Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade

Lemonade is an album centered around marital struggles and unfaithfulness of her husband Jay-Z.

Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade

It has been praised by all critics, all magazines as brave accounts of her married life and the mutiny she's exhibiting:

The queen, in middle-fingers-up mode, makes her most powerful, ambitious statement yet.

The Rolling Stones

Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade

Beyoncé: Lemonade review – furious glory of a woman scorned

The Guardian

She talks about how he has a mistress, the so-called Becky with the good hair... About how no one loves him like she does and that he treated her so badly, the woman that loves him...

Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade

And yet...she's still with him.

Why is this?

Is it because of the child - and now children - they have?

No...not because of them.

Where can we see that?

In these lines:

Suicide before you see this tear fall down my eyes
Me and my baby, we gon' be alright
We gon' live a good life
Big homie better grow up

Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade

All over these songs, she rolls through heartbreak and betrayal and infidelity and the hangover that follows "Drunk In Love."

The Rolling Stones

"How did it come down to this? Scrolling through your call list
I don't wanna lose my pride, but I'mma fuck me up a bitch
Know that I kept it sexy, you know I kept it fun
There's something that I'm missing, maybe my head for one"

A woman blaming another woman for her husband's infidelities? Really? Hasn't the world evolved enough for the people to realize that the problems INSIDE of a relationship dictate the problems outside? Is the third party to blame or is it the husband, the man who took vows for the woman to be blamed?

I'm very sure that logic would say the person to blame is the one who lied and the one who lied, cheated and disrespected here is her husband and no one else.

Where did she announce she'd be leaving him:

Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade

Now...for all the people who praise her bravery, I can agree it's brave to write this, but it would be a whole lot braver if she actually did any of these things she claimed she would do in her actual life. You know that saying: It's just words? In other words - the more you talk about it the slimmer the chances of you actually doing it are...

What she wishes she could do, but never will:

Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade

So, we can all conclude, that this album was a publicity stunt for people to listen to her songs more, for the buzz to build around her and Jay-Z some more, because, if you remember, he also had an album out a bit later than hers where he also had some things to say about this...

Beyonce is a woman who made this album as a wish fulfillment. She wrote all the things she'll never do, so that at least she has them somewhere, on paper, as her truth.Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade
She is an icon of a strong woman, and yet she sends a message to all women to stay with the husband who cheats on them and disrespects them. A hypocritical view of the world and a hypocritical label put on a sentimental, romantic, neglected woman who wants her husband to love her and stay with her forever and is willing to put up with anything just as long as there's a chance he might turn around her realize she's standing right behind him this entire time. That she exists.
Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade

Brave - I agree it's brave. It's extremely brave and vulnerable to put out a fantasy life you wish you could have, describe the things you wish you could do, but being trapped in an unhappy marriage forever... It's brave to bare your soul to millions of people and let them all know you'll never leave the man who doesn't love you.

Admit you're still with him because you make a powerful couple that makes sense - even if it is just on paper.Beyonce: The Hypocrisy of Lemonade

1723
LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• The pair of them wept their way to the bank with this one.

Most Helpful Girl

• Beyonce doesn't write her songs. Even her hit song "Who run the world (girls)" was written by men. So to me this was all marketing to sell records because people love controversy.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 22

• I thought he didn't even cheat and it was all a publicity stunt :P. He's in the MV too isn't he? Would he really show up in a music video about him cheating on her, if he did it? I don't think so. But I don't know I didn't look into it tbh ^^ I'm not into celebrity gossip and stuff.

• Lol he did cheat, he literally made a response album admitting he cheated. In fact, his album was even BETTER because he talks about how he had a family without being a family man. He grew into being a father and talks about some real shit. Fatherhood from the perspective of a married rapper is actually not something that's explored very often. Y'all go do your research lol

• @JustAnotherGirlie like I said I don't follow this stuff. I might check out the album though. I used to listen to Jay-Z a long time ago and I still do a bit I saw him live too but he's no on of my favorite rappers. So I don't follow him that closely ^^

• To be fair, she probably didn't actually write any of it anyway - she has a long, long history of stealing songs, choreography, etc from other artists, and not giving credit.

As expected:
    www.nme.com/.../the-surprising-credits-from-beyonces-lemonade-8915
    (but at least this time she's giving credit)

• I never could understand what the big deal about these two are.. Beyonce's songs are cookie cutter and bland at best.. Nothing that remotely sticks out and makes you go "whoa!!!" Jay - Z... I think my neighbor could write some half baked lyrics and paste them up with random beats and it would sound the same... I can't see any sense of artistry in his "music". I usually shut their music off around the 10 second mark.

• I've never particularly liked Beyonce's music, and I always thought that the reason was that I'm a guy, but it's clear to me now that the reason I don't like her music is that it pushes faux-feminism. As with everything progressive, Beyonce's feminism is just a marketing strategy.

• cause love doesn't just go away when someone cheats
    and for the celebs... cheating is very very common
    so in their lives and perspective... it's not as bad as normal lives

overall they are good... no drugs, no jail... nothing retarded.. just a little cheating in an industry that already is open sexually big time...
    same goes for actors and actresses

• I dunno. Jay-Z was publicly humiliated and shamed. Maybe that was enough punishment. Plenty of women stay with their husbands after cheating. And with cheating by wives on the rise, men will probably start doing more of the same.

• Interesting take, I admit I don't know much about Beyonce at all apart from the fact she is a famous music artist. Hope to read more of your future takes

• Who cares? Jay-Z is bullshit anyway. Of all the East Coast rappers of the 1990s he was the least respected and never rose to prominence until the rest of the competition had either died out or faded away into obscurity. Big Pun broke a champagne bottle on his head and insulted him multiple times.

