Don't hate the player, hate the game!

My parents have had a hard life.

My mother grew up in Northern China, though some may argue she had a nice rural up bringing, the house which she lived in was a little concrete block. Not toilets. No hot water. No heating. No air conditioning. She four sisters. She was pulled out of school at age 9, and forced to work as a maid in a city on the other side of China to raise money for her family.

My father grew up in Northern England. His parents were both nurses, and going through a messy divorce through his teen years. He lived at the bottom of society, in a room like a prison cell.

My Father went to university when he graduated school, and my mother managed to get a modelling job, that led her to a hostess job in an expensive hotel.

On my dad's first business trip at the age of 23, he met mum, and they got married 4 years later, and had me.

Don't hate the player, hate the game!

Until I was 3, we were just an average family, we lived in a bungalow of 6 people. My mum, dad and I all lived in the same room my dad grew up in as a teenager, there was no space. My parents' combined income was around £30,000. Between six people mind you, plus a baby, that's not much.

My dad had his career break.

Life changed a lot.

I'm not going to give numbers, but he's done very well.

I'm so proud of him. He's been very successful. and he loves his job too. My mother stopped working years ago. She spends her time making connections and travelling with him.

We moved to Switzerland for better tax levels. I was sent to the best boarding school in existence.

While I'm away at school, my parents are in New York, Masai Mara, Tokyo, Capri... etc

My life, and my life prospects have changed crazily, because of my father's success.

It's almost unfair. I am at the best school. I have the best teachers, food, clothes, everything. I've travelled all over the world. I'll most likely go to an amazing university, get a high paid job, and then marry some centi-millionaire. I'm going to see everything I want to see, and have everything I want to have. My life, and the lives of all the girls at my school is almost too easy. We have direction. We're going to have the opportunity we could ever need.

My dad sometimes comes into my room, really mad. And he complains that I never ask for anything. He looks in my wardrobe and tells me that I don't have enough clothes for a teenage girl. Then we go shopping in Milan. He's like this for my mum too. Takes us out, and gives us anything we breathe on. He's such a giving person. It's incredible. Sometimes I don't realise how lucky I am.

At my school we have something called the bubble. It's the idea that outside our school gates, the world is a completely different place.

It's so different, it can be unnerving.

I'm economics student. So I have a certain grasp on realism, compared to my friends, I understand that most people, have not left the country, cannot speak another language, get Bs, shop at H&M, and will earn £30,000. Because unlike some of my friends, I am not old money rich. However I can see how easy it can be to get caught in the 'bubble'. When your school fees alone are the same cost as the yearly income of an average person... life can get rather surreal.

For example. My boyfriend, he's from an old money background. He goes to the best university in the world, and lives on the most expensive street in London. When he's not studying, he's jetting to the most famous hotels and cities in the world. When would he see real life? Never. A normal person would never even see him. The supermarket? You can forget it, he doesn't shop. Cinema? Nope, private screening. Train? More like helicopter. Airport? Nope private entrance. What about a clothes shop, like Chanel? They have private suites for important customers.

So, the high income and low income earners mixing? You can forget it. A poor girl marrying a rich man? Never going to happen. You'd never even see one long enough to get his attention.

That rich kids of Instagram thing, the posing, the beaches, the models. Never going to school and failing life, the useless spawn of a rich man... Yeah, those families aren't really rich.

The true wealthy don't have Instagram. In fact, you've probably never heard of them. They stay undercover. The rich are smart. And ruthless. All are straight A* students. It's not fake either. They'll take all the best jobs.

I want to deliver one cold hard truth. That 'money doesn't buy happiness' charade is propaganda developed by the wealth and fed hand to mouth to the poor so make them believe that they can be happy in a one bedroom mouldy apartment. Hollywood is also propaganda. It's a distraction! Do you think anyone rich watches TV??

Time and time again, I hear billionaires talk about how sad it is too see those without money, but with real potential diminish in the dust of society. But we would never do anything about it. It's the Tragedy of Commons. Why would should we make you richer? Why should I ever help you? The system that makes the poor rich will make the rich poorer. So nothing is ever going to change.

The only way to beat the system is to work your butt off. Like my father did. Life is cruel. But it can be done. I'm living proof. Life is unfair, do something about it.

So I private school kids say that school's not a big deal... it doesn't really matter... it's not the end of the world. Fine then. fine if you want to believe that. Life's not a big deal. You can be a hot dog vendor as long as you're happy. Go ahead. Eat the lies and propaganda and nothing will change.

So don't mind me being a bitch and going to party in Italy this weekend.

212

Most Helpful Guys

• I actually read all of this, and the summary is:
    - Rags to riches
    - Came from and born into into poverty, but grew up in privilege.
    - "The only way to beat the system is to work your butt off."

The is absolutely nothing wrong with being exceptionally wealthy. If you are, good for you.

However, it is important to note that "working your butt off" is merely a prerequisite for success, which is never guaranteed for anyone. What's more important than hard work is knowledge, of which you may have relatively little, just based on your age. Additionally, there are more things tha out of your control that helped you be where you are today. I find it sad that many don't reach their potential because of circumstances beyond their control. If you dont understand that, then you're not the kind of person I would want to associate with.

• 7d

Yes, that's true, not everyone can succeed. It is sad that some with lots of potential never succeed. The point is that there are many who do not even bother. Many who are entirely not motivated. I wish for them to stop hating everyone.

