The Misconceptions About Atheism

Misconceptions about atheist are common everywhere. Trust me, you don't have to dig too much to find one. So without further of do, let's analyze the misconceptions of atheism

The Misconceptions About Atheism

1. "Atheism is a belief system that the universe was caused by the an explosion in space, we all evolved from an bacteria, there is no afterlife,and that there is no god."

The first thing we need to do to ensure that we're on the same page is to define what exactly an atheist is: "disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."

That's it. It's a lack of belief in a God. There isn't anything else we really share. So technically any religious person that doesn't believe in a god, well they're an atheist.

2. "Atheist are all left wingers and pro choice."

This is actually something I got once. What? I don't get people. Referring to point one, atheist are simply people that lack a belief in a god. That's it. We don't share much of anything at all.

3. "Atheist are atheist because they hate god and want to sin."

Look, atheist just don't believe in the existence of a god. We don't hate god because we don't think he exist. We might criticize the morality of the bible, but we don't hate him simply because we don't think he exist.

As for sinning, is the only reason of being moral just to avoid eternal punishment? Well let me put it this way. If you woke up one morning and learned that there isn't a god or an afterlife, would you go kill and rob everyone you meet? Of course not. It feels wrong, which is exactly why we don't murder and rob everyone we see.

Closing Statement:

Look, atheist aren't some sort of aberration. They're people, like everyone else. They're not constantly trying to rob or kill all people . So the sooner people can understand that, the better place the world would be.

524

Most Helpful Girls

• *Grabs popcorn and waits for explosive opinions of ultra religious people, which contain a lot of verses from religious texts*

• Mind if you share some? Enjoy the firework.

• @notenough Kinda funny how the first comment to this video is the link to the whole, unedited video with no sound when it stops spinning and it continues into the outer atmosphere where you see the round earth. Picking one fake, cut video and thinking it proves something is pretty retarded dude.

• Thanks for MHO! 😇😇

Most Helpful Guys

• "1.) You're wrong. ATHEISTS HAVE FAITH TOO!
    2.) You're wrong! Look at Christopher Hitchens! MODEL LIBERAL!
    3.) They obviously are. I know, because I know!"
    -Every Non-Listening Theist Everywhere

• @Ahsthen
      Not continuing a pointless conversation is quite different than running. Atheists are not positing anything, thus it's incredibly stupid to state they are taking anything on faith, or that you lack belief in their nonbelief.

• Exactly.

• LOL

yes because having faith means believing in something you do not believe in.

• I can't believe in this day and age people are still ignorants about atheistm. I would understand if it's in the 1980s but in this present day? Wow.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 3

• I worked with an Atheist. He was rude... up in your face. He called people stupid for believing in God. He would jump into conversations and insult people. He was a complete asshole. I worked with him everyday for 5 years... so I have a bad taste for Atheist.

• So was he a gnostic atheist? And he's probably a small minority of atheist. You probably met a ton of people you didn't know were atheist.

• Yes she's right, I don't believe in god.. I really don't go telling people off, but I do like to debate with who ever talks about religion on posts. You think you are a perfect gods child, yet you spread hate on anyone who doesn't believe in your beliefs. You can believe whatever you want. But you keep trying to brain wash people into believing in something that over billions of people have zero proof of "gods" existance. You think you are better than non religious people, and probably better than other religions. The only proof you have is a ancient book that's been passed down and modified. Oh and "faith". Till I see actual proof, I rest my case. I'm the end all that counts is to be a nice person, to be respectful with everyone.

• @Djaay I'm not an asshole, although I can be if needed. Im just strongly opinionated about certain subjects. You don't need to defend god because he's made up, by man. You don't need religion to be a good person. But you are allowed to believe I've in whatever you want as long as we don't hurt anyone in the process. So to each our own.

• Atheists just don't understand God.

Its like people who get math and people who don't.

doesn't mean they are a bunch of demons lol

I mean, the Catholics murdered like 50 million Christians, "witches" etc and the priests still lure and rape children.

• I think atheist have a pretty good understanding of the concept.

• You could PM me.

