Girls of GAG: The Truth about Cat-Calling

The Truth about Cat-Calling

This MyTake was inspired by a question. I asked about Cat-Calling. I was simply amazed at the amount of guys who falsely believe girls actually like it. So, maybe hearing from multiple girls that it's not flattering or funny might help these guys to understand they are wrong.

Cat-Calling is disgusting, and if you ever did have a chance with a girl Cat-Calling her will ruin it. Let's see what 15 Girls from GAG think about it.

The Survey

I sent out a five question survey. Here's the questions each girl was asked.

1. Do you like being Cat-Called?

2. Have you EVER liked Cat-Calling directed towards you?

3. Would you date a guy who Cat-Called at you?

4. Is Cat-Calling annoying and even scary in the right situations?

5. Anything else about Cat-Calling you want to tell these guys that think girls like it?

The GaG Girls Answers

@Agape93

1. No it’s extremely annoying and disrespectful.

2. Nope.

3. Nope, it’s an instant shut down moment.

4. At the minimum it’s annoying, but it can be scary. Doing it while she’s alone and nobody is around to help, or when at night.

5. It’s disrespectful as hell. If you want to compliment us, then show some fucking courage and walk up and tell us politely. That’s how you get a positive response. You don’t just whistle and shout things at us and embarrass us like that.

@archiz

1. no

2. no

3. no

4. yes

5. Guys If you find a girl attractive just approach her like a decent human being.

@1828avaava1828

1. I prefer not to be catcalled.

2. I haven’t liked it. I may have not minded it from ages 16-18 about? But, with age and experience, I realized it was uncomfortable.

3. I can’t say for sure I wouldn’t, but the odds are very much so against it.

4. It can be annoying, and scary to some women

5. I would just say that there’s better ways to go about things. There’s cuter, more respectful, less aggressive ways to go!

@DrippingHoney

1. I don't like it

2. I've run the gamut from indifference to it all the way to being scared for my safety.

3. I wouldn't date someone who catcalled me. I generally don't give them any attention at all.

4. It's always annoying, sometimes embarrassing, and occasionally scary depending on where I am and who I'm with.

5. I'm not sure why guys catcall. It can't be to actually meet a woman because I've never met a single woman who was actually self-loathing enough to give a Cat-Caller the time of day.

@Gwenhwyfar

1. No!

2. No!

3. No!

4. Yes!

5. Don’t do it! At best she’ll just think you’re a douche. At worst she’ll hate you and be scared of you.

@Aislin9

1. No! It's degrading, it makes me feel small.

2. No!!!

3. Never.

4. I remember the first time it happened when I was alone, I was wearing a dress, slightly above the knee, I walked past some construction workers and they made a scene, hooting and hollering, whistling .....after that I did a fast walk to get away.

5. You make us feel like prey..

@Cynicaldreamer

1. Only if it's from a guy I'm dating/seeing (we're already in a relationship). Otherwise NO, it's degrading.

2. No

3. Probably not I would assume he's only physically attracted to me and nothing more. How is calling out to a random girl sexy or appealing?!

4. Of course! Especially, if you're alone or it's late and you turn him down or ignore him. He might pursue you, or even worse

5. How would you feel if a woman did the same to you? They only viewed you as a sex object, or harassed you for your looks? I'm pretty sure they would think we're creepy or it's unappealing.That's how women feel when men do it to them.

@juicyjessie

1. No

2. No

3. No

4. Yes

5. "Go play with the traffic on a motorway!"

@Jennifer_Bloom

3. No, I wouldn't date a guy who Cat-Called me. I would be cautious and fearful of harassment and rape from him. I will not date them also because I want a modest guy who is conservative and respectable.

@Ericalovescats

1. I do not like being cat called at all.

2. I did when I was 14 and didn't know any better until I realized just how many creeps there are in the world.

3. I would not date a man who cat called me.

4. Yes it is annoying and it's scary given the right circumstances

5. Here's what I tell guys: your not being "cool" or edgy. Your being a douchebag. If your friends think it's cool they're idiots.

