How Do You Feel About Women Wearing Thong Bikinis at the Beach?

This Take is an attempt to get to the bottom of whether there is a cultural divide on how people view the human body between the English-speaking world (the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the USA) on one hand, and Europe, Latin America etc on the other.

I'm making it specific to this, because toplessness, nude beaches etc are not mainstream, and show no signs of ever becoming mainstream, whereas thong bikinis arguably are, although are still controversial with some people, and in some places.

Leaving aside the basic fact that not everybody is comfortable with the idea of showing off, there seems to be a big culture divide within the western world on this issue.

On three occasions earlier this year, I was at beaches around the Mediterranean, when it was warm enough to swim, yet out of season. There were very few foreigners there, and these beaches were recommended by locals in the know.

How Do You Feel About Women Wearing Thong Bikinis at the Beach?Because it was mainly during the working week, the beachgoers were mainly female, and it was pleasing to see the amount of ladies, who had opted for thong bikinis.

There was a wide range of ages, from late teens to early 40s, and probably most, if not all of these ladies had children with them.

It struck me as quite culturally different to what you'd expect to see on a beach mainly frequented by English-speakers. As I mentioned earlier, virtually all of these ladies were local.

Do you think this is harmful to their kids, or something that we should also adopt, namely a more carefree attitude to the human body, particularly one that has had children? Do you think it would be liberating if our society wasn't so judgmental about this kind of thing?

And do you believe that this is something that only a woman with a certain type of mindset can wear, and if so, what is that mindset?

3856
JimRSmith is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really like the idea of going to a beach like that with my family.
    I don't think it's something that I would like to try and explain to my children.
    I'm a tad conscious more modest about my figure and it's something that I would not wear.
    You may like it because you're a bloke.
    Would you like it if it was your wife or teenage daughter and guys were staring at them?

• I think that's fair comment.

I wouldn't worry me if it was my wife, although your question about daughters is thought provoking. I'm a long way off that yet, so I'm going to cop out, and say we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. πŸ˜‚

Do you think your kids would actually notice and need an explanation, though? I'm fairly certain I didn't think in all that much depth about it when I was a kid, but that's all I'm basing my comment on?

• See if you can spot the ladyboys πŸ˜†

• Hahahaha, probably be easy enough on a beach, but the only locals there are the ones trying to sell you knock off sunglasses and cashew nuts...

Most Helpful Guy

• No I don't think its harmful to the kids. Not sure if carefree is the most apt word but in Western society I feel the female body has become objectified and hyper-sexualized to the "nth degree". I think possibly adopting a attitude with a more moderate, balanced mindset would be beneficial. Nudity and the female body is natural and beautiful but there is no need to view it in a sexualized context in every instance, "it is what is it".

Regarding mindset I think you need to be fairly confident with your body to wear that and have a mild exhibitionist streak.

• Thanks for actually answering the question, lol - quite a few haven't...

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 37

• In the USA/Australia/New Zealand etc people have trouble separating the body from sex because they only see a whole body during sex. Therefore, to see too much skin is not appropriate because their minds go straight to sex.
    This link is not as well established in some European countries so their minds do not jump straight to sex when they see a bit of flesh. Its not that public sexuality is more accepted. Its just that a nipple or a butt cheek does not = sex.

In my country we have a lot of day spas with pools, saunas, hot tubs etc. They are usually nude areas and men women and children are all together. Its actually very hard to find a day spa where clothes are allowed, they are certainly in the minority. I go to the spa regularly and have never seen a man get hard, even in a sauna full of naked 25 year old women. If you don't link it straight to sex its just a body.

Most of the time people look more sexy in a regular bikini than they do in the nude because of the illusion it creates.

• Depends on what country you are in and who you're with. Personally wouldn't wear thong bottoms with my family but I do around my friends (personally normal brief underwear looks terrible on my butt πŸ˜‚ I prefer Brazilian/thong so much better).
    I don't think it's harmful to kids at all that's nonsense. I think it's nice when people are comfortable with their bodies.

• I don't personally get the harmful to kids thing either. I'm almost wondering if that's something I'll change my mind on when I've got kids of my own, lol? So many people tend to mention it...

• Kids respond to what they hear others say. If thongs are just taken as normal, then kids don't pay any attention to the issue.

• @markscott And that is a very, very good point.