• Ok, just follow me back

• Im atheist

actually, I think.. Most important thing in my life is ' be human ' .
    A lot of people can't unsterstand to atheist.
    and on the other hand , people dont thing about it or dont call into question about ' religions ' . thats it.

people should think about it.

cuz , ' thinking ' is make us ' human '

What Guys Said 22

• How about #4: Athiests are ungrateful morons that wilfully choose to ignore the very being that gives them life, oxygen, sunlight and rain for crops to grow for they can have food on the table to eat?

Athiests like practicing other sins beside robbing and murdering people.

How about arrogant, rebellion towards God, going to strip clubs and watching porn which are lewd conduct seeing the nakedness of people, envy, lying, drunkness, bitterness etc?

Romans 1:18-32:

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

For this reason God gave them up to vile passions.

For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.

Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, notonly do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

• Except how do you know that? We have no evidence, which is why we don't think it's true. Same reason you don't think lizard creatures running the country is real.

As I said, we don't think he exist. So we can't rebel against him. I'm not really a porn user, but I don't object people doing it. Not my thing, but I don't oppose it.

Well here's the thing, how are they "clearly seen"? I mean it seems as if there isn't much to prove a god exist, let alone your's.

• You are proof that a lot of religious people are horrible people. You think your god will let you into heaven by treating and generalizing people like shit? If your god even exists, amongst the other gods, and he created us, why did he do such a bad job in creating us? Why are there so many criminals, bad people, diseases? Why do you people treat planet earth like shit? Everyone should get along, and take care of themselves and this beautiful planet that provides everything on our life. I bet you eat tons of meat, pollute and waste. Anyways, we should all just agree to disagree.

• People who have evidence for and of God always want to claim there's no scientific evidence. Yes, there's no scientific evidence of/for God. However, there's no scientific evidence to disprove God. There's spiritual evidence for God.

People tout their horns about needing to be scientifically proven. There's other ways to prove things other than by science. Science is not the only platform that shows proof of existence. The Bible is the Word spoken and those who have an understanding of Jesus and His righteousness knows that God exists. There's many false religions; atheism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Sikhism, etc. None of these religions focuses on man's need for salvation. We can not save ourselves.

Christianity is the true religion, if you want to claim it as a religion, because it shows how man can come to God and be forgiven of their sinful living and strives to be one with God as He gave us the Holy Ghost and tongues of fire to be a witness in this lost and sinful world. Christians know more about family life. Ever heard of an atheist with 9 kids so are against contraception and uses sex the natural way? No. Know why? Because Satan has filled their mind with perversion to use a man or a woman in a way that goes against His creative purpose. Women no longer desire to have fruitful wombs. Women nowadays want casual sex, try to prevent pregnancies and want only pleasure. Sex is a 2-fold union-ship: pleasure and fertility potential. The 2 are so tightly knitted that separating them makes you separate your sexual self and pollutes your sexual mind.

Atheists are so confused that they don't understand their need for salvation because after so long being deceived, Satan has fed them lies and they follow after seducing spirits and give heed unto them. Atheists are not in a mind to realize that they are lost because they won't challenge their life, as they feel there's no need to stay consecrated to God. How hard is it to consecrate a Holy and UN-blameable life unto Jesus. Jesus can save the atheistic thinker. Atheists are so arrogant and stubborn that they rather believe Satan than to be God. Demons tremble and greatly fear at the name of Jesus because demons know where the real power resides: Jesus. Jesus has the real power. He defeated death and the grave. People don't want to strive to be like Jesus as much as possible because it requires a lot and it will cost them friends and pleasures in life. The real reward comes after death.

• Atheist aren't satanist. Most of use don't think he's a thing. Look the only reason I'm an atheist is the lack of evidence.

That statement you put up doesn't prove anything. The Bible hasn't been proven to be reliable.
      And I doubt any of us heard of someone with 9 kids.

• Christianity is just middle eastern culture for European people. We would've been better off sticking to hellenism.

The only case you're making is about sociology, not a hard science. What about people who are traditionalist and nationalistic atheists? Richard Spencer is an atheist and a nationalist and a traditionalist. Not that I want him to represent me, but it's just an example of how different some people are from others. Not all atheists are the same.

