Why do people still talk to their ex's?

I recently broke up with a guy because he wouldn't stop talking to his ex and she constantly 'liked' everything he posts on social media.
I don't keep in contact with any of my ex's.

921

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless they got kids or property they co-own, I don't see why either.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not sure honestly.. I figure they're your ex for a reason. I don't stay friends with my exs. We broke up because we couldn't get along. Why drag the misery on trying to be friends?

What Guys Said 20

• It's only a problem if your S/O is a paranoid freak. My ex was a good mate before we got together, we had our troubles after we split up and became good friends again, if any woman has a problem with that than thats their business. She was there before any girlfriend and will be afterwards, either you accept it or you don't it's as simple as that.

• Fair enough. I don't date anyone who is friends with their ex, let alone still talk to them.

• I'm entitled to my preferences.

• You are but in this modern society it shouldn't be an issue.

• Well i'm friends with my ex's... i know, how can adults function after a relationship? Impossible right.

• I don't need to talk to my ex's to function in life. Seems like I'm the adult here.

• Well sometimes they're secretly still hung up on each other. But in my case when a relationship ends as partners. a relationship can begin again as friends or best friends because that's usually how it starts for me I mean we started the relationship because we had something in common. but that can only happen if both parties have moved on. So I don't see it as usual I think it easier to do if the guys the one that ended it as as opposed to the girl. I think girls handle break ups better than guys at least getting put back in the friend zone. but that's my opinion. I've make great best friends out of one night stands. Many time leading on to there friends. But never right after then. That's rude.

• There's nothing wrong staying friends with your ex, there's no reason to stop talking to them all together

• I don't stay in contact either. It didn't matter if we broke up on good or bad terms. If we are done I'm going to use my time elsewhere.

• i agree with u. they shouldn't unless there's kids involved

• I dont see the point at all once im done with you thats it unless they were nice

• Some like to keep a friendship, if nothing else because of all the time they spent and things they told each other

• I talk to my ex because we ended on good terms. Sort of. But if I got into a relationship, she'd be immediately dropped. I wouldn't do that to my new girlfriend. It's called respect.

• People talk to their exes cause they can't let go
    and they always think things are going to get better
    once i let my exes go that was it no more contact.

• I wouldn't worry about that at all. A lot of people now adays still stay in social media contact. Gotta be more confident... let it go. Cheating can happen in.5 seconds anywhere, anytime. It's too much work to be all worried all day. If you feel u need to worry, and you've already checked yourself. The relationship isn't worth it. If you have to check your significants phone, it's time to break up. Just break up, don't even look at it cause that's rude.

• I'm friends with most of my exes. Not that I'd talk to them INSTEAD of you but being jealous and insecure like that is a red flag for me.

• I disagree. It has nothing to do with jealousy and insecurity. There's no reason to keep in contact with your ex unless you still have feelings for them or keep them as a backup option.

• Neither. We were friends before dating. Lost the romance, hence why broken up. They're all mostly in relationships too.

• I don’t 😐

• Chance of friends with benefits.

• Are you afraid of losing him?

• They would only talk about them if feelings haven't officially left the door

• Some people keep in contact as friends but they obviously want each other more than that

• Just leave them honestly

• They have spend life to gether, you can't ask them to erase their past...

• May be... They still want them back... Or wanna check their progress!!

What Girls Said 8

• for friendship, to keep in back burner, booty calls, for entertainment, or to get back together later

• I still talk to two ex's. I hate one and can't wait until he leaves me alone (I'm too polite to say so) and the other one I absolutely love to pieces in a very non romantic way. He's literally one of my best friends in the world. And he feels the same.

• When you spend enough time with someone they become a part of your life.. you get to know their families and friends. It's hard not to keep in contact at least a little.

• If the ex is still calling its because their still getting an answer

• It's not uncommon for people to remain friends after their relationship is over.

• People still talk to their ex because they either enjoy their company or they are wanting attention. I have many friends who have exes and talk to them just to get that attention or feeling wanted by their ex.

• Im still in contact with some of my ex's because they are still considered my friend

• I don't talk to my first ex anymore