My Thoughts About Pickable; The Dating App

(Disclaimer: After reading the article, I saw a lot of generalization and I know people (women) hate that, so if you think you aren’t like that, then im not talking about you :) )

I apologize for the long...loooong article...

PICKABLE
PICKABLE

I forgot where I heard it from, I believe someone on GaG mentioned Pickable the dating app. See, I have this habit of checking out new online dating apps and sites, im guessing that though im against it, some part of me hopes one of them actually works, you know. Though I don’t think it can beat the rush of making the approach in real life for me…there’s something about that, something...pure and real.

When I first looked up/researched Pickable, it was like “Pickable: The dating app that is changing dating” or at least that’s what the topic of the article said. As someone who has been very interested in the dating process, I figured “wow, someone has a new idea..”…then I saw “Pickable: the dating app that gives women the power”…that’s when I got a bad feeling started seeing dark clouds. I had to investigate further.

All I see is strange clouds
All I see is strange clouds

Before I start picking it apart, here is how the app works…”Women start by downloading the app and browsing anonymously. That's right — they don't have to include a photo, bio, or even their name. Men, on the other hand, create a simple profile with their name and photo, as well as an optional bio.
When a woman sees someone she wants to strike up a conversation with, all she has to do is shoot him a photo, which he can either accept and start chatting, or skip and move along.”

For women:

Easy go lucky right?
Easy go lucky right?

Seems pretty simple right? so I downloaded it, and wow…as a guy they are really really anal about making sure you put in the right information and verify everything, so much for simple huh. I still didn’t know what my dark clouds and bad feelings were, I attributed it to caution, and plodded on. After I was done, it asked for a photo, and then it said “become Pickable” after the upload.

For your entertainment
For your entertainment

The app was designed to make people meet in person, so it uses your location and only people around you can see you. Here’s a fun fact…the moment I saw “…that gives women all the power”…lol…I knew it was going to be disaster. Sure, it’s gonna be popular with the women…anything that empowers em right? But this is the app equivalent of a woman asking a guy out and we all know that is very rare…I noticed the same thing on the app as well.

So after the man “becomes pickable”, he is able to be viewed by women In His Vicinity for a period of 24 hours (that’s another fucking annoying factor), the man can see how many women are on the app in his location and how many views he gets. The concept being, when she sees who she might want to talk to, she would reach out…again..the equivalent of asking a guy out.

Men face:

Hate that timer lol
Hate that timer lol

There were surprisingly a lot of women who were on it every time I checked, I got a few views, and for the first week of the two weeks I tried the app, I got views…but NO ONE reaching out. Later on during the second week, after I’d switched pics every 24 hours with different themed pics ranging from rags to tuxedos, I got a couple. Which I ignored, I was irritated at the point. Finally, I could define what my dark clouds and bad feelings were.

Research power!!!
Research power!!!

I have said for a very long time that every woman has a list…guys have theirs too. The difference between both is that guys are willing to bend on their list. So he has 10 things he thinks his ideal woman should have and he meets a girl who only fulfills 7 or 8, he’ll work with it. Women, as far as I've seen do NOT bend on that list, that is why;

1) Many guys have to lie about themselves in order to “become pickable” to her,

2) Women end up making some very bad choices because eventually, the lie can only last so long.

This app ENCOURAGES that list, now she has the power lol…SHE gets to pick (like she wasn’t before), and if all 10 things on that list are not complete or clear in that ONE PHOTO, she won’t. Add that to the fact that she has to make the approach and you can see this app being totally useless considering the goal behind it. I figured a guy would have to tailor whatever photo he uses..to fit the kind of woman he would want to meet up with…I didn’t have the heart to go above and beyond for something I wasn’t going to follow through with lol…maybe that tainted my research. Maybe another time if I wanna try it out again, I can take a pic of me in a fitted custom tux, 3 cars and a white picket fenced house in the background. See how many reach out then. Im not bending over backward for nothing, never did offline, ain't doing it online. For now, I just wanted to see the concept behind the app, and see if women were actually using the “power” It gave em.

