My boyfriend asked me to choose between him or my religion, what should I do?

Me and my boyfriend have different religion and he lately watch loys of videos and real a lot about my religion and he said my religion is evil and he wanna save me from evil so out of love he share with me what he knows and what he found out. and now he want me to choose either him or my religion. What should i do? if i choose. him i will lose all my family and if i choose my religion i will lose him. whay should i do? i dont wanna lose anyone.

6078

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Some people need to condemn other religions to feel good about their own choice. Muslims do that, Christians do that. However, faithful Muslims and faithful Christians do not go around condemning other people. You should question his devotion to his religion. Some Christians are hateful people but they did not learn anything about hate in the Bible.

2. He is not discussing this with you to find a mutually acceptable solution; he is telling you what to do. Dating gives you a foretaste of what a relationship will be like if you make it permanent. This guy is not looking for an equal partner; he is looking for someone to subjugate to his control. Would you want a marriage with a husband who tells you what you can and cannot do?

3. If you found a way to stay with this guy and you were eventually married, how would you resolve all of the problems and conflicts you would have about children, observance of religious holidays, etc.

4. Sometimes, life does not give us great choices. Sometimes, the choices are simply awful. That is part of the reality of becoming an adult and living an adult life.

5. Think about what your life will be like 5 or 10 years from now, looking back at March, 2017 and the choice you had to make. Is there one choice that will make you proud of how you conducted yourself? Is there a choice that you would continue to question and probably regret?

I think you know what you need to do. I wish you good luck with this horrible situation. After it is over, learn a lesson from this experience so that you will be a stronger and wiser person. If you are a serious person who dates to find a mate for marriage, there is no reason to ever date someone who doesn't meet the minimum qualifications. For you, that includes his religion. Think about other qualifications for your potential mate and be aware of them. If you are looking for a husband, why date someone who could never be your husband.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss this in private.

Most Helpful Girl

• You should choose whichever/whomever you love the most. Personally speaking, I'd despise it if my S. O tried to throw me such an ultimatum, but that's just me.

• indeed.. i was angry but being angry and fight with him doesn't and won't solve anything. so i remain calm and try to understand and talk to him.. it worked...

• what's your religion and what his?

• im a muslim and he's a Christian

What Guys Said 77

• If he's a Christian and you're a Muslim, he shouldn't be dating you, and you shouldn't be dating him.
    If you convert on your own that's fine, but matters of faith are way more important than romance.
    As a Christian, I wish everyone was a Christian, but any conversion for the sake of romance is built on shaky ground.
    End this romance immediately.

May you be led in all truth concerning this matter.

• Amen. MAy i be led to the truth. Thanks

• Say goodbye to him. I get having different beliefs/religions and how it can come between two people sometimes but if someone loves you, they don't ask you to choose. They accept you for who you are and what you believe in. He wants you to change, and if you do it for him, you'll end up not happy in the long run, may even resent him for it down the road because you're not being your true self.

• True love does not give ultimatums EVER !. Your choice or beliefs are yours and is your decision alone to choose what you desire. Never should anybody put such an emphasis to give up something special to retain what you already have. You were the person already set before he even was a thought or consideration so if he will not all the sudden not respect a part of you then what else will he try for you to dishonor who you are. Nobody is that important enough for you to give up what is already apart of you.
    A real lover would respect you for all you are.
    I would give him the ultimatum to either accept me or kick rocks.

This is a very poor character defect on his part. I would doubt he would stop trying to control you at just your religious beliefs. RED FLAG !

• You don't get everything you wanted in life.

But in your case I'd suggest you choose your family. If your boyfriend forces you to choose something like that, he isn't worth it.

• I know what I like, and what works for me, and I simply call it my "Way" as it is NOT an organized religion (can't follow all their nonsense!!!)
    I pick and choose the things that make sense to me, as I meet people, and live my life. I don't know if there is "ONE WAY" that is "TRUE", and I think that each person should CHOOSE what they think it right, and what works for them, and helps them, when they need that.
    I am VERY 'Spiritual' but not 'Religious' in the traditional sense of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Tao, Hinduism, or many others.
    Meeting new people is an opportunity to learn what they like, and what works, for them, and maybe I like some parts of their 'Way'.
    I could NEVER, EVER be with someone that said I was 'WRONG' and tried to 'convert' me!!!
    Dump this guy, and find someone that respects you!

