Can a 36 year old woman dress the same way as a 20 y/o one?

My mother started to wear the same cloths as me! Just yesterday she want us to do shopping together, so that we are buying the same kind of cloths ( like the girl in the picture). I don’t know why, but she started to wear some shorties, crop top, boots! She had me at 16 so she is 36 ans I am 20. But it’s strange for me to see her imitating my style, and she even started to use insta and snap, with my friends. Is it normal? Can a 36 year old woman dress the same way as a 20 y/o one?Can a 36 year old woman dress the same way as a 20 y/o one?
  • Normal
    Vote A
  • Not normal
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|2

Most Helpful Guys

• It's rather normal when people get older they want to break out of their comfort zone that have built. They get tired of the same routine they have had for the past several years.
    The only real danger is when they go too far. I have seen people who no longer had a youthful look, nor the body, trying to dress like a teen. Totally ridiculous looking.
    A lot of the time the person will go to one extreme, then tone it back a little and find a happy medium that is something youthful and stylish, but also age appropriate.

0|1
    0|0
  • Wait, hold up...

I thought it was MEN who were so judgmental in telling women what they should or shouldn't wear? Why do I see so many women criticizing each other, and criticizing men, too, while the majority of men don't seem to give a rip what people wear?

4|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• If the body fits the style I say why not? ... but she still must act as your mother rather than just a friend... cause then that is weird to me... and also regardless of age or style, one must dress appropriately for the occasion... for example you wouldn’t wear that stuff to church or family gatherings and such... but to the mall, park or brunch type of thing sure, why not if it looks suitable..

I strongly dislike when people, women in general start cutting their hair off at a certain age making the, selves look even OLDER and dressing like grannies just cause others or themselves say that they can no longer wear this or that cause they are old now lol... I mean If their body got bad and they look old then yeah dress to your body... but if you are older and don’t look older why ruin your image while you can still wear nice stuff? I forbid my mom to look like a grandma lol I said you never never chop of your hair like all my aunts cause they look super old! And she looks drastically younger than them simply for just having her long hair..

It if your mom is acting like teenage drama queen then that’s weird... she should still be a mom... and while she can dress nice and be cool with you, there is a limit in my opinion...

4|0
    0|0
  • It depends. If by like a 20 year old you mean skinny jeans, funny colors, haircuts, makeup and stuff like that then I think it's fine. But very short skirts and cropped tops are a bit much, but not in your 30s, but if you're 40+.
    After an age you need to dress a bit more classy than in your youth. That doesn't mean you need to dress like a nun, but you need to show the right amount of skin. Some girls in their 20s wear cropped tops and butt short shorts on the street... I wouldn't want my mom dressed like that...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 184

• If she is fat after pregnancy.
    Tell her to go on a low carb diet.

Low carbs is the fastest way to burn 10+ pounds in a week. 10+ pounds as in if you exercise and do cardio at the gym.

What is a low carb diet?
    NO PASTA!
    You can only eat MEAT, VEGETABLES, AND LITTLE FRUIT!!

0|0
    1|0
  • I think a 36 yr old woman could totally pull of some of the outfits 20 yr olds wear. Of course bottom line is people should wear whatever that want as long as they feel good in it and forget what others think. There is too much worrying about what others think anyways. Everyone should just be themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • She is probably trying to hold on to her youth. She realizes that in a few years, she will be 40 years old. It is rather sad that she cannot age more gracefully.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's kind of in the middle. I think at a certain age you have your own style and it changes over time. But I think you should still be able to feel young in your 30's. There are boundaries, I put it this way, would you still like to feel young in your 30's? I would consider helping out your mom but setting some clear boundaries for you and her. Tell her your comfort level, and see how she responds. If she respects it, you can move forward having fun with your mom

0|0
    0|0
  • She can.

Whether she "should" is a different question.

In this case I don't see why not. If one of you weighed 300lbs it'd be different.

2|1
    0|0
  • A woman's fashion is very versatile, so i will say that it is OK for a 36 y/o woman to dress like 20 y/o. But in your question, there is an additional issue that this 36 y/o woman is your mother. If I were you, I will definitely feel awkward, but I will not do anything about it either. It is her choice after all.

1|0
    0|0
    • Exactly if she wasn’t her mom I don’t ecen see why three be a question.

• Typically not normal just because clothes might indicate more than what we want to reveal like for example career status. A woman in her early 20s might "look" like a college student or someone who doesn't have everything figured out yet, but a woman in her 30s might dress more professionally, or otherwise indicate higher wealth.

0|0
    2|0
    • That doesn't mean women your mom's age can't or shouldn't dress younger, what's fun is fun; as in age is only (or mostly) in the mind.

