Less opinions on more questions, privacy and notifications

DiogoRibeiro

For the past few weeks, we have been working on several new features here at GirlsAskGuys for both our upcoming mobile app and the website.

Then, two weeks ago, I asked everyone what should we focus on improving first or the most and the results were amazing! I got over 100 opinions, countless replies and 735 poll votes.

It's in response to that wonderful feedback that we introduced and updated some features today:

When less is more

The most voted option on that poll question was "Content". And this new feature is all about making content on GirlsAskGuys more useful for a lot more people.

Starting today, all questions will be closed when you select at least one Most Helpful Opinion (you'll be able to select the second one later) or when they are inactive for 48 hours (no new opinions, replies or poll votes).

This will allow us and the community to focus on the open questions that still need attention and those helpful answers you generously provide. Closed Questions can't receive new opinions or poll votes, but you'll still be able to like or reply to an opinion.

To guarantee that we'll have opinions on every question, we also decided to change how the limits of asking questions work. Now you will have a limit of open questions according to your XPER level. Once you reach that limit, you'll need to close a question selecting MHO or wait until we close it for you.

Talk (just) to me

Another popular demand was for us to make GirlsAskGuys safer and more pleasant to use and we took it very seriously. This is the first of several features aimed at doing that.

On top of being able to ask a question or share an opinion anonymously, you'll be able to do it privately. Only the Asker and the Opinion owner can see Private Opinions.

Askers can check a box to receive all opinions privately on their questions, but regardless of that, Opinion owners can choose to share an opinion privately on any question.

We strongly believe private conversations within a context can be a powerful tool for the GirlsAskGuys community.

Goodbye, ghosts... hello, people!

Last but not least, our notifications got an update that was long overdue.

First of all, we've added some new ones that you'll also see on our mobile app soon. The existing ones were updated with new images and text to make sure the messages are about people and the actions they take on GirlsAskGuys.

Since we have a reasonable amount of notifications now, we're also giving you tools to manage what you want to be notified about. Just hit the Settings page on your Profile to turn all notifications on or off individually.

Finally, the Notifications section on the Profile got a lot more useful with the simple addition of a "Mark all as read" button that should end once and for all the dreaded ghost notifications issue that drove some people crazy.

We know this is a big change, so feel free to get in touch with me or any other Admin if you have questions.

One more thing...

You've convinced us. It's coming back soon.

47
54

Most Helpful Girl

• lumos
    Questions closing is dumb. You can boost newer questions without having to close down "older" questions (48 hours is not old). It's a bad solution because every question deserves to get as many answers as possible, even if those answers are a few days "late". If anything, this goes against what you're trying to do. There are other ways to change how much attention newer questions get. Change the livefeed, highlight the newest question, whatever. Silencing questions that you deem passé is honestly frustrating.
    And don't even get me started on the private opinion thing. People will just abuse it to harass askers. How are us mods supposed to be able to do our job when we can't even see the content on here? We said make the content BETTER, not HIDE ALL OF THE CONTENT!!!1! If you really want to implement this totally AWFUL feature, then you should at the very least make all private opinions visible to mods, so that we get to remove all the creeps and harassers as usual. But then again... that kind of defeats the entire point of the feature? Which just proves how dumb it is. I can't believe this, really. You noticed that site safety was something A LOT of people wanted to see improvements on yet you think THIS is a good feature to implement? Wow. Lol. Ok then.
    Is this still revelant?
    • "People will just abuse it to harass askers. How are us mods supposed to be able to do our job when we can't even see the content on here?"

This ^^
      Though I pretty much agree to everything you said.

Most Helpful Guy

• AleDeEurope
    I like the new update... but not the private option. It takes away from the interaction between people. I think if people want to share an opinion they should have to share it to all of us, not just the asker, cause that's what this site is about. If most people start responding privately, this is gonna be dead.
    Plus, it's a way for racists, sexists, and overall antagonistic people, to get away with their stuff, cause no one will be able to call them off on that.

I think that will create more division between the people of GAG...
    Is this still revelant?
    • Yumix

I have to agree with this

• good point

• Wow, another great point about the private opinions in addition to what @RainbowFanGirl said.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

4653
  • dangerDoge
    Firstly, I like the attempt at updating. No matter how many people hate on it all, I am happy there are people behind the scenes that are thinking up ways to make it better.

