Do Black People Always Die First in Horror Movies?

Anonymous

Everybody knows that if there is a black character in a horror movie, he or she is going to die first. Some consider this to be a blatant reflection on society and how it treats black people. Life is hard enough in the real world, but in the fictional one too? Really?

Some think that it's infuriating because of the fact that it doesn't really line up with reality. In the real world, when the horror of real life slavery was going on, black people quite literally built an Underground Railroad to escape real world horror. What about that says, "Oh, hey, let's run down the stairs where the insane guy with a chainsaw is?" I remember years ago on this prank movie, the pranksters thought it would be funny to drop in through the roof above the secretaries desk of this business which had two white women and one black guy, to pretend like they were robbing them. When they did drop in, the black guy literally took off and ran down the street. He didn't even flinch or think, maybe I should at least investigate. Nope. Gone. Even while his co-workers were still screaming.

Even at work, I witnessed it first hand. One of my co-workers wanted to scare our boss because even though he was a big white dude, he was super jumpy and scared of a lot of things. So at the end of close one day, my co-worker started running down our main hall. He didn't say anything, didn't explain, just started running. He whipped around the corner where my boss was standing and I swear to God, my two other co-workers, both black, who had been cleaning up an area in the hall and who had clearly missed the memo that we were pranking the boss, took off running with the original co-worker. The boss was just looking like wtf is going on. The whole thing was hilarious. We didn't get fired by the way, but again, danger afoot, black people, and honestly, I think a good majority of people in general, aren't sticking around to find out what it is, especially not in this day and age.

But back to the original question. Do black people always die first in horror movies? Is it true? Are they the first ones to get the literal axe? Well, the answer will definitely surprise you.

Black people are NOT the first people to die in the majority of horror movies.

Matt Barone decided to watch some 50 horror movies that included a main black character or characters in them. He noted if they died first, and second if they died at all in the films. Keep in mind, these are horror movies, so yes, most did eventually die in the films, but great news, at least they didn't go first, and who wants to go first, am I right? He found that out of the 50 movies, black characters only died first in 5 out of the 50.

You can check out the article and the whole list of movies here:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/10/black-characters-horror-movies/verdict

So this clearly means that racism doesn't exist, right? No, seriously, it doesn't mean anything like that at all. Don't be an idiot. It literally just means, they don't die first in a majority of horror films, so there's that.

16
10
10Girl Opinion
16Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous

I always have noticed that they die first in other genres since I barely watch horror films. I don't think that many have noticed though and they barely even put black characters in the movies but at the same time hey look at BET's channel, they may have whites, the whites might not die or at least die first but they barely still do have white people in their movies too... racism still exists even though I wish it didn't

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Thanks

• Anonymous

by the way your sarcasm is pretty good I think it could really fool someone hah

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731

it depends in the subgenre, a slasher film is more likely to off them first than a say a film like the Thing where its childs and mac who are alive at the end if Childs isn't a thing (He totally is by the way)

Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

915
  • Anonymous

Not in all horror movies they don't, maybe in a lot they do, at least it had been in the past horror movies. If they are the main character (s) they should make it out alive at the end of the movie. Sometimes they'll be a very important supporting character and will die around the end of the movie. I guess it depends on the script writers and directors and shit.

Reply
  • Anonymous

Are blondes always the dumb ones in horror movies?

Like 3 People
    Reply
  • Anonymous

I have a question. In real life when have you ever heard of a Black person escaping from a serial killer?
    I have heard of some White girls escaping them but never a Black person. Seriously if you know of any in real life post a link.

Reply
    • Anonymous

Um, how about you look this up since you want to know and you clearly know how to use the internet and then you post a link.

• Anonymous

Ok I've seen a lot of horror movies.
    Black people rarly die first.
    I think the hang up is on the word FIRST. It's being taken too literally.
    What I have noticed is that in horror films black people dont necessarily die first. It's that they always die before the main white characters. In most horror you have a few main characters that survive to the end. This gives you people to relate to. Since the majority of horror film audience are white, these characters tend to be white. The black characters always die before these people. So you get a sense that black ca. are killed First even though a few unimportant white characters have already been killed.

George Romero made a beautiful commentary on this in his film night of the living dead. His black ca. outlives all the white main ca. s right to the end and just when your thinking 'wow he's the first black guy to survive a horror film'; he is killed mistakenly by a group of ignorant white rednecks.

Reply
    • Anonymous

That's the thing... it is a horror genre, so if you go in expecting that any character regardless of race, should live, you need to pick a new genre of movies, but the guy in the article in my take proves that the myth is far from true. Sure they're going to die, but it's not even first always by a long shot.

• Anonymous

Yes. Not technically first. But noted that they always die before the important white mains giving the impression they die first.
      I wonder if in Nigerian horror films ( I have no idea if they make horror films, but I do understand that they have a film industry) if white people die first-ish.
      "Hey white guy- you go check the room with the stabbing sounds first!"