The reason given for "Sweet Victory" not being performed at The Super Bowl.

The reason given for

Superbowl LIII to say the least was a very controversial event. The lowest scoring Superbowl ever and the least watched Superbowl in a decade. However, there was another big controversy, The halftime show. Maroon 5 were the headliners with Adam Levine going shirtless, which has been considered a double standard due to the Janet Jackson incident years ago. But, I'm not here to discuss that. In December millions of people upon Stephen Hillenburg's passing signed a petition for "Sweet Victory" to be performed at the game since in the Band Geeks Episode they played at Bubble Bowl which is the Undersea version of The Super Bowl. However, a source at Nickelodeon had said this.

The SpongeBob staff was approached by the NFL a week ago, to do the Superbowl Halftime Animation, on top of the other projects they were already doing, to "Meet the Fans halfway", instead of doing Sweet Victory like everyone asked them to do.

So basically they did a rush job animation for SpongeBob, not giving a shit. Teased it like it was going to be a big event to get the community to watch, and then basically did the bare minimum to try and please them.

In my opinion, this shows how people look down on animation as a whole. Especially people who think others are "Overreacting over a Cartoon", it was way more than that, and people just look down on animation as a whole due to it, including the NFL thinking this was an ok attempt and everyone would just be cool with it...

Just... it bums me out, it bummed everyone out, especially to learn how much the NFL really didn't care.

Honestly if people sign a petition it should at least be honored.

The reason given for
The reason given for
The reason given for

Honestly, It sucks that it was more up to the NFL and not Nickelodeon or Maroon 5.

#Suckerbowl53

#SweetVictory

99
smahala1991 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• I signed that petition, I signed it when only 30 thousand or so had at that point. They should have been more professional and not rushed things but prepared. We wanted the guys who originally recorded the song for SpongeBob to play with Maroon 5, and yet all we got was a video clip with no music that had nothing to do with shit.

As for him being shirtless, he's a douchebag. Are people really surprising by this? I don't know anything about Janet Jackson so I'm not gonna say anything.

Most Helpful Girl

• They baited a lot of people into watching just for that.

And I agree, they really don't take it seriously just because it's a cartoon, but that cartoon made a lot of people happy!

I feel kinda bad for Maroon 5 and the other performers, though, because I'm sure they didn't have a say in it yet people are blaming it on them.

Join the discussion

88
  • Honestly it sucked. People signed the petition and it wasn't just because they wanted to hear a high pitched voice scream out song lyrics, it was more of a way to honour someone who spent his life making that cartoon for children.

• Let's be honest here. Football isn't exciting. It may have a minute amount of exciting moments but the rest is boring. It's almost as bad as baseball.

Everyone pretty much knew the Patriots would win anyway.

• I predicted the Patriots would win, but I thought it would be more of a 31-29 score, not 13-3 lol.

Nobody expected it to be a defensive battle.

• I'm not annoyed because I'm a fan of SpongeBob I'm annoyed they pass this as a bug tribute to Stephen Hillenburg then threw him in the trash

• The entire Superbowl was a disappointment. If Maroon 5 had performed Sweet Victory, that moment alone would've been damn near iconic.

• For real me and my friends were ready to sing sweet victory. Until they played sicko mode.. Half time was bad.

• It was garbage now go dislike the video if you haven’t already we need to make it 2nd most disliked video

• "The halftime show. Maroon 5 were the headliners with Adam Levine going shirtless, which has been considered a double standard due to the Janet Jackson incident years ago."

It's like people have a hard time dealing with the biological reality that women have breasts and men do not. Oh, wait...

But after the Commie Capers of Kapernick, declining viewership should not be a surprise.

NO, it was not the low score, as both teams had great defenses, that was not a surprise to anyone who understands the game, to say nothing of the hardcore sports fans.

• Wait... people still watch this Stupor Bowl thing?

Huh. Imagine that.

• It wasn't meant for the cartoon it was meant to honour a man who made kids happy with his work who died a few months ago.

• It sucks. I was amped up for this since I heard it was supposed to be played during the halftime.

• The NFL are getting meme'd, when they could have BECAME the meme.

• interesting mytake thanks for sharing, good morning read!

• I was severely disappointed

• Im pissed, they spit on Stephans grave

• It did suck

• 😂😂😂😭