What it's Like to Tell Your Parents You're Pregnant: My Journey

I look back to one year ago today, I had no idea how my life would change in so many ways! My parents adopted 3 kids. Not saying that it was such a good thing because it brought a lot of stress! The agency lied about them and it's scary how two of them behave...very scary! I'm in college and since last year I have made dean's list twice. When I least expected it I met the love of my life! We fell madly in love with each other. We found out that I was pregnant last week. I had no signs or symptoms and I thought I was just so stressed I wasn't getting my period for quite a while. It hit me all at once. I felt like I was just getting fat. My boyfriend mentioned it to me and I made an appointment. It was terrifying since we have no home.

My doctor came back and said it was positive. I knew my life was going to change forever! So far we made a list of everything we need to do. I start back up to college in about 2.5 weeks. I start my new job Monday. Since we are in our early 20s and in college we need help. We just need assistance temporarily, just until we finish and we get good jobs which will be less than 2 years. In a year on top of the two deans list and finding my perfect match I ended up getting pregnant, preparing for a baby, getting a new job, getting a newer car, finding a home, and having a baby and graduating college. My life became so hectic, and our baby isn't even here yet.

The Scariest part? Telling the parents. So, my boyfriend ended up breaking down because he missed me after I left. The day we found out I made a dinner the night before for a special day. He cried because I left before we ate because I had to go unfortunately. All these emotions hit him at once and he broke down to his mom and dad that I'm pregnant. I had to tell someone. His sister knew but no one else, besides a friend of ours. I texted my sister in law who lives states away from me. I told her and she told me that we had to sit down with my brother first who lives here (different brother) and so I was scared. I went over and told him...well I sat there and didn't tell them because I couldn't come up with the words. Emotions hit me when his wife said we know. I cried and she hugged me and told me it was okay and my brother was very supportive as well.

My boyfriend came over to his house to have a talk and we went to my house. I got my parents outside and we told them. I felt so unbelievably uncomfortable. I lost all words. My boyfriend ended up telling them. I didn't expect myself to freeze up. They didn't scream or yell or really anything I expected. They weren't angry, but they weren't happy either. This morning was the hardest because I didn't know what to expect. My parents adopted 3 little kids and none of them said a word to me. Only my little brother who is biological. The one who is really out there I think was just confused. She's 16. She doesn't know where babies come from. Recently she thought men can have periods too and can have babies. Also thought that potatoes can have mini potatoes growing inside of it and give birth to mini potatoes...I know crazy! I feel very awkward. In a few days once everything starts lining up better it'll get easier. It's rough telling parents. Especially, when they are always proud of you.

Life will be crazy. I'm scared, but once more and more things are done, life will be a little more relaxing than they are now. With trying to find a car, trying to find a home, and starting a job and trying to find a job for your man and everything can be so stressful. I try not to stress so much. He's going to be the most amazing daddy in the world. He's such a great person and he is so loving and caring, I've never met a man like him before. I mean my dad is an amazing dad, but I look at it differently because my boyfriend is my kid's father. We are both so excited to be parents, but once we get on a role with things we will be even more excited and not so stressed.

How do we do all this in a short period of time? I'm not so sure. Any ideas? Plus any boy and girl name suggestions? Thanks!

57

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 7

• 7h

Having a baby and graduating college? That will be hard on you and you will need lots of help from your parents. How did his parents react?

• 8h

Take one day at a time.

Stop over thinking things, and list your priorities. Think of the things you need and the things you need to do, not the things you want.

You need a place to stay, you do not need a car.

• 7h

Just take it one day at a time and let your instincts do their thing.

• 2h

I wouldn't tell them.

• 7h

Thank you

• 2h

Long one

• 7h

Interesting journey

What Girls Said 5

• 4d

What an incredible take, thank you for being so candid. Some of the really young girls on here need to read and insert themselves into your situation before its them for real. I'm also so glad to hear that you've made the choice to give life to your unborn child even though you two are aware it will bring financial and other hardships with him or her. I also cheer your fiancé for being there for you, staying and even renewing his commitment to you and both of your unborn child; that's one special guy, (husband) and I have been trying to get pregnant for going on a year, utilizing the help of the Doctors, we've had a few close calls so far but no bun in the oven yet. Every time we think, this might be it, we are disappointed. So it must be majorly intense to suspect, then know that you're really pregnant. I'm actually so scared to even say anything when it looks like I am, for fear that we will lose the baby somewhere along the way; that's the worst part getting your hopes up then getting knocked th the curb when it didn't work again. It will happen, I'm confident about that. Whether we have our own biological kiddos or adopt a couple, it will happen!
    Once again, thank you for sharing this, hope you share the progress too! I'm happy for you, I hope everything turns out well!!
    I also had a thought about giving things up or changing plans to make room for a baby in our lives (all prospective parents). Whether a baby is planned or just happens along the way, every parent sacrifices something to bring their baby into their family. So don't be afraid, things will work out for you and your fiancé, this is just a huge bump in the road of life, you'll get through just like countless others have too!!

• 4d

Awe thank you so much for your comment! It's so nice to hear such positivity from those you dont even know too! I hope you and your husband have luck here soon! If it makes you feel any better my aunt and uncle were told after not being able to get pregnant that they were never going to have a kid that it was nearly impossible for them. They now have 2 boys! 9 and 5. It's very hard trying to figure out what to do. Im 22 and he's 24. But it's all what you make out of it! There is always hope out there just have faith and it will happen:) and oh i definitely will continue to write about the progress it really helps me destress. If you dont already you should write, you are a good writer:)

• 4d

here the truth. You ruin both your lives. Forget your career and his. You have to feed this baby. You are both parents and with that come great responsibility. From obeservation as a babysitter I learned that your child will have to be first in your life. I honestly think you made a huge mistake. You won't be living for yourself anymore but for your family. I am selfish and I could never love anyone eles more then me. When the kid get little bit older you will hire a nanny like me with great recommendations and you will in a nuclear family and trust me that not easy. I feel like most people just give birth and give there child to a nanny.

• 4d

I have a few suggestions
    1. You don't need a newer car! You are having ONE baby, not a litter! You don't need a SUV, or an added expense of a newer car! Make do with what you have!
    Things you will need are savings! In case the baby gets sick, needs vaccines, nappies, clothes, food etc.

• 3h

It will all come naturally to you. I'm the youngest of 5 girls, and I am also pregnant with my first child. I learned not to long ago that I'm having a boy. my mom's first grandson third grandchild, my dad's 2nd grandson. I'll never forget how excited my husband was when he learned he was about to be a father. this is a new experience for both of us. hopefully you can get through this. take one step at a time. Save up money also. congrats girl ☺Samuel if it's a boy and Emma if it's a girl

• 3h

I jsut told my parents I'm pregnant but fortunately I'm in a position where I have a strong support system and financially stable.

And congrats!!!