Do middle school/high school relationships count as actual relationships?

I had two “boyfriends” when I was 14. I say it in quotes because they were guys I didn’t really have feelings for and were both set up by my friend who felt bad for me because I was always single and she had a ton of boyfriends. The first guy was a shy guy and the “relationship” only lasted 3 days and then I had to “break up” with him because he told people we weren’t dating. To this day, he still avoids me like I’m a psychopath.

The second guy was my guy friends brother. He didn’t want to go anywhere with me and I found him quite boring. Him and I still get along.

So both of these “relationships” were very uneventful and I don’t like to count them as relationships but they did have the relationship label.

What do you think? Do they count as relationships?

1327

Most Helpful Girl

• Relationships can count in your youth as you learn about relationships and yourself.

However, what you described was not a relationship. If you feel nothing for the other person other than friendship, it’s not a relationship. If you feel nothing at all and it was a blind date, it was a blind date gone wrong. The problem with youth is there is never the status of dating, everyone jumps to being bf/gf (or any combo). I can even begin to count the “boyfriends” I had for one horrible date in highs school. They were failed dates. I don’t count them as anything more. But I do recognize my relationship in highschool and younger as (albeit awkward) relationships.

• You have a point but I also agree with another person that said if you're 16 and younger then it's not a relationship because you're testing out these new emotions with crushes and stuff. I know people who are older than me who have been dating since they were 16 or 17 and still happy in their relationship. Those are the type of relationships that could but I never had.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, but they are unlikely to last. They can be considered practice