Are there disadvantages to women wearing modest clothes?

Other than "boring" or other insignifcant answers?

1|3

Most Helpful Girls

• First of all lemme tell you what are NOT the problems:
    - Heat. Being a girl who covers the whole body and covers the whole legs and wears long sleeves, I don't feel too hot or anything as long as I wear the right kind of fabric for the weather. Plus i get protection from the sun which is great.
    - Cumbersome. Again, as long as I'm wearing comfortable clothes this is no issue.
    - Ugly. I get a lot of compliments on my dresses so yes you can wear beautiful clothes while you still cover.

Now the disadvantages:
    - Shopping. All clothes meant for teenagers are far more revealing than what I wear so I often have to get my clothes tailored, especially adding full sleeves to my clothes.
    - It is hard to dress for certain events. For example, dressing in professional clothes.
    - Influence of other girls. Like when I ask others what should I wear for events they tell me straight in my face to wear a short dress or something cause everyone else does the same.
    - Can't show off my gym progress to the world, but it's ok. ๐Ÿ˜›

I quit. There is literally zero disadvantage of wearing modest clothes but for the sake of an answer I still kept thinking of what I can say. Not anymore that's all.

6|3
    0|0
  • Well, I dress modestly and live in a tropical environment.
    My "struggle" and challenge is to look, "fresh" yet modest in a cute way.
    During fall and winter season its way easier.
    Yet summer times and when I'm working out is hard to create a look in which you look put together yet modest.
    I find it a fun challenge. :)

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Nothing. I don't think clothing has any effect on her perception to whoever is interested in talking to her. Showing skin made make somebody interested faster but that's not always the road to go if it's not your wave

0|1
    0|0
    • Right? If she got attention and got approached because she dressed like that then that's just attraction of instinct and it dies quickly :/

• Not really. I find them more attractive, for a different reason. When somebody wears revealing clothing I feel as though their asking for attention, so I avoid them in favour of somebody who shows as if they're modest.

I might be a little biased, but understand I'm not talking about everyday things. More along the lines of a woman who shows a bunch of cleavage on her profile picture. She knows what she's doing and that pushes me away from contact in favor of somebody who's not going to publicize a large portion of their rack with very large v-neck/loose clothing

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 37

• It depends on the ocassion. You have to dresd modestly at college/work or in other institution. However, I don't think it should be a rule. Dress however you feel and look best. Someone people can't pull off a bodycon dress and stuff like that, so modest clothes would look better on some people.

1|1
    0|0
    • Have to dress modestly at college? LOL. Come to some colleges in Canada and you'll see girls in crop tops, yoga pants, and mesh shirts in class.

• It won't stop men from raping but I this k modest clothes are better, for reasons of not advertising your body as it screams low self esteem, but club clothing is different. There are still various types of styles that are suitable for different occasions.

5|2
    3|3
  • I think the disadvantage is being burdened with the idea that your body is sinful. And perhaps more damaging might be the idea that you are superior to others because of dressing modestly. But these are not issues for all people who dress modestly.

I think people should dress in whatever way they feel best. There's room in this world for all different ways of dressing.

5|0
    3|2
    • I'll not burdened with the idea that my body is sinful. I think my body is a very valuable and private part of me that I better not expose to everyone. Only to my future husband.

I don't believe that I'm Superior to anyone for clothes only. I'm sure there are plenty of women who barely cover anything but are still doing much better job than me in many aspects in life. But I do believe that when it comes to clothes only, I still doing a better job by covering, like why else would I dress modestly?

How people dress is none of my headache and it is not how I judge a person.

• Women will be less confident in themselves. Those who cover more tend to be insecure and wearing more showing clothing is a way to make yourself comfortable in your own skin. For example a woman wearing a crop top most likely is satisfactory with her stomach, a woman wearing an oversized hoodie might not like her body.

0|0
    4|4
    • I see it the other way around. Women who reveal too much skin or wear very tight clothes try to project the image of 'the self-confident woman', but in reality they are seeking attention and validation from the others, especially men.

• Show All
    • Haha it's alright we're all learning from each other here ^_^

• It's ok people fuck up things but learn from them.