I entirely agree.

• Thongs and cheeky bottoms are becoming normal especially during spring break. I think they are really cute on girls with good butts. I think in ten years most girls will wear them on the beach as bottoms are getting smaller every year. Everyone has a butt so it isn't a big deal

• Thanks for your reply, Paige. I should have specified, I'm only really interested in getting answers from actual men and women, and not people who are pretending to be the opposite gender.

Cards on the table, Paige, as a fellow heterosexual man, I also think they are really cute on girls with good butts.

But pretending to be a girl to reinforce the point you are trying to make actually undermines it, particularly when you're so transparent.

It does take balls to do, I grant you. But then, you literally DO have balls, don't you?

• ooh shit exposed lmfaoo

• I wear a thong bikini to the public pool all the time, but I spend the whole time doing yoga in the steam room, which I guess is equally as "offensive" to people's eyes but I don't care. And I'm no bikini model lol, but nobody cares.
    Some people ignore me and some people talk to me. Some people even sit right behind me (at a creepily close distance to me when they have the option to sit anywhere else in the steam room) and I have to adjust my positioning so i don't do Downward Dog with my butt in their face. There were a few times where I purposely did that though lol.
    No one has ever commented on my appearance there, with the exception of an old man who was hitting on me and said I could be a bikini model (which isn't true) and an old woman who said my body looked strong, and both of those occasions just made my day lol. People stare, and maybe not in admiration lol but I don't care. I'm just focused on my routine.
    And as far as it being harmful to kids? There's just no way. At the pool I go to, mothers and their children get full on nude in the change rooms. As do I. I think it's nice. Women of all shapes and sizes feeling comfortable getting nude around each other, and their children feeling confident enough to do the same and being raised without body shaming and feeling like being nude is wrong. I personally love it, and although I've never been to any nude beaches I know I would love that too. I'm definitely not a prude but I just don't see what's so wrong about a woman wearing a thong in public. The first time I saw it was in Hawaii years ago, and there was this beautiful bigger curvy girl wearing one, and nobody else was, and I admired her confidence.

• We are taught to be ashamed of our bodies, which doesn't make a lot of sense. People should keep fit for their health but otherwise shouldn't feel compelled to hide their bodies. I can't think of any reason that seeing someone in a bikini would harm a kid.

• When I go to a beach on a hot day I want to be as cool as possible so of corse of gonna wear something with the least amount of cloth, and as someone who doesn't give two shits if someone sees my nipples or pussy (Cause everyone knows to some extent what you look like under your clothes) I don't see a problem with wearing stuff like it

• Thongs aren't for everyone. They particularly don't look good on girls with squared butts or heavy girls. Somehow, I find them fitting for girls with round butts (whether Kim K or Beyonce large or anyone small, as long as they're well-rounded) more than anyone else. I sometimes wear them on the beach if my companions also wear theirs. I don't find them comfy. The skinnier the thong, the more I feel like I'm getting "butt-flossed!"

• I wear thongs because I'm comfortable with my body (I'm from Australia). I believe that everyone should wear whatever they feel comfortable with. Also I don't believe that it is a bad thing wearing thongs around your kids because it is showing them that they can wear whatever they would like to and to be comfortable in their body

• Your wardrobe ought to be restricted to what looks good on your body. So... if you're the queen of squats and legs and abs are your favorite thing to do in the gym... by all means, show off your hard work.

• I should be restricted to what you feel comfortable wearing. After all if people don’t want to see it they don’t have to look, unless being judgmental helps with their self esteem.

• I do not see anything wrong with showing butt cheeks though I know it would be frowned upon here on the US beaches.

As for the mindset for who wears them - I think you wear them since you would prefer to have as little tan line as you can and if you are comfortable with showing your buttocks. lol!

• I live in a conservative country where one piece swimsuit is still common.

I think there must be a limit as to how much you expose. You are a guy so obviously, you'd like it if women expose themselves more and more..

I was raised in a conservative society so I believe that most of my naked body is only for my SO to see and not some strangers. I wouldn't like it if I wear such clothes and people check me out. It makes me uncomfortable.

Maybe I would want my kids to raise in same way. I mean, how would they feel if their Mom is being sexualized by random strangers? Personally, I would feel weird if it happens with my Mom.

