Do Black People Always Die First in Horror Movies?

Everybody knows that if there is a black character in a horror movie, he or she is going to die first. Some consider this to be a blatant reflection on society and how it treats black people. Life is hard enough in the real world, but in the fictional one too? Really?

Some think that it's infuriating because of the fact that it doesn't really line up with reality. In the real world, when the horror of real life slavery was going on, black people quite literally built an Underground Railroad to escape real world horror. What about that says, "Oh, hey, let's run down the stairs where the insane guy with a chainsaw is?" I remember years ago on this prank movie, the pranksters thought it would be funny to drop in through the roof above the secretaries desk of this business which had two white women and one black guy, to pretend like they were robbing them. When they did drop in, the black guy literally took off and ran down the street. He didn't even flinch or think, maybe I should at least investigate. Nope. Gone. Even while his co-workers were still screaming.

Even at work, I witnessed it first hand. One of my co-workers wanted to scare our boss because even though he was a big white dude, he was super jumpy and scared of a lot of things. So at the end of close one day, my co-worker started running down our main hall. He didn't say anything, didn't explain, just started running. He whipped around the corner where my boss was standing and I swear to God, my two other co-workers, both black, who had been cleaning up an area in the hall and who had clearly missed the memo that we were pranking the boss, took off running with the original co-worker. The boss was just looking like wtf is going on. The whole thing was hilarious. We didn't get fired by the way, but again, danger afoot, black people, and honestly, I think a good majority of people in general, aren't sticking around to find out what it is, especially not in this day and age.

But back to the original question. Do black people always die first in horror movies? Is it true? Are they the first ones to get the literal axe? Well, the answer will definitely surprise you.

Black people are NOT the first people to die in the majority of horror movies.

Matt Barone decided to watch some 50 horror movies that included a main black character or characters in them. He noted if they died first, and second if they died at all in the films. Keep in mind, these are horror movies, so yes, most did eventually die in the films, but great news, at least they didn't go first, and who wants to go first, am I right? He found that out of the 50 movies, black characters only died first in 5 out of the 50.

You can check out the article and the whole list of movies here:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/10/black-characters-horror-movies/verdict

So this clearly means that racism doesn't exist, right? No, seriously, it doesn't mean anything like that at all. Don't be an idiot. It literally just means, they don't die first in a majority of horror films, so there's that.

1016

Most Helpful Guy

• it depends in the subgenre, a slasher film is more likely to off them first than a say a film like the Thing where its childs and mac who are alive at the end if Childs isn't a thing (He totally is by the way)

Most Helpful Girl

• I always have noticed that they die first in other genres since I barely watch horror films. I don't think that many have noticed though and they barely even put black characters in the movies but at the same time hey look at BET's channel, they may have whites, the whites might not die or at least die first but they barely still do have white people in their movies too... racism still exists even though I wish it didn't

• Thanks

• by the way your sarcasm is pretty good I think it could really fool someone hah

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 15

• I haven't watched many horror movies, but of the ones I have watched, I have not noticed that the black guy always dies first. Are you sure this is a thing?

• Clearly no one actually read this.

• Has anyone ever heard of Night Of The Living Dead? The main character (and hero) is a black guy, who outlives everybody in that group. He DOES get killed at the very end.

• He doesn't really outlive EVERYONE most of the group all die at the same time at the very end.

• Oh no you're right. I was thinking of the 1980s Return of the Living Dead.

• @Octavius - In the original, he made it to the end, and got killed. There was a remake they did 15 years later, and I think that woman survived, but he turned zombie at the end, and they still shot him.

• Actually, in "Night Of The Living Dead" (1968) the black character Ben (actor Duane Jones) was the LAST one to die in the movie.

He managed to survive the night of the zombie apocalypse, however, the rescue posse that arrives the next morning spot him through the window and mistake him for one of the ghouls, shooting him through the forehead. Ben's body is thrown into a pile of bodies, laid next to the original zombie from the cemetery and the bodies are all lit on fire.

And yes, there was an analogy to the urban riots of 1967 and 1968 in that ending, where the decent and good inhabitants of the rioting cities were sometimes unjustly punished along with the wicked and evil.