• While a woman can dress however she likes, that is not the same thing as saying she can dress however she likes and not look ridiculous. However, keep how she looks in mind and remember one important fact: That is you in 16 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • The only time I would think dressing a certain way matters is when they're really old... like 80 and have a sagging figure. That goes for fat people as well. Too young is also a problem. You don't want pedos to check out kids like 12 years old. But other than that people should be able to wear what they want. I see absolutely no problem with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’ normal. She may feel that something is missing in her life and needs a change. She may not be ready for 40. Most people are not ready or willing to accept the fact that we are not “young anymore. Maybe she is trying to stay close to you because she may feel like she losing you. It could be absolutely nothing at all but a fashion change.

0|0
    0|0
  • If she is in good/great shape and feels good about herself then I guess she can dress however she wants. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    I guess it's ok as long as he isn't wearing the exact same outfits you are!

0|0
    0|0
  • It may not be normal but considering she is only 36 sure why not she is still Young
    If ur mom still has a rocking HOT body of a 20's something woman then accept it but don't be surprised if you're boyfriend is more attracted to your mom and dumps you for her

0|0
    1|0
  • Are you immature?
    Why should you put a dress code on age?
    Are you that insecure?

4|1
    0|0
  • She can dress how she wants but 36 year olds usually look a bit less desirable in clothes for your women. But maybe she looks 20 years younger. But I know she doesn't. But why does she suddenly want to be a 20 year old?

0|0
    0|0
  • People can wear what they want. But, it might mean that your mom is trying to experience the kind of youth that she missed. So, that bit might be weird.

Also, those raspberries look absolutely delicious.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's great as long she is being authentically herself, and besides, different people have different perceptions of what "normal" is anyway, so there in trying to be normal or even not-normal is too much effort and probably won't work anyway since people change their minds basically all the time.

1|0
    0|0
  • she's either trying to find a bond with you or she doesn't like the way you dress and is purposely trying to ruin the styles for you so you loose interest in them dont quote me on it that its just a theory

1|0
    0|0
  • She’s still young. Let her enjoy her youth. Although normally I’d say dress style depends more on appearance rather than age and what you’re dressing up for

1|2
    0|0
  • Sorry to give a tangential answer. Is that your Mom. It probably isn't what you want to hear but she could be the queen of the MILFs. Wonder what her daughter looks like

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont know what normal and not normal have to do with yes or no. But I picked not normal because I hope I am not normal. A 36 year old woman can dress any way she damn well pleases

0|0
    0|0
  • If she has the body to pull it off and she looks good, I say go girl. Be supportivery of your mom, because you you are her daughter. Your going to be 36 one day and you may be hoping you look as good as she does when your her age.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your mom is probably trying to steal all of your boyfriends through imitating you. You should be worried.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh of course. 30 isn’t old by any means. It’s not even mid way. Many 30 year old women look better than girls in their 20’s. just depends

If you got it you got it. If not then not. Doesn’t matter the age.

0|0
    0|1
  • If she's comfortable and confident enough, why not?

6|0
    0|0
    • Here’s some food for thought... if she looked older than her actual age, should she dress in clothes befitting the age she looks?

• If your mother has the body, then she should dress like you - She is using you to gauge what is " In Style " now. The most important thing is that she is happy doing these things you write about. Help her and encourage her. I can understand that you question this - She is your mother, that is why it may seen odd to you. It may be better if you only think of her as just another girl, and treat her that way when it comes to your friends and any social media sites you both happen to be on. - The next time you are talking with her you should work into the conversation that you want her to treat you around your friends and on social media as just another girl also. This would take away any mother - daughter conflict or stress that may arise. - If your friends ever ask you about her ( The ones that know she is your mother. ) Just tell them to treat her as just another girl - not your mother. ------- She really is just another girl trying to be happy.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sound like your mom is having a mid life crisis. Nothing wrong with it within reason. She starts coming on to your boyfriends and whatnot then there's a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • fashion choices aside (I said yes), is she going through something? Maybe she feels neglected by you or someone else or is just trying to be closer to you after some fight or some issue or is just feeling lonely and this is her way of coping.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anyone can wear anything they feel comfortable wearing as long as it's in compliance with the local decency legislation
    Nothing more then that has relevance

0|1
    0|0
  • no, she's not only at an age where she should be more modest she is also a mother, self respect is all we got if lose it its not easy to get it back

3|0
    2|0
  • She's feeling old and is trying to recapture her youth as it quickly slips from her aging fingers. Pretty soon she's gonna be hitting on any guys you bring around the house.

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 109

• This question is too stupid for words. 😆

3|5
    0|1
    • Hahaha, best answer!

