Don't Make These Critical Mistakes on Your Online Dating Profile!

Bad grammar is going to happen. It happens to me every day. Really bad grammar is a different story. Here are my top cringe worthy mistakes and faux pas I see in online dating profiles. 👇

Top Grammar Mistakes:

1. I am looking for a women who is funny. (you mean woman)

2. If your looking for a down to earth guy. (you mean you're)

3. I has my own house and good paying job. (you mean have)

4. I would say know to a one night stand. (you mean no)

5. I'm first and for most a gentlemen. ( you mean first and foremost / gentleman)

Top Faux Pas

1. Looking for a real man. (plastic men beware)
2. Just as comfortable in jeans as I am in a dress. (Thanks for the heads up)
3. Luv to laugh. (don't we all?)
4. I'm not good at writing about myself. (than writes about self.)
5. I work hard and play hard. (awesome)
6. Love to travel. (to 1989?)
7. Looking for my partner in crime. (said Fonze)
8. NO HOOK UPS PLEASE. (all in caps of course)
9. Love going out or staying in. (Thank god)
10. Love good food. (because bad food is just ok)

Your dating profile is prime real estate. Don't waste it on cliche sayings that you heard about 10 years ago. Always get someone to proof read your dating profile. We all make mistakes. Don't let the easy ones like this screw up your online game. 🍷🍷🍷

Let us know what grammar mistakes get you fired up below! 👇💯

1926
coachTanthony is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't use online dating but if I did, I would overlook spelling mistakes and grammatical errors... like the ones in your Take.

English may be their second language, they may have learning difficulties, or eyesight problems etc The reasons are endless. I'm not turned off by grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. Unless it was totally illegible

• I don't see anything wrong with loving to travel except that it can account for many possibilities and situations. I understand the rest and get them though.

• I see nothing wrong with it too. You're just letting the guy know that if he wants to be with you he better have his passport ready. But some guys see this as a "gold digger" train of thought. Because they think you want them to pay for them. Fine by me though. If that is your mentality then it's best we never meet. 👍

• @SilenRose It's always better to be specific... like I love to travel. I have been to Greece, France, and Rome, would love to see Thailand in the future. This gives you something to chat about when messaged especially if they love to travel and have or want to go to any of those places.

• I mentioned I like to travel but I didn't put the places since I figured the pictures of me in those places was enough. 🤷‍♀️

Most Helpful Guys

• It's not a grammar mistake but a cliché: "I love to take walks on the beach."

It seems that at least 80% of women say that. If it was true, there would be an endless parade of POF, match, OKC, OurTime, Tinder, etc. candidates at the beach, the mayors of beach towns would be required to limit beach access, and the beaches would be closed once per month for repairs.

redondowriter.typepad.com/.../line.jpg

• Yeah no doubt. I love when they say I love to hike, camp and fish but when you talk to them they haven't hiked in 10 years, fished in 20 and never camped in their life. They say it sounded adventurous. Total Fail!

• From my experience, the girls I’ve met who say “no hookups” I ended up hooking up with on the first date and they were the ones who initiated it lol.

I feel like using dating sites today, not tinder, but OKC, POF, etc are very hard to find someone that stands out. A lot of times I’ll see millions of profiles that look the same that say “I like to travel” “I like walks on the beach, exercising, music, traveling” without any specifics and yet these same people wonder why they don’t get interesting messages.

Then there’s the cringeworthy “Just Ask” 🙄 lol. It’s like what am I gonna ask you about? Your thoughts on the 1994 Detroit Tigers?

• Bahahahaha.. omg too funny dude. Yeah.. Just Ask is a huge one! I can't believe I forgot that.

• haha agree 100%

• @vishna which is why appearance matters but isn't everything

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 17

• Lol! this is funny! you sound super smart!

• Grammar and punctuation just shows you are educated in some way. When I'm texting someone I am relaxed and I don't think of grammar or punctuation. But of course if someone is using numbers for letters or they are writing really weird where it's hard to understand then that's annoying.

• Good points

I have given up on online dating sites.

Either they are free (POF) and have crappy matches and losers.

Or

You pay but gen get nothing of any value. Peeps just wanting to build their ego, "I got 50 responses today!"

• I'm looking for a bionic gentleman who wants to travel with me to 1989 where we can be partners in crime but while we work hard we play hard... but NO ONE NIGHT STANDS!

• Na I don't do online dating, the men that use those sites/apps are almost always super desperate, they send cheesy pickup lines and the dreaded peen pic. I found my man out in the real world, kinda like a rare pokémon lol

• "I'm not good at writing about myself." this. is. so. true. Who wants an unimaginative lazy person.

• many of my friends wire that and they hit up by men left and right, why are unimaginative girls better than average males who actually try on their profiles?

• @Armourdillo No, that's reality.

• Or the people who say I hate this question when being asked what their hobbies/interests are. It’s like well what the fuck am I supposed to ask you? I’m not a mind reader.

• I don't think it's the problem of misspelling, I'm sure everyone knows how to spell simple words but they just can't see upclose on the screen. (Are they long sighted?)

• People who say " could of" instead of "could have"! That really grates on my nerves!