@Elliegirl

1. I don’t like it

2. I’ve never liked it

3. I wouldn’t

4. It’s always annoying and can be scary

5. We don’t like it. It’s objectifying us and it’s so annoying.

@CapricornHoney

1. Definitely not - it makes me feel so uncomfortable

2. No I haven’t - this could be because I feel like I’m an awkward person in general and just don’t know how to react

3. I don’t think I would no

4. More so annoying than scary. I haven’t ever felt like my life was in danger when being cat called before

5. I would tell them just not to do it. If you find a girl attractive and want her to know, there are plenty of other ways around it.

@Brainsbeforebeauty

1. No don't like being catcalled which is not the same as a man complimenting or flirting in a respectable way.

2. No

3. Highly unlikely

4. Annoying and also embarrassing for people who don't like attention called to them. It's not just the people cat calling you, other people can see hear too.

5. That they should think about how they are making that person feel.... Awkward, annoyed, scared in some situations.. And it's not a good way to show interest in someone

@anniisa

1. No

2. No

3. No. Catcalling speaks levels on the type of person you are, and your attitude towards women in general.

4. It's beyond annoying. It can be scary depending on the circumstances. I've personally never felt like I was in danger, however it's always left me feeling very humiliated and degraded. That being said, I would certainly feel very uncomfortable going anywhere near a man I know to have catcalled me.

5. Don't do it. The vast majority of women do not take this as a compliment, hence why it is recognised as a form of street harassment. It does not make you seem confident, or alpha male material. If anything it has the opposite effect.

@Wowwgirl

1. No it's disgusting and shows low i.q and no social skills.

2. No it's always been disgusting and made me upset in some way. Now it just piss's me off.

3. No, never, never ever, It shows me he has shit for morals, shit for character, and doesn't respect women at all. I'd rather go out alone then with that type of guy. Gross!

4. Scary enough I pulled a gun once on a Cat-Caller when I was along at night in a the middle of nowhere. He started running at me and yelling horrible rape type comments. Guess he picked the wrong girl ( No charges were pressed )

5. Don't do it! because someday you might come across a girl like me, and things may not go the way that you planned them to.

Last but not least, Thank You to all the girls who participated (Whom All gave consent for me to post their names and opinions). Well guys 15/15 said No it's not cute, it's wrong. Good luck ever getting a date based on Cat-Calling from a girl above 16 years old.

Sorry to bust your ignorant bubble about girls liking Cat-Calling. Becaues as you see we don't like it. It's not flattering. It's not cute. It's pathetic and desperate behavior.

Thanks everyone for reading....

#WowgirlRocks

27
6

Most Helpful Girl

• musicbrain5
    Yep, so many guys on here just don’t get it. I’ll answer the questions too.

1. Do you like being Cat-Called? NO

2. Have you EVER liked Cat-Calling directed towards you? NO

3. Would you date a guy who Cat-Called at you? HELL NO. He’s already shown me that he’s a massive jerky douche right off the bat.

4. Is Cat-Calling annoying and even scary in the right situations? Yes absolutely it can be. Just don’t do it.

5. Anything else about Cat-Calling you want to tell these guys that think girls like it? You’ve got it all wrong.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thank you

• You’re welcome.

• And then wonder why they can't get a girl 💗

Most Helpful Guy

• zagor
    I never got the point of it.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

526
  • ADFSDF1996
    Men get cat called as well, where’s the outrage?https://www.youtube.com/embed/75aX9mlipiY
    • Because their men

• ADFSDF1996

So you view men as expendable?

• I view them as men not women

• Sevenpointfive
    there are exceptions but in the right moment a cat call can be toned down to a hello. i was drinking on the patio of a bar with a friend who's less flirtatious than me. ten girls came walking up the sidewalk in front of us. i said hey ladies. i got two meows back
  • RickPen
    I almost threw a (much older) family member out of my car because he was cat calling while visiting. I threatened to do it if he ever did that again, regardless of speed or location. He didn't like it, but kept his mouth shut. It was doubly bad as he was married and bored with his wife.

