🦚🦚🦚 7 Facts About Peacocks 🦚🦚🦚

🦚🦚🦚 7 Facts About Peacocks 🦚🦚🦚

1. A collective term for these birds is “peafowl.” The males are “peacocks” and the females are “peahens.” The babies are called “peachicks.”

2. The male peachicks don’t start growing their showy trains until about age three. In fact, it’s hard to tell the sex of a peachick because they’re nearly identical to their mothers. At around six months, the males will begin to change colour.

3. About 3000 years ago, Phoenicians imported different species of peacocks to Egypt and used them for a variety of purposes, particularly decorations.

4. Even though peacock appears bright in colour, it’s not as bright as it looks. In fact, peacocks are brown in colour, and their colour often changes due to the reflection of light, which is the secret of their exquisitely colourful feathers.

5. Peacocks are the best fighter when it comes to fighting with snakes. They can not only prey on young snakes, including the poisonous ones, but they also do not let snakes enter their territory.

6. Peahens –female peacocks – don’t play well with others. They may be pretty and colourful, but they don’t mix well with other domestic birds.

7. They originally lives in forests and rainforests. And they mostly still feel more comfortable there.

🦚🦚🦚 7 Facts About Peacocks 🦚🦚🦚

#AmazingAnimals

#Peacock

721
RedRobin is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• Very interesting now i know what a Peacock , Peahen, Peachicks are
    I always thought only the Peacock existed. Thanks for sharing this
    with us well appreciated.

• I like how peacocks roam around my local zoo and entertain everyone with their great eyes.

Most Helpful Girls

• Wow great take

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 19

• Yup. They make a cry that many mistake for a woman in distress/pain. Occasionally there is a false alarm call to the police about it.

I was around them as a teen when visiting my grandparents, who had a small walnut and fruit tree farm, and now I live in a very suburban area that 20 years ago was just rural fields and a few farm houses, and one of those houses is a mile from me and the have peafowl. The make tons of noise and they look crazy on the rare occasions that they fly.

• You didn't mention they are loud as fuck. My neighbours growing up had a mated pair and they were awful. Beautiful birds or the males anyway but they were loud, pooped everywhere, and like most birds wanted to be up high so they could look over everything. This often meant the roof of the house. They're also pretty big, or bigger than I thought they'd be.

Not impressed with them I have to say.

• They are wild where I live and I always have them in my yards. Surprisingly the wild peacocks hang out near me but stay about 50-100' away. I think they sense that I give them protection somehow. They roost in my trees. I appreciate the facts of your take especially the one about fighting venomous snakes because I also have plenty of those.

• I learned something. I thought they were all supposed to be called peacocks. They should bring back the term cock for the so-called rooster, since it's the hen that roosts. It's not obscene if it's said in the proper context.

• I've only seen a peacock one time in my life. I was around 10 years old I'm not sure what it was doing there and startling actually. We live out in the country and have plenty of walking trails around property. Heard some rustling and sure enough, there was a peacock walking around. Never seen it anymore after that.

• 4d

that is pretty awesome! brown peacocks... never thought of that! Fun facts! Thank you for sharing!!

• I did not know that they were fiercely territorial, and excellent snake fighters.

• Fact nine I kept peacock feathers in a cheap vase... not gay at all...

• Awesome! Where do you research?

• Interesting myTake.

• Great myTake

• Amazing looking critters.

• Lol peaCOCK

• Nice information

• Sweet take.

• Ok...

• Informative

• 8. Peacock herl, the iridescent strands from the peacock's tail feathers, are great for tying trout flies.

🦚🦚🦚 7 Facts About Peacocks 🦚🦚🦚

What Girls Said 5

• We have wild peafowl all over in East Pasadena and Arcadia. It's really cool to just see them out and about.

• I’ve never seen a brown peacock. When I was a kid they used to let the peacocks roam around. I saw an albino one go into the gift shop.

• I love them! I have their feathers all over my home.

• Very cool I didn't know that

• Very good MyTake.