• 7d

Ah! I agree.

Some people can't help where and to whome they are born, so their lack of success is understandable, and the ethical choice is to help them to get on their feet. They have potential that through no fault of their own may be exceptionally difficult to realize.

However, some people have a lot of potential, and never even try, yet have the audacity to complain about others who are successful.

• 7d

'some people have a lot of potential, and never even try, yet have the audacity to complain about others who are successful.' Exactly what I am thinking.

• 7d

Your dad "won" because he was smart, and he was willing to sacrifice severely in the beginning, and postpone "fun" for hard work in getting a good education and getting a high-paying job (choosing a career that offered big rewards but also came with high requirements). It's absolutely true that most people COULD do the same thing - but few are willing to go without in the beginning if they don't absolutely have to.

If you (anyone reading this) want to understand money the way wealthy people understand it, spend $10-15 and buy yourself a copy of the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad. It is the simplest and best book I have ever read about how money works and how wealthy people become wealthy.

• 7d

Thats a good book

• 7d

Yes exactly, and I know that few could do the same thing, that's precisely my point. There are so many who complain that the wealthy have no right to be. Wherein actual fact, they have worked very hard for what they have.

Most Helpful Girl

• What are you trying to do here? Like I don’t understand this mytake.

• 7d

Yeah, it ended up a bit of a rant. If there's something to learn, it's that life is fair, don't be angry.

• 7d

If your family was still living in a shack then you wouldn’t be saying life is fair. Your family is just fortunate. Be thankful instead of rubbingbit In cause who knows what your father really had to do in order to get where he is.

• 7d

Could you clarify your position?

"If there's something to learn, it's that life is fair..."

"... Like my father did. Life is cruel. But it can be done. I'm living proof. Life is unfair"

"... because of my father's success. It's almost unfair."

Join the discussion

110
  • 7d

I agree with what ur saying even so why would any one care about anyone most people only care for themselves and who can blame. them the world isn't a forgiving place everyday someone dies and every mistake u make could be ur last who knows what happens working ur butt off does work or u could try to win the lottery but thats a 1 in a million chance u could try drugs but that's a one way ticket to the grave sadly then there getting a good education it's good and if u know more its quick at giving u money but the catch is someone will always be there to take from u so u have to be very aware and if there are more ways I think of them later end the end it's a give and take most people want to take more then they give and because. of that they end up poor people who put in 5050 usually get a good amount but sadly giving out stuff doesn't always benefit u so depends on who u are and what cards u are given if ur smart u use ur brain and try to stay out of jail if ur lucky and. smart u try drugs but like. i said earlier it's a straight shot. to the grave most of the time and then there hacking and ofc the famous of all and most likely the oldest of all bank rodding bit that's also a very risky business more so now but its possible if u know the right people and know what ur doing but most people today are to lazy to. work and. are to greedy to. give so yea poor people u need to get a life rich good for nothing jackass some. of u earnt ur living and I respect u but the ones who are born it are more or less retarded

• 7d

Ofc there are the lucky people who win the lottery but sometimes dont know what to do with there money so they end up going broke or someone robbed them

• 7d

Well investing in real estate and start up firms.

• 7d

For me business and maybe housing and real estate

• 4d

Your fate has been sealed. There's only one thing will you take the RFID Microchip on your forehead or arm? I'm assuming you will and you're whole family too since you are proud of your accomplishments.

• 7d

I agree with you, life is unfair.

Remember, life can change in an instant.
    ——-
    https://youtu.be/wLvd_ZbX1w0

• Incredible mytake. For someone younger than 18 I have much respect for you. There are so many people who forget their heritage and what made them who they are today. They are influenced rather easily by whats around them and allow it to change them. You on the other hand remember what made you who you are, and it seems to me that will make you 2x more successful than your friends who live in the bubble.

I did see at the end though you started to pull from a more cynical world view, which I think is a pragmatic.

Something I think you understand (I can't quite tell though) is that society runs off of the lower class. People undervalue the importance of those low level jobs, but I think you recognize their importance.

• I disagree though that school is incredibly important. As in its a must. Elon Musk says depending on the person he would hire a dropout over a graduate. Not saying it isn't important, just that you dont need a good private school education to achieve success (which of course success is subjective).

I think I ran out of things to say.

• 7d

Oh I thought it was gone yet it was right under this one 😂. I'm getting the two mixed up

• 7d

For starters I disagree that the poor need the rich, and I would argue that the intellectual is better at persuasion. When your saying the super rich are experts in persuasion. Those are the intellectual ones. I agree that perspective makes all thr difference. Regarding you comment on goal to have the most resources possible not changr the world. That goes back to success. Succes is subjective. A person who influences the world can be equally or more successful than someone who obtains massive resources.

• i will stop hating the player and start hating the game, thank you

• I don't know you so why would I mind you being a bitch!🤷🏼‍♂️

• 7d

Your point is...

• 7d

I suppose if there's on thing I want, it's to be free sometime. Life like mine does come with a lot of responsibilities early on. I'm only 17, but a lot rests on me. No ones fault though, and I wouldn't want to change it.

• 7d

All the best! I hope you find your freedom!!

• 7d

"O Tempora! O Mores!"

• 2d

Thanks for this very personal take.

• 7d

Good take.

• 4d

Don't care you chose to play, you are hated

• 5d

Sorry, I didn't readed.