Why You Should Always Include a Full-Body Photo in Online Dating

In the age of the Internet,

people's attention spans are very, very short. It's a see-one-thing-and-on-to-the-next kind of attitude with most people. A lot of the time that's not our fault; there's just so much to see right? The Internet is just too big.

So the reason why I say that if you are dating or attempting to date via online dating sites such as OKCupid or Tinder or Plenty of Fish or wherever, you must include a full-body photo of yourself in your dating profile, and if you do not, you are not helping yourself.

Why does it matter whether you include a full-body photo? And how is it a negative thing if you avoid it? Well, simply put-- people want to know ahead of meeting you whether you have a body they would find to be physically attractive.

In my own time spent online dating (was successful, met a few girls), I immediately viewed as "no thanks" any of the dozens and dozens of girls who didn't include a pic of themselves where I could clearly see what they actually looked like and whether they was heavy/fat or not or had a decent body, because I figured they were trying to hide something. One girl I did meet up with was heavier and I didn't know it, because her profile only had pics of her face and head/shoulders and a bit of cleavage. She was a nice gal and all and we had a good time, but I wasn't interested in her, and if I'd known ahead of time that she was heavy, I could have saved us both some time and trouble.

It is disingenuous to misrepresent yourself online in dating. And I'm not even talking about being a straight-up catfish; it's still wrong for you to make a version of yourself that isn't exactly a flat-out lie, but isn't the truth either. Physical attraction is extremely important to the overwhelming majority of people, yes? So a pic like ^ this one right above IS IMPORTANT. It does NOT MATTER if you are insecure; I get that insecurity about your body happens, guys and gals, and of course everyone is insecure about such things. I mean you're putting yourself out there for everyone to see, right?

But! not being honest about the kind of body you have, immediately for people to view, is a surefire way for the opposite sex to be uninterested and move on to someone else.

If you actually want your online dating experience to prove fruitful, and you currently only have pics of your head/shoulders on your profiles, then you should consider putting at least one or maybe two full-body shots there. If you want someone to accept you for who you are, then it is a must.

~ Thaaaanks. Hugs and kisses. Good luck out there.

2131
Anon-ymous1 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I include a full body picture (modest type picture). I’d rather know ahead of time if it’s not going to work out for that reason.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've come to the conclusion that if a women only has pictures from her shoulders up she's fat and trying to hide the fact she's fat

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 20

• What did we ever do before online dating?
    My husband and I met through the personals in the paper. We had absolutely no idea what each other looked like but we were both happy with what we saw, but I was more interested in knowing if he was a decent guy.

• at this point, I think your username should be womanizer

• I agree. I think it just eliminates the false assumptions people might make.

• I've seen a lot of really fat girls make themselves appear much thinner in selfies, which is really misleading, so I agree!

• That's too complicated to take. They'll get one from when I'm out or something but I'm hardly in pictures so facials is what they're getting the most if anything

• I agree. I always used full shots and many different ones to make sure there were no surprises. I was heavy at the time but still got more dates than a female "associate" who was skinny lol. That pissed her off. Even her dates preferred me many times (we went with each other on first dates for safety). She had a bad attitude and I'm cool as fuck so many of them wound up talking more to me lol. So women and men should be them self and not hide. The right people will like you. If they don't they aren't a good match no harm just move on. I met my husband when I was heavy and now I'm the smallest I've ever been and have been for several years. He found me sexy then and now so just be yourself.

• I only used face pics the one time I tried online dating because I didn't want to attract the wrong people and I've gotten a crazy amount of matches. Ladies, show what you want to show !

• Online dating didn't work out. My current boyfriend met on Facebook. He did have a full body pic. as well as me in my photo in Facebook.

• facetune motherfucker

• Definitely, that is a great rule. Nice take!

• Show more from Girls
    10

What Guys Said 30

• Good Take, and good points. If multiple pics can be uploaded, than of course it's possible to have different types of shots, and that might be ideal.

My primary focus in online dating has been women in Asia, and I've found that, when it comes to physical appearance, they're usually more concerned with a guy's face than his body, plus you can anyhow infer from my face that I am not overweight.

• You should definitely include a full body shot in your dating profile. Hopefully they are not using photoshop. It would be such a waste of time to try and be someone you are not but I have seen my share. Nice Take.

• And as an addendum to this, please don't have ten shots of the face. Or shots with a Snapchat filter. This isn't your Instagram, it's a place for you to show WHO you are. So a few with family, friends, and places or activities that are important to you.

• Yeah, I agree fully. As you said physical attraction is important and in most cases it is often the physical attraction that initially brings people together. Recent, clear photos are just about transparency. It's been a while since I did the online dating thing but I saw some god-awful profile pics.

• which photo looks better to you of her?

instagram. com/limillims

• 100^ this. When girls are like why does he just want coffee or a drink to start? He’s so cheap? NO, we’ve been on too many dates where the girl was a 10 on her profile and a 4 in real life. Guys do this too, but men are crappy picture takers and often look better in person (at least that’s what most dates have told me). Let’s just all stop wastin each other’s time with bullshit please...

• I guess I’m the rarity lol. I was honest in my profile and looked like my photos. I even put one up of myself five years ago before I lost thirty lbs. Coffee dates were fine with me. They’re cheap and good way to talk, and if you don’t like each other at least neither one of spent a crap load of money. I was never at a loss for responses however I stopped online dating because the guys that messaged me assumed because I was over thirty that I was in a rush to get married and have kids like they were (I’m not although I would like to have a family and a husband).

• Interesting but I don't trust online dating those are gold diggers looking for guys with a lot of money. A friend one time did a test. He listed himself as a security guard and nobody was interested in him. The he change his job status to a doctor and he got one message after the other. Most of those dating sites are a bunch of phonies anyway not interested

• I guess? But that's not the point really... I mean your photos don't have anything to do with that.

• If that is their goal, they're generally going about it the wrong way.

• a lot of people who know they are fat, sincerely believe that if they can just meet you in real life, that their sparkling personality will win you over.

• These are all great pointers. Thank you. I agree totally about the full body pictures. I know so many people that just take a pic of their face and some times shoulder and mmet people and then complain because the physical body did not meet their expectations. Physical appearance is a high note in online dating and if you're too picky about them getting to know the real you, it becomes more difficult with you limiting what everyone will see based on your face alone. The whole picture matters. Again awesome input. I hope people will take this advice into consideration.

• I have very few photos of me. Almost none are full body. I'm not unconfident in my body and what I have to offer I just don't have any friends to take a full body photo lol.

• I always include pictures, Im too proud of my looks to skip them 😂

• Show more from Guys
    20