Things that are so 90s

Raise your hand if you grew up in the 90s. Then you’ll surely remember those days. Let’s take a trip down the memory lane and countdown the things that give you that warm fuzzy feeling of how life was growing up in the 90s.

1. MTV (Music Television)

When MTV used to play music videos and dedicated a whole month to pay homage to an artist/band that is on top of the charts worldwide. Not the MTV that we know now which only airs reality shows and not so much/zero music videos. I remember growing up watching MTV all day to night. It was my life!

Things that are so 90s

2. Boybands

Backstreetboys, Nsync, 98 degrees, 5ive, Hanson and many other boybands! The 90s was all about these handsome crooners who made a million girls including myself scream their names out and singing with them while wiping off their tears streaming down their faces. We even have their posters plastered on our bedroom walls.

Things that are so 90s

3. Supermodels

Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington, Helena Christensen, Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford among other supermodels of the world graced every cover of magazines and the catwalk. Throughout the 90s, supermodels dominated the fashion industry.

Things that are so 90s

4. Teen oriented shows/TV shows

Dawson’s Creek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Beverly Hills 902010 and Party of Five were big hits then about the lives of love struck and vampire slaying teenagers. Add to that list of TV shows were Baywatch, Are you afraid of the Dark, Mighy Morphin Power Rangers and Highlander.

Things that are so 90s

5. Blockbuster/VHS rentals

It’s Friday night. Where do you go? Head out to your nearest Blockbuster/VHS rental store to camp in for the weekend and watch movies YES straight from your VHS player.

Things that are so 90s

6. Mix tapes

I used to be on standby to be able to record my favorite songs straight from the FM radio station and stop recording when the annoying DJ cuts of my songs before it even ends.

Things that are so 90s

7. Bands, bands, bands

Hello Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Blur, Oasis, Third Eye blind, Wallflowers, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Hootie and the Blowfish, Garbage, No doubt and many more…

Things that are so 90s

8. Disney in the 90s

You cried when Simba’s dad was trampled to death and when Mulan was a war fighting daughter who sacrificed herself for the love of her dad. Alladin took Jasmin to a magic carpet ride and Ariel gave up her voice to be with her human prince.

Things that are so 90s

9. Fashion then was on fleek

Remember those baggy Tommy Hilfiger pants, crop tops, baby doll dresses, knee high socks, shiny polyester neon colored oversized coats and so on. Think Nancy Downs in The Craft or Cher from Clueless. Grunge look was a big hit among teenagers growing up in the 90s. Think Kurt Cobain.

Things that are so 90s

10. Teen royalties

When you say 90s, who do you remember? Alicia Silverstone for the guys and Devon Sawa for the young teenage girls were every 90s kids crush. Teen thriller movies such as Scream, I know what you did last summer, to name a few. Freddie Prinze Jr and Jennifer Love Hewitt were also 90s heart throbs and princess then.

Things that are so 90s

11. Sitcoms

When Will Smith took over Bel Air and Friends was a household hit, Jennifer Aniston made every girl run to their hair salon to get the famous Rachel haircut.

Things that are so 90s

12. Feel good cartoons

Gone are the days when they used to show feel good cartoons on Friday nights and early Saturday mornings. I haven’t even had breakfast yet my face is already on the TV watching Looney Tunes, Uncanny Xmen, Batman the Animated Series, TMNT, Tom & Jerry and so many more. Cartoon Network was every kid’s favorite go to channel.

Things that are so 90s

13. The music

What a good time to be alive. When you hear a 90s music play on the radio, it gives you the feels. From pop to rock to grunge to soul, it takes you to a happy place back when you were a 90s kid/teenager. Even the music videos were another level of amazing from the Spice Girls to Notorious BIG to Smashing Pumpkins to Alanis Morrissette.

Things that are so 90s

14. Blockbuster movies that are now classics

When Kevin McAllister was left home alone for the holidays while his whole family was in Paris and Jack sacrificed his life for Rose and when the dinosaurs took over Jurassic Park.

Things that are so 90s

15. Walkman/Discman

Carrying this around with headphones on made you look like one of the cool kids with a cassette tape/CD of your favorite artist. Don't forget your back up batteries just in case.

Things that are so 90s

16. Choose between using the phone or Internet

If you want to use the computer, get off your phone. Yes, it was a tough choice. Either you hang up on your bff to talk about Jonathan Taylor Thomas or go online to surf the World Wide Web.