As long as society is not comfortable with such kind of exposure, I don't think it's for the best.

• I think that's fair enough, and your last sentence sums it up well.

• unblock med too then

• I don't think it is a big deal or too harmful for the kids, but thongs don't look good on everyone. I personally don't like them, but who cares? They can wear those if they want to.

• Wear whatever you please. Just don't get butthurt if someone stares a little "too long".

I live in Alabama where most people here are still conservative, so wearing a thong would mostly NOT FLY.

• I don't think it's appropriate. You want to show your cheeks, go to a nude beach. It's not tasteful to be where other peoples husbands and children are showing your cheeks. & Some are rather unattractive to see haha

• what difference does it make is someone's husband is there? Men have their nipples out and it isn't inappropriate'

• They can do what they want I just think there unpractical. Thongs have a tendency to move if you move fast and it just seems super annoying to have to be constantly fixing it. And it isn't like you can be subtle about it.

• ok first of all BIKINI BOTTOMS ARE DESIGNED TO COVER THE ASS thongs do the opposite, they flaunt it. honestly im against people saying oh let them wear what they want. NO there is a certain thing callled being appropriate. Naturally the ass us a very sexualised part on humans, its instinct so stop flaunting it :)

• its way too extra in my opinion kinda selfish of those women to say it's "just an ass" and they can wear what they want... we all have that freedom until it's taken too far. I don't want to be at a beach with my family surrounded by the sight of bare asses with a teensy string in between their cheeks. Cherish your ass like a temple, save it for someone who wants to see it thnx

• Odd that the word β€˜selfish’ gets a run. Why is it that it’s selfish of them that they wear something you don’t like but not selfish of you to want them to not wear what they want because you don’t want to see it?

• I personally think it's somewhat on the slutty side to wear a thong bathing suit at a beach !!!

• It's all in what you want to project really. Slutty, sultry, conservative or ambitious.

• It doesn't matter to me at all. Women's' bodies are too sexualised so I'm all for it

• I'd just walk naked lOl.. that wedge in my ass won't feel good

• More from Girls
    17

What Guys Said 55

• Yes please.

• What's it like in places like Jurmala?

Like the places I'm talking about in the Med, or a less relaxed attitude towards this kind of thing?

• In Jurmala, it's pretty rare though it may depend on the beach. Every kilometre stretch of beach usually is different from the one a kilometre ahead or before.

• Got you, yeah.

That's the set up in lots and lots of other places, too.

• Even though a lot of women wouldn't be comfortable wearing a thong (let alone going topless or nude) I think any woman who is comfortable wearing one should feel free to do so. I agree that we're still too hung up over the human body, and there's nothing to fear about it. We all (of the same sex) have the same parts. And since little kids are natural nudists anyway, I don't think there's any concern there as long as people don't engage in inappropriate behavior at a beach.

• Agreed.

The inappropriate behaviour part is absolutely key, too. There was no catcalling, or any kind of harassment at all going on, in any of these places, contrary to the sometime stereotype of amorous Mediterranean men, lol.

• I will cast my lot with @Goodwifie. If I had a granddaughter, I would not want her being ogled at the beach or by the pool. Western culture simply could not accommodate this very well.

• I don't think hiding the human body from children is beneficial to them at all. I'd have no issue with thongs or cheeky bottoms on the beach when kids are around.

• I'm with you on this.

I think it only becomes an 'issue' when adults decide to make it into one.

• It's funny how if someone is seen to be naked where children are in our society, they're charged and labeled a sex offender whereas in many tribal communities, it's normal not to wear anything and children couldn't care less if someone is naked.

Who's society is really the best one in this scenario? The one where we've turned to human body into some overtly sexual thing and therefore cannot be shown to anyone in public or the one where the human body is seen as nothing to be afraid of.

• I think they should just start wearing whatever they want, guys and girls, something or nothing at all. Animals do it... our ancestors did it... so why do we need to be such prudes.

• Personally I prefer when women cover up more, leaves more to the imagination. I wouldn't like my wife or daughter or like to see my sister walking around in said attire. I don't think it's ALL about the male gaze as some may argue, although that is very significant, but it I think it shows the woman respects herself. You don't need to show everyone what you have, privacy is a precious thing.

