Whole Foods reveals its true character!

Must be good; right? It says "Mother Nature" right there on the label!

I have always been quite suspicious of Whole Foods. Their prices are astronomically high and their promotions for "healthy" products sounds like pure hucksterism. They just tell you what they think you want to hear and, if you are naive and have the money, you believe all of their claims and you buy their products. Please explain to me why you call a house brand of granola "Rain Forest Granola?" Is there anything in the granola that actually comes from the rain forest? Or do you just call it Rain Forest Granola because many people automatically associate the words "Rain Forest" with healthy products? Is Whole Foods concerned more with health or with simple marketing to the unquestioning masses?

Of course, I have never seen anyone reporting any evidence that people who shop at Whole Foods or similar stores actually live healthier lives. But . . . Whole Foods certainly knows how to make money.

Who do you think pays for all of this glass and steel?

Now, the shit has hit the Whole Fan. Whole Foods has been caught selling bottled water (from a geothermal source TWO MILES DEEP! It MUST be pure!) that contains abnormally high levels of arsenic.

According to Consumer Reports:

Natural foods grocery chain Whole Foods introduced its new brand of bottled water at a 2015 investor event, where company executives heralded the product’s purity and healthfulness.

“It naturally flows out of the ground,” chief operating officer A.C. Gallo said about the company’s spring in Council, Idaho, according to a published transcript on its website. “We built, actually, a spring house over it so we can let the water go down to the bottling plant. It’s amazingly pristine water.”

Yet from late 2016 to early 2017, Starkey Water—the name of Whole Foods’ brand—recalled more than 2,000 cases of water after tests by regulators showed an impermissible level of arsenic beyond the federally mandated threshold of 10 parts per billion. A year later, Whole Foods’ internal testing showed results that were just under the federal limit but still at levels that pose risks if regularly consumed, according to growing research and independent experts, including Consumer Reports’ scientists.

https://www.consumerreports.org/water-quality/arsenic-in-some-bottled-water-brands-at-unsafe-levels/

Asked to respond to the allegations, Starkey Water told Fox News

"At Starkey Water, our highest priority is to provide customers with safe, high-quality and refreshing spring water. Beyond the required annual testing by an FDA certified lab, we have an accredited third-party lab test every production run of water before it is sold, and our test results from the same lot analyzed by Consumer Reports show that these products are fully compliant with FDA standards for heavy metals. We would never sell products that do not meet FDA requirements.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/bottled-water-sold-at-whole-foods-target-found-with-high-levels-of-arsenic-study-says

Doesn't this sound like traditional corporate doublespeak irresponsibility?

Whole Foods reveals its true character!
13
12

Most Helpful Girls

• musicbrain5

Whole Foods is just astronomically overpriced overall, because they’re selling an image. I used to shop there quite often because they were the only store that carried products I could eat (food sensitivities that I won’t get into here). Once some “regular” stores started carrying what I wanted, I stopped going there. Maybe I’ll go once in a blue moon for something special, but that’s it.

So they kept this water on the shelves despite the recall? Just because something is within an acceptable limit doesn’t mean it’s safe to consume over the long term. Buyer beware. Try to gain knowledge about what you’re buying.

Why people buy bottled water in general is beyond me. It’s just companies (like Nestle, for example) that have taken something we need to survive and commoditized it for profit. And people fall for it like lemmings off a cliff. Unless your municipal water source or well is so contaminated with pollutants that it’s no longer potable, you have no need for bottled water. It’s just more plastic waste ending up in the ocean.

3 likes
  • DakotaNorth

Re: does granola come from the rainforest

You have to be amused by these gimmicks. I found frozen raspberries. The package said Europe's Best.
    In small print: Product of Chile.
    What's in a name?
    A lot less than you'd imagine.

2 likes

Most Helpful Guys

• Waffles731

As someone who worked on a farm and loved it.
    I can tell you right now that American Farmers love people who only buy organic, why you ask? Because we can charge an arm and a leg for it for no real reason.

3 likes
    • Waffles731

Its like the Fishermen pf Maine love Tourists who aren't in the Know.
      You get rich people or other people with more money than sense who buy Maine Lobster at exorbitant prices when its the same lobster you get in the rest of New England with the price jacked up.
      Of course I'm not going to complain, it puts more money in the pockets of good hard working, working class New Englanders

• Waffles731

There are also plenty of places in Maine to a reasonably priced lobster, but those fancy restaurants that Rich people love, total ripoff

• Its 95% marketing!

• agamo

Oh my Heavens you won't believe this but I actually worked as a dishwasher at the Whole Foods in the picture just this year! Let me tell you that job SUCKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

1 likes
    • I just picked the picture from a Google image search. It looks more upscale that our local Whole Foods.

• agamo

It's in downtown Seattle so it gets really busy. And I had to keep all the organic dishes separate from the regular dishes. Such a pain in the butt.

• I will take your word and not investigate on my own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

1110
  • Well they’ve done a great job of selling an image. I don’t shop there regularly and some of their product is just over priced garbage. But they do have a great selection of meats and seafood that I’ll occasionally hit up and they have a few prepared foods that I like and their bakery is good. But don’t often go there unless I’m looking for a few very specific things

3 likes
  • NightOwl8801

I think they're over priced and their ego is over inflated...
    I was in there for less than ten minutes looking around just out of curiosity to see what they sold , I walked back out thinking why do people buy this stuff

1 likes
    • It's the trendy place to shop. Why do people pay $5 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks? So they can walk around with a starbucks cup in their hand, impressing other like-minded souls.

