20 of My Favorite Movies With a Female Lead

THIS IS NOT MY TOP 20. These are just the ones that come to my head, there are so many and I could probably list another 20, but my goal here is to bring focus on some of classics and some of the movies that stood out to me.

So, let's get started, I've got 20 pictures let's use em and only 15 videos...well got to make them special then......Maximum effort!

Antisocial

This was a fishing for a good indie movie and I found one. This really surprised me! It is one that catches you off guard and is clever and fun throughout. To sum up the movie, what happens if you spend too much time on facebook? You turn into zombies!

The Final Girls

This was another surprise. It did not have a great following but after watching the trailer. I really wanted to see it and I thought it was going to disappoint me but it was so good. They did such a good job capturing and romanticizing the slasher film genre and it had a story with heart to boot. It was really fun to watch and also very funny.

Happy Death Day

I watched the trailer for this and I went oh, a brat is going to get killed. At least I get to see justice served. As I was getting ready for this killer to carve this turkey, then I found out that it was actually ground hogs day! It was a girl that found out what a terrible person she was and through finding out how to survive/stop reliving the same day became a better person and fell in love. I was dumbfounded. Such a great movie!

Tomb Raider

I watched the trailer for this and was like, wow! they are just pulling this straight out of the video game, lame. My friend kind of forced me to watch it with him. I was surprised at Alicia Vikander's portrayal of the character. I fell in love with her. She was real, she was strong and she was witty. I connected with her because she was a normal person, facing problems and chose to do the right thing. She was not a hollywood show, she reminded me of the girl next door and that I felt was the most clever part of how she apporched her role.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

The first one was good but the second one was so much better. It reminded me the video game much more and it turned Milla Jovovich as alice into into a female Indiana Jones that kicked zombie as*! The other girls such as Sienna Guillory as Jill Valentine in the movie were also pretty bad as* too.

Labyrinth

This movie is a classic. and it is fun to see Jennifer Connelly in one of her younger roles. It is also a blast to see this with the mastery of Jim Hensons puppets. It is fun a journey of growing up and understanding what it means to take the role of a big sister.

The Breakfast Club

I know this is not a female role movie per say but it has strong female characters. You really connect with them and they have unique views that are challenged and sometimes surprise the other boys.

A Walk to Remember

This one is a tear jerker but I love it so much. It is such an inspiring movie and has a great heart behind it. It really makes me fall in love with Mandy Moore. and the awesome part is her music is barely featured and the one song she has is memorable. She is such a great actress and clearly proves it in this movie that she can both sing and act.

The Watcher in the Woods

Include a caption for your image

This is a great disney classic and I need to watch it again to get the full scope of it but i remember just enjoying the girls character. The movie also is pretty dark for a disney film but really fun to watch.

Alien

This is the one of the most, if not the most kick a** female role ever. Jamie Lee Curtis is up there in Halloween (which would be good on for another 20 list) but Sigourney Weaver is bad a** and does not take any crap from that alien bi*ch!

Jennifer's Body

This is one of Megan Fox's first showcased movies and she may not play a fantatic role but she is smoking hot and knows how to show/use it.

Sixteen Candles

This is another John Hughes classic. This one does a main female role. You really connect with Samantha's character. She is the next girl door but she is the girl that nobody notices. and it is fun to see what real girls go through, not the ones that are the center of attention. The sweet part to this is that it does have a fairy tale ending.

Legally Blonde

Ah Reese Witherspoon! The fun thing about this movie, is Reese knows she can be sexy but she also shows that she can be smart. And while she plays a ditzy blonde character she still proves that she is a smart actress in the role. Her character is unique, has real emotion and drive.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

I'm highlighting this movie because of Lisa Wilcox as Alice Johnson, although there are other stronger girls that get killed Alice absorbs of all their special qualities and becomes the perfect warrior to fight Freddy, I believe a figure is made in her honor with the final Freddy as* kicking costume.

The Princess Diaries

Anne Hathaway in one of her first roles. It is fun to dream you are something bigger than you are. and this movie helps foster that. What if you were broke and then found out you were rich? It really just helps one to dream and hope for better things in life. But the story itself is cute and fun. It is also
great to see the final transformation. This was based on a book by Meg Cabot and really want to see a movie done for Airhead!

Ice Princess

I wonder whatever happened to Michelle Trachtenberg? But I really liked this movie. I saw it in the theaters, I remember little of it now but I remember really enjoying the emotion of the movie and its inspiring ending.

Clueless

A comedy classic! It is so much fun and yes Mean Girls is another movie, I know what you guys are thinking. but Clueless is the one that came to my head first. I really enjoyed all the moments of the movie. Alicia Silverstone is perfect in this role! Everyone of them was classic! But a personal favorite was the tarty speech.

