What I Find Annoying in Video Games -Part 1

1. Follow the (very slow NPC)

Seriously pick a follow this NPC segment in ANY shooter game and while chances are you get a whole bunch of completely uninteresting dialogue, you will also be like, when can I start shooting bad guys again, or good guys, I'd shoot the guy who I'm supposed to follow if it'd make him move any goddamn faster.

2. Making the flashlight light up nothing or hold 5 seconds of charge.

I don't know about you but in my experience flashlights work a fuckload better than that and they run for fucking hours before they even start to dim. So unless a dev has never actually seen or used a flashlight there is no excuse. Its not scary, all it does is make you squint and be annoyed. If you want to be scary, build up the atmosphere instead of giving us a broken flashlight like a good horror game.

3. Where the hell is my splitscreen multiplayer?

You see back when I started gaming there was this glorious multiplayer mode WHERE YOU COULD PLAY WITH SOMEONE IN THE SAME ROOM AS YOU ON THE SAME CONSOLE. Then it stopped, these days its basically gone. You see game devs, this actually contributed to me becoming a PC Gamer, because once I couldn't play video games with and in the same room as my friends basically made me say, hey, PC games are cheaper due to steam, they run better, there are more options, mods, and now since I can't play splitscreen, what am I doing on a console. These days I rarely play my console and I'm primarily a PC gamer. I've played 3 games on my Xbox one in the last 12 months.

4. The two weapon system in First person shooters

Dear Game Developers, this only works in Halo for one reason, because you switch andd pick up new weapons so often that you really don't need more than two because in five minutes you'll have a different weapon. When my options are, Generic but necessary M4 carbine, awesome shotgun, awesome revolver, and cool SMG, DON'T MAKE ME FUCKING CHOOSE ONLY ONE COOL GUN. Remember DOOM, or Wolfenstein, or how about the Far Cry games, In doom and wolfenstein you can carry all the guns, in Far Cry 3 I was running around an awesome cool island holding four weapons. LET US HOLD MORE GUNS AND FOR GODS SAKES, IF YOU GIVE US A PISTOL, GIVE US BACK THE DEDICATED SIDEARM SLOT.

What do you find most annoying, please tell me because I'm sure that I'm going to write a part 2 eventually

#RANTDONE

520
Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• Slow NPC's are a pain in Skyrim.

Most Helpful Guy

• What *I* find annoying in video games
    - DLCs
    - Micro Transactions
    - Pay2win
    - Pay2play (WoW)
    - awful unplayable balance (battlefield 3 and jets)
    - too small maps (call of duty)
    - ingame advertisements
    - Free2Play, which ultimately leads to cheaters never being disposed
    - Lack of modability
    - Horrendously (un) optimized games

• microtransactions are going to be on p2

• definitely agree with the following:

- Lack of modability
      - DLCs
      - Micro Transactions

technically DLCs ARE Micro Transactions. Since very rarely you're gonna receive DLC for free, but I rather buy a all in one package with the main game and it's DLCs for a discounted low sale price whenever possible.

I also miss the days of Expansion Packs, since DLCs more or less replaced that and I also hate it whenever a PC game does not get modability, especially if the publishers and developers had fucked up and made a mess of a game either at launch or even from subsequent update patches, as they might as well give the community back control to try and fix up their mess.

This is one of those examples, but typically you'd need a very flexible SDK or the source code to fix and re-adjust shit like this when the companies themselves simply don't give a fuck about doing so:

• @JudgmentDay exactly. This is why my favorite developers are those, who give their community their source development tools. I always loved it.
      The communities tend to mod games to such an extend, that nobody would have imagined. Just look at the game black mesa on steam. It's a complete overhaul of the old half life using the source engine.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 4

• Yasss, haha, the walkers are the worse. I want to pick on the the Witcher 3 for a second, the game is overall amazing. But the quests bar could be really confusing (randomly failing or accidentally picking up quests then failing them when you had to follow the main arch) and cave mazes that the map didn't make easy to follow (in the dark) at all -_-

• Loved the game, but they could have at least told you what side missions you were gonna fail if you kept going, they simply said that some side missions won't be available after that, but they don't tell you which ones, so you end up having to do them all just in case lol

• @AleDeEurope exactly, it was really frustrating after a while

• Interesting. I dont play video games though.

• you should, trust me, when you are fed up with the world, playing a game like DOOM is absolutely refreshing

• lol some of those are annoying. Mine is mostly MMO/Moba troubles though. The people who run in 1v5 and die and then blame their team. The ones who think builds don't matter and then proceed to do no damage at all during the game.

• Interesting.

What Guys Said 19

• 1) I don't usually have to follow NPCs, so that's not much problem for me. But lengthy dialog is. Some people like story which is OK. But I should not be forced to read a bunch of dialog because one little tidbit of important information might be hidden in it. Lengthy dialog should be 100% optional.

Almost worse is audio dialog that you have to listen to. Like Skyrim. Secondary dialog and quests are locked behind other dialog that must be listened to in full. If you escape out of it, it doesn't open the secondary choices, you have to start over.