• Absolutely none and whoever believe that lie or is the silliest person in the world because why would you like sure all your cards in a poker game the same thing leave something to the imagination. What else would you have to give then

3|2
    0|0
  • Yeah, hot. I admire all the muslim women who wear hijab in this tropical neverending hot country. I can't even stand outside in long sleeves, I'll be drenched in sweat within the first 10 mins.

2|1
    0|1
  • No? Are there disadvantages to women wearing more revealing clothes, other than "distracting?"

1|0
    0|0
    • Um
      Wrong kind of attention?
      Stained reputation?
      Getting chased and/or catcalled?
      Repulsive to some good guys?
      Higher chance of rape?
      Attractive to bad/fake guys?
      Feeds the ego of many women?

You can't control the masses, so why take this risk?
      Do you really need this extra bit of conditioning?
      Or your confidence comes from the way you dress? :/

• Show All
    • You've elaborated on what you mean by "wrong kind of attention," but you still haven't explained why you think it is wrong. Besides, women shouldn't have to dress a certain way because of what other people will think. She can just tell the others to mind their own business if it bothers her.

The reputation argument is pretty weak. If people are that concerned with their reputation, there's a deeper problem.

I think we have very different criteria for what is considered a good guy. I'm not interested in anyone who would be offended by other people's clothing choices. If you want someone who dresses modestly, then that's your choice, but it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the girls who don't.

I've already addressed the rape argument. Rape is more about asserting power than about sex. Rapists find easy targets. People who trust them, or who are defenseless. Clothing is irrelevant.

Also, I've been catcalled while wearing jeans and an oversized sweater.

• We seem to have different criteria about everything to be honest haha

Oh well, I learned many things from your point of view and I hope you did from mine too :3

Have an amazing day ๐Ÿ‘‹โค

• I wear modest clothes and when I state this online some people will assume I am oppressed. Then when they find out I'm a Muslim they'll assume my father is forcing me to dress modestly.

But following Islam is my choice, I wear what I like and I like modest clothing, therefore, I dress modestly.

Also, a lot of fathers) from many religious/non-religious backgrounds) are against their daughters dressing revealingly, why is it when a Muslim father is against it, it is seen as oppression?

1|0
    0|0
    • Exactly. Muslim women are usually and stereotypically seen as 'oppressed' if they are modestly dressed or wear a scarf, which is not true in most cases. The West fails to see it can be a choice.

• There really aren't any major problems with dressing modestly, but a small one is that it might hold you back from wearing a nice outfit that just has an immodest cut to it. Other than that dressing modestly is fun and looks cute!

1|1
    0|0
  • There are no disadvantages of women dressing modestly... other than close people judging her, but that part depends on her. If she sucks at choosing friends, thatโ€™s her own fault.

0|2
    0|0
  • The one I've noticed.. there are many who tend to smell and not in a good way.

0|0
    1|0
    • Show All
    • It beats me why they all choose to wear black.
      I might think twice if I lived in Saudi Arabia, but I don't.

• Meh forget Saudi Arabia
      I'm not talking about Burqa or that extreme shit
      I'm saying covered+beautiful

• at formal and professional situations it is more respectful to wear modest clothing. or at religious places.
    you also get taken more seriously in those cases

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I never wear immodest clothes.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

1|1
    0|0
  • Not really. I dress like a little prude pretty often and I'm happy.

1|1
    1|0
  • Modest? That Isa term men use to make woman feel bad i Will West whatever i want! No one can control me and free and me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont think so so far the only disadvantage is that people assume that you have no boobs ๐Ÿ˜‚

0|1
    0|0
    • I don't think I've ever made that assumption with modest outfits. I've thought subconsciously "there's probably no boobs under there" if she's wearing really baggy clothes.

• Depends really. I from Britain so I usually ware a jumper and jeans on a regular day because of the weather and lts just practical and comfortable Im not strongly religious but I know some women dress modest because of their culture and religion but I can't imagine wearing something like a traditional black burka in Saudi weather is comfortable or practical so if we're talking modest in that contexts i only see it being unpractical and uncomfortable in hot weather besided that I see no disadvantage

0|1
    0|0
    • Covering in hot weather is very practical. It protects you from the sun and if you wear comfortable breathable clothes then it doesn't feel bad at all.

