October 2001: Halloween from a 10 year old's perspective.

smahala1991

It was October 2001. Us kids as well as the rest of the country were still shaken by the 9/11 attacks that had happened not yet two months prior. Yet us kids still went out and had fun. One of my favorite memories of growing up was Halloween night. Usually we would go Trick or Treaing after school, or to a party on the weekend before since in Tennessee we had Friday, Saturday, and Sunday before Haloween free ( In Tennessee the last Friday in October was Statewide Teacher Workshops). That year I had a Halloween Party and Trick or treating to do. I guess you would like to know what my costume was?

I was SpongeBob Squarepants!
I was SpongeBob Squarepants!

Ok that guy isn't me, but I was SpongeBob that year. So, anyway my cousin was throwing a Halloween Party that year. My cousins were going to be The "Hocus Pocus" Witches ( You know the ones Bette Middler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker played). Spongebob was a hit show that year. I ended up winning the Costume Contest for the best costume. I think we also had jello eyeballs. However, the night after would be the best day.

We got out of school at 3:05 that day. As soon as I got out of school we headed straight 35 miles across to the North Carolina border. The local Walmart and Mall did indoor Trick or Treating on Halloween. We would go from store to store at the mall, then from department to department at walmart. I remember seeing store employees dressed up as Cruella De'vil, Mafia Gangsters (with toy tommy guns even), Princesses, Witches, Cats, and Superheroes all going around Walmart handing out candy. Then heading back into Tennessee we had time to hit the shops and houses in my neighborhood as well.

Gotta love the candy!
Gotta love the candy!

Typical candies I always liked getting were the fun sized candy bars of course, but my aunt always usually saved full sized ones for me. I also like the gummy candies, sweettarts, laffy taffy, smarties, wax lips, and Atomic Fireballs (My Grandma loved those so i'd save those for her). My grandparents never really cared about the house to house trick or treating due to the whole mess in the 70's and 80's with rumors of poisoned candy, razor bladed candy apples and the like (which there never was a single proven case actually).

The night would end with me eating a few pieces of candy (the candy bars always went first lol). I also would watch scary movies or a cartoon Halloween Special like the Rugrats, Spongebob, Animaniacs etc... Then about 9:30 it was off to bed and ready for November 1st (boo....).

What are some of your Trick or treating memories? Did you go to Halloween parties, or did your school do Halloween parties?

#Trickortreat

#HappyHalloween

4
10
4Girl Opinion
10Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• EnglishArtsteacher
    I'm glad to see you had such a great time! Your story brought back some memories.

Unfortunately, even here in Ohio, Halloween 2001 was a disaster. I was eleven years old, and our region here in Ohio agreed to "cancel" Trick-or-Treating. Instead, various churches, and other volunteering organizations/businesses in the area did "Trunk-or-Treat" sessions in the preceding Halloween weekend until October 31st. If you've never heard of a Trunk-or-Treat, it's where you'll go to a church/business/organization, and get candy from the back of car trunks, with police officers "guarding" the parking lots, and it's supposed to ensure safety.

As you probably guessed, our whole area was still paranoid from the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks, and everyone around here was a major Scrooge of Halloween. There weren't even decorations, or parties. It was the most bizarre Halloween I've ever witnessed.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Trunk or treats are more popular here now. I went out this Halloween and I only saw 1 or 2 houses giving candy but tons of businesses and churches

• ThisAndThat
    Halloween is just one of the many reasons I'm resentful not having kids of my own. Then there's Christmas and all the other times of the year I'm forced to spend alone. Those that have kids don't know how lucky they are.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Why are you resentful for not having kids? If you have a difficult time during Halloween or Christmas, go volunteer that day. I chose not to have children, and every Christmas dinner I volunteer at the homeless shelter and serve dinner to them. Halloween I volunteer at a public school. Lots of agencies would appreciate your help. Just a thought. Cheers ✌

• @fantasticass I see. Before I answer to your question, are you married by chance?

Most Helpful Girl

• vishna
    :) awesome mytake, I love the idea of saving some of the candy
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

38
  • Gedaria
    Here in the UK we absorb some of the things people in the US do.. Sadly there are some of them that are stupid , Halloween is one of them. When I was 10 there was no Halloween except when the film of the same name came out. That is where it should have ended …...
  • ATuairiscean
    Lovely memories
  • Kayla45
    Neat take
  • Massageman
    Block party when I was about 8 or so.
  • Montana07
    Interesting
  • Jo1991
    Happy Halloween 😀
  • MidnightCowboy
    Very interesting and good take
  • legalboxers
    hmmm..
  • CT_CD
    Amazing
  • Cute
  • Skullcap16
    nice take