• Show All
    • @4804022407 What about the asker judging her mother for what she is wearing?
      I went out for a fancy dinner for my nieces 18th birthday and we were practically wearing the same style of dress, we both had a giggle out it.
      This mother has devoted her twenties to raising her daughter and her daughter would've definitely come before any man.
      Now this mother is seeing her chance to get out, work on finding herself again and maybe even get back into the dating scene.
      I don't think the daughter should be telling her mother how to dress.
      No one should be dulling her sparkle because now is the time for her to shine.

Kind regards
      The good wife 👍

• @Goodwifie

That's actually a really mature and well thought out response, and I now actually agree with you. I honestly was just expecting a typical half assed response, like most internet users give me. In particular, one with a lot of profanity and trying to offend me. But yours was the exact opposite of that, by far.

• It's totally normal. If she is making you uncomfortable she should be willing to take a step back and talk it out with you. If she is not stealing boyfriends or trying to take over your life, then she is still acting normal and healthy.

Young moms give up a LOT when we have kids. We essentially have to skip many of the fun years and mature too early. Once you guys get older, and more independent, all of that youth that we repressed starts to come back. I had my kids right after high school, and I did not make it nearly as far as your mom before I snapped back and started acting younger again. Might be because I spent too much of my childhood having to act too old.

My advice is to respect her sacrifices and support her reclaiming some of what she lost. Understand that she is including you because she likely adores you! You have been a huge part of her life for almost half of her life! It would mean the world to her if you were supportive and enjoyed the extra friendship and attention from her.

You should also consider why it makes you feel uncomfortable? Maybe you are just not used to it, but perhaps you could also benefit from it? Like I said, if she truly oversteps, then you should worry. If she's just being friendly then great!

0|0
    0|0
  • By age 36 most women who wanted kids have them and are usually not in the shape as they were when they were 20. Not many look good trying to dress like a 20 yr old, depending on genes and that. I think someone is trying to relive their youth through her daughter. I'm thinking she is divorced? Hang with your daughter and friends and see if you can pick up some young stud type of behavior it sounds like.

2|0
    1|0
  • This is hard to answer because this is something that many people see differently. On one hand, obviously she can wear whatever she wants at whatever age because there's 50 year old women wearing Winnie the Pooh t-shirts lol. So, sometimes it's just personal choice. On the hand, I can understand why being young you wouldn't want your mom dressing like you because she's your mom and it's weird. So, I completely understand.

As far as normal is concerned, obviously it's not the average trait of most mothers. However, some people who feel they were shorted out of their teens and twenties because they had to take on adult responsibilities, tend to claim their youth when they get older much to the dismay of their children. Though people might not realize it, a parent acting or dressing like they're a teenager again when they have a teen, can take a toll on the child. So, if it really bothers you, you should talk to your mom about it and explain why it's disconcerting to you. Maybe that would help.

0|0
    0|0
  • She can wear whatever damn thing makes her happy. The closer to 40 you get, the fewer fucks you have to give about what anyone else thinks. By age 50, most women have entirely run out of fucks to give.

2|1
    0|0
  • I think that's really cute, and if she looks good that's all the more reason to flaunt her style! My mom has a youthful spirit too - not in terms of fashion but personality, like she likes to wear pretty dresses, go clubbing and goes on dates. I love her youthful spirit.

3|0
    0|0
    • -She works too, noo worries! I don't mean to make my mom sound like a prostitute LOL

• I’m 38, but I will not start dressing in crops and short shorts around my kids. I save that for my vacations and trips without them. I dress sexy but with class. And when I go out shopping I get their opinion on if it’s too young for me or not. I don’t want to be the mother that embarrasses her girls for trying to hard.

0|1
    0|0
  • Just because you can dress that way doesn't mean you should-

I'm in my 30s and yeah I can still wear several clothes I used to when I was in high school and college... but I don't because I know it's not age appropriate.
    Your mom just missed being a teenager because she had you so young so now she's trying to enjoy her life, lol.

I mean it's weird, but as long as she's not lying about her age and she looks good in it, let her enjoy herself!

1|0
    3|0
  • Dress however you want to dress!! Who is anyone to tell anyone how to dress? Let people live the life they want, free of bullshit. It angers me that people think they have the right to tell someone how to live or what to do or what to wear etc. If they aren't hurting anyone Let it be!!