Things that are so 90s

17. Gameboy/Sony Playstation1/Super Mario/Tetris/Sega/Sonic

Almost every kid in the 90s grew up to all these popular games craze. You think you’re so cool coz you have a laptop or an Iphone?

Things that are so 90s

18. Outside

We were the last generation of kids who played outside from morning till night. We used to get our knees scraped, our bones broken or faces dirty and sweaty from too much playing. Outside was our playground where we used to socialize and play with our friends and the neighborhood kids. Being grounded was sent to our rooms with no TV, Ipads or PS4 to entertain us and bedtime at 8.

Things that are so 90s

19. Taking pictures

Only the 90s kids remember waiting for eternity to finish the whole roll of film and bringing it to the nearest photo place to have them developed. Only then you know if the pictures actually were great or crap.

Things that are so 90s

20. Doing whatever the hell we want

There were no smart phones back then to record our shenanigans and trace it anywhere since there’s no social media to post it to.

Things that are so 90s

But we sure do remember every little thing growing up in the 90s. It was awesome!

Please feel free to add more anything that gives you serious 90s nostalgia.

Thanks for the time reading, loves.

XOs Pinay_Ako

3174
Pinay_ako is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girls

• That was a good walk down memory lane!
    Back in the day when MTV was cool
    When as a teenager, one of the best after school jobs was working at blockbuster! (The only downside was handling the returned porn videos 🤮)
    Fashion was very individual
    There was nothing worst then returning to the 1 hour photo processing shop, to discovered your film had been explosed to light, and the photos are all orange!

• yessss it breaks my heart when the pictures are all destroyed and we had no filters back then. What u see is what u get lol

• What about saved by the Bell who all loved that show, I'm still I'm love with Kelly kapasky and yes I'm aware that's probably not how her last name is spelled

• 4d

I must've grown up in a very conservative seaside town because our Blockbuster's didn't carry porn.

Most Helpful Guys

• Damn yeah I remember all that and how good it all was

Join the discussion

2972
  • I was from the late 90s and I wasn't involved with what was common at the time.

• In addition to your post, the following reminds me of the 1990s.
    # Sony Discman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Vq1jndDnM
    In the 90s, you were the coolest kid in the block or at uni if you had one, strapped on your waistline.

# Baggy Jeans, Brown Boots, and Dance Moves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3nubsj

# Hi-Fi Stereo System
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th9HW6snXH8
    Boy oh boy! Forget about Spotify. Forget about YouTube. Hi-Fi stereo was the pinnacle of orgasmic musical pleasure. If you had one of these, friends and chicks flocked to your crib for partying.

# Hairstyles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axPbsBYiF0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfK9ic5WWpI
    These hairstyles are so typical of the 1990s.

# Michael Jackson
    Keeping aside the scandals surrounding him, Michael's music vibes are so typical of the 90s, loved by people across all age groups and cultures.

• These old mobile phones: Things that are so 90sThings that are so 90sThings that are so 90s
    These old laptops: Things that are so 90sThings that are so 90sThings that are so 90s
    These old televisions: Things that are so 90sThings that are so 90s

• Lmao, remember playing outside?😂😂😂 My mother would have to yell out the window to get me to come in, I’ll always remember being in the middle of a game of something, dusk setting in, and then hearing my mom in the distance going “Steeeeeeeeeevennnnnnnnnn!!!”, and being like “fuck... I gotta go, guys”🤦‍♂️😝

• My mom will be yelling out my name at dinner time because she hasn't seen me all day lol

• Actually, quick addition: does anyone here remember playing a game called Relievio? Basically was a neighborhood-wide game of hide and seek/tag but with teams, each team had a “jail”, and you’d have to strategize to free them. That would go on into the night in the summertime. I miss playing that, haha, and also being able to have enough people to get pickup games of street hockey, football, and baseball. Literally all I did was play sports as a kid, that’s a glaring hole in my adult life, haha

• Not a 90s kid but believe it or not there were boybands, supermodels, tern oriented shows, blockbusters, mixtapes, bands, the same disney movies, bad fashion, teen royalty, sitcoms, cartoons, same music, movies, walkmans and discmans, phone vs internet, older consoles, playing outside in the 2000s and even today

• believe it or not, the 90s are not the same as 2000s and today... you are not even a 90s kid. You were just born or a baby when the 90s was ending. No need to rain on this parade :)

• 3d

Talk about blast from the past. I remember all that stuff. It's like I was traveling back in time. Especially all the clothing and the movies of the era. Wow , and to think they played music on MTV.