• 👏👏👏
      Yes sir that's one way of putting it

• JimRSmith

Indeed it does sound just like corporate doublespeak irresponsibility.

And it will continue to happen, until consumers hit these corporations where it hurts, and they learn the maxim "Get woke, go broke".

3 likes
    • Waffles731

I figured you would know, Organic isn't corporate, its a way for Farmers to get more money from upper middle class and upper class people who don't have a clue

• SexyAshh

NOOO. Not whole foods!!! This is the only place i shop at🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

3 likes
    • There's trader Joe's girrl💅

• SexyAshh

I know but its honestly not as great in my opinion. Selections smaller and most brands are TJ:(

• True the selections are smaller

• Guanfei

I'll always love people saying "it's good for you, it's 100% natural"

Yeah, well, so are strychnine, ricin and cyanide. But you wouldn't want to eat that.

1 likes
    • And hemlock. I think Mr. Socrates would agree with your opinion.

• apple24

I been to the cheapist places and the high end whole foods. I went in there for the first time nannying. Its crazy expenisve and they have werid products with a niche. I wouldn't shop there even if I was mega rich. If I was mega rich I would live in the country side and plant vegs and fruits. Organic and made by me. But unfourntaely life does work that way.

2 likes
  • midnightmoon05

Thank you for sharing Mr. Olderandwiser.

Like everything else...
    buy what you need. If i need them to tell me why that water is better than others? i may need to re-exam my own judgement.
    the pomotions work because people actually buy into them.
    i often buy from farmers markets for basic needs, to support their hard labor. also they are fresh and it taste better.

1 likes
  • Whole Foods executives know there's a sucka born every minute so they sell a bag of apples for $6 and the idiot buys it.

1 likes
  • Can't trust supermarkets with anything beyond cleaning and hygienic products.
    The real stuff comes from the marketplaces, where people put up their produces on their stands and hang plastic boards as price tags.

1 likes
  • CubsterShura

This is one of the main things I'll struggle with if I ever move abroad. A lot of the food I get to eat here are fresh produce from the countryside or the vegetables that we grow by ourselves. And it's completely free.

1 likes
  • I ate there everyday for 5 months before I started worshiping God and I lost over 6 inches around my waist. Later I started school and ran out of money.

1 likes
  • Thatgal4426

If you ask me, nothing on the labels in stores are truthful. You're better off going fishing, catching your own fish, and eating it.

4 likes
  • lightbulb27

Water is questionable... marketing. Just cause comes from undergroind where they used to mine... and so pollution... doesn't mean is good. We have hex chromium in my municipal water. Regarding organic... organic watermelon tastes better! Sweeter. Bigger factor is the soil... and that they don't advertise. Ots marketimg. Use your nose and taste and hope for the best. Aldis is lowest quality for a lot of items. P. s. for meat... where is thst ground veef from. Laes permit mixing and dont know the source... scsry.

1 likes
  • monkeynutts

I have always been dubious about bottled waters full stop. It's gas stations that are the easy option to obtain them, and they often can cost $4 a bottle.

1 likes
  • Likes2drive

Yeah it’s just a gimmick most places do , they sell stuff for more money so you think you’re getting something better but usually not

1 likes
  • This is just as bad as being told Santa isn’t real...

• It get's WORSE! Have you heard this story about the tooth fairy not being real? :) :) :)

• ...

I’m not going to talk to you anymore.

• Once again, the sun sets with the messenger taking his last gasp, expiring as he pays the ultimate price for delivering the unwelcomed news!

Whole Foods reveals its true character!

• Username96

I think Whole Foods is a money trap for people. They do aim at customers to believe what they are buying is healthier. Even the chocolate bars appear healthier on the labels but are actually the same as a Hershey bar. I do shop at Whole Foods for specific things that I can’t get else where. But this place really does trip consumers more than other grocery stores. They’re extremely smart on how they do it lol all grocery stores have these lies on labels on a lot of their product but Whole Foods does go beyond the average grocery store when it comes to tricking consumers. But it’s also the consumers fault for not educating themselves on nutrition and food labels. They can’t get mad at how expensive their food is, it’s priced that way because it’s the same crap u can get anywhere but looks prettier and healthier. That’s why when I go there I only get the few items I need on the outskirts of the store and leave lol cuz the middle is a death trap for your money lol

1 likes
    • Username96

And the water thing is surprising because Whole Foods needs to keep their cred high to persuade everyone they’re healthier. I bet that did hurt them a bit. But millions are still gonna shop there. I’d rather go to local farmers and markets to get my groceries if I can. Support the local farmers and their fresh produce

• That's pretty disturbing. Hopefully there have been no cases of actual injuries.

1 likes
  • Secretgardenblood

Nice mytake

1 likes
  • Anonymous

Never been to a Whole Foods, but yikes.

• Anonymous

Seems like you just wanted to bash Whole Foods. Totally irrelevant event from two years ago. Has been fixed.

Whole Foods is the only store to sell natural toiletries to the masses, among other things. It’s one of the only stores I shop at, besides Target and the occasional visit to a Walmart or a Drug Store.

• The reports I cited are dated June 18, 2019 and June 22, 2019. Believe what you want to believe.