• Her music sucks, so why should her message be anything more?

• Neither have I ever grasped the mentality of blaming the person your partner is cheating with, instead of your partner, in whom ALL of the faults lie.

• So she does talk the talk but can't walk the walk huh?

• 1. They are actors. All celebs are, if you think about it. They put on a show for the audience, on and off stage. The only people who know them really is their loved ones and that's a maybe.
    2. It's a song/album, what makes you think any of it was real? Gossip columns? Tabloids? If you get your info from that, then you are worse than people who believe the local news
    3. It's THEIR RELATIONSHIP!! The only people who need to care is those two. I, for one, couldn't give a deep fried shit about it.
    Because, as Jay-Z once put it, "What you eat don't make me shit!" (I'm kind of proud of that one)

• She really is an overrated, racist piece of trash, to be honest.

• How is she overrated? Kim K is way more popular, that's what you call overrated. But racist?

• I agree mostly with your premise - About 15/20% charitable side of me is like often creative people use their work as therapy often publicly that leaves 80/85% of me thinking it is a commercial decision somewhere along the lines if Taylor Swift ever settled down into a long term relationship her career would be over - The interesting thing is years ago this was usually a tactic of someone past it in a desperate bid to retain former glory or the desperate actions of starter wanting to break into the big time now its being done by people at the very pinnacle of their careers. What is Beyoncé going to do if she feels her career is slipping away.

• I never liked pop music, and I just think that this album is a waste of matter. Good for you for exposing it as the sham it is.

• Beyoncé has such a shitty life. My heart bleeds for her.

• Is it a reflection of her reality, or is it artistic creativity?

• Ok... I read it.

• I prefer rock

• Yeah

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 16

• This was a shallow interpretation of Lemonade - it's what happens when you take the content literally and not evaluate the artists' intentions and feminist background. But that's another subject.
    Lemonade was important BECAUSE she's a married woman. She actually did leave Jay Z and he chased her all throughout Europe - she wasn't kidding at all. Marriage is more than just a ring, its a merging of lives, dreams and hopes. Every woman has faced extreme disappointment and disillusionment in her marriage - it will happen. But how do you deal with it? What makes you stay? Her album is so poignant and real, because marriage is actually trash. Women give their ALL in a marriage and are left with scars on their stomach and a seared conscious. I related to this wholeheartedly because my parents went through some shit in their marriage and couldn't make it - that's how hard it is. Beyonce stayed because she was strong enough for her family to stick around - that's not weakness or for publicity. Any of her fans can tell you that. Hell Jay Z told you himself in his response album.

• I think Lemonade, as well as her behavior during and after the alleged affair demonstrates her faith and her commitment to her vows. It is her personal story and all the feelings she went through and not a suggestion as to how to handle this situation in real life. She is a real human being with feelings. It was also a way to relate to the BLM movement and the struggles POC face in general. For it's genre I think it's something of a masterpiece.

• I'm actually getting irritated reading this article because people shit on Beyonce for no reason. This album was her most personal because she revealed so much about her private life - all the infidelity rumors were true. I think what people are missing is that Beyonce is a regular black woman who went through the same shit a lot of married women do. And she had to figure out how her mother dealt with it, how her grandmother lived through it. It's interesting how she went to her family history to decide whether she should stay or leave. It's relatable because some of our parents had hard marriages but made it through - doesn't make Jay Z a villain - it makes him human. Doesn't make Beyonce weak or a "bad feminist" it makes her human.

• I agree. Let me preface by saying I don't like Beyonce. I don't have a high opinion of her intellect. You've put forth a good argument. I, for one, would not remain with someone who cheated ONCE, let alone multiple times. The trust is gone. The faith in the relationship lasting is gone. The love is gone. Tc @LittleSally

• Just because you forgive someone for cheating does not mean it is no longer okay to be mad about it. They were apart for a while. Now they are not. That’s life. It’s not a choice i would make but apparently she does.

• I use to dig beyonce when she was still doing destiny child. I don't listen to her music as much anymore just a few songs

• You really needed to do more research. The song Sand Castles is about them going to counseling and rebuilding trust. That's why she didn't leave him. And how do you know she didn't do all those things she talked about in her songs? She probably did cuss him out, throw her wedding ring at him and give him the finger. Beyoncé is nobody's fool. And they could split up and she would still be just as relevant and just as popular. She's powerful enough on her own. So there really wasn't an ounce of hypocrisy anywhere in that album.

• She actually did quietly separate from him for a while, though. She left and really made him work to rebuild the marriage.

• she doesn't actually write a lot of the songs herself though

• Apparently none of it is really about him. He supposedly never actually cheated on her.

• That heifer knew good and damn well he was married. Hell she should've backed up and said I don't wanna disrespect your relationship.

• I think it's easy for outsiders to judge. But it's always harder when you're in the situation. It's not always black and white

• I was thinking the same thing when I found out about Jay-Z cheating, but most cases like this the reason the women stay is, one it's easier. And two, they love their husband. I've never been cheated on but we can all say that there has been that one person that we put up with their shit just because we loved them. I feel there comes a point in all of this that you grow tired of it and realize that you can do better and you'll be alright without them, but that's not all people.

I mean, look at the Clintons. How many times has Bill Clinton cheated on Hillary? Probably far more than we know. I'm sure there are people in our personal lives that we know who are in the same situation. Either way, it's not my life and I don't care.

• Based on those lyrics you can 3 things about her: She's an idiot, feminist and antiwhite.

• If Beyonce didn't exist I'd never be bullied by my friends.

• I never really liked her to be honest with you, her music is okay but that's where I draw the line

• Totally agree. Good take