Excellent take.

• I agree with everything but the "last generation to be outside"

I am 19 yet always had scraped knees, loved playing outside with my brothers and would sometimes come back at 9pm which is a bit shocking! I see children riding their bikes around here all the time, of course though depending on the child, parents and their atittude children do sit inside.

Alongside always being outside, form 3:30 when school ended to 9pm, there were days where me and my brother sat down to play some xbox.

• or even the snacks we had that were the shit back then like dunkaroos, squeeze it, minute maid juice bars, soda-licious, etc lmao

yeah some of these snacks we still have today in the 21st century, but these came out wayyy before 2000 and were legendary haha

• I can relate to the playing outside stuff, despite being very much in the technology generation, I grew up in the countryside, I didn't get a phone until I was 15, and I spent my entire childhood outside in the nature all day.

• I grew up in the 80s and many of the things on this list were actually originally from the 80s and not unique to the 90s.

MTV (Music Television) - 1980s
    Supermodels (Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, Elle McPherson, Christie Brinkley) - 1980s
    Blockbuster/VHS rentals - 1980s
    Walkman/Discman - 1980s
    Taking pictures with film, playing outside, doing whatever you wanted, sitcoms, mix tapes and great cartoons those things go back even further than the 80s.

• I love the 90s. WWF wrestling, some of the greatest athletes played during that era, the cartoons, the TV shows, the low cost of stuff, the style and the fact that I didn't have to worry paying bills, no worries about relationships, just hanging out with friends, my idea of fun was playing basketball or soccer with the guys... not playing Fortnite for 15 straight hours and 20 cans of Red Bull. *smh*

• 1|1
  • I was born in 2000, but I got all of the VHS tapes my grandmother had made for my cousin who is 10 years older, so I grew up with 90's show and advertisements. I also had a typewriter that I spent a lot of hours writing nonsensical babble on before I could spell, until sadly it stopped working. I had some Kodak disposable cameras too, I can remember going to get them developed. :)

• As someone who was born in the late 90s , I can't remember most of these but I agree that the music was definitely back then
    That's when Marilyn Manson released Beautiful people!

• Water fights out on the green at the end of our street. That made the summer bearable... And racing our skateboards and bikes down the hill at the end of the street. That was fun, because the paving slabs were like the tactile ones at zebra crossings. and it felt weird as you'd ride over the little bumps.

Simples...

• I miss the 90s (I was only a child but I remember how carefree I was & how naive I was to the cruelty of the real world). However, I must disagree with you on “Fashion was on fleek” as I personally hated the oversized clothing, back then & even today. Also I was never a fan of those floppy hairstyles many boys used to have

• Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Your comment about Jonathan Taylor Thomas (my niece's favorite) reminded me of this SNL video...

https://youtu.be/3twGmSu1MI0

• 1. Oh yeah! I remember that. I remember Black Eyes Peas, Linkin Park, Rasmus and a few others.
    Also drawn together and pimp my ride 8)

2. Haven't known them

3. I never cared about them and never have... now we have instagram wannabes 🙄

4. I remember Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, Teen Titans and a few others. Good times.

5. Unknown to me. Except there were actually rental stores, where you could borrow games. That was cool.

6. Kind of familiar with that one, haha!

7. Yep!

8. I remember some of these too!

9. I didn't pay too much attention to it at that time since I grew up dirt poor.

10. Doesn't ring any bells.

11. Unknown to me.

12. I remember some of these too!

13. See number 1

14. That's a repeat of number 5

15. There were MP3 players, which were a thing back then but now we use our phones.

16. Oh damned be you ISDN!!! I loved Team Fortress 1.5 so much but there were such interruptions.

17. I had a PS1 8) Nowadays I can use my computer as a playstation 1. Software developers did a fantastic job of emulating those.

18. Kind of yeah!

19. Unknown to me

20. This is not exclusively the 90s thing.

I also remember Windows 98 and Windows XP XD :>
    And those times, when the government didn't infect the internet and also these insidious trackers and ads.

• The internet was so exclusive at the time that instant access to music was impossible until Napster. So artists were forced to be creative. All the music was more diverse. We had hip hop, grunge, alternative, electronic, etc. there was something for everyone.

Than it started getting shitty in the early 2000s and people just eat it up.

• 2d

MTV stopped playing music when the online pirating of music started back in the early 2000s.

