My Review of the 2012 Ford Fusion SE as a new driver

Whatthefluff
See the moonroof?
See the moonroof?

This is my first car, a 2012 Fusion SE. When it came into my possession last year, it had 237k miles on it. It now has 238,880. Talk about being driven.

This ten-year old sedan has little issues for all its use, and for it being a Ford. It's the simple sedan that's basically comfortable to drive.

The gas mileage is great. It's gas-only and I get around 26-29mpg depending on how it's driven. With the price of gas going up, this beats a minivan or Mustang.

Everything seems to be in functional condition save for the A/C compressor, which is apparently a common issue in the 2012 model with A/C problems in general (Freon, etc). Mine "decides" whether it wants to blow hot or cold air, and no matter when the A/C is turned on, it makes sound similar to tight belts. A new one should be coming by FedEx soon and all I have to worry about is a mechanic who can install it without ripping me off.

The 5-seater is modest in space compared to a Suburban, but unless you are carrying enough passengers to be in the bus lane it's not a problem. You won't be able to fit anything much larger than a coffee table in the back, but what do you expect for a sedan?

I'm slightly short and driving is generally comfortable for me. There are definitely blind spots, like when I am making a left-hand turn. These blind spots seem to affect taller drivers more.

To give you a feel for the interior. My seats are just fabric.

It's a no bell-and-whistles variety. There are no fancy backup cameras or lane sensors or heated seats. Although it does have an excellent Bluetooth system and sound quality. Whoever designed the sound system for this car did great work.

Mine in particular does unfortunately have some amount of noise, for example when I accelerate it may "buck" and I unintentionally rev it sometimes. This may just be due to the age of my vehicle, which has had no major engine replacement. For this reason, mine in particular is not legendary at accelerating. But I think it may be an age or even just an engineering thing, like how the Honda Civic is more supple than the established but slower Honda Accord- the Fusion is just on the "Accord" side.

Yes, it's nothing fancy, but a good car for a new driver, city driver, or anyone who likes a practical sedan. I've always been skeptical of Ford, but I've had good luck with this model in general. I don't expect it to last another ten years and predict the engine will die at some point in the next couple years. But for what it is, it's worth it. I'd compare it in terms of hardiness, gas mileage, size and general vibe to a Honda Accord without the nobleness.

Say what you will, but I dont mind driving a blue car! (The color is Blue Flame metallic, which seems to be Ford-only paint)
Say what you will, but I don't mind driving a blue car! (The color is Blue Flame metallic, which seems to be Ford-only paint)
4
1
1Girl Opinion
4Guy Opinion

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

14
  • hellomellow7
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I’ve seen a car same year as yours but have been skeptical about going for a test drive because it’s a Ford and it’s high mileage. But after hearing your story it kinda makes me think twice about maybe going to check it out. If I do buy it it’ll be my first car too! 😁
    Like 1 Person
    • I'd honestly recommend it even though I definitely trust Honda or Toyota more. The resale value for this vehicle is actually up there.

• exitseven
    Good job. My wife's Ford Escape has the same engine. It seems pretty powerful for a 4 cyl. Too bad Ford decided to discontinue this. Now that gas is over 5 bucks a gallon a lot of people would prefer a small sedan instead of a big SUV.
    Like 1 Person
    • Oh yeah, sedans are the best. It's powerful enough considering mine's use. :)

• @exitseven What did FORD discontinue? That particular engine?

• exitseven

@Jamie05rhs they discontinued making sedans. They do not make the Taurus or the Fusion or any of the other cars they used to make. The only car they still sell is the Mustang. They want to just sell SUVs and pickup trucks.

• The_Shadow_Dweller
    You having a car at an age of 19 in itself is a big feat for me, at least. Congrats for that!
    You review was amazing. Any user wanting to get one will find this extremely useful.

I personally like Ford Figo, and it is the only car I like from Ford. Others that are available in the Indian market are not that much to be honest.

I like Honda Civic look. Its really attractive. From Honda, in India, Honda City is the one that I really liked.

How did you manage to get a car, get married at so early of an age?
    I am really baffled by it.
    Like 1 Person
    • I did not pay a dime for the car due to my boyfriend's family. Luckily enough. But we will eventually need a second car so I'm trying to save up right now to get a used.

• What about marriage?

• Oh my god. You are 19 and I am 21. And I am feeling like the most junior person in front of you right now.

• Jamie05rhs
    Nice take. I have driven a Ford Fusion before and I really liked it.
    Like 1 Person
  • Talkingtotheone
    it works
    Like 1 Person