The Problems with Hollywood

These are all personal opinions based on observations, you may or may not agree with.

You may have noticed how many people have been bashing Hollywood. You may think that they do it because “it’s the cool thing to do” but in reality, it’s because of legit complaints that many people have which is mostly in regards to the biases that Hollywood has. This is why many people are praise straight to DVD films and independent films more than Hollywood films.The problems with Hollywood

1.) Hollywood’s political bias: Hollywood is one of the biggest movie industries in the world. The name “Hollywood” use to be a coveted by many people around the world. However, as a result of Hollywood deciding to start catering only to the liberal/“progressive” audiences, they lost a lot of respect and now the name Hollywood is slowly gaining infamy. When I say liberal, I’m not referring to the moderate liberal because I don’t generalize and I realize not every liberal is the same, I’m referring to the extremists and radicals. I’m also not saying that Hollywood should be more conservative, I’m saying it should be apolitical.The Problems with Hollywood

2.) Hollywood’s Height standards: Hollywood gives in to societal norms by treating taller actors and actresses better than shorter actors and actresses. Most of the dominant roles go to tall actors(5’10” and above) and tall actresses(5’7” and above). It’s very rare for shorter actors and actresses to get dominant lead roles. Because according to society “only tall people have good prowess” even though there are endless real life cases of short people proving their prowess in various ways(sports, military, politics etc) Oddly enough, Hollywood hasn’t made a movie about real life below average height American heroes like Audie Murphy(the most decorated US soldier) or the 442nd RCT(the most decorated US military unit of it’s size and length of service).

The Problems with Hollywood

3.)Hollywood’s bias against Asians: Not many people talk about this one but if you look closer at Hollywood, you’ll see what I’m talking about. It’s very rare(almost never) that a Asian actor or actress gets a dominant lead role in Hollywood. Most of the roles that Asian actors or actresses get in Hollywood are what are known as “canon fodder” roles, in which their characters are just there as either extras and or are to be killed off early on in the film due to foolish mistakes. There have only been two movies(that I know of) with a dominant Asian lead and they are “Ninja assasin” and “The foreigner”. While Star Wars Rogue one and Star Wars the last Jedi did a good job with casting Asian actors in decent sidekick roles.The Problems with Hollywood

4.) Hollywood’s recycled content: Perhaps the number one reason why Hollywood gets a lot of hate is because Hollywood seemingly tends to recycle ideas. I’m not saying recycling is bad per se but once it’s overdone, the ratings suffer because people start to say “we’ve already watched this”. Do I think Hollywood has truly run out of ideas? No but I do think that Hollywood is brushing aside many new ideas to stay within it’s comfort zone.
The Problems with Hollywood

5.)bad marketing: Some of hollywood’s movies like Ghostbusters and Wonder Woman were marketed in a way that scared away many people. For example, Wonder Woman was marketed by hosting a “woman’s only” screening which got criticized for neglecting the male audience.https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailywire.com/news/16961/feminists-get-trolled-women-only-wonder-woman-robert-kraychik%3famp

Keep in mind that I don’t think everything that Hollywood makes is bad, it has made some decent content recently but I think Hollywood needs to fix these issues in order to raise the ratings of their content. Also, it’s not just Hollywood that does this but Canadian cinema as well.

317
ADFSDF1996 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guys

• Are you me? Because those are my EXACT thoughts.
    About the height thing, I will add "heightwashing". Wolverine was supposed to be 5'3, Prince of Persia was also supposed to be short, not to even mention Asian.
    Another point about the Asian thing with The Foreigner. I loved that movie and Jackie Chan's acting but as I watched it, being a Pakistani, I thought how different would the audience reaction be if he was Pakistani/Arab/Iranian.

• You have some good points there , I agree with you.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 2

• Well it is the same as a black female superhero, no one would go watch that. Or a black male lead in a Disney movie, Walt Disney would turn in his grave and people wouldn't watch that. Hollywood is all about money so they only fulfill what will bring in the most bucks.

• well i dont care about hollywood they are bias when it comes to Asians who are nominated in academy awards sowhatsever i think its time the hollywood to listen to womens alleged sexual allegations done by directors, producers and actors also

What Guys Said 15

• Asians are 5.6% of the USA population. It rather makes sense that Asians will be in very few leading roles. Do you think Japanese and Chinese media worry about "not casting enough Caucasians in leading roles"?

media.giphy.com/media/ff0dv4KMGxjna/giphy.gif

• The point is that Hollywood keeps claiming to be pro diversity yet they put too much emphasis on one group of people while neglecting the rest.

• And what about the people who want to watch movies with casts that look like them? What if people just dont show for racial casting and you get Wrinkle in Time bombs?

• What do you mean “wrinkle in timebombs”? All I’m saying is that Hollywood wants to constantly claim to be pro diversity, well they should prove it. They talk the talk but don’t walk the walk.

• Mark Hamill (who's 5' 9", by the way) said that the filmmakers don't really care if it's a good movie, as long as it makes money. George Lucas said that the filmmakers make decisions on films based on a corporate approach, like market research, demographic research, or whatever, and are risk-averse to trying anything creative. Once something is successful, then you sequel it until the profit runs out. You can see this in play all the time. Jodie Foster (one of the more creative types) had to pull a lot of strings to get Silence Of The Lambs off the ground, because the suits didn't think it would work. Once it became a hit, these very same suits were ready to produce one shitty sequel after another.

The SJW's hijacked the Star Wars franchise, and the end result is The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, which are pathetic retreads of the Mark Hamill Star Wars era. I don't even WANT to see the final Star Wars movie of this current trilogy, and I don't care HOW MUCH they'll say that 'This one will be better! It has all the answers!" I heard the same thing about The Last Jedi.