• They almost always either die first or die at some point in the movie save for a few movies.

Like I think it was in one of the scream movies the black guy left town lmao.

• Not that I remember...
    Alien - The white guy died first (Gilbert Kane)
    Predator - The white guy died first (Hawkins)
    The Thing - The white guy died first (Palmer)
    There are lots of other famous and quite scary movies where black people don't die first: Halloween, Friday The 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, The Exorcist, Jaws, Anaconda, Night Of The Living Dead, Day Of The Living Dead, Return Of The Living Dead, Dracula (older and newer movies), Child's Play, Gremlins, Critters, Frankenstein (older and newer movies), Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend, The Faculty and many others.

• While they don't always die first in the film , 99.9% of the time they are killed in the movie. Black people surviving the whole movie especially any horror film is extremely rare.

• Black people don't die first, they die first within the 90 minutes.
    It's makes sense to kill of the black guy first, because if they don't he'll be gone before the slash gets to victim #2.

• Watch the movie "Get Out". It turns that belief on its head. Today's movies don't follow those plot lines anymore

• In most yeah. Originally Hollywood only included black folks to mot appear rascist even though we know they are and still are

• Actually it's the opposite of this. You might want to read this.

• @frozenhorizon I meant in most horror films, the black character does not die first. They die, but not first.

• Oh yeah then you're right.

• Of all the horror movies I've seen where there's one black character, they usually die first. And it's only one black character too.

• That's cool.

• You have a good point there I think so

• Not in all horror movies they don't, maybe in a lot they do, at least it had been in the past horror movies. If they are the main character (s) they should make it out alive at the end of the movie. Sometimes they'll be a very important supporting character and will die around the end of the movie. I guess it depends on the script writers and directors and shit.

• I have a question. In real life when have you ever heard of a Black person escaping from a serial killer?
    I have heard of some White girls escaping them but never a Black person. Seriously if you know of any in real life post a link.

• Um, how about you look this up since you want to know and you clearly know how to use the internet and then you post a link.

• Ok I've seen a lot of horror movies.
    Black people rarly die first.
    I think the hang up is on the word FIRST. It's being taken too literally.
    What I have noticed is that in horror films black people dont necessarily die first. It's that they always die before the main white characters. In most horror you have a few main characters that survive to the end. This gives you people to relate to. Since the majority of horror film audience are white, these characters tend to be white. The black characters always die before these people. So you get a sense that black ca. are killed First even though a few unimportant white characters have already been killed.

George Romero made a beautiful commentary on this in his film night of the living dead. His black ca. outlives all the white main ca. s right to the end and just when your thinking 'wow he's the first black guy to survive a horror film'; he is killed mistakenly by a group of ignorant white rednecks.

• That's the thing... it is a horror genre, so if you go in expecting that any character regardless of race, should live, you need to pick a new genre of movies, but the guy in the article in my take proves that the myth is far from true. Sure they're going to die, but it's not even first always by a long shot.

• Yes. Not technically first. But noted that they always die before the important white mains giving the impression they die first.
      I wonder if in Nigerian horror films ( I have no idea if they make horror films, but I do understand that they have a film industry) if white people die first-ish.
      "Hey white guy- you go check the room with the stabbing sounds first!"

What Girls Said 9

• I haven't seen a black guy die first in a long time (in more recent movies anyway, not really old stuff). They now die third or second last in a heroic sacrifice. 😂 That's the pattern you gotta look for now

• Not even close...
    Even in all the classical horror movies it's always the white girl that dies first...
    Usually a slutty or a smartass one... or a really clueless, stupid one.

• Am I crazy or is anyone else seeing more and more movies are showing less black people and more Asians and whites?

• I think they did until someone started actually pointing it out.

• I don't watch horror movies like that but whenever I did they always died first, and I be feeling some type of way about that

• Well yes. Especially when the cast is all black...

• HA
    NOT Mr. T.

• They just don't want us to have a leading role! I've noticed this early killing of the cast for years

• Are blondes always the dumb ones in horror movies?