Tips for Crafting a MHO-worthy opinion

Hello G@Gers!

Today, we’re going to be discussing various tips in crafting an opinion and increasing your chances of getting MHO (Most Helpful Opinion). Of course, there is a disclaimer! These are generalized tips, but there are plenty of ways to write a “good” opinion. This is simply a way of trying to objectify a subjective topic. The real secret to writing a good opinion is analyzing the question and deciding what it’s asking for. If you feel a ‘rule’ needs to be broken to give the best advice, by all means, do it!

1. Length: Match the size to the question.

Frankly, you’ll be very limited in what info you can get across in a one-or-two sentence answer. However, there are times where a one-sentence opinion is all you need. It may not be appropriate to write 4000 characters on why “blue is my favorite color.” Size of opinion can be broken down into three main questions:

A) How complicated is this issue?

B) How many questions need answered here?

C) Have I said what I needed to say?

“Say what you need to say!”

We find that personal questions tend to beg for longer opinions. Don’t write long opinions for the sake of it though! A longer opinion does not always mean better if the information is redundant or it continually goes off topic. Relevance is absolute key in every opinion.

2. Don’t just copy/paste!

By this, we are suggesting to not simply copy / paste a long blurb of text from some website! If the asker wanted to read something on wikipedia, he/she likely would have done it. That being said, quoting CAN be a powerful tool when done at the right moments. The key is limiting yourself in how much you’re quoting. The most effective quoting usages tend to be when you can quote a small amount of text and then explain it in your own words afterwards. This accomplishes two things: It keeps things personal to connect with the asker more, and it also summarizes/explains it in a different way. Summarizing a topic makes it easier for the readers to digest.

Travolta. Travolta everywhere.
Travolta. Travolta everywhere.

3. A [relevant] Picture is Worth a 1000 words!

More often than not, a picture may not be necessary for an opinion. However, a picture can sometimes help immensely in clarifying your opinion! As per the “1000 words” saying, some situations are really hard to describe without just showing it! Take a look at the question in hand and ask yourself “Is there a picture that can help?”

4. Take a friendly tone.

We suggest you remain friendly as you write your opinion. Stay away from personal attacks. A more controversial stance is that “a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” Riding the line between blunt matter-of-factness and consideration of feelings can help engage the asker and listen to your words better. For example, if you disagree with the asker’s position— that’s alright! Instead of insulting the asker though for their viewpoint, it’s better to simply discuss your own thoughts and/or why you disagree. Insults have little to no substance to an argument, so it’s best you leave them out. They’ll only serve to make your opinion weaker! Even if your opinion is ‘right,’ if you wrap it up in negativity, it’s going to have limited reach.

(Note: This is different from pandering— something we DO NOT recommend! Pandering, even if it possibly increases an MHO%, serves to reduce the quality of your advice)

Fist bump!
Fist bump!

5. It’s not about the views. It’s about the help.

At the end of the day, it’s important to remember the main objective— helping a person. It’s not about the xper, reputation, or upvotes. There isn’t anything quite like the feeling of a “Thank you!” from an asker deeply appreciative of the hard work you put into your opinion.

With that in mind, quality is better than quantity. Besides boosting your MHO% up, you’ll also be more likely to gain traction on the site as a “person to go to for sage advice.” That'll get you more opportunities to help others out when they seek you out for your wisdom.

6. Some opinions require experience. Some require knowledge.

Some opinions help with a first-hand experience of the situation. That being said, many questions instead only require giving them some thought. Analyze the question. If you feel like the only valid opinion you can give on the question is “Sorry, I’ve never done that before, so I can’t help you,” it may be best to focus your efforts and time on another post.

Indeed, give us your wisdom you will
Indeed, give us your wisdom you will

7. Format for ease.

This is an often overlooked matter in peoples’ opinions. Line breaks, punctuation, and general grammatical correctness can significantly aid your opinion’s clarity. It is something that is especially true the longer an opinion is. A block of text is intimidating, disorienting, and it can instantly bring the thought “Ugh, I don’t want to read this” to mind.

Structure it! It’s ok to use numbered lists or paragraphs to separate your points. In fact, we encourage it! If it’s a longer opinion, a TL;DR; or concluding statement (i.e. “In conclusion…) wouldn’t hurt either!