I find it interesting that Hollywood more or less ignored (or maybe they were just plain racist) blacks' accomplishments in films, but when blacks called out Hollywood on it, Hollywood went the other extreme, and started praising blacks all over the place. It shows that the Hollywood people are not only ignorant, and possibly racist, but they're cowards as well.

• Your right about Hollywood's political bias. Honestly it's hypocritical for them to be soap boxing about sexual harrassment and rape when very few if any has actually spoke out against child rapist Roman Polanski.
    There's defenitley a height requirement for men but not so much for women. So many actresses in Hollywood are between the 5.0-5.3 ft mark. Such as Natalie Portman, scarlet Johansen, Mila kulnis, Anna Kendrick, Mary Kate Olsen, Reese Witherspoon, Rachel Bilson, Salma Hayek, Kristen Bell, Eva Longoria, Isla Fisher, Vanessa Hudgens, Hayden Panettiere, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Lucy hale, Ellen Page. So there are plenty of actresses. What I've noticed about actresses in Hollywood is that they are more or less not casted for anymore good roles once they are over 30 unless they've had a major role in a critically acclaimed movie lile Amy Adams in American hustle or Margot Robbie in the wolf of wall street. Men don't seem to make it as actors until they or over 30 unless they are comedians.
    I don't care about actors vs actress pay as long as the crew which can often include thousands working on a movie are paid and treated well.
    They do seem to avoid casting Asians espicially Asian men probably because Asians account for less than 7% of the demographics in America. Asians do get serious stereotype bad roles in Hollywood as do middle eastern men but often rather than casting middle eastern people Hollywood will use brown skinned Mexicans and Latinos. You can expect to see more Asians in American films not for any SJW reasons but because China is such a huge market. I think the last Jedi bombed in china because the charcter rose according to some chineese people I talked too is unattractive and fat and they felt insulted by her.
    Your right about the recycled content. Basically any movie or tv show made before 2000 is likely to be made into a movie.
    Ghostbusters in my view wasn't a failure in marketing it was just a really bad movie that should never have been made. Wonderwoman was solid. Mad max furiousa road was a disgrace. Hollywood directors just take a big name film from the past and virtually relegated the main charcter to a supporting charcter.
    You failed to mention that the real problem with Hollywood is that it's run by rapists and peadophilles.

• I have to disagree with #2. Tom Cruise is 5'7. I met Robert DeNiro in person, and he is pretty short as well. I also met Arnold Schwarzenegger and, despite looking about 6'4 in his movies, he was just over 6 feet.

• Hollywood has been a shady, drug infused piece of shit for many years now.. It's just that in the past year that scandal after scandal has surfaced, only because their box office numbers are failing. Independent media is taking over, film and shitty reboots are on the way out.

• I agree that Hollywood certainly has really gone to crap lately.

I agree that #1 is my big issue, my other big issue is #4. As far as I can tell, the cliche of "young liberal/old conservative" itself is really taken to it's level of focus when it comes to Hollywood.

And censorship of TV and movies is another weird issue.

• good take and I agree with most however regarding point

2) most male movie stars are actually know for being short. Tom cruise, Robert Downey jr are the biggest stars in the world and they aren't tall.

3) Hollywood is quite racially prejudice in general not just towards East Asians. unless you're a white man you're shit out of luck. I'm half indian and were often the butt of jokes.

• Yeah but didn't short guys like them and Judd Nelson, Charlie sheen, Emilio Estevez, Patrick swazte, Matthew Broderick, Kevin bacon and Sean Penn spend most of their 20s playing teens and college kids before mostly fading away?

• @PervinMervin29 suck me off

• Present it...

• Yeah Hollywood's days are numbered, you will find a lot of the wealth in the future will be incorporated into online sources. I don't go too the movies because it's not worth it, plus TV is often more interesting.

• I always find the 1st point extremely laughable. It’s always the dumbest argument ever

The others, don’t really care for that much, although given the average American human and woman is 5’7 and 5’11 woman and man, respectively, I laugh at the idea that people around average height is somehow catering to tall people.

The recycled material has pretty much always been the case and there’s film theory on that, but there’s an actual interesting discussion on the history of film.

As per the last 1, the problem is that there’s good marketing... for a bunch of shitty movies. Also an interesting conversation to be had

• The average height for a woman is 5’6” while the average height for a man is 5’9”. It’s unlikely that Hollywood would cast a 5’9” guy as Superman or a 5’2” woman as Wonder Woman.

• Depends where, here in California a lot of people are between 5’6” and 5’8”. Although 5’10” people are starting to be more common.

• The politics in Hollywood are a HUGE issue, it's downright preachy how "female empowerment" is being shoved down our throats (aka re-makes of classic movies with all-female casts).

• Hollywood is about as liberal as the rest of the educated world, the problem is that American conservatives and "libertarians" are idiots.

• My 'complaint' is that most everything coming out of there is from a single sided US-American point of view. This is ok in itself, but the rest of the world is over-flooded with it, and so my basic idea of movies being CREATIVE art or audiovisual novel-telling is not met.
    Where Hollywood really hurts is, when uneducated managers and directors fuck it up. Example: Pirates of the Caribbean; first sequence in Singapore. High mountains in the background. Bravo.
    Such stuff dumbyfies the world. It explains how Trump could become president.

• Hollywood just makes junk. Why you give money to them is beyond me.

• I liked Wonder Woman, it's the best DC film sense the Dark Knight Rises.

• I totally agree