Why Chasing Girls Has Caused My Depression

DISCLAIMER: You are about to enter my mind and what I think about (other than school and such) on a daily basis. I ask that you be open-minded and imagine as if you were me (if that makes sense). I am not saying that guys shouldn't chase girls, I'm just explaining my experience with it and how it has affected my life. This take is not to be a sole representation of all of those who are suffering from depression, this is just my side of things. Also, please note that the names are completely made up for privacy reasons. Please do feel free to leave comments below, but be warned as this myTake is going to be talking about my struggles chasing women and why it has lead me to negative thoughts about my self and caused me to question my very existence. Thank you.

I'm laying in bed in my pitch black room watching sad Simpson edits on YouTube. It's 11:08 PM and I just wonder why I'm on this planet in the first place. What's the point if no girl out there wants to be my girlfriend? Isn't the main reason we're here to find love? It made me remind myself of the times where girls said that I was too unattractive for them to date.

Yeah that guy in my class? Ew I'd never date him! I'd rather be buried alive!

I overheard these two girls in the hallway talking about "that guy" AKA me. Thanks for reminding me that I'm ugly, I almost forgot. Then, there was the time where I was basically a girl's only option to go to prom

Hell no! I wouldn't even take him as a friend!

The same girls who would repost guys asking their dates to prom and comment "Why can't I be pretty enough for a guy to ask me out like this!!!!!" were the same ones to turn down my invitation. Talking about something as little as a prom wouldn't be such a big deal if these girls weren't so nasty about it as to gossip with their friends about how ugly I am. I get it, I'm a genetic failure that will be naturally selected out of the gene pool after I pass on, no need to be extra.

As I continue to think deeper and deeper on how girls have broken my heart and my self-esteem in the past, it was as though the room got darker. My mind was becoming more overwhelmed with sadness as I was realizing how much of a failure I really am. My friends can date these same girls with ease, but I can't. I then start to think of more stories.

I'm not interested

I remember getting a vivid flashback from this one. I managed to get big enough balls to ask this girl who I've been friends with for a while out on a date. Her reply was "I'm really sorry, but I'm not interested." I respected her statement, after all, no one is forced to date me, but then about a week later she gets a new boyfriend. Oh I see, he's good looking and has big muscles, two things I can't achieve. Although she has every right to date that guy, my mind gets more depressed as I realize that I will never be able to achieve what the other guy has.

Eventually, my mind get's really low. If I were to disappear tomorrow, who would care? Surely not Sarah, or Sally, they probably want me gone. One less loner off the streets right? I knew thoughts like that weren't healthy, so I forced myself to snap out of it and go to bed, however I didn't get really sleep until an hour later. I kept thinking of those quotes that girls told me.

I wake up the next morning and get ready for class. As I ride the bus, I see couples holding hands as they walk down the pavement. My depression started to creep back again.That could be you if you weren't born so fucking ugly! I was having a decent day until that happened.

I went to class that day depressed. I just want to go back to my dorm and sleep. Class doesn't start for a few minutes so I decided to get on the explore page on Instagram. For whatever reason, there was multiple posts of "cute" things that guys did for their girlfriends.( I feel like Instagram needs to fix that by the way, I only looked at one "relationship" post and now they always pop up on my explore feed, just a side note.) I remember seeing one where the girl was mad at the guy about something and he apologized on a radio station. The comments talked about how cute that was and hoped that a guy did that to them one day. Yeah, an attractive guy, not someone like me, it would be consider harassment. I then check my Tinder. Maybe a girl wants to date me on here. Nope. I managed to get some matches, messaged them something witty, and no reply. I remember swiping right on probably 30 girls and only getting one match who wouldn't even bother to respond to my message. Well, girls on tinder don't want me, what's new?

I managed to get through the class and head back to my dorm. Who can I talk to about this? Whenever I've tried to talk to someone about it, they considered it whining and said that it's my fault that I'm in the position i'm in. They say that I'm ignoring all the girls who want to date me, but what girls? And is it my fault that I'm ugly and don't have the body of Zeus? I then get frustrated with myself that I'm not attracting women.

There is no "one" as people so often claim! I am going to die alone! No woman, who is of my age, on this earth will care one single bit if I were to disappear tomorrow! Not one! Not sarah, who would rather be buried alive than date me, not sally who wants a "bad boy", not a single girl! I knew that was I was saying wasn't the answer, but would they care? That's what I want to know and still don't know to this day.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the story of my life right now. I hope you have enjoyed this myTake.

2027

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, to be truthful you are whiny.

- a girl isn't interested in you who later get a boyfriend = it's because I'm ugly.
    - a girl doesn't accept your prom invitation = It's because I'm ugly.

I wouldn't say that girls gossiping behnd your back is acceptable, but everyone more or less goes through the same thing. I've never dated, and a lot of guys have friendzoned me. I know I'm still young but if it doesn't hapen, it doesn't. I'm not going to force it.

Another issue is that since highschool you chase after a relationship, please you are too young for that. Now what you should be focusing on is your dreams and yourself instead of a relationship.

• I’m not whiny I’m depressed. No girl wants to date me. We are on this earth to find love so what’s the purpose if you don’t?

• don't give up, i've been rejected for 40 years. the hell with them

• Don't take it personally. I'm 30 and never been on a real date.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you haven't realized this by now.

Okcupid, tinder and all the other BS dating apps and websites are A WASTE OF YOUR TIME.

There are hundreds of guys for each girl. Its pretty much a tool to boost female ego. Don't spend another second on it apart from DELETING your account.

Online dating is not worth it. Spend the same amount of time on developing yourself and seek satisfaction and contentment from learning new things, languages and exploring new places. Does it matter what some women say? Screw these chicks.

Also, delete Instagram. at least until your confident with yourself. You can't push yourself deeper into negativity by comparing your life with someone else.

Seek happiness by helping others. You do honestly come off as whiny. As a dude you can always get women. If not now, later. Get your mind, body and emotions stable and strong. Love yourself first and focus on YOUR life.

That's what I've learned through some miserable breakups. You are gonna be a self sustaining independent person. You do your thing that makes you happy. If a girl comes along, you share this happiness, if not their loss. Don't chase women, don't look at them and don't care about them. Right now your job is to care about yourself and nurse your mind back to normalcy.

Learn an instrument and get good at it, play for yourself and people you care about. Don't go down the self-pity path. Been there, it never helps.

• Also do yourself a favour and dont talk to these bitches if they said shit behind your back. Being friends with girls who reject you is okay however NOT with those women who disrespect you. If they ask for your help, refuse politely and walk away. Don't text them, dont call them. they dont deserve shit.

• Online dating is shit for men bro.

• @TheUglyMan Dating is shit in general. Starting to realize women are way over-rated. Sex is overrated too. You put in all that work, get super hyped up from talk of how amazing it is, and then you can barely feel anything. ... Not really worth it unless you get excited for different reasons, like maybe trying a girl from a different race, or different physique/body type.

I don't know man. Overall I’m just super skeptical, jaded and tired of playing games.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 19

• I sympathise, but life isn't solely about being attractive and appealing to the opposite sex. I felt similarly in late primary school and early high school, I was pretty much ignored by guys, my friends backhandedly called me unattractive and I'd kind of acknowledged I'd never have anyone interested in me. I remember being around 13 and my friend asking me when I might loose my virginity, I remember sincerely telling her probably around mid-20s, when one guy I'd know would be drunk enough and pity me enough to sleep with me. I have to admit I did do a little ugly duckling transformation between 14-15 but up until that point no guy wanted to be around me. What i'm trying to get at is that yes, I accepted myself as an ugly person, but I didn't let it get to me. I focused on school, friends, my interests and it was some of the most fun and fulfilling years of my life. This allowed me to be quite independent and mentally strong, I've never felt like I needed a relationship but rather it complemented my life. I'd suggest going to seek help to feel better about yourself.

• Tbh I do feel your pain while reading this because I'm sure back in my insecure days I was even worse to myself but I didn't need anybody else to tell me. I've been told even that I am in "society's standards" of pretty. But that didn't really help at all to be honest, and it even led me at one point to have an eating disorder, and get this I was already skinny and fit.
    The point I am trying to get at here (I know you are going to roll your eyes and say you've heard this a million times before, but hear me out) nobody what you look like, if you don't ACCEPT yourself for who you are, compliments and outer appearance changes will get you NOWHERE. You don't have to love/like yourself or what you look like, just accept yourself. Thats of course harder said then done, took me a whole eating disorder and almost killing myself from it to figure that out. I'm not going to get too much into that, but I'm sure you get the point.
    You stated in there that this girl picked another guy who was hotter/had more muscles and was fit, and that you could NEVER have that? What the fuck kind of excuse is that? Of course you could have that, I wasn't judging you at all until I heard you say that. I have seen people go through amazing transformations with themselves, don't ever say you couldn't be that person. To be honest I would advise you to maybe read into pick up type stuff because I have heard that to be very beneficial, if you look it up you'll know what I'm talking about.
    But besides that, looks aren't everything I'll tell you that. You need to stop with how hideous or ugly you are, because even if you aren't everyones type there is someone out there that likes what you have and thats fine. You don't need to be everyones type. But I would consider you put in more effort, with you saying that you will never be that guy that is muscular and fit, that obviously states that you aren't trying. Everyone starts somewhere, and yes I wouldn't be attracted to you because of your attitude. Not because of your looks or anything of that sort. You're giving up, and thats not really an option. You have to let these comments roll off your back and work on yourself, give yourself a goal, something to look forward to in bettering yourself. I promise it will help, with an attitude change you will see change in all aspects of your life. I can't make you do anything or change your mindset, you are going to have to do that for yourself. Best of luck to you, don't let people get you down.

• It's not your fault that people are shallow, not your fault that Sally or Sandy or Sarah said that she would rather be buried alive than be with you. But it is your fault that you let it affect you. You let that hurt you.

Honey, I have been bullied by my classmates since the beginning of my school life. Even girls ignore me. I have been depressed to the point that I cried in the school bathroom every single day and I cried again at night falling asleep on the same pillow that's soaked in my tears.

One time, a dude in class was taking selfies with all girls, except one. He literally walked past me, even saw me and said, "Ehh no I'm not gonna take a pic with you". I've had a boy in grade 4 tell me that he would be so happy if I left the school (coincidentally, I did change school that year and new school is just the same). Last year, a boy said in class loudly, that the entire school will be happy if I die.

Life got better since I stop feeling bad about myself and started to feel bad for THEM for being so stupid. Life got better when I stopped caring. I shouldn't bother about someone telling me anything hurtful if he is not gonna attend my funeral when I die. Life got better as in I have a small circle of amazing supportive friends and I am confident about myself.

It's hard, it is very hard, and it doesn't happen overnight. But please, they don't care about you and you have no reason to care about them either.

• This made it seem like the only thing you care in life is to have a girlfriend or having girls who see you as attractive, but that's not what you should be focusing on.

Before you search for someone you have to search for yourself. You have to find who you are in this world. What are your interests? what do you love to do? what do you want to do? where do you wanna go? Who do you wanna be friends with? Go meet people, go make connections, go in search of new adventures!

Falling in love is what happens when you are busy living you're life. A girl will not see you as attractive if you don't have anything to offer other than the desire you have to date them. Being attractive may be easier to find a girl who is interested, but imagine if you were considered attractive by a girl and she went to talk to you and you didn't have anything to offer? She probably would not be interested anymore. Well, we know there are some girls that only care about the outside, as there are guys too, but I'm not talking about them now.

Believe me when I tell you all this things I've been writing are to help you. When I focused on myself I found me, I found how I like to dress and stopped dressing like my older sister. I started to listen to what I love, seeing shows and movies I am pasionate about. When I started doing all that stuff guys suddenly guys approached me more. Guys trying to flirt with me, trying to get my number, getting me drinks. Seems weird but it happens now that I know who I am as a person. So as you can see I do have guys interested in me, but I still deal with depression in my life. Your depression is probably not going away if you find someone, you shouldn't waigt that to happen. You should find help and try to do all these things I said because I believe it will help you.

And I wish you the best of luck, I know you can do it, you just need a little push.

• Honestly, as much as people say you shouldn't focus on relationships and be happy single and focus on your hobby, that's hard to do.

Im in the same age range, single and have never been in a relationship. Ofc we think about relationships so much when it's shoved in our face all the time. Those nights alone add up eventually, even if you're doing something you enjoy in the day time.

So my advice is: Firstly, try to see a therapist about your depression, honestly thats what I'm going to do. Make sure you're emotionally and mentally stable and healthy.

Secondly, in these attractive men you see, note what you think makes them attractive or what you think looks good on them and try them yourself. I know it's not easy because unlike girls who can change their makeup and get extensions and wigs, it's harder for guys.

But if you think muscles get girls go to the gym, change your hair up, wear clothes that fit and look good and find your style.

Third: watch videos on Youtube about being a man, acting like a gentleman, attracting women, being masculine.

Fourth: gain a hobby or many. An interesting person attracts people.

Of course, don't change who you are to fit into some mold of the "perfect man", simply improve on yourself while keeping true to your values. While you're working on yourself time will pass and your girl will come.

I find myself attracted to men with hobbies, goals, interests, masculine persona without coming off as cocky or an asshole.

Honestly, these things worked for me, I get way more attention from guys now, while in high school I got almost 0.

I know it might seem easier for girls (it isn't always), I know you might want to blame every girl or give up completely.. But ask yourself who YOU want to be for your future woman and match it. Take a break from asking girls out and focus on you for a while.

Hope this helps!

• Movies make us believe that love is all we need. But get another form of love. Go love your family. All you need is air and food and to take a shit actually

• Disattaching from our outcomes is freeing. I do feel like you will eventually meet someone, highschool is a bad dictation of what your future dating life will be, trust me Im old enough to know. I see a lot of people on this thread saying you need a therapist... you dont necessarily need a therapist.. A lot of them suck. Also, old enough to know that. Coping skills are developed through these life experiences. sometimes life really sucks and we are lonely, and different, and invisible. And then sometimes, life if amazing... if your going through hell now, the sun is definitely going to shine. you just don't know when. Also look up images for #chickensoupforthecynicalsoul, that should help too. Some handwritten wisdom there.

• You need to go to a therapist. Like you're legit depressed.

• I'm sorry you feel this way. Hope things get better.

• I've had guys ask me out but I turned them down. Because I actually like girls. And I've been teribbly hurt by them. Two of them were my best friends. I didn't want anything from them. I was just so glad to have someone I can talk to and maybe cuddle upwith. And they didn't mind.. And when I eventually tell em I like girls I think their entire life flashes before them XD. Welp and then they start ignoring me. And I'm not sure why,. because I made it clear I don't want anything from them. And then they abandon me for no reason. And I think it's just because I am me, and what I got to offer them as a friend is not worth being associated with me. And now I'm afraid of making female friends. And my life feels empty.

• That’s me. But with a female version 😞

• I'm sorry

• I understand.

• I have known overlooked people who met and had the sweetest relationships. Your gal is out there longing for you like you are her.

• You need to see a therapist

• You place just too much value in the outcome. Have fun with it

• That's why you shouldn't chase people.

• I have never chased a girl and I consider myself too old now to do so. I've seen and heard of too many stories like this one which I consider cautionary tales. The way I see it, the time and effort would be better spent developing myself and buying a coffin and saving money for my funeral.

• Of course as a guy you "blame" girls, because you don't know what it's like to be a girl. Not so hot girls feel the same way. The only difference is that even not so hot guys don't want them. Were Sally and Sarah really the kind of girls other guys don't want?

• You sound really sad that you can't find a relationship.
    Try to just be in love with a hobby or a career or something like doing good for society. Once you are in love with that, maybe you will find a girl who is also in love with that.
    Some times, you never know who will come to your life and fall in love with you. Just have to be hopeful. When one door closes, remember that another one will eventually open. Maybe not right away, but maybe in a few months or years.
    While you're at it, maybe you should work at your social skills a little more. Try reading some self help books:
    1. 7 habits of highly effective people
    2. How to win friends and influence people
    3. the road to character
    4. nonviolent communication
    5. boundaries

Start with those and then once you are building up social skills, you can practice them on family and friends. When you sound confident about yourself enough to be cool around family and friends, they will give you great self esteem boosts by thanking you for being their cool friend. This will help you with girls, because girls like confidence. I hope this advice helps you. good luck

• >eventually open

I think that's the point behind this. Such a door is never granted and decades can actually go, no matter which changes one goes through. We can pretend getting satisfaction from some other, maybe more controllable aspect of life (career), yet that's no guarantee for anything. "Well, you've nothing to lose by having hope" doesn't really makes hope come out of the blue.

• @HopelessPaul i like your name, it matches what you just wrote. Try reading, you are a badass and change your mind on hope and positive energy.

• I'm neither being negative nor positive, nor I'm claiming to know better on things most of us adults can do by ourselves.

I think the most healthy way to grow optimism must come with sincerity. Being able to recognize that even if you do "the right things", that's no grant for anything, yet you try from there. That's some more genuine hope the OP himself will decide to grow and be responsible for, on his own, other than adapting forced feelings from others, so when things go south he won't be able to take responsibility for it.

What Guys Said 26

• The actions and opinions of a few people including those girls do not and would never define you. It is your thoughts and actions that define you. If you think you're ugly you are correct, and if you think you're attractive you're equally correct.

If you think physical looks are the sole ingredient of attraction, then you probably do not live in planet earth. There are 4 main explanation of attraction:

Social Homogamy theory: people are attracted to people who are physically, socially and psychologically like them.

Opposites attract theory: people date people with resources, qualities, or traits that they do not have.

Propinquity theory: You're attracted to someone who's geographically and socially accessible. You only need to be a friend of Joe who is also a friend of Melinda for her to find you attractive. You only need to be the friend of the coolest guy or girl for people to be attracted to you.

Availability theory: Some people are attracted to others who are physically and emotionally available.

Step away from the dating scene for a while to work on your self-development. I think you need to work on your thinking and physical appearance.

1. Get into a fitness programme (if you're not into it), start working out either at home or gym.

2. Fix your nutrition.

3. Revise or update your fashion style.

4. Reduce or refrain from masturbation.

5. Get into a new hobby.

Do these 5 things consistently you would be amazed by their effects on your appearance, confidence, standards and women. Guaranteed!

• TLDR. Don't blame, look within. Develop your skills, your game, your attraction as a MAN. Hit the gym, HARD, and make LOTS of money - you'll have all the pussy you can handle.
    And never forget, YOU ARE THE PRIZE. So start acting like it.

Go here and read: www.therationalmale.com

Women have to be conquered - you're giving up all your power as a man over to them - NEVER EVER do that.

• Yes! Yes!

• Ehh, some people don’t like to live like this. I assume the OP doesn’t either, though maybe. Rather I just assume they guy is a part of the ‘upsidedown’ as I like to call it, inspired by stranger things. A part of Geek culture, if you will. Naturally different from mainstream people and values, he was never fitting in.

I’m the same way. I’m 24 now, born early in 93’ and grew up loving Pokémon, Yugioh, Xbox, Gameboy and Anime — as a little kid without any indoctrination from family. I just liked the cartoons and toys on sale in that era of history naturally. But what did the kids at middle school call me? A geek.

As a thought experiment imagine the tables were turned. Imagine geek culture was the mainstream and all the standard shit was wired and creepy. Then all the ‘normal’ hip-hop loving, fashion conscious people would be the ‘dweebs.’ Then what? Would a five for them, and you, say, be to turn into a deeeb to get women? Likely not. Bad advice.

• The key is to realize that leaders don’t follow rules, they just force everyone else to whatever’s natural for them. Therefore, if one is born a geek, the best thing they am do is force other people to subscribe to geek culture and amas a following. Eventually it will be non-geeks who are the weird outcasts — hypothetically. Because we all know the ‘cool’ trends of today are not the same as the ‘cool’ trends of the past. As it will be in the future.

Natural preferences are just that. Those who’s natural preferences match what’s cool today are just lucky. Nothing more.

• It does give your age, maybe it's because you're anon? But here's a little wisdom for you and believe me it's right down to the exact science. OK, you know the old ladies first, right? That's important for you to remember and I'm about to explain why. Right now those girls you're referring to? They're more than likely somewhere in their teens or early 20's, am I correct? Now here's what important to remember. Those girl are going first (keep that in mind). What I mean is right now they have all the choices and yours practically doesn't exist, right? Things are going to chance dramatically for you, you just have to wait it out. Let me explain. Those girls as you mentioned are also taking a hit cause their Romeo's aren't asking them out. And they have all these other pesky guys they have to weed through in order to see which one they can tolerate. AND, those girls are probably 2's looking for 10's, their fairy tale prince charming that doesn't exist for 2's. Now here's the charmer for you. The day is coming when as they say in MGTOW they're going to hit the wall and almost ZERO guys are going to notice them. When that time comes BELIEVE me, you are going to look back and thank God you didn't end up with those girls you're talking about and believe that it's very true. That's right their choices are going bye bye. And the interesting thing is that's when YOUR doors are going to start swinging open. Trust me on this, those same beauties you're looking at now? They're going to be old fat and ugly by then and your choices are going to be through the roof. Those same girls that become rejects? They are going to want you then trust me. And when that happens you can let them know that it's not them you're interested in anymore, bout you are interested in their daughters.

• I think most people run into rejection at some point. But I am curious, do you go after girls that are out of your league? Because that is an uphill battle, and you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

You keep saying you are ugly, so do you ask out any girls that are in your calibre? I'm sure they are lonely too. Give it a try and enjoy companionship.

• Try asking out women who aren't scumbags. I have Aspergers but even I can get dates..

Sometimes xD

And by the way I hope those bitches who talk about you like that get hit by car.

• This whole trend of dating chads used to be reserved for whores, at least in civilized times. Make a shitload of money and girls will chase you, then you can pick the good ones instead of the other way around

• dude..

There are only a small number of "Player characters" on Earth simulation, most people are dumb ass NPC's so just start treating life like an MMORPG and you'll be fine.

• We aren't here to find love. You decide what your life purpose is. Do what makes you happy and that is your purpose, and fuck what anyone else thinks about it.

• this is a good example of the fact that a lot of guys emotional issues would get straightened out naturally if they just started getting laid more often

• "Isn't the main reason we're here to find love?" No, sadly the truth of the matter is that we aren´t here for a good reason. i want to help you, so you will have to be strong. I will reveal the truth for you anyways, i ask you to be strong and instead of surrendering you must fight to become super, even if you cannot achieve it in the long run. The truth is that this planet was turned into a Truman show, a concentration camp, it is ruled by a hidden occultist elite and at the top there are parasitic aliens, so you are here to suffer for these aliens to feed off you, that is the sad truth. But what you can do to not give them what they want is don´t care, don´t look around, don´t buy the ilusions of this Truman show, rather focus upon you, focus on being stronger, practice tummo meditation of inner fire daily (search for it on google) at least for 40 minutes a day, try to develop your inner energy, become strong.

• You can’t base your happiness on women u’ll never win, women and sex should be a compliment to your life not the focus of it

• Yeah man. I feel you. Best of luck, you're a decent writer.

• Oh wow... interesting. I'm not the only guy not feeling this way then

• Instead of focusing on a high paying career you were chasing girls? Sad.

• Dude, I get that you’re depressed, but that’s what’s stopping you from getting a girlfriend. Women want to be with confident men who can deal with a lot of hardship, they don’t want someone who is bitter about women. Now I’m not saying that your depression is unjustified; I’ve been depressed before as well (not about women but about other things) and the only way to get out of it is to really face your fears until you succeed-in your case, keep asking out every girl you find attractive until you get a “yes”. If you keep trying that will boost your confidence, because it’ll feel better than wallowing in your pain alone.

• You mean your undesirability to women has caused your depression. Am I right?

• I remember those days, depression and low self-esteem sucks, but its just a phase. Girls come and go, your life has more purpose than just to find a mate. Its hard but you have to see past that, having a girlfriend means nothing. It doesn't change who you are or how you'll feel in the long term. Those negative thoughts are distracting I know, but they also prevent you from living life to the fullest, so I'd say do what you can to ignore them and go out and live life. You'll never be a senior in high school again, so try to enjoy it. Be nice to people and have an accepting heart. Be as involved as you can. Don't try to act nice so others accept you, you don't need to worry about what they think. Think less of yourself and more of others. Put your self in their shoes, try to bring out the best in other people. Be who you are and try live the best version of yourself. Let people know what you think, and make connections.

Good luck

• I enjoyed reading this myTake

• Just go mgtow already lol

• Yeah it caused my depression too

• More from Guys
    6