How do you reject someone who's very delicate without hurting their feelings?

1617

Most Helpful Guys

• Searching for a way to reject someone without hurting his/her feelings is like looking for El Dorado. It doesn't exist.

For most people, their feelings *will* be hurt no matter how you phrase it. However, there are ways to help minimize the person's pain. The best way is to be direct and unambiguous. You can do so politely, but do it quickly and clearly.

Also, accept it if they don't want to hang around with you for a while, or even indefinitely. This doesn't make them bad people, it just means they are hurting in your presence.

If they reach out to you in friendship at a later date, then wonderful!

• Their feelings are not your responsibility. All you need to do is be honest about your lack of interest. Don't get into specifics, that never leads to anything good. "Sorry, you are sweet, I'm flattered, but I don't think it would work." is all you need to say. If they press you, say little more than "It's just a feeling and I don't see it changing."

Most Helpful Girls

• Come on, dont be delicate! Just tell them like it is

Its easier to be straight up and honest, save ya’ll both the time.

• let them know how extremely flattered you are and mention something like another time and place and maybe...

• 5 d ago

First part yes! It let's them know you appreciate their effort. That always makes me feel better it softens the blow of the rejection to follow.
      The second part NO! Absolutely not! Unless you really mean another time and place, maybe. Don't say it! Because the only thing you're giving him is false hope. Don't leave the door open unless you truly mean it. That's just mean.

• 4 d ago

I can understand that.