Spiritual evidence is literally not a thing. There's no such thing as ghosts, dude.

• Well, if you wanted a dictionary definition, you would certainly be spot on. But I do think its fair to say that atheism has more pull on the political left. I'm not seeing the massive Commu-Mormon voting bloc. I also think that many atheists do accept the big bang and evolution, as seen when the most major of public atheists, like Richard Dawkins, belittle those who disagree with the in vogue hypothesis on the beginning of the universe and life. And we all love sin, I think that means a different thing for the speaker and the audience. There are things that we all do that are pretty bad which we'd write off without a higher morality even if we didn't go LARP Grand Theft Auto. One might not murder, but one might not be given as easily to forgiveness, one might not steal but would feel far fewer scruples about cheating or lying to get ahead without some sort of universal morality. I don't have much high ground as a recovering porn user, but I know that many atheists are more willing to dismiss using another person as a human sex toy. It's not about whether you run out and burn bridges, its about the day to day sort of morality, and oftentimes that seems to get thrown out by atheists.

Tl;DR You're right on the dictionary definition, but there are stereotypes for a reason.

• Umm, perhaps I misunderstood you, but did you claim that evolution has to do with the origins of life and our universe?

• @ladsin Yes, a hypothesis is a proposed explaination for a phenomena; life in this case. Do I particularly care whether God made life in 6 days or 6 billion years? No. But I see no reason to blindly accept evolution, it is a secular religion of sorts. Furthermore, yes, evolution if real is closely tied to the origin of life as we know it. Origins of Species and all that. The stardust in the popular theory now didn’t evolve because it couldn’t, not being alive, sure, but every species that ever existed would have to take part in evolution in some way to get is to where we are.

• Evolutionary THEORY is an explanation of the diversity of life on this planet. It does not have anything to do with the beginning of life.

Evolutionary THEORY is quite like the other scientific theories, Atomic theory, the theory of gravity, and the germ theory of disease.

• media.giphy.com/media/26BoDGStUAafwdZII/giphy.gif
    It's all dependant on what your definition of God is.
    If God is some grump old white dude with a beard that chills in the clouds then according to that definition all Muslims would be considered Atheists as they would out right reject a God like that.

If you believe the universe was created by something unknown to humans, and your definition of God is a creator of the universe, are you a theist or atheist?

Morality is subjective in a matter of speaking so one could argue that you do need religion to be a good person because religion defines good and bad. In the same way that the law defines Innocent and Guilty.
    Following the law out of fear of imprisonment does not make you less of a law abiding citizen in the same way as following God's law does not make you less moral.

Also Muslims believe that all people are born believing in God and it is their social upbringing that forms their beliefs and which can also corrupts them.
    Which is why so called atheists do not kill and steal (generally speaking). Corruption is what leads someone to sin.

• "If you believe the universe was created by something unknown to humans, and your definition of God is a creator of the universe, are you a theist or atheist?"
      So if you lack a belief in a god, then you're an atheist. I would categorize that as an agnostic atheist. You don't believe there is a god, but you don't know. You're only on that position because there is a lack of evidence for a claim.

"Following the law out of fear of imprisonment does not make you less of a law abiding citizen in the same way as following God's law does not make you less moral. "
      But it does beg the question of is that what a good person is? Should your moral code just be about avoiding punishment?

• Again it depends on what your definition of God is, what is it that atheists lack a belief in? Obviously this question is subjective as not all atheists share the same understanding of God.

From one Islamic perspective there are generally three types of worshippers, those who worship out of fear of punishment, those who worship for God's reward or pleasure and those who worship or submit to God because God is the only one worthy of worship.
      The third type is usually considered the better of the three, and there is of course overlap. You're not limited to just one type.

Should your moral code just be about avoiding punishment? Certainly not, at least not from the Islamic perspective.
      But even still, worshipping out of fear does not make someone "less moral" than an atheist simply because they follow a particular law. That is an absurd claim and logically unsound. Also, on what basis are they less moral? it's a contradictory statement.

• Well I just want to address the first point. Theists are not people who believe in God.

