What should I know about dating a Muslim guy (as a western non-practicing Christian)?

I met this guy and he's heads over heels for me. We're moving a bit too fast for my liking when it comes to this whole feelings thing, but I'm giving it a try. He's Muslim but he drinks/isn't a virgin, though he seems very serious about everything else. I wish to know what you (even better if you are a Muslim or has dated one) thinks I should know now, before I get in a relationship with him and get shocked/surprised or end up disrespecting him for some reason.

57127

Most Helpful Guy

• Well it all depends on how open minded he is. Some easy ways to tell if he is open minded is asking your self, "Is her serious most of the time or does he joke around a lot?" If he's serious most of the time that often he takes life in general pretty seriously but that's a simple question you can ask yourself and it usually is in the ball park. They are also very, VERY controlling culture when it comes to their wives and by the sounds of it, sounds like you're living with him already I assume? Probably relatively quickly after beginning the relationship. Chances are within five to six months will be the earliest, he'll propose a year at the latest, they don't normally date for fun they date because they can see themselves being married to them. Depending on if he is a dominant guy and how dominant he is will also depend on if he "allows" you to leave and go do things when he's not home/working etc. But that's normal to their culture he more than likely allow it but the manners and politeness to them is often shown by asking permission since women don't have a whole lot of rights because keep in mind Muslim wives whether you convert to it before or after you get married is something you two will need to talk about together and if he's leaning more towards close minded he will definitely have you convert. He was more than likely raised in Lebanon and not here in America so Muslim wives typically need to ask for permission to leave the house out of respect here in America but out of law back in their homeland. Also if he chose to come to a specific state other than because of family could also help determine how open minded he is if he's into politics. More conservative voting states will incline him to act more conservative because like all humans we adapt to our environment within reason to our own beliefs and morals. I know here in America it's normally ok to court with more than one person at a time if you take it at a normal pace but they all typically move very fast over there, same as here though I suppose. The guys who end up saying I love you very quickly can see themselves marrying you and for someone like myself, only the right girl got me to do get my shit in order. Soul mate's encourage and motivate each other to do what is in their best interest even if it means parting ways with them forever. But Muslims are a lot like Catholics, there are always exceptions and some do get divorced but if he's already saying I love you and you do get married

Most Helpful Girl

• Well. I am Muslim myself, I dated Arab Muslim guys and western guys I have a question, WHERE IS HE FROM? that makes a huge difference, because it is not only the religion that is restricted, it is their way of thinking and calculating things culturally depending on where do they come from? if he is an Arab that would make a big difference than maybe anything else.

My Muslim Arab brother is married to a Russian girl, and I can tell you, he was honest with her, loved her, and married her, BUT, he just changed her, she can't smoke on the street, talk to other men, go out alone, no more clubs, she really loves him, and he does her, but you will need to adapt to his cultural boundaries IN HIS HEAD not even only being at his home country..

In the Arab world, the man has the authority and the power, and he will make that clear just when things start to get serious, they dont like being yelled at, or even argued a lot, because THEIR women from their own cultural do not do that because they are used to the male dominated kind of culture (Even me) ,, so from my experience, many non Arab women can not translate or get that.

Take what I said in consideration, I know better, I am Arab Muslim, and I am more reliable on that!

• Yes exactly what I was saying. If he was born here he's not going to have a problem where as he would have a problem with you going out alone or without him or a man to accompany you if he were born in Lebanon, but like I said they always get married very fast compared to the standards here. So you said things have been moving very fast all you need to do is confront him and tell him how you feel ahead of time before he gets embarrassed for proposing and you not feeling ready because it could also cause him to think you didn't want to hurt his feelings by just flat out saying no.

• True. Arab muslims are the strictist. What is universal among muslims though is that you MUST raise the kids muslims. Even if he is a very westernized muslim that grew up in the States, that is the one thing they will not compromise on. After all, islam must dominate. So if a girl has concerns on that front, better avoid.

And if the muslim says that she can raise the kids in her religion, don't believe it for a second.

• You're 100% right. This is the arab culture.