• Choose one: Boyfriends come and go. Your family is your only family.

• I recommend you for best mho

• yes i so agree with you... religion matter should not be discussed..

• i think that's unfair to suggest that a religion is evil. all religions have good a positive messages. it's up to subscriber to that religion to choose to follow tenets that are "evil". so it's nice that he's concerned about you but he should judge you for you and not the religion you follow.

• You didn't state what your religion is, but for me, my religion is Christianity. I believe that's the only correct religion (maybe the Jews get a pass also because they follow the same god, and they're the chosen people), and all other religions are deceptions that eventually lead to hell. If Christianity is your religion, you should not give it up for a man. After all, he will only be around for a lifetime, but eternity in either heaven or hell is something to consider.

• 1. No religion is evil !!
    2. Your boyfriend is either an asshole or he is trying to be one.
    3. You should be applying your mind first as it may come out as a bitter truth.. but you need to think it yourself.. no one does thst for you at all!!
    4. CHOOSE YOUR RELIGION.. coz this is what u been practicing for so long... n one fine day a jerk comes n decides ur religion is evil? Think about it b4 u even ask others!

You may want to unlike my post but that's the bitter truth.. he is a jerk!

• Simple really... if religion sacrifice is required, then both should do it. Why one religion should be sacrificed over another and why only one required to sacrificed and not the other? See if HE is willing to sacrifice HIS religion for you as well, otherwise this 'whose religion is better bullshyt' will never end. Also love is all about fairness and neutrality but people tend to forget, Respect is part of love. Unless you know how it feels, you can't decide for the other until experienced

• Love is not all about fairness and neutrality. This is an issue about compatibility. Well he is asking a lot it's not unreasonable either. Nor would it be unreasonable of her to refuse. Sometimes couples are just incompatible, and it's no one's fault.

• im not asking her to refuse but some come into the light when put in the other's shoes. I dont presume I know exactly what love is in all its glory but at least we can predict when something isn't fairr. In this context, love is indeed about fairness and neutrality... or my term for 'compatibility' but if we use that word we presume to know the relationship overall because it encompasses not just religion but how they relate to each other which feels like we are presuming a lot about the relationship. I just wanted to focus on the religion aspect

• If his religion won't let him marry outside that religion, them it is a compatibility issue.

To be honest her religion says she isn't supposed to marry outside of her religion either. So she told him he would have to convert it eould still just be a compatibility issue. Everyone has their deal breakers, and apparently this is one of his.

• See, I wouldn't bother asking my significant other to choose between either one. She believes in God, I believe in... I'm pagan...
    anyways, if he's throwing this curveball your way, I suggest you stick with your own religion. A lot of the evils based in your religion are rooted by extremists. Hell, if people followed the Christian bible word for word, I'm sure a lot of them would see asmodeus or even beelzebub after death. It's pretty twisted there too. No religion is perfect, but if he has this stubborn idea that his religion is superior over your own values, I'd say not worth it. How long have you been together?

• look he should never make you choose if he loves you because love is all that matters. and how dare he says that your religion is evil what religion is he? and what religion are you? because if he says he is a Christian you can say rhe same about his also. but if i were you i would choose my religion and family cause you will find somebody who will accept you as you are

• yes he's a Christian. and im a muslim... yes he's being so arrogant and selfish but all settled for now.. we talk and he seems like he's okay for now... he even say about marriage..

• thank you for the understanding... i. believe God put me here like. this for a reason... to test me.. i know within my heart that he's the right guy for. me..

• no problem. i hope that everything works out for you and your boyfriend

• It's easy as 1 2 3 you choose the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and savior, It's your salvation that's everything for you. You were put on this Earth by God. There is millions of guys out there your boyfriend can't save you. If you believe the Lord Jesus Christ died on the cross to save you from your sins and you accept him as your personal Lord and savior he will allow you to live forever in heaven once your time is up on earth

• thats the problem cause i dont beleive that. Jesus exist do exist. and yes we were all created by God and the mystery to everyone is whos the real God

• Thank you and it's s true.