10 Things I Hate About You

This was such a fun concept for a movie, to have to match make you sister so you could date but it is such a fun movie and features the late great Heath Ledger.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Yes, there was a movie before the tv show. I in ways liked the movie a little better because it was a cheerleader with no experience learning how to fight vampires. I thought it was hilarious and clever and i still do. This takes a more light hearted and funny spin at buffy's character and I think still holds up over time. I also thought Kristy Swanson was really sexy in it.

Supergirl

Yes, there was a movie before the tv show (I am noticing a pattern here), this is a movie featuring Helen Slater and I really think she is super cute and fun as Supergirl and it has decent effects and an interesting story. It is a notch above a tv movie and it feels like it was made by the same people that made the superman movies.

Hope you enjoyed my list! Please list your own favorite picks I would love to hear them!

1330
Jjpayne is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girls

• Wow! I would've thought these kinds of movies would solely be loved by women...
    I like the fact I'm wrong. =)
    Nice.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guys

• Nice take. A breath of air.

I tried doing the opposite with men and no one commented. But after that I saw thread after thread about how feminists are ruining GaG.

Hilarious!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • The funny thing is that after viewing this list I thought to myself 'Wow, so many movies I love but for a good one with a female lead we have to go back 30 years'. BUUUURN ME FEMINISTS

• @PeterVeen I'd love to see your list! and can you post the link for your movie list you made earlier. I'd like to see it

• Nice list! I think my daughters might like Jennifer's Body.

I can't remember the ending to 16 candles; does she get the boy she wants and leave the nerd by the wayside, by any chance?

Aliens was brilliant, because it was completely different to Alien (which was amazing), not just a clone.

Never saw Supergirl. Liked Buffy, but it was a good idea to drop the "spider sense" cramps and the flying vamps for the series.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 11

What Guys Said 28

• I have not watched the specific Tomb Raider that is mentioned here, but I would like to watch it sometime soon.

I've watched and liked Alien and the Breakfast Club, and they were alright. Otherwise, I have not seen any of the other movies, nor am I interested personally. Different people; different tastes, but the majority of the movies listed does not appeal to me at all. To each their own. Nice take though!

• Thanks all the same. Do give Tomb Raider a watch through, it worth at least one go round

• Here's one of my favorites, Raquel Welch in Kansas City Bomber. This was life in the roller derby world in the 70's

https://youtu.be/NRGVlRluMsM

• good pick! I will have to watch that!

• It's a good story, one of the few that Raquel isn't just showing off her body. She has to deal with a rival on her team that drinks and can't stand her, Raquel gets involved with the owner who turns out to be an asshole who exploits the players, and she has her own mother to deal with, who wants Raquel out of the roller derby. The girl that plays Raquel's daughter is actually Jodie Foster.

• All are great examples, but if I have to choose one, it is Legally Blonde. Not only did Reese do a fantastic acting job, but her character showed real resilience and loyalty

• You mentioned Alien, but no Terminator 2's Sarah Connor? Technically she is the leading character in the second movie, although we all know Arnold have the titular role as the Terminator. Recognize some of them, don't have time to watch or re-watch them now though.

• Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor. Those were 2 badass female lead, and it wasn't forced by making guys around stupid and weak. They were good because they were strong.

• To this list I might add Adrift. Saw it recently. Spectacular.

• You got me excited to see it now, thanks for the recommend!

• My favourite is TRADING PLACES with Jamie Lee Curtis. never get tied of watching it , there is also PRETTY WOMAN...

• Nice list. I didn't know they made a Super girl movie.

• Interesting MyTake but don't forget about the jumping shrimp in the movie The Ice Princess, you do remember that movie don't you since you put it in here

• Some of these are good films, but I was kind of oblivious to the fact they had female leads, tbh...

• Thank you, you just ruined half of these movies for me by including them in the social justice narrative.

• Well, I love Alien (s) -- but maybe that's when this SJW thing started in the movies.

• Other than Tomb Raider and Supergirl the rest are trashy chick flicks that a man has no business watching. Complete cuck move of you to even remember half of the shit on this list.

• Some of these make me question your taste in movies.

• Don't forget The Terminator!

• Sarah Conner is a force to be reckoned with

• I think she would SMASH all these wannabe tough girls in today's movies, your Black Widows and your Wonder Womans and your Lady Thors or whatever the fuck.

• Did not see Sister Act.

• OK, well done

• Frightful how many of those are horror movies. :D

• It’s ok nice list.

• Very interesting!

• More from Guys
    8