POWERRRR!!!
POWERRRR!!!

I like the fact that the app uses your locale, I like that its geared towards making a face to face meet, hell, personally I like that I can sit back and be chosen AND approached, most of what guys get are dumbass hints, but that’s not really the case…every 24 hours…you get a notification saying “well played”, you are shown your views, chat reach outs and what rank you scored on views in your local area. And if you don’t get any chat reach out, you can
A. Change your pic and try again
B. Add a bio, which is shorter than a twitter post. Not really a bio if you ask me. More like a one-liner.

But again…this app had a good idea, but it missed one HUGE factor…its very own target audience. Women.

Whaaaaat?!!!!
Whaaaaat?!!!!

We are talking about creatures who would take 3-4 hours getting ready for an event, let’s not even factor in planning time and shopping time for the event, just to get to the event and sit in the corner. Remember High School fellas…? Had to go up to them and Ask to dance…cuz no one was on the floor lol. Come to a dance and not dance smh.

Pickable is doing the same thing…women are given the opportunity to make the choices…but all they want to do…seem to do…is lurk in the background and look. Except this time…the guy can’t see you looking so, no moves are made. So far, I haven’t heard any success stories (no surprises there) …im pretty sure there are none…because it seems like an online version of the same shit that happens offline. The guy has to APPEAR pickable (basically present a lie) to even get a chance. Now it all has to be in just ONE picture lol…yeah, like thats going to happen.

This may be the outcome
This may be the outcome

So lastly..i imagined, what if this were the other way around (I imagine that all the time, the other way around) and women were the ones to post a pic and the guys browsed anonymously…after a lot of scenarios..i finally settled on the fact that it would just turn into another Tinder, probably worse, seeing as women would have to make an impression just off of one picture…so im guessing lots of tight or skimpy clothing, in an attempt to look “sexy”, which in turn would make the guys just want sex only. There were close to two thousand women in my vicinity with the app…im guessing the other way around, it would be like ten thousand plus guys.

Bottom-line..Pickable could have been a great idea…they just put too much “power” to the wrong audience. I say they should have gone the questionnaire method if they wanted to use anonymity. The Man fills out a questionnaire as to what he is into and likes, and when the woman anonymously goes on…she gets a list of interests she can check off and is shown just ONLY pics of guys with the similar interests, and when she picks one to “view” their bio and other stuff, she HAS to reach out or it breaks her anonymity and HE can reach out, the choice goes to him.

What am i interested in??
What am i interested in??

If not, women will browse forever and never make a choice.

I'm going to try it again as a woman and see where that goes. Anyone else here tried it or wants to try it and tell me how it went?

(If you got this far)
I know there will be a few haters on here who would say that im mad because I didn’t get “expected” results or wasn’t bombarded by chat requests…and that’s why I wrote the article…but let me remind you about the top part of the article when I said I don’t DO dating apps…it involves lying to seem attractive…and I don’t lie...
Secondly…In the middle of the article, I said I wasn’t going to bend over backwards…
Thirdly…this was research purposes only. I work better without a middle man (or middle app). Always have…always will.

1010

Most Helpful Girls

• Bumble is horrible for the same reasons. I don't want to make the first move, and usually guys do. Why force women to make the first move? You'd think it'd be more empowering to not be forced to do anything, and to instead only do what you're comfortable with? I'd must rather a dating app where men make the first move. It's more natural

• oooh.. Bumble... is that another one? never heard of that.
      and why force women? because if there aren't forced, they won't. thats my whole point up there... women aren't forced, hence they barely pick. I tried reaching out to other pickable guys... didn't meet a lot cuz they gave up after a while. the women just browsed to look and didn't reach out. The dating app where men make the first moves... isn't that every other dating app?

• @cavmanier ain't that always?