Music videos on MTV was a huge marketing plattform for music. With sales rapidly declining across the entire industry, producing AAA-grade music videos wasn't worth the investment.

• I had a whole reply done and then it went and deleted it...
    From 90- feb 92, the 90d were amazing. I had no complaints, I was happy.
    Then in march 92, i ventured into hell. lol. Most of this stuff I wasn't allowed to view, so it wasn't until I was older, and w moved away that I was allowed to experience most of these things. That waas in the late 90s.
    Nevertheless, this def makes me miss the 90's and my childhood.

• I miss Dawson’s Creek, Buffy, 90210, and Felicity. Those were my shows! I looked forward to seeing them the whole week, back when on demand and streaming didn’t exist!

• Ended my teens and started a new life journey with the British Army ( enlisted 1989 , completed basic then Para in 1990 ) in the 1990's New decade , entirely new lifestyle. Served in the Gulf 1990 - 1991 , Northern Ireland 1992 and Bosnia 1996. Used to love the raves , then trance / hard house clubs , nothing like it now

• 90s kids act like their generation was this magical, mystical thing. Guess what, a lot of 2000 kids shared the same exact thing but you don't see it sharing it for likes and attention.

• I grew up with dial up internet. We only had a VHS tape player. I hated rewinding tapes. Don’t forget the Nintendo Gameboy color! That was my first game console I’ve owned!

• #12 definitely hit home. Kind of merges with 13 for me because a lot of those old cartoons had super catchy theme songs that to this day still get stuck in my head.

• I'm a 2000's KiD aNd I liKe aLl oF tHeSe!!!

Not really. Some of these I can relate to, but not all of them :). The 90s seemed really fun !

• Also everything was EXTREME! Its weird now watching old shows or movies and realizing they are so 90s (like the crow, that entire movie screams 90s).

• Why did I have to be born in the 2000's😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• They had some pretty awesome stuff in the 90's... thanks for the trip down memory lane

• In a way, I miss the world when it wasn't connected 24/7. You had to go out and talk to real people because you had no other choices.

• Went to a Ode to the 90's concert this past weekend. Worth it. Band it coming back again in September and I'll likely go again lol. Saved by the 90s concert

• I was a child in 1970s 2 to 11 , I was 12 to 21 in the 1980's , so 1980's mean the most to me , we also had best music. 22 to 31 in 1990's these were my important working/investing years, music was mostly dance music. 32 to 41 were my prime working years. 42 to now were my I know who I now am years, and the music is not as good , mostly , and I hate to sound like my parents, it all sounds the same. You can't tell country music from pop music anymore.

• Yes. You forgot handwritten notes! I still have some in my closet.

• This is like a flashback into my childhood 😂 what an awesome time to grow up through. Hip hop was the best it will ever be in the 90’s too.

• Nice memories. I remember when we had the best "odd-lot" laptops that money could buy - 384K of hard drive! Not 256, not 512.

• Not wearing a bra & having the air conditioning turned on full blast so everyone can see your erect nipples seems to have been so 90s

• I grew up in the 90s but I somehow can't relate to a lot of your points.
    I actually spent most of my teenage years on the internet trying to download music.

• good for you. but most of the comments can relate... :)

• I was still really young in the 90’s so I didn’t get to enjoy much until the 2000’s.

• One thing I still remember is Windows 95.

• 3d

Yess!!! That was my decade💗💗💗💗
    Pokemon
    Titanic
    Star Wars: Episode I
    Water World
    Playground on the weekends with family
    Jump rope

• Awwww i was born late 90s I wish it was a teenager so I could wait for a phone call from a boy like the good old days.

• Do you think I’m the 90s oeoooe spoke the same of the 69s? Or similarly nostalgic?

• omg yes! ... the best best best
    things just aren't as good anymore... sadly

• You just inspired me to write a my take on the 1970s

• I had a hot naked pic of Cindy Crawford on my school book. Remember making covers for your books? Also, the late 90’s music was fantastic.

• Yep tho I'm born in the late 90s, I can still relate because we're not so developed that the internet era came to our place later.

• I grew up in on MTV, 90210, VHS, CDs, cassette as well and to have car phone it had to Be on the phone in the car.

• I kiss the 90s it was such a simple time I feel like there was so much more love back then I

• No, you have just reminded me of how gross it was.. Thank you...

• love this, felt a good high amount of dose of nostalgia as i read this

• Was born in the early 90s also some of those things still are a thing.

Show More
51