• @CubsterShura oh okay then. I just always see them ladys and imagine it wouldn't be comfortable for them but I see wear your coming from

• Yes and even if I don't cover in the first place, I would still cover myself from head to toe anyway if I ever go to a place like Saudi Arabia because I wouldn't wanna be exposed under the sun in there. Where I live is really hot too but it's humid so I literally only wear cotton in summer.

• I dont think there are any disadvantages of wearing modest clothing.

0|1
    0|0
  • i dress modestly . and i don't let that get in the way when i'm ready and easy .

0|0
    2|1
  • Well nicer clothes they wear nicer they look but hey if they feel the most comfortable in this clothes then why not

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 39

• Firstly. Define modest. Western modest is significantly different than Saudi Arabia. Women should be able to wear whatever they want. Modest or not.
    The disadvantage is being controlled. Per capita rapes are significantly lower in countries where topless women are a norm.

3|1
    0|0
  • It might be harder for them to find appropriate clothes as our society becomes more and more immodest.

2|2
    0|0
  • It should be okay, I mean that is a usual thing in arab world, or used to be.
    Now guys wants to see leggings, tights.. Etc
    It is just they care about the body and got more shallow.

0|1
    0|0
  • No disadvantages at all. Modest girls are the best and earn all my respect.

2|1
    0|1
  • Are you kidding? Her boi can't see enough! Disadvantage!

0|0
    0|3
  • Well the only disadvantage that I can think of is that it could get a bit warmer in modest clothing as opposed to clothes that show a lot because of reasons that are hopefully obvious if it's something like a dress you might have to pull it up a little in some places so as not to mess it up or tear it and a dress could get caught on some things

0|0
    0|0
  • I rather like that innocent feminine look. Dresses and girly things and dressing modest doesn't mean bad

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes when you give too much freedom people tend to take advantage of it. And well judging by how a lot of girls are dressed yh iโ€™d say they definitely took advantage of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess I don't understand the motivations of some of the posters. Are you claiming that in your country, women are dressing too provocatively?

0|0
    0|0
  • I sometimes think they look hot and uncomfortable in hot weather - Also just walking around is a good way to get a colour from the sun

0|0
    0|0
  • They won't attract homasters and players very often. That's about it.

After all, "modest clothes" means nothing. It could just be a windy day.

1|0
    0|0
  • There are none but women will still wear unmodest clothes for what ever reason.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. "modest" is a code word for ugly. Because the people who decide which is modest and which is not are usually unfashionable (usually male) prudes, rather than the people who are going to actually wear these clothes, the designers are at a further remove from their customers, as well. The clothes are then often ill-fitted, poorly made, badly designed and over-priced.

Fundamentally, the problem is that you are assigning the virtue to the wrong thing. Clothes are not modest or immodest; people are. A modest woman is still modest, even nude in the bath with her hair spread around her. A modest man will see her that way,

1|1
    4|3
    • All those who downvoted without comment are obviously unable to justify their position. Thanks for those who agree.

• The only disadvantage I can think of is that she may get overlooked or blend in to much with the crowd to get noticed by a guy.

0|0
    0|0
  • The fact is that a modest dress will show less skin and cover the shape of the body or most of it, depending on the dress. So, for a person/society who is interested in seeing a lot of a girlโ€™s skin and the shape of her body, particularly, certain parts of the body, then for that person/society, it is going to be a disadvantage but not for the modest girl.

Moreover, if a girl is dressed modestly, it does not mean that she is going to be less beautiful, less elegant or less confident. That depends on the girlโ€™s knowledge of fashion. And, if she is creative enough, she could create her own type of clothing that, for example, could be worn under the sun. itโ€™s not impossible!

If dressing modestly was a thing or a trend in the world today, the fashion industry would not have a problem creating stunning and modest dresses that suit every season and would be worn in different climates. However, I donโ€™t think it is something they will consider!

0|1
    0|0
  • Only if they're tryna be a slut or otherwise be known as one.

0|0
    0|0
  • I imagine there's disadvantages for a modest dressing stripper.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so aside from what people say. It's up to them on how they tolerate it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It won't get you a husband, ladies.

0|1
    1|0
  • None at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes