Everything You Need to Know About Friend Zone

Hola mi amigos! This is a little different myTake. Maybe some of you think friendzone does not exist. Yeah, well, it does in some peoples head.

Why you are in the "friend zone"

This needs a little deeper digging. How did you two meet? How well do you know each other? Why have you not made a move yet?

There is a difference between a friendship and a romantic relationship. So why is it so hard to understand why you are only friends with them? You are only friends with them because you are too coward to do anything. It might also be they tell you "we're just friends", because you made your move too sudden without any warning. Basically, you are not trying enough.

How to get out of that

If you wanna charm a person you need to slowly give them hints and flirt a little. Do not make it too obvious too soon. Be patient, it is a slow progress. Have you ever watched Friends? Just look at Monica and Chandler:

If they are not feeling the same after trying to get closer to them, they most likely just will not change their mind about you. In this case, why do you want to be their friend? Is it enough for you? You can also walk away because it is usually just awkward to stay friends with someone that you feel so much more towards. Torture. So... There is no "friend zone" if you are not letting there be. It is all in your head.

You have to accept that not everyone is going to like you in the romantic way even if you would be an amazing friend and a great person. Do not hang around and cling to something for too long, getting all bitter at the same time. Be brave, make your moves and accept the truth.

Instead of friend-zoning

If you feel like your friend has feelings towards you but will not talk about them or make a move, you can bring it up. You do not have to be hard on them - just feel the air.
How to tell if your friend loves you?

Value THEM as a person more than the friendship you have to help them get out of the situation, if you do not feel the same for them. This is important! Do not make them suffer just because you enjoy their company.

625
whyisitso is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 25

• 5d

There’s no such thing as a friend zone, it’s basically the ugly zone, it’s where people (men and women) put people of the opposite sex who are good people but not aesthetically pleasing to them.

Everyone in a “friend zone” basically just needs to know that the person you like thinks your ugly.

• 4d

So you think your friends are ugly? I think you are ugly, at the inside at least.

• 4d

Where the fuck did I say I think my friends are ugly? Oh yeah.. Nowhere...

And I am very ugly inside and out. Yes.

• 5d

I am of the opinion the Friend Zone requires initiation of one party and acceptance of the other to actually take effect. In other words, one side can state they just want to be friends, but the other side does not have to accept it. They can reject that idea and walk away. Thus they were never actually "friend zoned".

I feel this is important as one of the common feelings the "friend zoned" person has is a sense of powerlessness. If they understand that they DO hold power in this negotiation, and exercise that power when someone wants something undesirable from them, it makes the whole thing a whole lot less painful. They made a choice in the situation.

• 6d

Ah the classic double standard. However, I don't think it really is possible to get out of the friendzone on your own volition. If they don't want to date, find a different person to put that effort into.

• 6d

if you find urself in the FZ, walk away from that person. bcs you'll be used as an emotional tampon, a should to cry on and so on. besides why torture yourself by being around a person that doesn't feel the same

• 5d

Any time a chick tries to friend zone me I blaze a happy trail. I have no desire to be an emotional tampon.

• 6d

Yeah true. I've been thinking about this lately myself. I think there is the attraction somehow you've forgotten to get your point across. I think when people say something about ruining the friendship. They should say that they just wonder if they still be friends if the person says no. If eventually it doesn't work out well that's whats always gonna happen or not. Think about how good it could be not how bad.
    To say you could ruin a friendship with sex is saying you could ruin ice cream by putting choclate on it.

• 6d

Your overcomplicating it based on your bias POV as a women with unconscious actions and rationalization create the friend zone.

Women subconsciously crave a strong man, mystery, a bit of nervous excitement around him, someone who flips the chase, and a man who is desirable by many women. A beta male obiter is none of that. He's weak, ever trying to please her, always trying but never getting, predictable with no mystery, and is not desired by other women.

Beta characteristics do not subconsciously strum the strings or make her panties wet.

That is the friend zone.

• 1d

why do i still look on this site when everything related to shit like this just pushes me down more mentally.

• 3d

Personally, I think it's what the definition of friendzone that really matters. I personally have been accused of "friendzoning" someone but it's just that I didn't see them as more than a friend, and wasn't overall attracted to them in that way. I also I guess have been "friendzoned" myself, but I feel people misinterpret this a lot. I am also a big advocate of that to be my lover, you also have to be basically my best friend, so I feel that the friendzone is just an excuse for some people who can't into relationships with specific people.

• 4d

... The Friend Zone definitely exists. I appreciate the premise of your message and what you're trying to help people feel, but I think it's incorrect.

• 4d

It does in your head. There is no relationship zone or sex zone, so what do you mean with friend zone? The fact that you accept being only their friend? Well, there is no such zone to be honest.

• 3d

Well... no, again, because since the other person isn't romantically interested in you... why would it *not* be the Friend Zone?

• 3d

@Anon-ymous1

I was and I did. My respect for myself outweighs my affection for some girl.

• 2d

i'll make this a little shorter:

if you feel like you are in the friend zone, stop being friends.

