My First Time Getting Botox & What To Expect

Botox: What to expect!
Botox: What to expect!

So I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had decided to go in on a lunchtime Concierge Botox appt someone in my office set up.

Yesterday was the day and we all watched each other get consults, then Botox and/ or fillers, if need be from a board certified dermatologist.

I think by this time we all know the results can be good, bad or ugly depending on many factors, but mainly being injected by a physician and not a aesthetician, so I feel no need to dive into that.

The results need about at least 3 days to begin to take hold depending on the brand of Botox used. Initially you are only left with swelling but it goes down within a few hours.

If you hate shots this isn’t for you. It takes a good ten minutes or more to do the injections. The biologic compound they insert can sting a bit and cause a feeling of pressure. That feeling may lead to headaches.

Luckily I didn’t need too much in the forehead in terms of units used but I got pricked at least 12 times total for upper my face.

First time botox
First time botox

Already I notice that my forehead is smoother upon raising my eyebrows but there is still a lot of movement. I want to make sure I can animate but with partial paralyzation of muscles as preventative care.

My physician will check in with me in a week to see if any touch ups are needed.

Honestly, I don’t know how long it would have taken me to go into a doctors office and get an assessment for Botox, even though I planned to st some point. So I was really glad to hear that we can just all have a Botox Party at home or the office.

We've all seen bad Botox jobs and that’s what we think of immediately with the procedure. But the reality is that many people walking around with fresh faces have had Botox on the DL and only admit it in private.

Botox effect
Botox effect

I personally was happy to do it in public. It’s no secret when we pay hundreds every month on our hair.

My my hair is red so while I do get treatment it costs much less that what others pay because they are only accents to my natural color.

Will post updates as the Botox takes effect. The brand I selected was Xeomin. It works quicker than Botox but both are biologics so one brand works better for others. Time will tell.

1116
sjoes006 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• While I understand that cosmetic modification is something a lot of people do. (Dying their hair, wearing gallons of make up, trying to regrow hair, etc) I don't like the aspect of injections... Even if they AREN'T toxic.

Mainly because the money that goes into visual confidence, stems from a battle we have with aging, that I personally believe should never be fought.

I don't suggest people give a shit about my opinions on beauty or self confidence, but it's very hard for me to sympathize with the money spent on a risky procedure that most likely won't even help much with your personal issues.

That's just my 2 cents.

• Thanks for sharing.

Once you start to feel hoods over your eyes it becomes more about comfort and less and cosmetics.

At around 50 or so some people have to have eyelid surgery and no judgement here.

Happy to report that the excess eyelid fold has gone away and honestly feels better throughout the day.

Give it time my young friend. 😊

• "The biologic compound they insert can sting a bit and cause a feeling of pressure. That feeling may lead to headaches." Or make you die horribly if they inject more than a truly miniscule amount.

• You can’t die hahaha 🤣😂

• I don't know I still don't trust it.
      Medicine is one thing but injecting toxins into yourself in the name of beauty is scary to me

• It’s hijacking a toxin and redesigning it to make good out of evil. Insurance pays for it depending on why you need it. Completely covered for migraines even though there is very little evidence that it actually works in preventing them.

Most Helpful Girls

• Wow, I’ve been stressed and have forehead wrinkles forming. And creams are not working. At this point, I’m thinking of either getting Fraxel laser or Botox. And I’ve also seen a doctor use very little botox to fill in extreme pitted acne scars.

Well, i hope you keep us updated how the Botox works out and if it’s worth it.

• 48 hours out and my forehead is smooth even when I raise my eyebrows. Though I can’t still scrunch my eyebrows to frown.

My doctor went really light on units the muscle that controls the frowning. I didn’t want a frozen face and she said we could make adjustments at 7-10 days if need be. You can always add more but can’t take away dosage.

I appreciate that approach.

Join the discussion

914
  • I get 26 Botox injections in my scalp, face, neck and shoulders every 12 weeks for migraines. No big deal. It's a great thing and has totally helped my migraines. I don't see it any differently than cosmetic. In fact I probably get more injections than an average person. Plus my insurance pays for it.

• You will Look Like a lizard in a few years If you start playing with botox. Just Deal with your Body falling appart Like everyone does. Physical Activity and healthy diet makes you Look the best way.

• Ummm that’s called going in the sun you silly person

• I get lots of both physical activity and healthy eating. It works, so does this.

I’m happy to be open about it instead of pretending I don’t do it. Many people get it and just don’t tell. Only when you go overboard or have a bad job can people tell.

I would rather someone tell me they do Botox than lead me to believe if I just drink enough water, eat veggies and workout that my skin will be perfect.

It isn’t true, there are other treatments out there but they all involve seeing a dermatologist.

• 5d

Did you consider retinoids and topicsl vit-c products before botox?

Callogen loss and slowed cell turnover rate is ehat causes aging in skin. Retinoids (topical vit-a) and vit-c can cause skin cells to become more active and biologically reverse aging organically.

Just wanted to let you know so you knew about that option as well.

• https://www.byrdie.com/long-term-effects-of-botox

The "bo" stands for "Botulism." The "tox" stands for toxin.

• Yeaaah I would never want someone to inject chemicals into my face and possibly paralyze it.

• I'm happy to hear that you're confident enough to admit to it. there are enough people who pretend. And also, that you like the results.

• 4d

Good lord there is some negativity here about what someone chooses to do with their face!
    Good on you for finding someone reputable and starting conservative. Hope you get the results you’re after

• Better get an experienced doc who knows exactly what to do from experience.

I pity the women who get a bad botox job or other cosmetic surgery done.

• Congrats I'm glad it worked out for you and I'm glad your ok.😀

• U have to do tha regurally later again again and again
    Its the same with silicon tits u gotta exchange it every 15 y

• Do not do it, you'll just regret it later

• That’s one thing I’ve never actually heard. It’s temporary and preventative. Some people get bad results from practioners who inject the wrong muscle but even that wears off.

• And if you do inject it into a muscle, you pretty much hurt the muscle with an actual poison...
      Which is fucking stupid...

• You should maybe go to med school, this seems to be a real interest for you.

• Do you have a husband

• To look fab.. I just got veneers this year

• Once you start you are there for life !!!

• Actually not true! The more you do it the longer it lasts between visits so the less you have to go. Know you facts

• You one decides to keep it up.

• Do what makes you happy

• Good take

• 7d

Wtf is this shit now

• Why? Is dangerous

• Very interesting mytake, thanks for sharing!

• 7d

Great

• Botox should be illegal.

Botulinum is the most acutely lethal toxin known, with an estimated human median lethal dose (LD50) of 1.3–2.1 ng/kg intravenously or intramuscularly and 10–13 ng/kg when inhaled.

• But it isn’t botulism it’s a harnessed and engineered version of it. Botox has been in use for about 35 or more years.

It’s safety record speaks for itself. The only part up for debate is scope of practice, which specialists should and shouldn’t be allowed to administer.

Some Family Practioners administer Botox and that really isn’t appropriate. Dermatologists or Plastic Surgeons are preferred.

But then you may go to a Plastic Surgeons office and have a nurse perform. Dermatologists usually do the injections themselves.

Biologics save lives. This one isn’t known for it but others do and have. My life was saved by a biologic that came with life threatening risks and was brand new to the market.

Who are you to say what should and should be FDA approved? My family doctor was nervous about me getting lasik yet fine with Botox.

• Interesting

• OMG, why am I not surprised?

• Great