Be respectful. I dislike women trying to do that to me, or walking up and grabbing a handful, so I am not about to do it to someone, or allow it to happen on my property.
  • najekim
    Interesting how times have changed. When I was young, a "wolf-whistle" was meant as a compliment and a lady would either turn to look at you and smiled taking the compliment or ignore it.
    Let me add another tidbit to this, I grew up in the upper mid-west where people weren't so uptight as they were on the left and right coasts. A whole different way of life altogether back then. Much calmer and more tolerant.
    • I'm the Midwest Best

• It's not okay it's a pussy move on the guys part now

• Times change, sir. Learn to adapt.

• Mehzmeh
    I have lost count of how many times I, have been with a female friend. And she got cat called. And me being who I am. I approach the guy's who did it. And how many times those same guys apologized. I have cat called once. But it was to get the female to turn around. But I walked up to her and, apologised, to her. And we dated for 8 months. But every day I, apologies to her all the time.
    • That's cool you stood up for her

• Mehzmeh

Not just her. It was a lot of my female friends. The ugly guy always hang out with really pretty girls. Lol. Also, don't hurt that I am a gentleman. Lol

• joeblow123

@WowwGirl

I sure someone like you stands up for false rape accusers too.

• MeatPuppet
    That settles it. Catcalling is antisocial behavior. Labor unions should ensure no worker is being catcalled and no worker is catcalling anybody. Law enforcement should punish catcalling with fines and the repeated offense should treat as harassment, misdemeanor, and public disturbance.
    • MeatPuppet

Edit: *Repeated offenders should be charged with harassment, misdemeanor, or public disturbance.

• Jackblue

How about we put the cat callers and the far left wingers in jail together, you both are self-entitled and like to rape and murder.

• @Jackblue 🍻🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

• Brainsbeforebeauty
    Good take. Hopefully it will get through. Even if it makes just one person realize that isn't the way to do things.
  • Jjpayne
    I enjoyed your last my take better as it relates to this topic. I commend your efforts to reach out but I thought your writing impacted me more in the last my take you made
    • Jjpayne

I thought the flirting and harassment hit the message home for me

• Jjpayne

Flirting and harassment mytake

• Jjpayne

I think that it's nice to get a bunch of girls opinions together on it. I appreciated the other mytake better simply because I thought it was a good and strong argument against it. This was well put together and time was clearly taken to make it. I do appreciate it for the effort and reaching out that you have done. It's a good mytake! I just also think that your views on flirting and Harrassment also answer this topic beautifully. I was really impressed with your thoughts on it. This mytake is less about your thoughts and more about gathering others to support your point. I hope this makes some kind of sense

• WhereAmI
    Most women dont like it but I've seen some play along. Others, not so much. Maybe it's to get to get a rise out of women? Dunno.

I know my father was one since he drove me and my roommate back to our apartment and literally howled at women driving by in a convertible. I think he had a couple of beers in him at the time. My roommate couldnt stop laughing but the women he howled at were laughing back at him, so all's good. 😂
  • LogicBomber
    The ACTUAL truth of catcalling from a MALE.

Catcalling is NOT about gender it is about quality of person. Just as many trash female catcall males as trash males cat call women.
    You don’t see men in suits catcalling. It’s generally trash humans.
  • joeblow123
    Women hate being catcalled (even though Jessica Valenti admitted she missed being catcalled) and they hate MGTOW where men ignore them altogether. Women don't know what they want.
    • Ha I remember that and then she blamed the imaginary patriarchy for it rather than her biological hunger for male attention and to be viewed in a sexual way.

• esotericstory
    When I was a welder I sometimes had to work on construction sites. Sometimes the same woman, scantily dressed passes by the construction site looking for a reaction. Some women do like it, but simply because they are neurotically obsessed with attention.
  • kespethdude
    Oh, and if you catcall a girl UNDER 16, then you're a REALLY SICK F*** who deserves to rot in prison after having your balls cut off. Seriously, though, this is spot on.
    • Pay no attention to the PEDOPHILE who responded to me. His ass was reported, hopefully he will be removed from the entire Internet, or better, SWATTED.

