he goes to sometime to work but doesn't need to because ti runs mostly on its own. He also has strong social connection and know many wealthy people. In addition, he has a big dick, and has lots of money to spend on them.

Women always want the well establish doctor, lawyer and high status male but never want to be around them when their busting their butt to achieve their goal.

• impossible for the guy NOT to know that, unless he is *literally* autistic (or on that spectrum to a sufficient degree that he doesn't have even the slightest ability to read people OR the slightest bit of common sense to infer character traits from people's actions).

I mean... Lol smh.
      I'm not personally a gold digger. In fact, I'm as much the opposite as you'll ever find -- I've always had trouble even accepting $5 gifts from someone, and I was super fucking awkward about having even *business* dinners paid for me until my best friend (figuratively) beat some sense into me.
      BUT... I can still absolutely see where the gold diggers are coming from, with all this -- and it's honestyl hard to blame them, when you think about it. If you have stupid guys willing to throw a shit-ton of money and security at you, just for basically showing up, looking good, and not being a total social failure... you can understand why a lot of women would choose that route, right?

Smh.

• i wasn't saying they aren't aware that they are gold diggers. i said they were but that's the reason they lack respect for them. they know they want them for their money so they'll fuck them but don't really place much value in them

• "He was really cool and laid back, nothing ever bothered him but that bothered me so I ended up breaking up with him."

Sound's like me.

You're very picky in my opinion but OK.

• Some of those are really shallow, silly reasons to break up. Like, you broke up with one guy cause nothing bothered him, and another cause he carried his lacrosse stick around? O_______O

• Your never going to be happy in life

• Gals that get lured to me find it appealing that I am straightforward with them. I also get right to the point, and look for whatever is out of place in my life and hers and go on a quest to make things right. I give off a crusader vibe, that has an allure because gals seem to like a man who commits to things.

Why doesn't it work out? Because I expect the same dedication from them. And I don't tolerate lies and deceit coming from them. I'm tenacious about investigating problems they tell me they have; but that same tenacity often indicts them in the end!

Rather than admit they got caught, state their reasons, and offer to be better human beings somehow, they instead try to change the subject. To make it all about me.

They go from treating me like their best friend ever, to acting like I'm some kind of cop that shows up at their door with a warrant, and they are guilty as snot.

• LOL! So what you're saying is that the reason you broke up with them is largely the reason that drew you to them in the first place. That's hilarious.

• Soo, who's on the to-do list?
    The common thread of these stereotypes is that they have something else on his mind rather than being exclusively dependent on you for their self worth. What attracted you to each one? Especially the risky and useless 6 and 7?
    My guess is rhere will be many more and nobody will measure up.

• Op is the kind of girl that will always be used for sex and dumped when she gets pregnant. Shit human

• Sadly, this is true in most cases. I have a friend like this who is a lot like this, and she is always being used by guys for sex.

• So it looks to me from #1-3 that you have dated people who have no sense of balance and get caught up in their work. #4-6 give me the impression that you are really just looking for drama. Given those, I actually suggest hanging out with #7 and learn to appreciate going nowhere for a short amount of time. Maybe learn to not expect other people to give meaning to your life and find some meaning in your own. Pot can help you do that and help you learn to sort out the bullshit for what it is. Then you'll be able to deal with #4 and #5 and you'll find #1-3 to be too silly to bother with.

• Good take - I try not to put people in types and just date the person - As you say these issues may develop as relationship deepens but I wouldn't discount a type, you may meet one that might change - Anyway you might have a subconscious red flag watch going on so you probably wouldn't initially date a person that displays the qualities of that type - I have never sworn off a type but I probably have a latent bias.

I thought those were positive traits. Unless you were talking about issues in the relationship that he didn't care enough about in which case I understand.

• You covered just about every out there.
    Not sure what else you think there is.

• That's weird... how is a guy being calm and not letting things phase and rattle him, somehow considered a bad thing?

• the problem is you wanted all of them to change for you, you didn't like the way they are cause you always thought you deserve better than them...
    women are lazy they would search for a new man rather than giving him a reason to change, you must know that a man won't change him self unless the girl is really special or he thinks she is the one ! so your reaction was the best cause apparently they were not that much interested or moved by you :)

• I don't think anyone should expect anyone to change themselves, no matter how you are.

• @frozenhorizon good luck finding mr. perfect ! :D

• ?
      The idea is to realize that there's going to be some issues with anyone and you want to make sure the things you like about them outweigh the negative before starting a relationship

• More from Guys
    24

What Girls Said 9

• I would have to say my favorite kind to date are programmers. Even if I don't understand what they're doing, it still fascinates me and I love to watch them at work.

• watch DanDoesData. He built a self driving car model live on Youtube (the driving model, not the car) and his workflow is amazing. One terminal for interactive Python, a normal file for code to be saved and a web browser to look things up.

• I will add that if you actually want to learn then watch Sirajology, sentdex or Howard's CS50 class which is filmed like a gameshow.

• You forgot drummers. So incase any woman is like "oh, I'd love a drummer boy." Stawp! Abort mission, do not pass go, do not collect a million dollars.

• What's up with all the angry people? They're acting like they're the ones you broke up with lol.

• More to the point, on how the perception of the facts can be proven by the mistakes you ladies make.

• Its always a two way street? Your saying, nothing has changed you?

• @Gustafsone12584 What are you even talking about? You're making assumptions about me that probably don't even apply and you aren't being clear about what it is that you're saying.

So please, if you're trying to have a discussion explain what it is you're assuming about me, if not then this conversation isn't going to go anywhere because I have no idea what you're saying.

• nice job-

• Girl those types suck. I always date the rich ones and they're the best.

• Opinion owner. What do you bring to the table when you date rich guys. ?

• @Djaaaaaay I know you were being sarcastic dummy, I was agreeing with you. I meant that about her, not you.

• @echoaj Funny how people act especially when they think thier all that. Like rich guys don't see this coming from miles away. Like the rich got there from being blind and stupid.

• I dated a guy that only wanted me for sex. Ended it with him quickly.
    And I briefly dated the "I can't make up my mind" guy.

• Your writing style is so deep and detailed...

• I can't say I can relate to many of these, as I've only dated two guys that didn't really fit into these stereotypes. I dated one guy who was literally so obsessed with video games that he never wanted to leave the house and still to this day lives with his family and has no job or car, and another who just wanted everything his way and wouldn't compromise for anything. Both deal breakers. I definitely don't think that I should be the center of attention or that everything should be my way, but I think that when I could never see my first boyfriend outside of school (where he was forced to put the video games away and go) because he literally ate, slept, and breathed video games, or when there was absolutely no compromising with the second one and everything had to be 100% his way, that is ridiculous. I'm more than fair and put up with well more than I had to from both of them.

• I don't know why this cut off. I'll just continue it here:

... when the second one had to have everything 100% his way with no compromise at all, that that is just ridiculous and where I draw the line. I was more than fair with both of them and put up with way more than I had to.

• I dated a country/rebel guy. The care free attracted me. He cheated and ghosted me. Now I am talking to a sweet but protective guy, dream guy.. he's ghosting me too. Smh. I guess I'm meant to be single for a bit. Good luck girl.

• Why do people ghost? :(

• Glad I could help, reading that it helped you made me smile haha :)

• @Dipsy glad I could return the favor :)