1.) The closed question.
    I like the *idea* of closing/archiving a question. This not only rids GAG of the overloaded no opinion section, but also stops people from writing an opinion on a year old post that is completely irrelevant now. HOWEVER, with this closed question update, I would argue that the timing is a bit too short for it. Personally, I would say 7 days at the very least, but ideally a month before closing a question. The reasoning is because stuff stays relevant after 48 hours. After a month or so, many things change or lose meaning. I feel like closing a question after a month (regardless of activity on it) makes more sense.
    In my ideal little universe I'd make it...
    -- close it after a month regardless of what happens on the question
    -- if both MHOs are selected by asker, close it within 48 hours
    -- perhaps a special exception if you get no opinions on your question at all. Maybe 15 days before the question poofs... That way you can ask it again and it isn't a duplicate.

2.) The private opinion
    I actually like it. It stops people from feeling social pressure to conform to what everyone else is writing. The real question is however-- can it be abused? I'm thinking that a dude (or dudet) may post a pervy question. Someone naive answers it. Mods can't see opinions so the guy is basically free to do/say what he wants to the naive girl.
    I mean, I've seen an under 18 girl give out her facebook info (and almost number) to a random anon pervy dude before some people commented on her opinion and talked some sense into her. If no one talked to her about it, she would've gone through with it.

3.) Notification bar.
    Font is cool. Maybe make it so more can be read? I don't know. In other news, it appears the highlight of a new notification was removed? That makes it a bit hard to figure out where a new notification ends and old one from the past begins. I like to answer my notifications in specific orders so I can respond to them correctly, so that part is a bit annoying.
    • dangerDoge

On a side note, there is a glaring flaw in the closed question update. All of the no opinion ones are still there from greater than 48 hours ago.
      They've been damned to the no opinion section for all eternity haha

• Exactly my point with the private opinions. It allows people to abuse it, and this us moderators will not be able to do anything about it. I hate that kt tells me that there is a private opinion when I can't see what it says, and thus it shows how pointless it is.

• JuicyBrain

Why mess around with the time when questions should be closed? Just let the askers decide when they are done with a question.

• mooky06
    OHMMGEEEE Diogo!
    Closed questions- why just why just whyyyy? :'( I liked allowing Gag users to comment on my question, whenever they were able to come across it. I guess closing the question down does allow for more "other" questions to get answers, but the sites purpose is to get as much advice as you can on a question, and select MHO. Doesn't having a closing down feature, kind of goes against that?

Privacy on a question between asker and opinion owner- That feature maybe interesting. I do not know how that will go, but only one way to find out

Mobile app/controlling notifications from settings tab- A mobile app is something Gagers have talked about wanting (a lot of times). I do not know why that hasn't been done yet. Turning a notification on and off is alright, i suppose.

Where is the downvote button? I'm glad that feature is... sloowwllllyyyyyyyy.. coming back "soon". How soon? unsure?

I think sticking with what people have made questions and comments about (feature wise) is the right way to go on improving Gag. A lot of these changes is something i will have to adapt to.. but i'm definitely not liking my questions being closed down..
  • juicyjessie
    For all these comments, and the fact that GAG says it listens, I don't think ANYTHING will be put right. This site is now AWFUL!
  • fauchelevent
    Ehh, this could potentially be really good but right now is just kinda irritating. The number of different notifications you can get seems to have increased and the notifications tab looks a lot more cluttered now than before.

The private option could be good in that people may now be more willing to give kinda... Unpopular opinions because they won't get the backlash of it but it takes away the social aspect of the site, I think.

The way questions are being closed also seems pretty pointless. I mean, I just don't see any benefit of it but I can see a lot of issues with it and from what I can see, most people aren't too happy about that or the way they're limited by their XPER level.
    • Ah, I thought of something that might help make the site run a little more effectively. The new reported page for mods is really awesome at helping to find things that should be removed and it's good to get the feedback from users, but I thought maybe updating that a little bit to show the reason why the posts were reported in the first place would be helpful?

I mean, right now we can see how many people reported it and it'd be useful to see what they reported it for. I think it'd help mods a bit, especially in terms of removing 'offensive' posts because everyone finds different things offensive. Like a girl may not necessarily see a comment as offensive but guys will and a female mod wouldn't remove it. If it got reported say three times by different users all for being offensive, it'd help the mod put aside their own ideas of what is and isn't offensive and follow what the community is indicating.

This probably doesn't make sense, I just thought it might be a useful idea.

• musicbrain5
    I do like the "closed question" feature, HOWEVER, the question asker should be the one who decides whether or not they want to close the question. If that's feasible, great. Sometimes it takes a while to get a satisfactory answer and I want to be the one who decides when I'm done with the Q.