8. If you want, add some humor.

There are times to and to not add in some humor or comedic value to your opinion. It’s all about the timing. For instance, it’s best to avoid making fun of asker’s troubles, especially if they’re on a serious topic. If you have a witty joke about something along the way though, it can help engage readers with your opinion. To reemphasize, however, you need to ‘read the mood’ of the question. A forced joke with bad timing is worse than no joke at all!

Those are all the tips for now. We hoped they helped. Thanks for reading!

Theres a time and place for everything!
There's a time and place for everything!

Agree? Disagree? Want to add your own tips? Feel free to share in the comments below!

Tips for Crafting a MHO-worthy opinion
10
36

Most Helpful Guys

• Aysen
    "Relevance is absolute key in every opinion."
    I can't hesitate enough how often I see people use irrelevant information and/or unnecessary words to get their opinion across! Sometimes, people accidentally ramble on an emotional-based question, others may simply go off-topic during a controversial statement. It's absolutely crucial to mention everything you need to, but to not overcomplicate your point of view either to make the Asker lose interest in your opinion.

Everything listed here is very accurate, especially with #1 and #7. If you're someone who has a lot of empathy, plenty of knowledge/experience to share and can relate to the Asker on a deeper level, they'll appreciate your extra effort to sincerely help them. Although, there are trivial questions that are mainly for fun, then it's a matter of being creative with your opinion! It absolutely feels rewarding and satisfying when your advice goes the mile to help those who are seeking it so it's important to know every step it'll take to getting your point across easier.

That aside, this is a much more, refined version of how to make an MHO-worthy opinions from previous questions and MyTakes regarding the same subject. This is much appreciated and I'm certain people will find these tips to be of great use for the next opinions they write up!
    Is this still revelant?
  • wankiam
    you know what thats all great but ignores the fact that its up to the asker to choose and sometimes they dont make the best choices... a while ago a user who was planning a trip to thailand asked if she needed to carry her pasport at all times or if she could carry a copy and leave the original in the hotel safe... i looked at the embassy website for her and checked local laws and found it was indeed a legal requirement to carry the original at all times and even found cases of where tourists had been fined and had a few hours in a police cell for not complying... she gave mho to a fellow American who just said... it will be fine.
    Is this still revelant?
    • That happens so often... I have a small hope that the issue will appear on family guy's "what really grinds my gears"

• wankiam

@GreenPenguin yeah or south park lol. all i could think was i wonder if she will remember it when she is sat in a foreign police cell

Most Helpful Girls

• SydneySentinel
    The point isn't to try to earn an MHO-- it's to actually help the person or to exchange stories and connect with people. If you're commenting for the purpose of an MHO, you're not in it for the right reasons.
    Is this still revelant?
  • Clo917
    Sorry, I have no opinion on this or any tips to add, here is an irreverent photo too while I'm at it. Give me mho pls.

(In all seriousness, this is actually helpful and good advice)
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

834
  • Izumiblu
    Tl;dr

see tip #1.
  • yucychan
    I don't believe in sugar-coating my words. I will tell it as it is. If a person is stupid enough to hurt himself/herself and has no self respect, I'm will just say he/She is stupid and has no self respect. Because being polite sometimes does not get your point across.
  • AmandaYVR
    Good tips. Thanks for that. It's good to know what some of the official policies and recommendations are.

All those animated gifs are driving me nuts. I usually avoid pages with them on it. I know, you probably believe it makes the page more 'dynamic' but it's distracting and annoying in my opinion.

What's the character count limit now?
  • I think one of the best ways to increase MHO% is to avoid answering questions that you know you don't have a good answer for. Basically, only answer when you know what you are saying, when you have good knowledge or experience on the matter that the asker is asking about. If you really have something to say, maybe wait until MHO has been selcted for that question, so it won't reduce your MHO percent.
  • MrOracle
    I have a lot of MHOs (23,005 as of this writing), and I can only agree with this MyTake.
    Many of my answers are long, but plenty are just a short paragraph or two if that's all I need to get my answer across, but I MOSTLY focus on giving a helpful, hopefully insightful answer to the question asked - and injecting a bit of humor where I can.
    I also use a good number of pics and memes to break things up a bit.
    • LOL how many of those were chosen by a RoBot? Exactly you don't know so we really don't know what our REAL MHO would be thanks to GAG choosing MHO for us. Congrats though!

