Self Love Is Sometimes Hard To Practice. It Comes Down to Not Giving a F____ While Walking With Care In the World.

sejla

I haven't had exactly the same struggles as Demi Lovato but it has been a long road to accepting myself and realizing most likely I will always be a square peg in a round hole world and that's ok

I feel bad that it took almost 60 years to get there but that is just part of the circle of negative thoughts that can start going around in my head. An old bad habit. A brain slip that I have to catch and say stop poof be gone As Demi says it's beating yourself up mentally.

It comes down learning to not give a F____. about what people think about you or if they think you should act a certain way.

I'm not talking about flipping people off or being unkind but setting boundaries so we don't absorb other people's negativity or get connected with energy vampires or energy zappers if they are our friends.

We might back slide, make mistakes when we start changing ourselves and people might not be comfortable the new us or the true self we are exposing to the them.

It's easy to want to fall back into the cocoon or in some cases the fetal position of safety or chaos that we've become accustomed to but it is important not to be swayed by our pull back to familiarity or to conform to the people around us.

It can seem like our progress is slow or non existent in getting to where we want to be.
Why does everyone else move so fast toward their goal in an seemingly effortless way we might ask ourselves. The reality is we don't know what is going on in their head. For some they hide their self doubt very well. For others it is very easy to move forward but it isn't the same path we might be taking or at our own personal speed. Tiny, minisucle steps might be frustrating but eventually before you know it you will have arrived at the next step.

I think this is more of a pep talk to myself than anyone one else but hopefully my talking out loud will get some one else thinking about self love and care.

You see now I can only be myself and open book but not a doormat. I don't have footprints on my forehead as I used to say.

I continue to care for those around me who treat me with respect. Being nice is not a dirty word as long as you practice love and self care for yourself and set boundaries.

Don't let anyone rain on your parade.

Do you think you can give yourself some grace today?
Or maybe you can give someone else some grace today.

Post Note:
The last part of my post was a bit Kumbaya (a 70s reference)but the birds are chirping outside and Spring is coming so the world is good.

9
6

Most Helpful Girls

• bobalife
    I LOVE this take! 😄 The funny thing is I literally watched her music video today, a few of her come back I interviews, and being a Host on the Ellen Show with Justin Bieber was so enlightening haha. I agree with everything you said and I totally relate to it as well as Demi. She’s amazing, but I think she needed to go on that journey to find her sense of worth and learning to love herself the way she is. I think that goes for a lot of people including myself.

Like I definitely know and accept I’m an average human in all levels 😂 but I know I’m still a rare catch when it comes to being a good friend and significant other 😏👌🏻 It does get tiring to try to love me for me as Demi’s song goes, but the best thing is accepting and moving forward with a better head/heart to care for ourselves in the best way possible 😇
    Is this still revelant?
  • mynameisRIS
    Thanks for this post. I feel the same way you do and I'm still trying to figure everything out. To get in a better place with myself and work on self love I recently distanced myself from the people who are negative and drained my energy. Of course they aren't taking it well and don't like it but I feel better after my decision. Also, I'm still working on the negative thoughts part. They slip in from time to time sadly
    Is this still revelant?
    • sejla

It's good your getting a handle on it now. It will make things move more smoothly as you get older. For many adults hitting 50 is a shake up time. We distance ourselves from people close and not so close who no longer bring anything positive towards our lives. We start thinking about how we are going to spend the rest of our lives. I think it is great when young adults figure it out without having to wait half a lifetime.

Most Helpful Guys

• Meropatrick
    I learned from this creature self love. He always defends what is important to him (his cage, and weird looking toy). He follow me around the house to demand my attention, time, and human food. despite how fragile and small he is he defends himself and fight for what he wants even if he ended up being hurt. I learned a lot from a little bird.
    Is this still revelant?
  • Tunasub
    It's what its all about learning who you are as a person and learning to love oneself in order to give love and accept the love that is given in return...
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

47
  • DeeDeeDeVour

This world definitely needs more love.

• Browneye57
    Yes, of course. Practice 'outcome independence'. This is where you know in your heart of hearts that no matter how things go down, you'll be just fine, thank you.
    It comes from having success in life, and understand that it requires effort and hard work. No one is going to hand you anything.
    It is the ultimate freedom, to say and do whatever you think is right and good, and never worry about what might be.
  • Jltakk
    Self discipline is just as important if not more important. Too much self coddling and you become weak and frail mentally and emotionally.
    • sejla

It's a fine line between fostering confidence and building a selfish or weak human being.

• MrEaze
    I just think there should be a lot less judgement, if people could place judgement aside and be honest, every person knows the difference between right and wrong.
  • opnbuk59
    Don't love yourself how can you love others simple as that
  • captain_voidwalker
    My don't give a shit light went on years ago and I've been moving forward in my life at don't give a fuck speed
    • babymi

Yes don't give a fuck

• Ziggystar
    I really feel for you if it's taking you almost 60 years to realize this I just turned 49 and that's something I realized a long time ago it's called recognize identify and apply as you grow up you recognize things is going on around you as you get a little bit older when she recognize all of these things driver to identify what's going on around you in the world and once you got dinner fied everything then apply it what's things is what's happened to you you have been able to recognize identify and now apply but always remember don't let the past interfere with your future when you only have today and now to live for recognize identify and apply
  • babymi
    Not giving a fuck its a very important thing. Makes one moves forward
    • sejla

I agree. My daughter kept telling me I was doing too much for others. I finally realized that if I pulled back they usually would figure out how to get it done. I have helped under extreme conditions like a loss of a family member. I don't mind helping if there is some give and take to it.

• sejla

and it doesn't deplete my energies.

• babymi

Do the right thing , when when you can but don't do too much cause at the end a lot still will not appreciate

• hopefulecynic
    Well said!
  • bulletbob555
    Definitely become more accepting as we age
  • SecretGardenBlood65
    Good take