10 Reasons and More to Not Become an Early Childhood Educator (Childcare, Daycare teacher, Etc.)

Anonymous

1. Professors lie and tell you its the greatest job ever.

You get your first job and you love it. Next few years past and you start to have second thoughts. The greatest job becomes the worse ever.

2. You may have to change over 20 diapers a day.

That's nasty.

3. Parents don't train their kids to go to the toilet.

Infant, toddler early preschool is an exception but when they are older and are still constantly having accidents it becomes annoying.

its more annoying when they don't have extra clothes to change into because they used up all their dry clothes.

4. The supervisor or manager can be rude.

I had a set of rude, unprofessional supervisors. How I survived dealing with rude women for over 8 years I have no idea.

5. Teachers being aggressive towards children.

Being an ECE has its heavens and it has its hells. some teachers bring their hells from home to work. If you are stuck in hell you may take that anger out on kids.

I've witnessed teachers physically being rough with a child and talking down to them.

Sure kids piss us off but, being aggressive can only make things worse and its unprofessional.

6. It becomes boring being with kids for the whole day.

You like kids, but to be with 10,15, 7 for the whole day all year doing the same thing over and over and over becomes boring and stale. you spend 70% of the day dealing with behaviours. when there are also written work that needs to be done.

7. Children are forced to play.

For school age children. I understand you have a long day at school. 4pm hits and you just want to relax. I mean That's what I got to do when I got home, I watched a cartoon then fell asleep.

In the childcare field they are very anal in having school age children sleep or rest after a long day at school.

I wish childcare was about that. But we are forced to make them play.

8. I would have hated being in daycare

At 7-8 years old I was able to stay home on my own and not cause any trouble. At 15 my family left the country for vacation I stayed home on my own caused no trouble.

Children today are just stupid.

If i had to stay in daycare doing all the boring things they do, I would not be happy. Daycare sucks for school aged children. Its not fun unless you have a gem of a daycare teacher which is rare then children are going to have a hard time.

A childcare teacher that has an interest in pokemon, comics etc is very rare.

9. Children don't listen and you can't do anything about it.

I've had many extreme children that don't listen and often got into fight and etc. If it was my choice I would have kicked them out.

10. Many parents don't care.

Relating to number 9. You tell a parent what their child did or didn't do. Many parents will just ignore you and reward their spoiled rotten child.

11. Many teachers don't care.

I felt Like I was the only one that cared. Daycare looked boring I tried to spice it up a bit yet my work which the children loved was under appreciated by staff. Many teachers sit around clock watching, doing nothing while I tried to make an impact.

12. You have to socialize with staff you don't care about.

I don't care. I'm all about work. Work related I'll talk you i'll say hi. Other than that I don't care. I don't want to do any of these staff trips, dinners. I don't care.

13. many children only spend an estimated 15 hours a week with their parents (Monday to Friday). That's 3 hours a day.

They are dropped off at 6am then got school picked up at 6pm then many have sports or girl guides after that, then dinner and sleep.

To me that's depressing.

14. Have to deal with runners.

Runners are children who will run out of the classroom, run through the school and sometimes outside due to various reasons.

Many runners will wreck classrooms and other children's belongings.

This relates back to 10 of parents not caring. Many kids think everything is about what they want when you have a room of 20 needy, over privileged children wanting the same thing or etc

My advice to potential ECE's or childcare teachers. FIND A REAL JOB.

To me ECE isn't about the pay, some places you can make bank. I did it for the children but after you made an impact and feeling unappreciated, I started to notice things that made me grind and want to switch careers.

Overall DON'T BECOME AN ECE because you'll love it at first then you'll hate it.

9
8
9Girl Opinion
8Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• chrisbigman
    Unfortunately, I don't find this surprising (except for MAYBE the lack of potty training - DAMN!!!). Enough people are like this, and think this is normal. People have lost their marbles when it comes to common sense and basic (or advanced, depending on how you look at it) living. People really need to look in the mirror and take a LONG self-assessment. When I started viewing documentaries regarding kids and their lives of most recent years, I began to shudder. I can't imagine what this world will be like in 10-15 years. For the sake of mankind, I hope people wake up and take responsibility for their actions and correct their wrongs, even if it takes YEARS to do.
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Allie_Oops
    These sound like reasons why you hate being a ECE teacher. I'm a middle school teacher and while there are things that get on my nerves (helicopter parents, children who don't do their work), I absolutely love my job. However, I do tell anyone who wants to become one that it is truly a calling. Like, literally, you cannot be an effective teacher if you hate what you do. If you can't handle lots of emotions, the workload, and low pay, then do not get into this career field at any grade level.

It makes me wonder how good you are at your job.
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

are you comparing a school teacher to a daycare teacher?

• Allie_Oops

I'm comparing your being a teacher to your ridiculous Take. Where in the happy hell did I compare your being a school teacher to a daycare teacher?

• Anonymous

calm down femmy.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

87
  • meowcow
    Maybe the parent and educator is just shitty.

My daughter loves daycare. She starts the day walking through the front door and giving a hug to all of her current and previous teachers. It is obvious that she has formed a strong emotional bond with all of them.

Most jobs are repetitive, so whether it is taking care of children or pushing paperwork in an office, you're still doing the same thing over and over again.
    Like 1 Person
  • NatashaJ
    You are a idiot childcare is growing and needs more people who the hell are you to tell people to stay away from it because you didn't like it it sounds like you just did it for the easy money and mad that it's actually going to be hard no shit your dealing with little humans.
    LikeDisagree 3 People
    • NatashaJ

Also it's a pretty good deal you do at lease 2 year programs at colleges and expect to make on average $50,000 in Canada you can easily pay off the debt and making more. Funny how people shit on ECE and never tell people to avoid Social Work because you going to be in so much debt and shitter situations. Try being a child welfare case workers go on indeed forums and you see so many people hate that job with a passion I take being a ECE over that any day. No parents will come in the centre to harm you and lucky for me my professor are warning us about bad places to work at and the ideal place to make the most money and to be happier is in the public school system.

• Anonymous

• NatashaJ

Telling you there are worst jobs out there then ECE is trolling?

• Lish89
    Clearly your in the wrong field. The only thing I didn't like about ECE was the fact that I had to deal with horrible power tripping women. I became a daycare owner and operator and absolutely loved it! It sounds to me that you thought it was going to be different then what you thought It would be. It's not for everyone. I ran a after school program and being a gamer myself I was able to connect well with the school age kids. It takes special people to do this job. You either have it or you don't. It can't be taught, it's natural and instinctive. It's an important job and you have the power to re-wire a child's brain until they are three. Did you know that? Good teachers are hard to find, so don't discourage people from this kind of education when we need them. We need leaders for our children. Considering your Anon, you didn't even have the guts to speak out against ECE with your face out there, you coward behind a computer. That tells a lot about someone and thankfully children aren't learning from you anymore.

I also managed to make changing 20 diapers a day fun.. thank you very much.
    Like 1 Person
  • JudgmentDay
    I think if somebody works in that and tried it and hated the whole experience maybe they'll reconsider about ever having children and kids of their own? Perhaps they'll become convinced and understand why not everybody wants kids of their own, though not all of them don't want kids for the same exact reason each and every single time.
    Like 1 Person
  • curiousscorpio89
    It takes the right kind of personality, a lot of oatience, and a huge heart to truly enjoy the work. But, they really are the most important job. And I want someone who truly loves children taking care of my children anyways.
    Like 2 People
  • esotericstory
    Daycare centers should be abolished, they are not the best way to raise children. Daycare was a mistake made by the modernists. I plan on homeschooling my children. Its the best form of education. During childhood the parents and extended family should be the only teachers of children.
    Like 1 Person
  • oldguyincanada
    I could give you a list about why being a software professional sucks too.

ECE wasn't right for you and software wasn't right for me. We both got out.
    Like 1 Person
  • Salmon4056
    Through I'd love teaching kids (that are trained and a bit more mature) I believe that I can agree with some of these. 😌
    Like 1 Person
  • MlleCake
    I could have written this. There are some excellent pre-schools out there, but all the corporate chain daycare facilities are a pit of despair. And the religious ones are weird a lot of times, and home daycares - eeek. Montessori can be excellent, but some don't stick to the curriculum. You have to be pretty rich to get your kids into an enriching, top-notch pre-school.

And these people that you trust your beautiful little child with, day-in-day-out are paid PEANUTS.

I will say though, I never tired of my kids, they were a constant source of joy except that one flaming brat - always named Trevor. There's a Trevor or two in every class.

And you are right - no one is potty training those kids because mom and dad don't attend to it, and you don't have enough time in a day to potty train 30 kids.
  • xxBrookexx
    I hate little kids anyways there sooooo annoying !!!😂
    LikeDisagree 4 People
  • dwiller943
    Exactly why I don't like being responsible for a child I didn't birth.
  • ThisAndThat
    I'm not into changing diapers either, but if you love children you'll do it. My suggestion to anyone, if you don't love children, don't take the job.
  • watergirl848
    Kkkk
    Disagree 1 Person
  • Secretgardenblood
    I hate kids
    Disagree 1 Person
  • Anonymous