• MrOracle

@coachTanthony I had about 8,000 four years ago before the automated MHOs, and I get about 10 a day, the vast majority chosen by Askers.

• That is great but wouldn't you like a true MHO percentage? Not one that is tainted by robots?

• How about giving us tips on crafting a MHO worthy opinion for your computer algorithm?

MHO is a sham. I went from 26% to 40% over night and I have no idea what my actual MHO really is?

You are better than this @girlsaskguys
  • Dargil
    Make your answers definitive.
    Avoid weasel words like may or should. People want answers even if they don't eventually test.
    If you say "it depends". Explain on what.
    And don't say anything that you would not say to his or her face.
  • Unit1
    this is completely Useless when the system auto selects the most helpful opinions 72 hours after the question was asked.
  • Kaneki05
    I don't try for mho ever what's the point in that. rather just say my opinion ya ethier like it or you don't. And hopefully it does help somehow but if it don't not all opinions are gonna so that's okay.

Just be youself don't try for a mho.
  • red_knight
    I usually answer the question directly as the simplest answers is most always the correct one unbiased.

Then I read the synopsis lol.. Any editing can be made under my opinion with corrections 😂 🤡
  • I always thought automatic MHOs were just picked at random.
  • billyboy37
    what? all that writing. watch this... take 4 min and close ur eyes really feel the question you are attempting to answer. never "try" to win MHO
  • seniorghostman
    Just be genuine and 9 times outta 10 speak from experience. Either first hand or the person you know but the ins and outs of that to better assist the person needing/wanting advise
  • Massambit
    Always include a dic pic in your answer as well as a proposition for depraved sexual acts in exchange for money.
  • Liam_Hayden
    Or you could do what many others here obviously do - have multiple accounts and give your primary account MHO for every answer to one of your questions.
  • Nik1hil
    OR just target many questions and be really Funny..
    And short reasonable answer with humor can bag you more MHO in short time..
  • Insomnia72
    Just a suggestion on improving your site... move the bell indicator to show new comments to the top center of the screen. At the moment it's to the right of the Search click. Having at it to the far right is nearly concealed because I run my zoom feature high so letters on the screen are large. I'm an old guy, so I need to see letters big, thus zoom up to 120%. I hate wearing glasses all the time is why I like reading online where I can control the size of letters, but your site is not letter size friendly. Just saying. This can be improved by just allowing things to format large or small.
  • abc3643
    Those are essentially the guidelines I use to craft my answers that I am going for MHO.
  • Chris006
    Lol🙄
  • pigoat
    I wanna hear from all the high percentage MHO people
    • I don't know what my MHO really is because GAG chooses some for me. Could really be 20 could really be 40 but I will never know. Sorry.

• Swat_
    "Depends on the person" Is the awnser to nearly every question on here.
  • Mho is just kissing someone’s ass what they want to hear. People don’t want the truth, it’s too much to handle with their tiny brains.
  • Exorcist_Rampage
    Yes. Usually long worded opinions gets lots of MHO.
  • YankeeD
    I really don't have an opinion on gaggers cuz I know I'm not one
  • Give me MHO, pls.
  • I farted. Give me MHO
  • vald9inches
    I need more crafting material!!
  • LazyMan
    TLDR - Try.
  • NightOwl8801
    Cool tips , thanks for the info.
  • I like last picture
  • pizzalovershouse
    make it a current topic of intrest
  • MisterSir
    thank you
  • Great mytake. Valuable advice.
  • jwsstein
    O M G
  • Taurus90
    Thanks 🤗
  • Joker_
    Interesting myTake
  • CT_CD
    Thank you for the tips.
  • Thank you
  • Rajkot
    Hii 9974732720
  • MoscowMitch
    Just tell people what they want to hear.
  • Anonymous
    #5 & #6
    Here to help and vice versa.
    But too bad some people approach certain topics with hatred instead🤷🏽‍♂️
  • Anonymous
    Fill my tum tum with a delicious MHO.