2|0
    0|0
  • My answer is HELL to the yes. If a thirty year old women has a good looking heathy body she can dress like a 20 year old, hell she can dress how ever she wants. 20 and 30 isn't that big of a age difference. It'll be different if there was a women who was about 50 or 60 ish trying to dress like a 20 year old then that'd be a problem.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's probably nothing meant to make you uncomfortable and she might feel like it's a bonding experience rather than trying to be you. I would talk to her about how you're feeling if you're close enough. I will say I'm 33 and I don't feel like I'm not allowed to wear what I used to. You don't just wake up and feel "too old", you know? So maybe if she knows you feel uncomfortable, she'll dial it back a bit. Good luck!

0|0
    0|0
  • Should a 20-year-old or any year old women or girl dress in that manner at ALL? I would rather wear clothes that I can still fit in from my pre-teen - teen years than outfits like that to try to 'prove' your a woman. What matters is whats appropriate not so much of just what she wears. It's her business either way as long as she doesn't advertise. A lot of other women don't have a problem with what I wear. Many of them assume I'm a teenager anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, they can, IF they have the body for it and maintain. I have seen women at my gym and studio that are in their 30s who are in AMAZRNG shape. One is a local news person. They can and have pulled off looks that are much younger than their age. It's because they have no excess fat and so they dont look like soccer moms stuffed into their daughters clothes when they dress up and out

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably because the things around now were not around when she was younger, so she wants to enjoy them before she's too old to. Long as she looks nice and young enough still, and doesn't look like a prostitute, then who cares?

I just hope she doesn't try stealing men off you O_O then that is too far.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes they can providing that they have the body to go with it, the thing is if say I dressed like a 20 year old around where I live most know my age so it be like mutton dressed as lamb

1|1
    1|0
  • Yeah of course, at 36 you probably still have the body for it, unless you've had kids then it'll show (but not always). Though I have seen some 30 year olds who simply CANNOT pull it off anymore and some who really can, it just depends on how well you look after yourself :D. Obviously I can, but I'm 21 lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like something that comes with having a young mom. Anyone can dress how they want. Depending on the person the way the look is pulled off varies.

4|0
    0|0
  • Yes, yes and yes again! My personal opinion about dressing is, you
    have to feel good about what you are wearing as long as you are appropriately dressed for the environment you'll be. Like if you are going to the beach, wear shorts, if you are going to church cover yourself... but how old you are doesn't really matter, if you feel good with the clothes and you are appropriately dressed for the venue. then Why not?

0|0
    0|0
  • No because it would send my daughter the wrong signals and I don't want to be a source of any kind of influence of lifestyle that I don't wish for her to have. I understand that ultimately she will make up her mind on the way she wants to behave and dress, but as her mom I would raise her to be respectful. And my dressing and behaving like that would make me a bad influence on my kid. At least that's the way I feel about it. I see it as disrespectful but other people may see it a different way.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as she doesn't over do it with the tiny shorts and cut off tops. It could come off as desperate for attention even if she has the body to rock the look.

1|0
    0|0
  • 36 isn't even old anymore. 60 year old women look on their 20s these days so I see nothing wrong with a woman dressing sexy, youthful, and stylish no matter her age. If she's got the sex appeal, she can surely wear whatever

1|0
    0|0
  • If she's got the body, let her go for it she's probably feeling good.
    One day she won't be able to do these things anymore, or for much longer, so let her work it while she can.

0|0
    0|0
  • She is trying to make up for the fact that she had a belly and probably more fat when she was young and now she is trying to relive her youth. Sort of a midlife crisi. Its not okay

0|0
    1|0
  • My mother is 62 (she looks 10 years younger) still she dresses very good for her age, she still has a great body and she has great style. Wearing Nike pumps, slim jeans etc. but with that said she still dresses classy and wouldn’t wear a crop top with short shorts unless she was at the beach. But she might look younger and still feel young inside, which is what matters. Let her be

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it’s normal... but that doesn’t mean it’s OKAY. Lots of moms do this once their daughter is in their 20s, I know a few personally. Just bc it’s prevalent and normal doesn’t mean it should be normalized.

0|0
    0|0
  • ugh people need to stop this, ur too young to dress like that, ur too old to dress like that. when is the right time then? when ur 27 inbetween the months June and august?

2|2
    0|0
  • 36 isn't old... And I have a question which you do not need to answer... If your mom a single mother?

With social media accounts, are there people who your mom contact on there?

1|0
    0|0
  • If she looks like that she could, I look nineteen but I feel uncomfortable dressing for my looks and not my age, so I dress like your mom when I go out.

1|0
    1|0
    • Aha I didn't read your description, yeah it's weird because she's your mom. I think I dress casual but like a grown up. I have soccer mom style.

• I think she can! and it’s even lovely. I always ask my mom to wear like me & do the things I do. Also my mom is older than your mom. We’re so happy about this.

1|0
    0|0
  • You're as old as you feel so why worry about what other people think is normal?

2|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes