Is wearing a bikini immodest?

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• I was going to say no, but by definition it kind of is. There are a couple definitions but the relevant one is:
    "(of a woman) dressing or behaving so as to avoid impropriety or indecency, especially to avoid attracting sexual attention.

(of clothing) not revealing or emphasizing the figure."
    It is exceptionally revealing so yes it is.

I don't think there is a problem with it though. Modesty is pretty outdated to large extents, I personally don't think it should be immodest to wear a bikini, but if you wear it specifically to be more revealing then yes I would call it immodest. Not much wrong with immodesty though, itself very common today.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • There are modest styles of swimwear. Modern bikinis are the least modest of them all. They show a tremendous amount of skin and girls even wear them when walking around (especially in Florida and California). Just because it's common doesn't mean it's modest.

I find these kinds to be relatively modest in comparison to what a lot of girls wear. Very stylish too!

1|3
    0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• Funny how girls don't want to be seen in their underwear but don't mind showing all most all on the beach. Most of those bikinis you see are not meant to go into the water. One good wave and they are almost off. Jump off a high board into a pool and they ARE off. :) For the most part they are worn to show off ( even though a lot shouldn't be wearing one if you catch my drift). But they get all offended if guys make cat calls or sexual tones on them. That is ironic.

2|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 160

• Depends where you wear one. At a beach, go right ahead. In public sure nobody would complain but men would gove you thirsty looks and women would think of you as immodest but likely wouldn't say anything. To work, well prepare to be invited to a private conversation with your boss after work, depending of how it goes you might get a raise if you know what i mean. To church, calm your tits satan that goes too far.

0|1
    0|0
  • Regardless, I think women can and should wear whatever they want. It's their body. Sure certain environments call for certain types of outfits. But as long as they are not breaking any laws, harming anyone, and are comfortable with being viewed in a sexual way. Then I don't see the big deal.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, think about it logically. Probably 90% of the body is naked and exposed. Sometimes more depending on the suit... thongs... micro bikinis. It is easy to get a sense of what you look like 100% naked, just the nipples are covered and the pubic hair is covered... sometimes the butt crack is covered... nothing else.

It is socially acceptable but it isn't modest.

1|1
    0|0
  • Nah, I think it's fine if it's in the right setting. I like to have my shirt off when I'm at the riverfront, beach, or just exercising--so for me it's perfectly acceptable to see women in bikinis or sports bras in these types of settings. Tbh though, I might take a few glances if I see an attractive woman wearing this type of attire, but it's only momentary and I'm back to pursuing my own interests.

0|0
    0|0
  • One person's immodest, is another person's modest.
    I've heard that men who live in a society where women cover up completely from head to toe find even the hint of an ankle immodest.
    I see bikini as just another swimwear option. I've never worn a bikini before, but I would imagine it would be more convenient than a one piece when making a trip to the ladies' loo. But then again, I was brought up in a culture, where people don't equate nudity with sex.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm going to go in another direction than those who already posted.
    I'm going to say it depends on the bikini style.
    For "normal" bikini's I'll say no.
    For "micro" bikini's I'll say yes. They don't cover much of anything. And, for what they do cover - why wear anything at all?
    I can't even post a picture on here of what they look like because they cover so little.
    Just google "Micro Bikini" and you will see what I'm talking about.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wearing a bikini on a beach is modest and acceptable. Wearing it on city streets or anywhere else is awkward unless one has a pool party St someone's place. This video sums up where it's immodest https://youtu.be/3inZUhDcr74

1|2
    0|0
  • This is a topic which is based on various factors such as :-
    1. The place where you wear one
    2. The country ( really important)
    3. People around you
    4. Religion as well for a significant population
    5. Lastly up to how you personally feel about exposing your body..
    I may have missed a few points but yeah consider these factors..
    Cheers !!