• I'm not big on online dating, but I think this sounds like Bumble? Where it's the woman who initiates? I can see why they made it this way, GaG isn't even a dating site, yet men bombard with messages. I stopped replying altogether because constantly messaging "I'm in a relationship" or "not interested" was just a waste of my time. I just put in my profile that I don't respond, and dudes STILL message. Ugh.
    I went off on a tangent, anyways, I can see why they chose this method. And I'd agree with it, HOWEVER, women by and large don't ask men out. So it's like you said, the equivalent of a middle/high school dance where they stand against the wall and just stare.

I do like your idea, there should be a questionnaire and you only get matched with those results. You should make a dating app like that, it's a good idea lol

I can't wait to see the results for you as a woman lol
    I actually was thinking of trying online dating as a guy just to see why men hate it so much lol

• Maybe we can compare notes. I have to find a device to do with with though. guessing i'll use my tablet. and also... i should make an app where its a questionnaire thing... i'll look into that in 2019... I've been looking for a new project after i created the Diesel Dating System anyway.

• What should i call it? and maybe at some point, i can insert Diesel rules into it.

Most Helpful Guys

• Young women may talk a good game and say the PC things about wanting more power, control, etc., but some things don't change over time. Women want to know that they are valued and they extract that feeling from the act of being pursued. As much as young people tell me, "Times are different, old man! We're different! It's not the same!" time certainly proves that things are the same.

• Dude great article man.. Props ! Here is the way I see it... you said...

I say to those guys... start living a more attractive life and you won't have to lie... Too many dudes out there want to be James Bond from their couch and it ain't going to happen. Action creates attraction and if you are a lame ass dude having to lie about a life you don't have than I am sorry but those women deserve better! Again man.. Awesome take!

• Coming from you sir, thats a hell of a compliment. And its sad that many of us have to resort to lying. The lying is never the hard part, its keeping up with it. I only say what i am, be it from the couch or in person... if she doesn't like it, she can walk... plenty more where that came from.

• I agree man! Thanks for the MHO!

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 8

• Awesome job dude

• I've never heard of it, but your results are unsurprising.
    All dating apps sound like pinterest or shopping apps to me.. it's all about filling those few minutes while you're taking a break or waiting in line with a fun activity that doesn't require you to move, not about actually "buying" something.
    I'm not sure I'd take those apps any more seriously, if I were single. Like you said, I wouldn't be able to tell from one pic if I like him.

• Thank you. I'm single. And lonely. I tried dating apps with little luck. I recently met a married man who sleeps around. I just don't know.

• I’ll get back to you when I have a couple hrs to read this.

• looool... sounds good. but hours though? ouch... its like a 5 min read...

• Good take

• Interesting.

• Good Take.

• Are there people who still waste time on these prehistoric apps?

What Guys Said 8

• It's yet another app that's great if you look like an Abercrombie model, and useless for the other 97% of men.

• yup... and even if you look like that... she will just look, fantasize and NEEEVER reach out to talk.

• Most of the time, that's true, but a small percentage will. Of course, of that small percentage, a great many are psycho, drunks/druggies, or otherwise low-value girls looking for a guy out of her league.

• thats true too... or fat. lol

• Well dating apps in general are broken, you have no connection, you have no way of filtering out unwanted "noise", your going off of what you think you want which is never what you actually want (and in my experience this goes double for women), and since its almost always putting power in the hands of the woman, she is now being bombarded making a decision which she would normally not really make (women in general (yes not all women) tend to go the route of least risk which means waiting for the man to make the move, and what do you do when you have hundreds of guys making the move?) while also causing her to feel elevated i. e. studies have shown the one who is approached tends to be pickier then the one doing the approaching so what would normally be a match gets passed up simply because he is approaching her but worse, he is approaching her along with possibly hundreds of other men (how can any one compete with hundreds of men? Especially when you cannot use personality or character to better your odds? In the end we are judged on the superficial and have our worth determined by the superficial simply by the way its designed). Not a fan of dating apps really.