2) In general I find a LOT of games are way too dark. Sometimes when you turn the brightness up enough to see anything, it gets all washed out and looks terrible. I've never figured out why they make them so dark.

Another one that's not nearly as common as it used to be is pixel hunts. You have to find just the exact pixel to find something. I don't mind Easter eggs that are like that, but regular game stuff shouldn't do that.

Inventories that are too small. Trips back to town to sell stuff is fine. But when it takes 5 trips after each fight, that's too much. I read about a game recently that had pets or familiars that you could load up and send back to town to sell. That's a cool idea. That might have been Torchlight, but I'm not sure.

Hybrid games. It seems like almost all games are hybrid any more. I know it's all big business now with huge development costs. So they want to appeal to as many people as possible. But it means no more genre specific games any more. It can end up ruining an otherwise good game because one part of it is something you totally suck at or just don't like.

An example is Action RPG. To me action and rpg are almost exact opposite types of games. While a lot of people like ARPGs, RPG purists are stuck with the action part of it.

• 'An example is Action RPG. To me action and rpg are almost exact opposite types of games. While a lot of people like ARPGs, RPG purists are stuck with the action part of it.'
      See, except a Game like Fallout New Vegas exists, it shows that an Action RPG can do both well

• no it was not, sorry

• At least you didn't accidentally copy/paste the last pervy porn site you were at. :P
      That'd be embarrassing.

• @Waffles731 Speaking of "The two weapon system in First person shooters" they really should just implement classes even for Single Player campaigns. Have heavy classes be able to hold at least 4 times as much gear equipment and weapons.

I think they were aiming for "realism", after all more and more first person shooters have that "aim down the sight" feature these days. So they figured, for simulating or mimicking real soldiers they shouldn't be able to carry a small percent of an armory with them.

Maybe if they add something specific to the plot that this wasn't some ordinary human soldier thus he or she has all the muscles to carry all that firepower without ever slowing down, etc.

Or add something like another science fiction technology concept as an element to the game known as "Dimensional compression" which allows storage of many physical items and matter, thus a soldier or any character can take the whole damn supply and and carry the entire armory on them at all times, essentially a fully portable armory because of "Dimensional compression".

But if they were always trying to aim for realism then I guess that's why they limit players to having to major weapons, and two side arms, and typically one explosive crowd control weapon (grenades or mines) at the most.

• unless you are playing a game with Rainbow Six or Arma level of realism, there is no excuse for the two weapon system and Arma lets you carry more at the cost of movement which you have to weigh very hard against one another

• @Waffles731 I haven't played those before but I will look into them and experience them for myself. I would agree, especially if they go for half-realism and then forget the other half. If they are going to implement realism with the whole limited amount of weapons the character can hold at a time, which cannot be changed over the course of the game no matter what, such as through upgrades and unlocking features, then they really should not make you go through the entire game's campaign, or most of the entire campaign, fighting alone all by yourself as that's a load of Bullshit "realism", because that's not what I'd call realism, that's the "One Man Army" concept which can never be considered to be "realistic" or have any real "realism". Soldiers almost always are supposed to fight in units, in squads, platoons, companies, or even battalions and brigades, otherwise there's really no chance to actually win a battle or war "realistically".

• @Waffles731 But the plot or background theme of the game can be the biggest factor, what kind of a shooter is it, is the plot all science fiction like Doom? Or even Duke Nukem? Then One-Man Army is fine, it's already been established that the laws of physics and rules in those games don't follow the real world and realism is ENTIRELY ignored and dsiregarded. One Space Marine fighting an endless or near-endless quantities of demons and hellspawns, that's already been established.

But for any kind of shooter that really really want to aim for realism, please, making the player's character a One-Man Army and limited to very few weapons they could carry and then somehow presented as that they actually manage and have what it took to survive and plow through large quantities of enemies or even bosses, really? I don't think so. That's not what realism and being realistic is about, at least not to me.

• 1) Worst part of following a slow NPC is when you bump them they stop for like 10 seconds before moving again. AC, RDR, GTA... do that a lot, and it gets me on my nerves.

3) I don't really miss the splitscreen anymore, I like it when it's there, but now I tend to play games more for the story, so I like playing them on my own.

4) I somewhat agree with this. Games like Far Cry do need to have more than 2 weapons available. I loved getting on the mountains with the sniper rifle, then sneaking in with the bow, and if I got caught I'll start shooting them with the assault rifle.
    But when it comes to more realistic games, like war games like Battlefield, more than 2 weapons wouldn't be very realistic.

Things that annoy me are:
    1) Popping, especially when it pops in front of you.
    2) When the characters speak slooooowly (yeah, looking at you, Skyrim). I put on subtitles and skip after I read them, it goes faster.
    3) Mundane missions. Pick up boxes or stuff like that.
    4) When the AI is stupid.
    5) Character movements that make it difficult to go through a door.
    6) Lack of realism, like sliding down from a huge rocky mountain (yeah, looking at you again, Skyrim).
    7) Shitty animations (*cough cough* Skyrim *cough cough* )

• 'But when it comes to more realistic games, like war games like Battlefield, more than 2 weapons wouldn't be very realistic. '
      I'm sorry, Realism?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71xpRwxu71w

Let me put it this way, unless you are at the level or Realism as a game like Red Orchestra, Insurgency, Rainbow Six, or Arma (two of these games even let you carry more than two weapons but you have to weigh it against a movement speed penalty) you've got no reason to talk about carrying more than two weapons especially since things like holsters and slings make it VERY easy

• The only thing I really hate about modern gaming is online functionality. I believe online multiplayer ruined the industry especially the FPS. Now instead of having a great campaign and great story they focus on adding more servers and DLC for multiplayer. It's bullcrap.

• '. Now instead of having a great campaign and great story they focus on adding more servers and DLC for multiplayer. It's bullcrap.'
      This, just this.
      That's why the new DOOM and the new Wolfensteins were so good, in DOOM they had multiplayer but it also had a fucking amazing 10 hour plus campaign, whereas there wasn't even a Multiplayer mode in the New Order or the Old Blood

• I agree with all of this except the last. If your gonna play a game with any sort of realistic tendency then two weapons is good if they add a sidearn. But god yes to everything else

• unless you are playing Rainbow Six or Arma level of realism, there is no excuse for the two weapon system and Arma lets you carry more at the cost of movement which you have to weigh very hard against one another

• I guess so. I mean most fps lack the damage and the weight factors for realism but I feel like it's for it to be more fun. It's kinda shocking to think that people are so unsocial now, that even video games aren't split screen so they must be played alon

• Lol isn't it amazing what holsters and gun straps can do in real life and it still hasn't been put into games very much yet. You could effectively carry dual smgs or pistols with thigh holsters an additional sidearm on the chest an assault rifle on your back via shoulder sling and carry a shotgun without a much of a penalty to movement.

• Four weapon choices and being able to use the dpad to switch between them is all I ask as long as I can at least dual wield with one of them because that is my specialty because I never get stuck reloading at the worst time

• I find annoying that the game does take your hands for EVERY step of the experience. Jeez, I'm not a child. Back in the days, we were about to throw our controllers in the tv at Donkey Kong Country and now everyone needs to be threated like a child. Let me be a badass without any help, jeezus !

• If talking about console games, then a lot. The new consoles, since play station 1 and up, do not do it for me. Too many buttons. Secondly, first person screen games, which a lot of games are, also don't do it for me either. 2D screen games were more my thing, nintendo, gameboy, sega, super nintendo and so on. Mostly 2D games in those consoles

• not enough reasons:
    suddenly ISP bullying, disconnected.
    you wanted to go right, but you went left then died.
    time stopped, not for me but for the game. then restart it again
    the bomb was suppose to do AOE dmg, but it only single dmg, where did the lag came from?

can't think of anymore

• Here are a few more :
    - Item degredation, i finally have this amazing item now its broken again why should i even bother obtaining something hard to get?
    - Peer 2 Peer networking, i mean seriously now? I absolutely love peer to peer for some applications, chatting / video calling and file sharing for example. But for gaming its simply not suitable. People often have a shit network and introduce latency for all or are able to manipulate and hack the game since everyone listens to them.
    - Payed multiplayer, this is my main reason to never get a console. Why pay for something YOU host? First you pay to get online and then you end up on a peer to peer server anyway? What is this bullshit, i am looking at you for honor!
    - Making things impossible to mod in favour of selling DLC or (failing to) stop priacy.

• You forgot: save point before very long unskippable cut scene before a tough boss. Imagine, you are going to fight one of the toughest Dark soul boss. But you have a 3min cut scene before him and you keep having to watch the thing over every time you die.

Unskippable intro movies.

Unskippable cutscenes.

Stuck in 60 FOV and you can't change it.

You have to follow the NPC who is moving at a speed between your running and walking. So if you walk then you can't catch up but you will run pass him if you start running.

• Few things are annoying in video games than internet lag

• I actually don't run into these problems to often with my games.

• 1. This sucks if you have to defend them so they can open one door or some bullshit. I remember in Opposing Force, you'd have to get an engineer to cut doors open for you. One of them was badly hurt and you had to get a medkit to heal him. In spite of being only armed with a pistol, he'd insist on kicking the door down himself and be immediately shot to pieces by the gun turret on the other side.

4. Blame Halo. Thing is, it makes it more strategic if you have to only pick two weapons, real soldiers have that if they're lucky (not counting their sidearm) whereas the Doom marine ran at 90mph while carrying ten guns AND hundreds of rounds for ammunition for each of them. So maybe you should start playing different games instead.

• Unskippable cutscenes. I'll just turn the game off, don't have any patience for that.

• Anytime you are required to do an escort mission in a game I scream a little inside

• What I find annoying in every multiplayer game? People.

• well,
      multiplayer ones actually interesting, and challenging as well, but i guess not everyone would like it. but mostly that you can find freaks, weirdos, and other kind of funny types in multiplayer games, which makes sort of interesting, (lol just sit with popcorn + coke, and watch their drama as they makes a drama in the chat- within the game)

• I really dislike escort missions.

• When people don't get on the fucking payload.