I'm not too sure about the private opinions thing either, but just the option to make all opinions private so that only the asker can see them. I and many others here often read questions that are similar to ours, just to see the answers. I do that so that I don't have to ask a Q that's been asked a thousand times before.
  • CHARismatic110
    Never wanted the stupid downvote button back. These changes are ridiculous. In what world does closing questions on a question/answer site make sense? I've gotten some of my best answers on questions a week, sometimes 2 weeks later. All I see scrolling down my feed is a bunch of closed questions. And the private opinion thing doesn't make sense either. That's why the Anon feature is for. I never bitch and complain about updates on here but this time, you've gone too far GaG. I was straddling the fence on taking an extended break from this place. You've made me want to deactivate all together. Good job.
  • confusedgirl239
    Closing questions is dumb. Truly all of these pointless notifications is going to make me leave the site. I don't want to see anything other than notifications about me. Until this goes back to what it was, I'm not using this site any more.
    • Also, just to update my comment. I log on daily to see if I have a normal 2-3 notifications rather than the 37 useless ones that I still have. No luck yet. I really won't be using this site until the undue notifications are removed, or I am able to customize to only see the notifications that I want to see. Until then, I just don't have the time to sift through them all.

• You can customise the notifications you want to see. Just go to the Settings page under your Profile and check or uncheck the boxes to turn them on or off. ;)

• justbanANNAz
    ... look i appreciate all the hard work u guys put in, but i feel like the things that we want MOST aren't being addressed, and the ones that we don't need, are being brought in or changed.

lets say we roll with the closed questions thing. at least extend the time for EVERYONE. 48 hours of inactivity is simply not enough. many people here, especially on the lower levels, will not be getting much activity on gag, so closing off a question after 2 days doesn't seem right. give it a week and ill be on board. i don't know about the rest of u, but i don't mind getting an opinion on a question a month later at all. i actually like it.

the private opinions idea is interesting. i kinda like it, and i look forward to testing it out.

downvotes... eh, I've always been indifferent.

i still want to place my suggestions of things id like to see:
    - a group chat feature, or live chat at least. that will remain at the top of my list.
    - allow a question asker to edit their question or mytake once, if they need to after submission.
    - allow a max of 3 drafts for a question or mytake rather than just one.
    - notify us who unfollows us.
    - a more fun profile page would be nice.
    - add a food and beverage topic
    - i'd like to block some anons permanently, not just on one post.

yeah, I think it's great to try out new things, but it'd b nice to see these other ones around as well.
    • Yes I agree with you!!!

• ChocoLada

Yeah, I agree with justbanANNAz :)

• Live chat live chat live chat!!! I would love that option so mucho <3

• BellePepper
    This is so stupid. WHY do you all keep taking the worst ideas and implementing them? WHHHHHY?
    media.giphy.com/media/SEp6Zq6ZkzUNW/giphy.gif
    PRIVATE OPINIONS. WHAT WERE YOU ALL THINKING?

This is a LIABILITY issue if nothing less! How many dirty old men will make sexual comments to teen girls in the HDIL topic and noooooooone of them will get removed? You have made this site more accessible to PREDATORS.

Do you know what female users complain about most on this website? PRIVATE MESSAGES. And now you gave people ANOTHER way to leave disgusting messages and harass people!

HOW COULD YOU NOT SEE THIS? **WHO** CAME UP WITH THIS? Please feel free to contact me so I know who to forward all the inappropriate messages I see and hear about to. media.giphy.com/media/4zFx69mkI2Qx2/giphy.gif

You have moderators on this website so USE them.

No one asked for closed questions or polls. NO ONE. If you want more comments on questions why don't you get rid of the "live feed" or change the algorithm so that questions that are more than x days/months old aren't shown?

Wow. So the downvote button was supposed to be back with this update, but it's NOT. Just like being able to follow specific questions is not back. Maybe it you all stopped wasting time with creating new ways for people to be harassed and trolled you would have time to work on these features.
    • Oh! And let's take a look at my awesome new notifications tab! OH WAIT. IT'S USELESS.
      https://oi65.tinypic.com/sfh4lc.jpg

Just like the options!
      https://oi67.tinypic.com/2zjkxtu.jpg

My notifications tab is NOT the live feed!

• More notifications than Facebook! And +10000000000 for your opinion on the private answers. Never thought of that either.

• @musicbrain5 Oh my gosh have you seen the girls who will be like "hey guys what do you think of my ass?" And then basically sext with any of the guys they can? Yeah this will def go well. A++ GaG ;D

• hazoplmeught
    NO DISLIKE BUTTON, NO OPINIONS AFTER MHO! STUPID UPDATE! PEOPLE CHOSE THAT "CONTENT" NOT FOR HOW MUCH, BUT BC WE DIDN'T WANT THE OTHER CHOICES! i HATE IT
    • Exactly and I thought they were doing something good. 😩 This is dumb where is the downvote? That's the only thing I wanted! Everything else what cool!

• The downvote is coming back, guys. Don't worry. ;)

• @RainbowFanGirl it is so dumb, but i agree with private opinions a little, but that is what messages were for right? #bringbackthedownvote

• vonasaurus
    i appreciate what you guys are trying to do, but i don't understand the logic behind some of these implementations.

1) hate the notification change; it clutters up my feed.

2) mho is about to become nonexistent~ why give one, if the question will just be closed?

3) the private opinions feature is a noble intention, but too open to abuse and exposes young people on this site to predatory behaviour.

/my 2 cents, for what they are worth.

-von
  • YourFutureEx
    Anyone noticed that we don't need filler to post photo replies anymore?

"When less is more"
    Personally, I get the best opinions days after I post my question. I have some stalkers. They know me so well and post the best opinions.

Increase it to 5-7 days. And highlight "questions with no opinions" more to solve the problem.

I liked that question cap. Now users cannot annoy us asking perpetual how do I look and repetitive questions.

"Talk (just) to me"
    Good. Just let UberMods to see the content and increase their monthly quota.

"Goodbye, ghosts... hello, people!"
    New notification system is annoying. Yeah we'd manage it in settings, but I don't think many users will use your update in which you put a lot of hard work.

Plus, this won't clear the "ghost notification", this will clear that "@mention notification" which is genuine but just isn't visible. So, I don't recommend to use it to get rid of that. You may lose an important reply (@mention).
    _________________________

I think you should make a team of users or real life experts to beta test new features before implementation, because it is not good to "test" new things to all of the community. It just annoys them. Some of them are considering leaving. So please take care.

PS: I loved the way you ended your myTake. It's not because I'm a fan of downvotes or something, but the way you represented your scheme in just two short lines was marvellous.
    • Thanks a lot, man.

We're gathering a lot of feedback to start tweaking these new features.

And we'll definitely have a Beta Tester program real soon. ;)

• The pleasure is all mine :)

• Yumix
    I don't like the following at all:

"Starting today, all questions will be closed when you select at least one Most Helpful Opinion (you'll be able to select the second one later) or when they are inactive for 48 hours (no new opinions, replies or poll votes).
    To guarantee that we'll have opinions on every question, we also decided to change how the limits of asking questions work. Now you will have a limit of open questions according to your XPER level. Once you reach that limit, you'll need to close a question selecting MHO or wait until we close it for you."

Questions will be even more repetitive with that. This will increase the activity/clicks on the site a lot without making it more useful for the users. Seems more like a way to increase the downgoing activity/clicks...
    • Yumix

also, I think if you do it like this the inactivity should be longer than 48 hours and question updates should reset that counter too or remove the inactivity

• Yumix

I had the last 2 days no time because of exams and now I can't answer anymore on many questions of my friends and other people I follow -_-

make that thing a week or so if you really need it... but 48 hours is ridiculously short. not everyone is a 24h/7 GAG junkie

• Chief16
    First of all nice job with the interface, its become zippier as someone who use G@G on the phone, I appreciate it. But come on...
    1) Closed Questions,
    Ok so we select MHO, what's to say that someone else might have had an entirely better opinion? Closing questions within 48 hours or selecting One MHO seems so pointless.
    2) Private Opinions,
    Why? I mean seriously Why? Have you seen the rise and rise on trollers here? Or even worse some people who can do actual harm? Isn't PM already there? What I agree with is that sometimes this can be genuine from what I've noticed, nope, Open Opinions are the way to go.
    3) Downvotes... I don't really care now. But you should've never removed it in the first place.
    4) Answers displayed according to Xper levels, much appreciated.
    Now can we address the real issues?
    1) I didn't see a Featured Friday this week. Not even a notification about that.
    2) Please find us a way to blacklist those users who spam here, delete their accounts, make new ones, repeat cycle. They're becoming a menace.
    3) CONTENT, It didn't just have to an improvement on the interface. We meant quality content too, perhaps a separate section among the Masters/ Gurus/ Xper 9s/ Editors who've contribute here the most anyway.
    That and the inclusion of a few more categories, like I mentioned such Psychology or Gaming and so many more.
    4) We need more Experts. I've seen only one.
  • gotc147
    Lots of negative responses here...

GAG, you need to realize that there is no way to please everybody on this website, especially in today's PC culture. The "content" issue didn't have anything to do with making questions or opinions private or anything like that, it had everything to do with hyper - sensitive millenials who have problems with people named "Lynch" because they see it as an allusion to slavery.

There is no pleasing these people, they actively search for things to be offended by, even if you deleted every reported post on the site they would not be satisfied because they'll expect you to not allow offensive (to them) posts to be on the website for any length of time, meaning you'll have to learn to predict what people are going to say and stop them before they actually post it, and even then it might not be enough because these people don't even want others having THOUGHTS that are offensive to them.

Stop trying to cater to these people, it's a fools errand.

Other than that, I am completely indifferent to all the changes made lately.
    • JuicyBrain

" sensitive millenials who have problems with people named "Lynch" because they see it as an allusion to slavery."

This is soooooooo true !
      People seem to think they have a right to not be offended nowadays. I miss the 80's and 90's when you could say whatever you wanted and people would take it with a grain of salt. Nowadays, some people are actively looking for reasons to be offended and seem to think that everything should be done to put them to rest.

• msfuntastic
    Can I still reply to this? Okay then... Yeah, I don't like the question closing thing. Even when Yahoo Answers did this (they don't anymore), they at least gave 3 - 5 days for answers. 48 hours is a short window. Not a fan of this decision. Some of us don't log in every single day.

Ideally, a question would remain valid as long as the asker has not chosen to close it.
  • hellionthesage
    This seems kind of stupid. Why would you remove the ability to comment if you have chosen a MHO? Especially considering that if their are not that many answers or inactivity for 48 hours your forced to choose one any way even if it is not helpfull in any way? If its a hassle the question asker already has the capacity to disavow it and not be notified so what is the point of restricting it further? Doesn't more content by its nature imply, more. You have removed content with that choice, those questions are no longer available and so content is lost rather then gained. If anything you should have it where questiones with few answers pop up in the feed more often or have a section specificly for it rather then taking them away. As for safety, what safety issues are their? Safe: protected from or not exposed to danger or risk; not likely to be harmed or lost. ie their is, barring hacking attempts, nothing unsafe on this website. Censoring of ideas and opinions is in fact the most unsafe thing you can do as it narrows peoples perceptions to the point of seeing only that which is pleasent or appealing to them instead of the truth. If one person makes a comment and its made private then if their is incorrect information there will be no way for a person to know and give counter statements, so the person in question is then forced to proceed with the assumption of an idea being correct when it is not. Further more debate and argument is not only necessary in life but it is unavoidable. By creating a system that allows people to hide from this fact and hear only that which they want to hear is the most unsafe thing you can do. It is incredibly detrimental to the individual and society as a whole. Also I would point out that currently their is issues (at least I'm having them) where the character limit shows that I am under the max limit yet will not let me send the opinion/reply. (I am assuming that it is not counting either user names or web addresses). Its quite infuriating, especially since I already tend to right books on here so I tend to have this happen frequently. I appreciate the effort put forth to update everything (I have noticed improvments) but I do think some of these are going to defeat the entire purpose of this website.
  • Girl_Scout
    I think you're making a HUGE mistake in closing questions like that. Yes we should have the option, but don't force it. I think you're going to kill your site with that one - what's the logic behind it?
  • puertoriguesa
    ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i hate this update too much annoying notifications i don't even care about, i hate that they are closing questions just everything is horrible,,, updates are sometimes dumb and pointless
  • KawaiiPie67
    What is this site? One big huge social experiment on the people who use it?
    • Maybe it's like when FB tried to make people more depressed by showing them sad posts except GaG is trying to see how they can make their site as annoying as possible?

• Lots of psychologist work with big social media website companies like Facebook
      I would not be surprised if this was the same

• Yeah, like they're allowing this site to be used by businesses and psychologists for the sake of $. Just like all of these ads and sponsored my take posts.

• Wizbit
    I don't like the question closing. I can accept it closing after MHO is selected as that implies the Asker has received a helpful response, but 48hours of inactivity? How does that even work? If I post a question in the evening, people in America won't see it until the following day (middle of the night). By the time my 48hours is up Americans will have had one chance to view. I get that it's 48hours inactivity but bearing in mind people on here have to go to school and work and don't check the feed every day. I know I've sat down to view some questions (which I don't do every day because of other commitments) and every question I'm interested in or have a response for is already closed, even if I only saw it the day before and saved it to respond to later. Won't this just encourage a lot of people to keep replying "bump" to their own posts, or getting their friends (for those with lots of followers) to keep bumping their post leaving the lower ranked members without a hope of getting seen? If questions must close through inactivity at least give it a full 7 days. A month would be better, and then remove it so only people who've posted in it can access it (for MHO etc.)

The privacy feature sounds scary too. It really does seem to be opening the door for abuse. If an Asker/commenter want to discuss privately they have messaging for that. If this isn't possible because the Asker is anonymous it probably means the Asker doesn't want private messages anyway.

Please fix these. I'm finding there's no point in posting as I'm closed before I get a helpful answer, and there's no point reading other people's posts as they're closed before I get there. If the questions don't at least get a week of inactivity before they are closed I won't be using the site any more as it doesn't work. I certainly won't be allowing private comments on my posts.
  • Glasses
    Ok the Notifications you Mark all as read" button that should end once and for all the dreaded ghost notifications issue that drove some people crazy is basically what you said but What if you want to be Notified when a question asker up votes your opinion on their question they asked but you don't want to be Notified when a user that your following post a new question?
    • You can turn all notifications ON or OFF on the Settings page. ;)

• Glasses

What if you only want to turn off notifications from certain people but NOT all?

• vishna
    Why should the questions be closed? That's a terrible idea.
    Some people pick mho hours within asking a question, others within a day. It's not fair to the people who are here for more than mho % that we can't contribute to a discussion because the asker was hasty in selecting a best answer.
    • I usually pick MHO at day 29, after the question was made.

• vishna

@lime_rampljuset dude I pick close to the limit as well. I 1) forget and 2) will not pick for at least a week.

• Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    and still no dislike button :/... the 1 thing everyone wanted. besides that, the only the mho closing thing is kinda annoying. some people select them about 5 minutes upon asking the question. sometimes i like answering for the sake of answering and don't mind if people give opinions after i select mho. i personally think if it is possible, that there are no notifications for new answers if the person selects mho. also, a lot of sections don't get enough traffic so for some sections, like men's behavior (random example) would get killed...
    • i agree with @Zendrya. why not let op close their own question?

• EXACTLY

• @hazoplmeught not to mention the fact that this implies that the question will get a good answered in about 48 hours... what if i get 20 trolls? so now, i get no adequate answer and i probably have to wait to ask another question and pray to allah i get a good answer

• Mustachekitteh
    I hate with a great passion the notification change. It's confusing as hell and extremely annoying! This is the only thing I've ever hated so much that gag has done. Though the question thing were you can only ask a certain amount due to how many MHO's you haven't picked. That's the dumbest thing I have ever seen on here as well.
    • I can live with having a limited amount of questions to ask and me having to pick an mho so I can ask more questions. What I can't live with. Is the fact that even if I don't pick an MHO or ask a question. Gag will close the question anyways. That is what really pisses me off. It's like we have no say in how long our questions stay open. If gag has to force a question closed. At least wait till the question is 10 days old or something.

• meatballs21
    I do not like being notified that an MHO for a question I've shared an opinion on has been selected, unless it's me. I didn't care that the Asker had upvoted my opinion either.

Closing questions is a decent idea except this will encourage people to ask the same question multiple times, something that is already a problem among a minority of users who will keep asking until they are told what they want to hear.
    • I had eight worthless notifications when I logged back in, out of nine total.

Three of 'THIS POLL WAS CONCLUDED, DID YOUR VOTE TIP THE SCALE?'
      Three of 'GENERICUSERNAME SELECTED AN MHO FOR THIS QUESTION'
      Two 'ASKER LIKED YOUR OPINION'.
      One reply to my opinion.

• LoseMyself
    Question closing? Please tell me you're joking.

I often get the best answers later on.

And i feel sorry for the mods.
  • Zendrya
    I hate this new closed thing... I should have the option to close my question not have it manually closed... The site is getting worse
    • I know I hate it... I actually like getting opinions on my questions. :/ I won't select MHO if that's the case.

• Exactly, all we asked for was downvotes, none of this

• Zendrya

@RainbowFanGirl neither will I

• daremetwo
    So you think this will give all questions answers? Not likely the poor questions still won't get responses. Then after 48 hrs they will still disappear if I have read this right? As for the down vote coming back why wait do it now or will it be like the follow question thingy? GAG simply hopes it will die?
    • It's not quite like that...

We're closing questions after they are INACTIVE (no new opinions, new replies or new poll votes) for 48 hours, which is a good indicative that people won't likely interact with that question anymore. ;)

• dudeinohio

You need to make a setting to where we won't see closed questions in our feeds.

• daremetwo

@dudeinohio Great idea. I see way to many questions that are closed

• dogbert444
    Another load of "It ain't broke, but we're going to fix it anyway" updates. No wonder so many are apparently leaving.
    • dogbert444

The idea of closing a question is totally ridiculous!! Someone with the perfect answer or opinion will not be able to add it to the question. The asker will miss out on what could be the best answer. This is NOT good, GAG admin!!

• Jager66
    The best part about this site is the open discussions that happen. Closing questions and private answers is just going to ruin that, may as well just go use Yahoo Answers...
  • karahiri
    Awesome changes :)

One thing I'd like is the ability to prevent replies on an opinion. Sometimes anonymous Askers get very antagonistic and there's no way to stop the onslaught.
    • Thanks for the feedback. I'll save that one for later. ;)

• Zendrya

You could just make it so anons can't reply

• karahiri

@Zendrya I mean I want to stop replies on an opinion I give- not on a question I post. I always block anons on questions :)

• Mesonfielde
    I have two major gripes with this

1.) You intend to make the place a safer environment, but now Private opinions that ONLY the QA can see are the perfect way to troll and antagonize someone with the mods having no ability to see them.

It's like repeat offenders with Private profiles, just worse.

2.) Just because people don't answer my question for 2 days doesn't mean I gave up on it. What if I would like to feature it? Oh, by the time it gets featured it's closed and nobody can answer. Sounds fun, lol.
    • Really, updates are limited to 2 per WEEK

Who cares about the update if you can't even post on it anymore

• You could close questions that are 3 months old or more, but I received opinions on year old questions that I have replied to, so eh.

I think closing a question only makes sense if the QA explicitly chooses to, it should be undoable, or if the system selects the MHO for you (and even then it should be undoable).

I think autoclosing makes sense on questions where the QA terminated their account.

• A featured question gets reopen for only 24 hours

• Betwyn
    How are moderators supposed to do their jobs, if they can't seen the new posts?
    • That's a very good question!

• Exactly because the trolls will just private their opinions, which is dumb and redundant to the PM feature.

• BeeNee
    I think you guys are obviously trying to make GaG a better site and community and I have appreciated the open dialog and getting to vote on changes. I'm at peace with everything here... except, 48 hours to close down a question with inactivity. This I believe should be optional or at least the time extended. We as askers are asking for opinions because we want them. That shouldn't be closed off so swiftly. I think also the byproduct of this will be that MHO's will now be discouraged because people will know that that will shut down their ability to receive opinions from those who have not already left their own.
  • NearlyNapping
    So let me get this straight. It wasn't long ago that GaG made a change to encourage more answers after MH is selected. That got a positive response. So now GaG turns around and does just the opposite?

The easiest way to focus on unanswered questions is to only list the question one time in the feed, not a listing for every answer. That will nearly doubling the number of question displayed in the feed. That wouldn't completely solve the problem, but it's a very simple and easy start.

Want better quality? Stop giving points for spam. This site encourages quantity not quality.
    • This site encourages quantity not quality.

This ^

• VirginiaBeachBum
    I'm sure others have echoed these thoughts, but I'll chime in anyway.

1. Closing out questions this way is just wrong. If they are to be closed, it should be at the option of the asker, not some arbitrary 48 hour period of no opinions or comments or when a MHO is selected. I've found a number of questions for the first time which have been inactive for weeks. Then after giving my opinion, it restarted discussion of the question. Now, I wouldn't even get the chance.

Friday I was in the process of typing a thorough reply to a question. Apparently during that time, the asker selected MHOs (only 5 hours after asking the question) and when I clicked Submit, I was informed the question was closed. So my opinion fell off the face of the earth. Talk about discouraging. If you must close out questions, at least let them be open for 90 days.

2. I'm not sure the Private option was well thought out. As a test, I posted this.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1919826-how-useful-do-you-find-the-private-option-to-be

I selected to allow only private opinions. In doing so, I'm told that anyone not a party to the discussion sees only my question, the update, then a count of the number of each gender which replied the question. So who does it benefit? No one but the asker. And I just did it as a test, because as soon as I reached the minimum number of required replied, I selected MHOs to force closure of the question. So now the question is absolutely worthless to anyone. There are no opinions to like or reply to. How is that beneficial to anyone? I hope this test will illustrate to GAG just how bad the combination of forced private opinions and closed questions are.

If you feel the need for private opinions, then make it an option for each person at the time of reply. People can already post questions and opinions anonymously, so forcing all the opinions to be private seems very unnecessary. Yes, we want GAG to be safer and more pleasant, but this seemed like a giant step in the other direction. This is supposed to be a community. Now it feels less like one.
    • (Note: I had to add the following as a reply to this comment, because the system said my post with the text below was too long, even though the counter showed I was only at 2443/2500. So there's an issue which needs to be looked at.)

3. As for the notifications, I'm still deciding on that one. I see the biggest complaint is the number of notifications people are getting, but since I log in frequently and deal with my notifications every time I log on, that hasn't been an issue for me so far. But I'm getting more than I feel I should but can't really put my finger on which ones they are yet. If I see one I think I shouldn't get and can't turn off, I'll reply to this opinion.

• QuestionMan
    Private comments c'mon what a load of bs.
    This prevents other people that may have the same question from receiving help by reading the answers.
  • cinderelli
    Can us mods see the private opinions? This update and the question closing thing seems to be pure shit really..
  • mikemx55
    the blocked questions are the stupidest thing ever. I'll overlook all the rest compared to this. THIS is the big elephant now. Get rid of it, the downvote feature is nothing compared to this nonsense...
    • mikemx55

ANNNNND, If I can't post new opinions on closed questions, but I can add opinion comments, then people are gonna start highjacking the others opinions, just to post their own, because that's the only way... what on earth were you thinking... I know I will do this if I want to post my opinion on it...

• biguyct
    Ill be blunt, this sucks now.
    With the notification change; it fills up my feed. Now there are tons of new notifications I could care less about
    Why are questions closed? This place sucks now.

Does anyone know a better sight similar to this but without the annoying things above?
    • biguyct

now i can't ask questions, all MHO's are given out... SMH

• martyfellow
    I don't think downvoting is missed by anyone except the troll community and the cowardly always-anonymous clique, who contribute nothing positive to GaG! Just because a few of those whine about no more downvoting doesn't make them the majority... most of us who don't miss it don't write questions about it, that's all

I hope the private opinion option will reduce the nearly virtual anonymity of questions on Gag, since people won't have to worry about being harassed for their opinions..
    • jacquesvol

"I hope the private opinion option will reduce the nearly virtual anonymity of questions on Gag, since people won't have to worry about being harassed for their opinions.. "
      Maybe less people will go Anonymous. if they won't have to worry about being harassed for their opinions

• sweettckae
    this is another reason why i leave gag.. its so stupid. stop trying to make everything perfect, you guys are insane, i miss the OLD gag, this gag is bullshit.
  • poopedmypantsagain
    I have been on this site for a while now.. and like it very much.. as I like to give my opinions to many questions that are asked.. not all though because some are just so dumb they are not worth even the time of day.. but this new update where closing questions after a short time, in my view has changed this site a lot with that one up I went to give an opinion on something I had never gave one on before.. and to my surprise.. it was closed.. so I went to another and low and behold it was closed as well, If you really want to put on a great update that I think people would like.

Is first of all take the closing thingy of questions.. off.. and put it back the way it was, then second take off some of the very and I mean very stupid questions that get asked on here.. most are sex questions.. that are common sense to start with.. but to me sound like they are put there by little kids that just lied to get on this site to start with and hoping to get some response.. but they really know nothing about the stupid question they even asked.. anyone can make an account.. it does not matter if you 9 years old.. you just lie.. and as we all know there are many many liars on the net
  • WhatTheHellAmy
    All good, but don't freaking close the questions. What's the point of it? Don't close them!
  • Viperkiss
    It's "coming back soon" eh?

That's like when you ask your dad for ice cream and his reply is "we'll see".
    You know your not getting any damn ice cream!
    But there's that little thread of hope...
  • blondfrog
    That's it this is the straw that broke the camel's back I am officially done with this site. Where? How did you even get the idea that people didn't want to answer a question after mh was selected? I've had plenty of people answer my questions after selecting mh for both gender's. That's a terrible feature.
  • ClariceOwen23
    Well I dislike that questions get closed now. I can't think of a single benefit to it. Even if you do impement the feature, the asker should have the option to manually do it. Sometimes I like receiving opinions on really old questions, even if I've already selected an MHO. Also, 48 doesn't seem like enough time. Maybe a month would be better.

I'm personally indifferent to the private opinions. But in addition to the "Allow only private opinions." feature, I think there should be one for "Don't allow private opinions", just like the options to not allow anonymous opinions.
  • JuicyBrain
    I think that closing questions soon is a good idea, but it could be much better, like making sure nobody can leave opinions at all ! I mean, obviously, if I ask a question, I want as less people to answer it as possible. Also, who would want to have all those notifications? We all know notifications are for stuff like knowing that someone is now following you or that you've been awarded MHO. THOSE are important stuff ! Knowing someone is interested in what you have to say and actually took time to write an opinion? Who wants that ! That's why questions should be closed early ! Cause the last thing you want is for people to actually participate.
    • @JuicyBrain You go against what this site is about. You can not get any less comments and any less participation than zero. Why are you even on here.

• JuicyBrain

@funny_strange_man
      As soon as I have some time, I will explain the concept of sarcasm to you...

• I know exactly what sarcasm is because I use it a lot myself.

• SinghSong
    So, people now have a permanent cap on the number of questions they're allowed to ask. What is that cap? And how is it determined?
    • Depending on your XPER level, you can have a certain number of currently open questions. We're updating the FAQ right now, but these are the new limits:

LVL 1: 2 Open Questions.
      LVL 2: 2 Open Questions.
      LVL 3 to 9: 3 Open Questions.
      LVL 10 (Guru): 4 Open Questions.
      LVL 11 (Master): 5 Open Questions.

• THIS IS STUPID, NO CAP PLEASE

• If you select mho on a question, you can ask another unlimited.

Your level is the number of NON-MHO selected questions you can have open.

After 48 hours your cap resets to yoru level even if you had 4 open ones.