The idea of it being damaging to kids holds some truth in my eyes because the moral compass will be set a certain way... If a kid grows up hearing swearing, seeing parents smoking they'll think it's normal, won't be traumatised as they know no better, but that isn't good for them. It's not seeing their mum half naked that is the problem with me, it's the fact it's public.

It's different to certain tribes/cultures where being naked or nearly naked is the norm (Amazon, Namibia) as men, women and children everyone dress like it all the time. What I tend to see in the West is: women skimpy, men more covered. From beachwear to nightwear. Most men I know would find it demeaning to dress like it but women seem to be encouraged to do so.

People have worn thongs to the beach for years in parts of Europe (and elsewhere), but people like the dysfunctional Kim Kardashian have popularised it and that can never be good. Without her I know a lot less women would be trying it and it loses respect in my eyes... but then a lot of guys will like it and women will fall prey to the popularity and illusion perpetuated and propagated by social media *clears throat* Instagram πŸ˜‚

I should have to earn the right to see a woman in a thong, not just casually see it when I go to a random beach. Like I said before, it isn't just about the male (including me) gaze, but it comes into it.
    Peace πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Š

• I don't like them. I have childhood horrors of them. Puberty started at 9 years old for me, and I lived in florida. Every time I went to the beach I got a boner and I had to hide it. I had nightmares about girls giving me boners when I didn't want them. I don't like bikinis at the beach. I don't go to the beach anymore because of them. I live in Iowa now. No beach for me.

• Society really needs to stop being so judgmental. You wanna flaunt your body, go for it (as long as you're not in a professional/courtroom/serious setting)!

• Also, there are plenty of men who can rock a thong as well (great examples: Gill and Urien from Street Fighter III).

• They are gorgeous. I Try not to look but it is difficult. If you have problem with that dont go to some beaches in france they are naked. Now they are difficult not to look...

• If people want to have shit smeared all over their underwear then whatever.
    I personally think it is ugly and disgusting.

I would also be interested in what people think about male briefs then.
    Because this is not just about women, since most men here wear small swimwear too as shorts are generally frowned upon.

• I let my wife choose my swimmers / underwear, it’s a mutual thing, and she prefers briefs / thongs / nothing on me. I’ve no issue with this and to be honest don’t give much thought to what others who aren’t my wife think about it.

• I think it's disgusting. Then again, I am a classy conservative guy.

• My gal's a classy conservative girl, who also sometimes wears thong bikinis.

Believe it or not, she also lives her life in timore Dei, too.

• I dont care though I would never want to see my mother, sister or daughter wearing one anymore I'm sure than they'd like to see me wearing one.

• I really don't care to be honest. I think that human beings in general just need to fucking chill about bodies. ESPECIALLY female bodies, since female bodies usually gather around the most controversey.

I honestly really wouldn't mind if people were allowed to go out in public naked. Even if they were a 500 pound acne prone slob, there'd no problem... just don't look at them. And most nudists carry around a towel with them anyways. So the unsanitary problem is dealt with anyways.

The only problem left is how prude we are.

• Totally normal to women. Showing their bodies is women's nature. Especially Western ones.

• Have you ever heard about "objectification of women" ? It's in your mother's, wife's, girlfriend's , daughter's nature to show off their bodies and you don't have problem with this... I don't have problem everyone is free to make whatever he/she wants but I don't like sexists!

• weird_guy this is good or bad?

• @Chloe08 He's deactivated or been banned yet again. Kind of a shame, in a way, as his latest user name was so apt...

• What is funny is these same women will run and hide not to to let you see them in their bra and panties but will wear that to the beach.

• I think it's cool that women are wearing thong bikinis. Women like that are bold and not afraid of anything

I do not like women who like to hide

• Thongs at the beach don't bother me at all. For that matter, I wouldn't care if people on the beach were naked.

• I see nothing wrong with it. Butt they can't get upset if people are checking out there butts.

• There is nothing more beautiful in the entire world than the female body. By all means it should be perfectly acceptable.

• I feel the urge to squeeze their butt cheeks with both of my hands.

• I hope you would not actually do that though.

• Well your girlfriend probably likes it when you walk in the room and whip out your penis but I wouldn't recommend that as a general rule for women you meet. Or else Harvey Weinstein would be a lot more popular right now.

• @zagor True. I agree with you. If I do it to strangers.. they will beat me black and blue..

• More from Guys
    35