• Yes for sure

• let me guess. he´s a muslim? xD if he can´t love you despite the different religion, then fuck him. he´s not worth your love.

why will you lose all your family, if you choose him though and why is religion so important to you?

• im a muslim n he's a Christian

• i mean islam is evil and violent xD but so is christianity. specially if you look at the old testament. both books have pretty evil passages but both religions are pretty good at denying that.

• i know rigjt? so he has no right to ne saying anytjing

• i dont know your faith
    but forcing someone to change his faith
    and looking down on their believes is the biggest sin of all time

• im a muslim and he's a christian... im a flexible. muslim and he's a devoted Christian

• indeed.. I wish he can open his eyes and mind and accept what other people said..

• he sees himself right all the way u can't fix that

• There are billions of guys but you only get one family, and if he loved you he wouldn't make you choose.

• Dump him. His request is completely unreasonable. Be more careful about your next boyfriend. Make sure you are compatible.

• He's an idiot.

god is present is many religions. It's not like one religion is right and the others are all dead wrong. It just so happens that one of the religions is the "most" correct.

• I agree with you... He should be respecting my religion...

• @00ellis alright dude. What's with the hostility. You are not scaring anyone hiding out in this gag account man. Go away and let the adults talk.

• Says the faggot

• I'm guessing he's not cool with the way Islam treats women. I couldn't date a Muslim who wouldn't walk away enough to enjoy our life together either.

• im a virgin before i met him.. what else does he want from me? im willing to sacrifice my family as in marry him although i will be disown... whay else does he want me to do?

• he's concern about what

• Your going to be disowned for your choice. if you were not protected by Western law how would your family be reacting? Could it go so far as honor killing yes it could so he is concerned.

• Your boyfriend is a controlling asshole. Leave him for Jesus. Also, your spelling and grammar is atrocious.

• Any one that gives an ultimatum is not worth giving up what they ask you to give up.

• So... you're about to jump from the top of a building; and your loved one gives you an ultimatum for you to give up your jump. Not worth?

• Ah! Now I understand where you're getting on! I think you did the right thing. This specific situation feels different to me.

• @JamesCX It was a very different type of case. For that one she actually gave me multiple ultimatums between spending time with her or my friends. I caved in several times, it was the 4th or 5th time that I refused and just decided to spend that weekend with friends.

There might be some legit cases where ultimatums could be a viable tactic to try to change a partner's behavior. More often than not, however, I think it's very misguided.

Even in noble cases like a girlfriend trying to give an ultimatum to make a boyfriend curb his drug habits, the boyfriend can get the perception: "If I give into the ultimatum, I'm submitting to her authority. Now she can threaten to leave me whenever she likes and control me that way."

There's somewhat of a rebellious thought typically that comes about in the process, even if the ultimatum was coming from an altruistic place. I think it's too often terribly misguided.

• Lose does not require change. He's being ignorant and selfish, is all.

• i. know right? he's so selfish using the excuse trying to save me from my evil religion.. i never ask him to change.. i already planning to have a mixed marriage

• Love is blind. If he wants you to change, he's not speaking out of love, but out of greed and selfishness. Loving another person is partly about trust -- something he's not showing right now. A partner's religion shouldn't even matter, as all it is, is a means of finding personal peace. Wanting someone else to change this, is a way of waging psychological warfare.

Anyway, if he's serious about it the choice, he's not capable of love in his current state. You could literally say the exact same thing to him "trying to save him from his evil religion". No religion is evil, they're at a base point about unity and peace, even though they have different traditions and such (forgetting extremists). Anyway, follow the path of your heart. :)

• wow.. thank you so much.. i so. much appreciate your reply.. its true all u said.. thanks once again

• I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that based on his reaction that you're a Muslim. Hate to break it to you, but Islam isn't compatible with any other values. That's why you always see Muslims rioting, demanding special treatment, etc. Only you can choose to leave that "religion". It shouldn't be because your boyfriend asked you to, it should be because you want to. If you wish to remain, cut him loose so he can move on and be happy.

• I don't think anyone suggested you should change your beliefs

• I think you should tell him how you feel, that you're fine with not following some of your religions rules/guidelines in everyday life BUT you don't want to lose your family either. So basically let's say you were muslim you wouldn't wear your hijab when you were out together but you would wear it to situations where your family is present.

• What are you religions?

Honestly I think all religions are evil (without intending to be). And this is one of the reasons why. Most likely both religions are completely wrong. But lets not get into that.

Unless you want to marry him, and he puts a ring on your finger, you shouldn't even consider changing religions. Especially if you find religion important to you. It isn't that easy to convert, and unless he is proving his commitment, it isn't worth considering.

• I might draw a conclusion if I know your and his religion,
    Many religious leaders use this technique to increase their followers,.
    Because it's not about about religion it's about their control they have over people in name of religion

• He is an idiot unless your religion is something like Scientology which I would stay very very far away from.

There are nasty religions out there. I can count only 4-5 religion that is actually worth having: Catholic (the one with only 1 Pope, not the ones with a bunch), Ancestors worship, Judaism (some but not all), Taoism (some parts) and probably some Folk religions.

• im a muslim and he's a christian...
      i never do anything to burden him because of my religion or such... so i dont see any problem with me but he was like i never want to teach our children islam. Im the head of the house and i will decide what religion bla bla... Nonsense

• Meh, probably some Angelica or Anabaptist or something amount the mess calling itself Christianity. Stay away from him. Find a guy with free religion and don't put religion on him. As long as you let him know the rules you have to follow then he would be okay.

The only Christian I think worth looking into would be Catholic. The one with 1 Pope. They were pretty nasty back in the 16th century but they are okay nowadays. Not zealots and ignorant.

Islam has a bad rap because of radicals and it stills have too many old practice that needs changing. I wouldn't recommend mixing it with those Angelica cause they can get pretty nasty.

• ermm i see.. ur opinion is different from others... ur reason is unique

• choose your religion , he's not worth it

• If he's not happy with who you are then he doesn't love you. At first it may be just religion but who's to say he will stop there?
    Two people of different religions can love each other as long as they accept each other for who they are and the choices that they make.

• More from Guys
    47

What Girls Said 59

• Can I ask what your religion is? But whatever it is, he has no right to give you such ultimatum. You have a right to believe whatever you want to, and no one can force you to do otherwhise. Someone like that it's not worth it. He sounds like a dictator to me. I'm sorry, this situation must hurt like hell, but you will be better off on your own. But same principle applies to your family. You shouldn't loose them because you leave your religion. If they drift appart because they don't think your boyfriend should give you this ultimatum, they are doing it because they care about you. But not because of the religion thing, that would be wrong as well. This is YOUR life and no one elses. Take control and make your OWN decisions. And the consequences of living your life as you want to are the only ones worth having.

• yea that's true.. thank you.. i ao much appreciate what u said.. i should wake. up and make my own decision.. i guess im scared because i saw many people at last comes to family for. helo

• *help

• im a muslim and he's a Christian

• If he really loved you he wouldn't make you choose. Faith is such a personal thing; giving up your religion isn't a simple thing. It's taking away a good many parts of your culture, your values and your comfort.

I understand there are some controversial aspects of it, but could you discuss with him which parts he finds evil so you can share your view and feelings. It's easy for outsiders to look in and make judgements but the reality can be quite different.
    If you are happy, safe and feel like you have a voice with your family and religion then he being very short sighted in his opinions and looking at a bigger picture then applying it only to you.
    I hope you're able to figure it out xo

• If someone gives you an ultimatum like that they don't really love you. Leave him.

• Thing is though, she's also saying that "I will lose my family if i choose him, even if he converts to Islam and I wanna marry him, I will still lose my family cause my family don't want a black guy... so either way I will lose my family". So she's already effectively got an ultimatum like that from her family as well, and that ultimatum makes it sound as though they don't love her either.

• The way I see it is even if he converts to islam then you are rejected by your family anyway. (Right?). If he moved to a Muslim country he would be pretty much forced to convert because he is (would be) married to a Muslim wife. (Right?) If you become a Christian as he is asking you to, then you lose your family for a husband. (Right?)

I guess the question is, how much do you love him? How much do you love your family? Who is it that you can live without? You have to realize that you are just as much a part of your current dilemma as he is. Both of you are from unyielding backgrounds in a religious sense. Pretty sure that both of you had to have been aware of this beforehand. Both of your religions clearly state in the bible and the quran that you aren't to marry non-believers, you knew that didn't you?