1|0
    0|0
  • Well ladies, what else are you supposed to wear on a really hot day, at a beach? I mean maybe a one piece suit, but I never wore one so I don't know how comfortable you'd be, so I assume a bikini is maximum comfort for you

1|0
    0|0
    • I don't know why less clothing means "comfort". Whenever I go to the beach, girls are constantly moving and tugging on their bikinis in order to fix it and put it back in its proper place. How is that comfortable/?

• True. I guess it depends on the tightness or looseness of the clothing. Like I bet a skin tight speedo wouldn't be comfortable for us men to wear either. And baggy pants are always falling down, so we have to rejust them. It all depends on the material it is made from (itchy, etc.) and how well it fits

• Immodest is determined by society. Personally I'd allow topless just like they do for dudes. Religious people like Islamists and feminists wouldn't like it either... a feminist would just push for whatever you don't like.

Anecdotally speaking... a pair of tits becomes old news pretty fast when the nipples are freed.

1|0
    0|0
  • Think about it like this; the same people (strangers) you would NOT let see you in your underwear, you would have no problem with them seeing you in a bikini? Why? It's basically the exact same thing, and sometimes underwear is more modest than bikinis.

2|2
    0|0
    • Hilarious isn't it? Girl logic.

• Their argument for that is "oh, that's different... in a bikini, it's a public thing but my underwear is private". But that still doesn't account for the fact that it's the same amount of skin or more. And the fact that these girls post images of themselves wearing their bikinis all over the internet. But then it's "scandalous" if someone posts images of them in underwear.

• Ur body u decide

0|0
    0|0
  • Modesty is subject to culture, religion, context and upbringing. For naturist, wearing bikini might be being overdressed or for most religious people it might be a taboo so its not really something you'd expect a nun (or anyone) to wear to church whereas in a western beach its totally normal.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the bikinis nowadays go WAYY too far. But i don't think that it is inherently immodest. I want people to understand that there is a balance.

0|0
    0|0
  • Immodest sure but thats only a problem if it bothers you or the social situation is inappropriate ie a bank. Others can think what theyd like but its up to you what you wear.

0|1
    0|0
  • Hard to say after being so used to it being perfectly fine with just about everyone. It often doesnโ€™t cover more than underwear, but underwear in general is private whereas swimwear is not. It seems to mostly be regarding the motive, such as simply to feel more relaxed or to show off.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not in the least. Indeed, nakedness is not immodest.

However, being dressed up head-to-to in a burkha and niqab is immodest.

Am I a loonie? Not at all. I am illustrating that CONTEXT and INTEND are what matters.

0|1
    0|1
  • Usually you wear it at the beach, because you're going to bathe, what else would you wear? So no. But if you wear it other places i think it depends on how sunny the region is and im assuming its near the beach

1|0
    0|0
    • "What else would you wear?"

There's a lot of different styles that have more coverage.

• Show All
    • I wouldn't, id be proud she's interested in me over all the guys drooling and not to say the least acknowledge that she's a free person allowed to do more or less what she wants just like me. I expect to be allowed to flirt with other gals every now and then without it meaning something, So why shouldn't she expect the same from me? I mean if anything it should just go to show that im special to her if she keeps choosing me over them. If i had a girlfriend

• yeah I just hope she's the type that's confident with her body

• Not at all, on the contrary. It's pretty normal, actually. But I see that some people prefer not to wear bikinis for religious reasons (for example) and I totally respect that.

1|0
    0|0
  • All depends on those involved, many girls are raised more openly without worries about covering up, same with guys that are around them. I was raised more conservatively, and a bikini caught my eye, when I met my wife she was a nudist and being totally undressed was nothing big to her.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 77

• By definition, they are not modest. However, not every setting has the same dress code. It all depends on where you are and what time youโ€™re in. Bikinis may not be modest but they are *appropriate* for things like the beach or pool or maybe even a swim suit themed party.

1|1
    0|0
  • Do you wish to wear one? Are you legally allowed to wear one in the streets or wherever you go? If so, I wouldn't care about what other people think. They do not control you or your life. If you feel like wearing one to a store, do it.