They are people who lack a belief in the non-existence of God. So it isn't a belief in God. It is just a lack of belief that God does not exist.

• Hail Eris!

• I see you've snared one. That's okay, I gave up on laddie...

• Oh wait, I see he bailed. That was a good run, though. He still has no idea how cornfugled he was.

• The problem is that people assume that a firm believe in God is the only source of moral and if you don't believe in him, you must be a bad person.

Also believing in god makes you think you are smart cause you got an answer for everything. It's funny how they accuse atheists of being a know-it-all when really we admit not knowing everything. That's the point of atheism to not just explain everything with a magical ruler in the sky, cause that can hardly be any true.

• Yeah, a lot of people don't understand atheists.

They keep thinking atheism is a "religion" of some sort. The lack of faith is so unnatural to these people they have to believe that the other people must "blindly believe" in something just like them - except it's the wrong thing.

It's like people used to think number zero couldn't possibly exist. How could nothing be something?

• Atheists are the flipside of the coin. Reggies say it is, atheists say it ain't. Some few of the latter may say they just don't believe in a theistic circumstance, but most are saying, 'you can't tell me what to do!'

Unask all of it. The right answer is; WHO THE FUCK CARES?

A secondary right answer is along the lines of, 'I hope there's a god... and I hope he or it or whatever the fuck comes right down here next to me... so I CAN PUNCH IT IN THE FUCKING HEAD. For being so stupid.

• If there is no God, then there can be no pagodas. For you cannot spell pagoda without God.

• I'll answer your three points.

1) If you don't believe in God fine. But you must have some belief as to how the world was created right? If no and you're just empty, then you're just a bumbling idiot and can boot out the conversation.

2) That statement was right. Many atheist are indeed left wing and pro-choice, that's where that stereotype comes from. So if one assumes that, can you really blame them for assuming?

3) This one is 100% accurate. If I woke up one day and there's no God, I would break down store windows and steal TVs and Xbox Ones like the leftists black lives matter chimps did! And you can't tell me I'm "wrong" for it 😈

• 1. I'm talking atheist in general. If you ask me personally, I go where the evidence goes. And so far, I think that the Big Bang is true. But if there was a better explanation that is proven, then I'll change. All one need for me is evidence.
      2. Yeah, but to claim that we're all left wingers because we're atheist is just flat out wrong.
      3. So let me get this straight, you're only good to avoid going to hell and just because God told you so? Isn't that a stage 2 morality? So you think there's absolutely nothing wrong with it outside of the fact that you'll go to hell for it?

• Look it up. He clearly promotes Christianity and despises atheism. You could find his speech and writings that indicates it.

• @Harsh_5299 Well I think that people have empathy.

A lack of respect would be doing it without his permission.

I'm just pointing out their lack of knowledge.

Look, just because we need it [which I highly doubt], doesn't mean that's the nature of morality.

• Atheism comes from Latin I believe. it theism comes from deus which means god, 'a-deus' or atheist would mean without god. Thats all it ever meant and ever will mean.

• It comes from ancient Greek and it USED to mean that. Languages evolve and meanings of words change or do you still refer to all food as meat and amazed people as stupid?

• Oh it is semantics, but saying "atheism means without god and that's all it will ever mean" is simply a wrongful statement, as I proved :) have a good day!

• @just_tired As believing in or being with is just a matter of semantics you didn't prove anything :) have a beautiful day my friend!

• Great Take all though I personally couldn't care less what religitards think/believe. Logic isn't they forte.

• Love when they threaten going to hell, like I believe it exists.

• Atheism is just another religion...

• A religion is a system of belief. Atheism is a lack of a belief.

• I guess you'll find out one day, enjoy your decision...

• @rockrewls @Deatheaider You are both wrong lol. re·li·gion
      rəˈlijən/Submit
      noun
      the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

a·the·ist
      ˈāTHēəst/Submit
      noun
      a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
      ;)

• More like gaytheism amirite?

• Interesting myTake

• atheist are retards

• Why would you claim that?