You say that you don't believe Jesus existed, is that correct? Yet there are more writings in all of antiquity specifically mentioning the person of Jesus. There are far more mentioning Jesus than there are your own prophet. The only reason I know these facts is that I struggled as an agnostic person, who was searching for what I believed. My just boyfriend at the time was a Christian, I didn't have the extremes that you do, but I wanted to be on the same wavelength religiously so to speak as he is. I couldn't get over the whole Jesus was he a real person or not. I didn't know where to begin, then talking to a pastor at another church he made a suggestion; why reinvent the wheel? What do you mean? He suggested that if he could show another atheist/agnostic persons journey to find the truth for their self, would that help you get started? He showed me a book by author Lee Stroble, who was a newspaper writer, following court cases as an investigative reporter. His approach would be a very analytical investigation Of the facts, he would interview only the foremost people in their fields, archeology, ancient history,,,, His investigation convinced him (and me too!) that the whole story of Jesus is real enough that him as a person existing would stand up in a court of law, there is that much evidence of the existence of a man called Jesus Christ. After he established that for himself he then worked through the claims made by Jesus. For himself (and me) he concludes that Jesus Christ was one of three things which he could only be one, a liar, a lunatic or who he said he was.
    "The Case for Christ" Lee Stroble (is there a Muslim apologist like That?)

• What I mean, is there a Muslim apologist who can help you through this without throwing one of you under the bus? If you are considering staying together, someone will likely have to compromise on their position, (right?). I wasn't trying to come off sounding all negative in the first paragraph, I was being blunt. With bluntness from both sides, not just yours or his, this is pretty much exactly why some parents involved in any kind of religious faith caution their children from early teenage dating years, not to get all caught with someone who is not of their brand of faith. truly I'm sad for you, sweetie you are just stuck in the middle!! I don't know, where or how to tell you to turn. My last paragraph is how I worked out my own questions of my potential mate's faith, I hope you can find something like that which will help you through the dilemma you're facing.

• i know jesus existed but not by the name jesus.. but by another name.. Jesus/ Isa is one of the prophet in Islam...
      but my point is i will find a way to make things work as if i choose my boyfriend i will lose my family and if i choose my family i will lose my boyfriend and im not ready and never ready to lose both... I understand what u said... and thank you for the explanation... maybe this is one of God's test for me... i have to keep calm and pray harder...
      what im not happy is that im not exxagerating following islam... im a flexible muslim.. but just my faith is with Allah not Jesus... but like tmost of the population in this world im not too abide by islam rule so what else he want me to do? i just follow islam the basic rule... sometimes i didn't wear my hijab also.. so i didn't see any problem in our relationship

• Choose your religion, he sounds like a twat.

• It seems as though your boyfriend isn't intelligent enough to know that religion isn't evil, people are, and can be from any religion. But beyond that, making ultimatums is never good for relationships. Your boyfriend needs some education.
    Out of curiosity, what is your religion?

• i agree with you..
      im a flexible muslim and he's a devoted christian

• Sounds like he's referring to "alternative facts. He needs an education on real facts.

• yes indeed.. so now im trying to fins 1 religious guy that can answer all his questions... I just want him to see clearer picture about Islam...

• Choose your religion. Forgive me if this is wrong, but I'm guessing you are Muslim? Islam is no more evil than any other religion. There are some bad men twisting it and using it in a very bad way, but people, sadly, will always do that with religion.

Your religion at its core it peaceful and beautiful, as well as a part of you since you were raised in it. If he can't accept your religion, he can't accept you.

This is coming from a girl raised to be Catholic: choose your religion. If your boyfriend can't see past the dark veil of misconceptions and listen to you about your own religion then it's best to end it.

Never change anything about yourself unless it makes you happy. Not your religion or hair or clothes or job or anything. Find a man who loves all of you and wouldn't change you for the world.

• thank you so. much for the exact reply.. i really appreciate it.. true what u said.. i guess he's just testing me if i can convert... because i know he can't lose me.. im too precious for him..

• No matter what you do, I hope you do what makes you happy. I read some of your other replies. You never tried to convert him. Despite what your religion may say on the matter, it sounds like you've stayed respectful to his religion. I think he needs to do the same to yours.