And no. I don't feel like it's immodest. I wouldn't care if someone was naked and shopping next to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on where you are while wearing it, and under which circumstances. If you were going to the opera, for instance, then a bikini WOULD be immodest. If, however, you were at a nude beach, a bikini would be extremely modest.

2|1
    1|0
  • By definition modesty is: dressing or behaving so as to avoid impropriety or indecency, especially to avoid attracting sexual attention. Impropriety and indecency are relative/subjective but... it would be naive to say that a bikini doesn't attract sexual attention. Therefore, yes, it is not modest.

0|2
    0|0
  • I have nothing against bikinis. If a woman wants to wear one, go for it. I personally feel too exposed like I'm walking outside in my undergarments so it's obviously not for everyone.

1|0
    0|0
  • For a naturist, a bikini is like being fully clothed. Even being naked is not immodest, in the right setting and with the right intentions.

0|2
    0|0
  • When worn at the right time and place there's nothing wrong with it if you're comfortable enough to wear it and feel confident and wear the ones that cover you to a decent extent rather than the ones that give you zero coverage

1|0
    0|0
  • hell no!

Bikinis are the greatest inventions ever made!

It allows us girls to show guys how good we look, almost naked and bikinis make us feel great!

Only some religious uptight person thinks bikinis are immodest.

0|0
    0|1
  • It is, but it's definitely not the least modest piece of clothing, especially considering how common it is, as well as its availability. So it being immodest isn't really a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Modesty is a controversial topic no matter how you slice it. It is controversial because it is both personal and vague: personal because our wardrobe reflects, in a sense, our heart, and vague because it can seem difficult to define. Swimsuit designer Jessica Rey believes bikinis are immodest, and sheโ€™s on a mission to help women find swimwear that is both fashionable and modest.

0|0
    0|0
  • ofcourse not and i dont understand why people are always after girls to tell them how to dress... no body ever asks guys to dress up in a certain manner

1|0
    1|1
  • Well you're showing a lot of skin, so I'd say not very modest since it doesn't leave much to the imagination.
    Is it slutty looking? Not if you're going for a swim.

1|0
    0|0
  • Immodest in my opinion is wearing anything that shows naked thighs, cleavage and belly. Anything else I think is modest.

0|2
    0|1
  • Like everything there's a time and a place. At the poolside or beach its pretty normal to wear a two-piece which practically resembles underwear.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most are fine. Not exactly modest. Modest would be a one piece then covered up. :) Depends on who you ask.

0|0
    0|0
  • All depends on the bikini and your standards...

I wear one with some decent coverage and don't think so !!!

0|0
    0|0
  • What else you can wear on the beach? Sweater and sweatpants?

1|1
    0|0
  • It depends on the bikini, where you are wearing it, and who you are with.

1|1
    1|0
  • It's not immodest! It's what everyone wears when they're going to a beach or a pool, so don't worry at all about what others think.

0|0
    0|0
  • If that one person in a certain book, wouldn't have eaten that apple, we wouldve all been naked and couldnt care less about being modest or immodest. Lets go back to that. ๐Ÿ‘

0|0
    0|0
    • No actually, far from it. Man has been designing clothes since our incep. It started with animal skins and then they learned they could use plant materials. We have always worn clothing as a species. Even cavemen did.

• Show All
    • Again, you are talking about a religion. I'm talking about documented history.

• @SirRexington please just stop, you're trying to win an argument on a comment that wasn't even that serious. As i said im not religious.. but if it would go that way it couldve been better ๐Ÿ˜‚

Please dont come with your facts, i know about them, im not stupid. But you're taking this way too serious, stop it.

+ i answered on how i thought it would make it easier , dont come with an answer like , again you are talking about religion, because yes i obviously do when i need to defend my own comment.. im not defending your real history comment am i?

• More from Girls

Recommended myTakes