• 1) BUILD A TOWER
      www.paperspencils.com/.../...-babel-19-jun-091.jpg

2) BREAK through THE GLASS
      i.ytimg.com/vi/sky5pzl9yaQ/maxresdefault.jpg

3) DRAIN OUT THE WATER
      4.bp.blogspot.com/.../NOah%2527s+ark+.gif

4) BREAK through THE OTHER GLASS
      AND THERE YOU CAN SEE GOD

5) YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE GET TO WORK

GENESIS 11
      And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto THE DOME
      we will kill GOD and make a name for ourselves

• YOU CAN'T DO THE SAME SHIT AGAINST ME CAUSE I WILL LITERALLY TELL YOU WHAT TO DO TOO SEE GOD WITH YOUR OWN EYES

GET TO WORK I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR EXCUSES

• Atheists are people who jump into other people's conversations and insult their ideas about deity. Why should an Atheist do that when you simply can keep your ideology and let someone have their own ideology? I don't like Atheists because of that one reason.

• Is it insulting if we just pointed out bad reasoning?

• And people like you are the reason I don't usually tell people I'm an atheist.

• What I don't get is that religious people think it's wrong of atheists to explain their point of view to them. I also would never Insult them because I simply accept their religion and beliefs. But I think it's not that nice of someone religious to get me to share their point of view and tell me otherwise I'm going to burn in hell. This really happened to me once.

• So this isn't true. In the old world prior to Huxley's "reinvention" of the term A- theism, like any "A-" word in greek, meant to actually be against the deities.

Non- theism, like any "non-" word was the term used for a lack of belief in a deity.

The fact that they got merged allowed for the term "A-"theism to expand to a huge group of people that were really nontheist. The value of this was indeed completely political. Huxley is also the one who popularized "A-" gnosticism which is a bastardized term of "gnosis" or "to know" in Greek.

There's a lot to discuss on the matter but ultimately the world is being duped by someone who died years ago and managed to get a term to stick.

• Well most atheist lack a belief in god, not believe there are no gods.

• Knowledge and belief are separate. Faith is belief in something without direct evidence. If there was direct evidence, faith would not be necessary, there would just be knowledge.

Deism
      noun
      1.
      belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism ).
      2.
      belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it.

And regarding the last points.. yes, exactly! There's a lot of words to describe stance on deities and religion because they are needed. That's exactly what the evolution of languages is about, describing things more accurately. This is why atheism is commonly understood to mean lack of belief in deities and anything beyond that can be described with other words.

• https://www.iep.utm.edu/knowledg/

This is a page to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy regarding what knowledge is. This is long but it is required to talk about how knowledge and faith actually intertwine.

https://www.iep.utm.edu/faith-re/

This is the page on Faith and Reason. Again, required reading to even begin to hold the conversation on a serious level. Understanding what faith is isn't a matter of popular public understanding because the number of things that you have faith in are exceedingly numerous but for some reason it only comes up when discussing religion. And by "some reason" I mean "it's been engineered that way in relation to scientific method in the global society at large".

Also, you should probably actually look up Deism. It's not a simple definition.

I need to go do something important. See ya bro.

• Would you say that you'd empathize with the central protagonist of Youjo Senki then? Even if some divine, impossibly superior, nigh-omnipotent and nigh-omniscient being came to you, stopped time and cast divine judgement upon you, would you still refuse to acknowledge the divinity of the said being, refuse to accept it as "God", and repeatedly tell it to fuck off?

• Well of there's sufficient evidence for X, then I consider X real.

• But would you consider it to be God? Would you worship it? Just because superior beings existed, it wouldn't automatically make them Gods; because what defines a deity is the fact that individuals choose to deify them. If you chose not to deify that being, even if you're less than a microbe in comparison to it, then it wouldn't be your God, and as such, you could both acknowledge its existence and remain a steadfast atheist. And in the same way, it's also impossible to disprove the existence of others' Gods; because there are individuals who'll deify literally anything, and a God doesn't have to be any more real than a concept, nor any more powerful or enduring than a gust of wind. Deification exists. Thus, Gods exist. One cannot refute this fact. However, being an atheist doesn't mean that one doesn't believe in the existence of others' Gods. It merely means that we choose not to deify them as they do.

• People can defy things they think exist.

• More from Guys
    2