• Snakeyes7
    I understand if someone were to yell obscenities to you but to tell someone to go play in traffic or to rip their face off if they said a generic compliment to you sounds like a bit of an overreaction to me. Not to say that you can’t find it annoying but wishing death upon them is a whole other level.
    • ... unless the catcaller is a pedophile, then those comments are fair game.

• joeblow123

@kespethdude

Or a cuck.

• Snakeyes7

Oh yeah I definitely would be saying those things if those low lives started cat calling a five year old girl. That’s fucked up on a whole other level.

• Vulture051
    Some hot guys also did their own videos, guess what happened to them? It wasn't "Why hello sir, I find you attractive and would like to go out for coffee with you"

Crappy people are crappy. Don't try to gender it.
  • Liam_Hayden
    I can see where it would be annoying, but I must live in a bubble. I literally live at the beach with girls walking around wearing next to nothing all summer long and I have seen cat calling maybe three times in my entire life.
  • ZombieP1ow
    Its disrespectful. Guys that cat call are too stupid to know that though. Just because they stand up-right, doesn't mean they've evolved beyond the thinking of a cave dwelling Neanderthal. Nobody likes to be singled out and called attention too from an uninviting stranger, Male or female
  • LEADFOOTboi
    NOW I KNOW WHAT CAT CALLING REALLY IS... thankyou for defining it for me finally... i'm not someone who would do that... much to quiet bordering on respectful... wouldn't even cross my mind to say things like that to a stranger on the street...
    • Was the gun huh? Makes us rednecks get it!

• no @WowwGirl... it wasn't the gun... it was explaining what catcalling was... then i can say... that ain't my baggage... you don't have to shoot me please... but you can if you want i guess? Q - Q

• Lmao nooo I don't want to shoot anyone especially you

• I-am-a-nobody
    OK, I can see how it could be scary, but a reasonable observer must admit that some women dress (or undress) to get a reaction. None of the girls pictured are especially immodest or "showing off" except the girl in the red dress/mid thigh length. But that's relatively modest compared to a lot of things I've seen.

For myself...
    I still got a thrill out of the "nice legs" and whistles I'd hear when I used to run.
    Of course, I always felt safe. Had I not felt safe, I'm sure it would have been uncomfortable.
    • You have got to be shitting me. You probably blame the victim for being raped too.

• @joeblow123 I fucked your mother last night.

• Bluemax
    Good take.

On a side note, some of the things said in that video about the girl walking around New York for (x many) hours I would never consider cat calling. If it is, then I've been cat called. In fact, I'd go so far as to say some of what they considered cat calling is ridiculous to me.

Also, I am vehemently opposed to cat calling. That being said, I'm generally opposed to *any* legislation about cat calling. I am not in favor of harmony when it means telling people what they can't say, even if what they say demeans me, humiliates me, makes me feel scared, or makes me feel uncomfortable.
    • Bluemax

P. S. I think you left out a question that would very directly address a phenomenon which pro-cat callers think is a real issue. Many of them, misguided of course, believe, "Oh, well girls don't like cat calling from *most* men, but girls like cat calling if they think the guy is attractive." (dudes, they don't)

I might have asked "Do you like being catcalled by a handsome man?"

• Marriedwith2
    Sadly, you're wasting your efforts... consider the mentality of the little boys you're trying to reason with
  • akanetuk
    It is more decent to approach a lady than to cat call
  • Succubus-slayer65
    Some girls like it but in 2020 only a fool would catcsll
  • alance99
    Nice Mytake and i nope no girl on this planet has to go through this
  • archiz
    Well done👏🏿
  • Wonderful
  • 1828avaava1828
    Good one WOWZ !
  • Branden315
    Wait, people were actualy shocked by that...
  • Joker_
    Yes clearly women enjoy being cat-called
    • You forgot the... NOT!

• Joker_

I thought it was obvious I was being sarcastic

• shotsfired1
    I know girls who like it
  • admles
    Catcalling is for losers, tbh.