• 1d

"You are only friends with them because you are too coward to do anything. It might also be they tell you "we're just friends", because you made your move too sudden without any warning. Basically, you are not trying enough."

No, most likely you're only friends with them because they are not physically attracted to you.

I'm sorry but the fact that you'd take examples from tv-shows shows how detached this mindset this is. The truth is that people usually decide within the first 3 seconds whether they find someone physically attractive or not, so if you "charming" someone takes weeks or months before they will even go on a date with you then clearly they aren't very interested in you in the first place.

I completely agree with you about there not existing a "friendzone", no one is forcing you to keep being someones friends if you want something more but they don't. It's often just to move on completely and spare your own feelings.

• 5d

Normally a friendzone is a safety trigger for people who dont think the opposite sex will be a good partner

• 1d

How do you exit the friend zone?

Very simple, I look for someone who already likes me as a lover.

• 5d

been here so long, even the dust bunnies know me

• 6d

You put yourself there, the end!!!

• 6d

Interesting.

• 6d

great take

• 4d

Refuse the friend zone, NO FUCKING THANK YOU !

• 5d

So what do you suggest?

• 6d

Yeah Turkish subtitles😊

• 2d

So you said get them out of the situation? How and what are your recommendations for that? Your answer appears incomplete.

• 2d

Did you read the take?

• 1d

Ok, you meant the last part? Yeah, it is always depending a lot about the friendship and the relationship you have. Not very easy to just throw one way there. The thing is that you just start to talk and do not make it a tabu. In many situations you can just tell them you only see them as a friend and because that's not how they see you it is not possible you are friends anymore. (but this assumption you can not make yourself, you have to discuss that too)

• 1d

I have only seen one guy climb out of the friend zone and enter a relationship with a girl which is quite sad.

• 5d

Thank you for sharing this.

• 5d

If I am friend zoned, I just go away... I am not interested in being friends anymore because it's too weird and painful. Just leave them alone... and move on with your life.

• 4d

Yes, this is one option... but you know? you are not really "friend zoned" then.

• 2d

You still left. Trust yourself bro. It takes 2 to be friends.

• 2d

@Wammu You're right!

• 6d

Funny how women won’t do anything but aren’t “cowards”

• 6d

So you think this is directed only towards guys? I thought also girls can be in the "friend zone"

• 8h

I don't think you watched "Friends" too closely. In fact, Ross is the butt of the joke. And now I have to listen to a rant about what people mean and how they use words. Just like they don't know what they believe. A few people use definitions that are cruel to either sex. It is like people have it out for the other sex because of a bad experience with love. But the best definitions do not worry about the sex of the person being friendzoned.

You seem to be stuck on this idea that women "choose" the men they date and men somehow convince the woman they are seeking to like them back.

Create a poll. Because GaG is a screwy place. It really depends on the way you word the question. Maybe if you pretend the friendzone victimizes men or is apart of a feminist conspiracy, you might get more votes.

But out in the real world, things function far differently.

You surely do not see friendzoning as a positive thing. I don't know why you would pretend otherwise.

• 8h

So in summation, since you made a few assumptions about you, let me make some in return. I defined friendzone. You didn't accept my definition which just comes from popular culture. Your specific definition does not appear in writing anywhere else. It certainly does not reflect the Ross/Rachel relationship in "Friends". It is your own special definition where women do this far too often and it is negative thing. Your methodology for fighting against the friendzone is to somehow guilt women out of this supposed behavior.

The fact is that the friendzone is all about the person who is in it.

And the only reason I can imagine is because you have been in it a lot over your lifetime.

To that, I can only way your low self-esteem is not attractive. That is not the fault of the women you are attracted too.

Fix the problem, do what you must to overcome obstacles to happiness.

It is that simple.

What Girls Said 6

• 5d

Being friends with the opposite gender always ends up with one part wanting more if not both. It’s just nature and thank god, it is that way!

• 6d

Which I had more to add I was just friend zoned by a guy I was dating before but good intake.

• 7h

Hey guys let me share this with you briefly,
    Two years ago, I found out accidentally that he was texting this same old girlfriend, and I told him that if it happened again, it was a deal breaker.
    At that time, our children were still living at home so I decided to remain in the marriage. Now we are empty nesters..
    last month i came in contact with an old friend who introduced me to this guys almondhackings on gmal
    they helped me realize that my husband been having an affair with several other ladies through his phone text and fb..
    i cannot thank them enough than to introduce their service to people out there in such dysfunctional relationship..
    i now know where i stand in the relationship and we've resolved things thanks to almonds.
    you can also contact them directly whatspp on +16282043675
    ttf

• 6d

Interesting.

• 6d

Good take

• 5d

Its by accepting it. Respect their boundarys but dont loose hope at the same time. Be their friend and be loyal. Then show theme your good qualties and come into each moment w theme w a good mindset. they may have a change of heart if u do this bc it shows good character.

• 4d

There's only one problem with this. Women are very good at reading guys And some women will exploit this. "oh, i know he likes me so i'll keep feeding him just a enough to keep him hooked".
      If you can stand it stay friends. But it's best just to walk away. Have respect for yourself. And be the next woman's everything so she can what she missed.