• Woman already have the power on dating apps. Even a low value woman is bombarded. Over inflating their worth.

• low value... gotta define that to me...

• @Wammu lol.. i need to put you through my crash course. apparently you dont understand women.

• Unless your name is Todd V, I sincerely doubt you have anything of value to offer me.

• Yeah, it's just another bumble.

• Can it be used to find hot Asian women?

• If you stay in an Asian community and they have the app... sure, why not. but you'll never know. Men aren't privy to jack.

• There's plenty of Asian dating sites, but they're filled with catfish from India.

• i wouldn't know... i don't use dating sites or apps

• love the mytake. :)

• thank you sir, thank you for responding to the invite.. you know i never invite people lol

• lol well you should

• Nah... too cocky n proud for that lol. People who know my stuff know when i write an article... its a big fucking deal.

• How to master the art of dating online 101:
    Be attractive
    Be athletic
    Be rich

• I'm in a relationship, so never really was dating in an app-based dating world. One thing I DID find useful (and I'm not sure how common it is now that apps are big) was speed dating. I was HUGELY skeptical at first, but it was very useful in a number of ways for a number of reasons:

1) Virtually everyone there was single and was interested in meeting someone. I say "virtually" everyone because occasionally a girl would drag along a friend of hers who was in a relationship but just came for moral support. It was useful to be in an environment where almost all the girls were single and looking because in the "real world" if you see a girl you find attractive, you could start up a conversation with her but there's still a decent chance she isn't even single. So speed dating mostly solve this problem.
    2) You can see "the goods" for real. No photo-shopping, no favorable lighting or angles. What you see is what you get. You can tell if she has good or bad skin, a nice smile or a wonky one, is fit/thin or no, has big boobs or small ones, etc. Not only that but since you're live and in person you can see how she moves which is something that I personally find very useful. Being able to see the girls for real also enables you to establish roughly what percentage of single, searching women you personally find attractive enough to want to date. For me that figure worked out to between 1 and 2 in 10
    3) Speed dating gets you to constantly repeat the critical first phase of any interaction with a potential date. All that small talk that you need to do to hit it off with a girl, you'll get to practice again and again. That's helpful, because you can see what works and what doesn't and adapt. Also, it just makes you better at doing it. I realized very quickly that unless I was constantly approaching women in real life and doing this a lot, I'm really not very good at it! It's like anything else: If you have to hit a free throw in the clutch to win a game, having done 1000 free throws in practice will come in VERY handy. Otherwise, you're leaving things to random chance and that usually fails. (Incidentally, this approach also works for job interviews--something I'm working on re-learning to get better there too!)
    4) Once you've gotten your small talk wrap down, you also get feedback on how well the ladies are liking it. Personally, I found that of the women I tried to match with, I had a hit rate of about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4. Putting this together with the rate at which I found girls attractive, that meant that I would on average match with around 1 in 40 girls
    5) Volume, volume, volume! Any given speed dating event tended to have from between 15 and 30 girls depending on how big it was. So you wouldn't really have to go to more than a couple before you finally matched. Bear in mind, I was in a big city, so it was EASY to find an event like this on multiple days during the week (if you were willing to leave your neighborhood). In retrospect, I would should have been doing this IMMEDIATELY upon moving to just get into practice. I'd advise any guy to do the same.

• I once thought about it, but not to be matched, just to get the experience of it and compare it to the shit on TV... Two things stopped me, one, my city ain't that big or popular like other popular cities... you know what i mean. And two, myself... i think i was too lazy. I still liked the idea of that "out of the blue" cold meeting kinda thing.
      Its still on my bucket list.

• Yeah--it's ideal in a big city. You can go and never see anyone again afterwards. Plus they have a few events each week, so always plenty of opportunity. In terms of the "out of the blue" thing, I would think of it as practice so that when you find yourself in an out of the blue moment you'll have had a LOT of practice at early stage conversations.