• Hilarious

• Nice take

• This was funny. Great mytake 😁

• Too funny.

• --------.---------

• I am rolling on the floor laughing mwahahaha

• Online dating... Never met any quality men there before lol pass

• What makes you see this? I’ve had very high success in online dating

• Short term (other than its literally meaning) is basically your typical friends with benefits, no strings attached relationship. But you are actively seeking someone that you want to have a real (exclusive) relationship with (hence why its expected not to last long). This is usually what I prefer doing as it's pretty exhausting trying to hook up with everything "with a vagina and a smartphone",

Hopefully we both find love that we are looking, its tough out there ain't it?

• @Wraithofsparta ah I see. I always defined it in it's literal meaning but it never sat right with me. One guy asked to be in a short term relationship with me and I declined. I appreciated his honesty so we both wouldn't waste our time in further talks, but it made me wonder why he didn't want to persue a long term. He had in his profile he was looking for long and short term. I guess my intuition was correct.

But yeah hopefully we do. It's hard out here. 🤣

• One guy just sent a ‘🙋🏻‍♂️‘ like come on dude, you just look lazy now and that’s all I can gather about you.

• Nice take

What Guys Said 24

• Maybe I am just the forgiving sort, but I'd overlook grammatical errors if I like the profile's contents. The point is well taken though, that it's part of making a good impression.

• the "Looking for a real man" and "no hookups" are actually the same thing and hard passes for me on dating sites. it's basically saying "i've been fucked with a lot and now it's your turn to make up for all my horrible past experiences" xD like heck no. gett off my turf and get a therapist.

• Spot on dude! Everytime you say what you don't want you are basically telling everyone what you have already had.

• Truth be told, the bottom stuff is what women often write. But I'm pretty sure that doesn't stop women, even average janes from getting plenty of right swipes and messages. Or men minding. Yes I know the creeps and thirsty men will obviously not care. But this usually won't hold off from decent, non creepy men from swiping right on a pretty girl.

• It's really quite simple. A good profile is one that creates positive emotions in the other person, i. e. funny. Your first job is to get their attention so they message back. Listing hobbies is plain and won't separate you from the thousands of others you are competing against.

• 7/10 OF your Top Faux Pas i just don't agree with you. That's literally the about me section and a description about the person someone might date.

For example i love traveling and seeing the world from various places and also doing vacations abroad, so i don't want women to expect me to raise a family and kids and get friggin married but to either travel with me or do their thing.

Oh wait, were you actually being sarcastic 🤔?

• Those are so broad and generic. People should say they would live to visit Europe or France someday and would love a partner who wants the same. Not just say.. loves to travel. That really tells me nothing.

• Well it really depends on what app or site you are on. If you are using Tinder, I tell all my clients to keep it short... real short. If you are on Match or POF... you can expand a bit but still keep it short. Nobody likes to read a book... agree with you there! Thanks for the comment dude!

• Except the woman i used to date loves to read plenty of books.
      No problem mate!

• I appreciate the advice but I will simply never make an online profile again.

• I really take no notice of grammar mistakes. I am more concerned about the actual content. A few grammar mistakes would be the least of my worries.

• Actuaylly, I. think its cute if a girl can't text write.

• hmm so what would you suggest to someone who is up for both outdoor and indoor activities?

From my personal experience I see women put on their profiles that they are into hiking, traveling, the outdoors etc etc and for me I'm like, that sounds like fun and I would be totally down for that. I'm also the kind of guy who is down to do just about anything as long as it's fun or rewarding, So having nights in is totally fine with me as well.

I guess what would you say for those who are very eclectic in what they like to do?

• Being specific is great. People just need to make sure if they put hiking and haven't hiked in 10 years they may be attracting the wrong people. Outdoor and indoor activities tells me nothing really. People should share some short stories of their indoor and outdoor activities so one can get a sense of that they like and do.

• Biggest crucial mistake I ever made on one was filling it out. Real life is so much better

• These are nuthin'. Check mine on the same subject... :)

• I don't think online dating works. To begin with it's in the virtual world where everyone can be anything they want to be, literally, virtually. Those that have never been successful in their lifetimes can and probably will get their success in the online virtual world, have what they desire, be who they want to be. The problem is is when it comes to coming back to the real world where they can't back any of their virtuality up. Which is coincidentally why you'd never meet scammers in person. The only difference between somebody that lives their life in the virtual world and the scammer is the individual living in the virtual world has a desire to live or have the life the they can't have in the real world while the scammer has the desire to get into your pockets. So if she's 950lbs in real life, she may be 120lbs in the virtual, and while he has no hair in the real world, he's a wall street hippy in the virtual world.

• 14 million people are online dating. Of course it works. Online dating is just a tool to meet people in real life... it's not meant for people to have a relationship totally online. That is something totally different.

• Then there's the profile where she spends most of the text ranting about what she DOESN'T want.

• Interesting Mytake

• Grammar, that will solve everything!

• Good advice

• My dating profile? 404 not found.

• I’m done trying online dating.

• Dont suppose to

• You mean *then* writes about self right?

• Fit...

• 👍👍

• I don’t like the do and don’t.. it limits people

• I agree. Thanks.