And it's okay if you don't want wanna, but can I message you questions about your religion? I'd like to hear the answers from a someone who practices Islam and not just people who /thinks/ they know the religion.

• Choose your religion. I don't care what you believe - only a terrible person would ask you to give up your religion for the.

• Realistically it comes down to a choice you have to make based on which factor you think is most important. I don't think your boyfriend is going about addressing issues he has with your faith in the best way, but he could just be ignorant. Religion to me used to be a huge factor in my life, especially in regards to dating and relationships, but as I grew older, this became less of an issue. Do what makes you most happy.

• im happy with him... but i can't lose my religion as well

• Okay, I would say bye to my boyfriend.

• Obviously that will always be a point of tension.
    If your religion means a lot to you, you and him are probably not a good match

• Why would you even consider losing your family over an ultimatum about religion?
    Choose your family.
    Boyfriends come and go.
    Out of curiosity how long have you dated before this question came up?
    Have you asked him to show you some of the videos he's watched?

• we r friends for a year before started dating for 2 years now...
      and yes he showed me all the videos he watched and he shares all with me

• yes. true.. true what u said... but he dont understand that.. he said hw read the quran translation and its all evil and violent and all the bad one inside...
      but as u said i will have to talk to him but we r in long distance relationship now so. its difficult

• Thing is, apparently, she'd lose her family regardless if she stays with him, even if he were to convert to Islam, because her family aren't prepared to accept her being with a Black guy. So there's a whole heap of absolutist judgmental discrimination on both sides. Should she choose her family, and accept their racially discriminatory demands to break up with her boyfriend because he's black? Or should she choose her boyfriend, accepting his religiously discriminatory demand to ditch her faith because she's Muslim, and be ostracized by her family for doing so?

• What a controlling jerk, move on and you'll soon find someone who is more compatible to your views, opinions and religious beliefs.
    Sending you Love, Hugs and Good Luck for your future happiness. x

• If I really love that person, I wouldn’t change my religion. For me, God is much more important. If a person really loves me, then he would respect my beliefs and I would respect his in return without any of us changing his/her religion. If two people are willing to bond, love should be the priority.

Getting married is about loving and being supportive to each other. Regarding changing religion there should be room to compromise if it’s pure love. Do you want to be with a man who's love is conditional?

• Oke I personally hate story where people get seperatet because of religion and I'm not a religious , so I would probably choose him. But you said he is christ and you're muslim.
    Well yeah... If he forces you to change your believes, than he is not worth it

• Giving up your religion is giving up a part of yourself: what you believe, value, and how to you see the world.

Is he really worth giving up that big a part of yourself?

• true what u said... i think i know what to do now

• what did u do when u going through things like this?

• Haha, going through is the key words*

I haven't finished yet... If you want to message me, that'd be awesome.

• Choose what you feel in your heart correct. If your religion makes sense to you and it's what you choose to believe then choose it. Boyfriends will come and go but your region is a part of you, it creates part of your judgement, it's a really important part of you. If your boyfriend makes you happy and you truly think that he's the one, your one true love then choose him. Choose which one you value the most.

• Um-run-don't walk away! This has major control issues written all over it. He should at least be tolerant and respectful of your religion in the same way it seems you're tolerant of his. Tell him that if he can't accept all of you-including your religious beliefs-to take his crusade mission elsewhere.

• Never choose anyone who gives u an ultimatum about ANYTHING
    They're crazy

• sounds like he's trying to control you, i'd leave him, if he loved you he would respect your religion.

• Personally I would choose my religion

• Get rid of that dude.

• If he loves you then he shouldn't be asking you to choose, he should love everything about you

• What is your religion? And what is his?

• I'd choose my boyfriend honestly

• why? why would u do that

• Give him up. There are plenty of fish in the sea, and one day you will find that man who loves you for you, no matter what your religion is. It is none of his buisness to judge what you believe in. Please. Dump him. You will be making the right choice.

• You should not change anything because of someone, that something being weight, religion, sexuality. That person has to accept you for who you are.

• I don't think it matters if you have two different religions, if he can't accept you for who you are then throw his ass to the kerb.

• my advice choose your religion thats the only thing that will not change if truly have faith in it.. a man who doesn't understand and accept you for who you are is not worth it

• what religion are you?

• More from Girls
    29