My Opinion on the Conflict Between Religion/Spiritualism and Atheism

As someone who is Catholic but more spiritual than religious, I tend to see more things that go on in the Christian community that non religious or people of other religions don't notice. I'll be using the phrases "anti-theists" to describe atheists who constantly attack religion. I know not all atheists have a problem with religion that's why I'll try to avoid using the word "atheist" in this take.

1.) Just because Christians have similar faiths, doesn't mean we all see eye to eye

People always assume that all people of Christians faiths are united as one. That couldn't be further from the truth. In reality there are a lot of cracks within the Christian community. Some people might interpret the bible one way and others another way. For example some people might believe that pleasuring yourself is a sin while others will say it's not as long as it doesn't control the person's life. Some claim the bible says that the world will "end" others say it won't exactly but there will be changes.

2.) Not all Christians are zealots

Anti-theists always like to claim that Religious people(specifically Christians) don't use logic or "science". That's incorrect, in fact most Christians and religious people are open to using science. In fact, even the Vatican has a group of Astronomers working for them.

3.) Provoking actions

Anti-theists often accuse religious people(mostly Christians) of being intolerant, sexist and hostile but in reality most Christians are not like that. What I've noticed is that anti-theists intentionally attempt to anger Christians by insulting them. Yet those same atheists become hostile when Christians speak out against those atheists. I respect anti-theist's right to criticize religion but anti-theist should also respect religious people's right to defend themselves. You can't actually think that people can constantly berate a group of people and not expect them to defend themselves.

4.) Scapegoats

One thing that anti-theists do is blame all their problems on religion. They blame religion for starting wars. I don't know if they realize that not all wars are over religion. Wars are also over ideology, resources, territory, ambition and to overthrow tyranny. So it's very foolish to blame war on religion. They blame religion for all the bloodshed that happened throughout history. When not every atrocity that happened throughout history was over religion.

5.) Religion vs. cults

Anti theists often try to lump religion and cults in the same catergory. While certain religions use to have "cult like" elements many years ago, The truth is they are different. A cult usually has illegal elements, religions don't. A cult tries to force people to join them through fear and threats, most religions don't try to force their views through violence. Cults live in some kind of compound and control the lives of their followers. Yes I know there are some bad apples in certain religions who go too far but they do not represent religion as a whole

6.) Neither side has a clean history

Whether you are religious or atheist, you have to realize neither side can claim to have a clean history. Both sides have had their dark moments in history. Christianity has the mark of the inquisitions, while atheism has the mark of Communism(Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Castro).

7.) You can't change everyone

Whether you are religious or anti-theist, you have to understand that you can't force everyone to think like you, it's like politics or sports everyone sides with one side and don't like being labeled as the "bad side". If you're atheist, respect religious people's right to believe what they want, if you're religious then respect atheists' right to not believe. This is called tolerance.

8.) Not every religious person is a bigot

A lot of anti theists assume religion is anti-LGBT and misogynistic but in reality most religious people are not like that. Yes there are some people who use religion to justify their bigotry but they don't represent religion as a whole. There are a lot of female Christians, yet you never hear them whine about "misogyny". There are a lot of LGBT people who are Christian or part of other religions yet you never hear those specific LGBT people complain about a anti LGBT sentiment.

9.) Not every Atheist hates religion

I've met many atheists who simply don't believe that divine powers exist but that's as far as they go, they don't care if people choose to have a religion or believe in God, they are still open to having religious friends.

10.) A lot of atheists are actually agnostic

There are people who call themselves atheists just because it sounds "cool". I've talked to some of these "atheists". I ask them if they are 100% sure there is no divine omnipotent power. They then say "I'm not sure? I need proof." I then tell them maybe they are agnostic and explain to them what being a agnostic is. That's when they say "alright, maybe I am agnostic". A agnostic is a person who believes there is no way of knowing for sure if there is a God or not. So they are basically people who are not sure if there is a God or not. One famous person who is said to have described himself as agnostic is Bill Nye.

11.) No matter your stance on religion don't give your side a bad reputation by doing stupid things

Not that long ago in Germany, a infamous feminist group known as "Femen" interrupted a Christmas mass by jumping on top of the Church altar while topless with the words "I am God" written on her abdomen. She was arrested afterwards. This kind of behavior gives your a bad reputation. http://www.crossmap.com/news/topless-pro-abortion-activist-leaps-on-top-of-altar-during-christmas-mass-in-cologne-cathedral-8225/print

Overall, I don't care if you are religious, only spiritual, agnostic, atheist etc. I don't discriminate, just remember that forcing your views onto others will not result in a reward, all it will do is anger the other groups who feel that their stance is being attacked. Just let people believe what they want or not believe anything. There is no need to force your views onto others.

521
ADFSDF1996 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 5

• 4d

This is the best take I have ever read on the subject so far!

And same for those that want to attack relgions different from their own.

People should have grown up already and realised all it really comes to is loving one another enough to respect our differences.

• 4d

I believe in God and in Bible but I believe in my own way.
    I also agree with every single word in your text.

*Sorry for my English

• 21h

I think religion is for morons who only think religious nuts have morals and everyone else is lost

• 1d

Good mytake.

• 3d

Very insightful!

What Guys Said 21

• 5d

Bro, I think you are really a smart dude who can articulate yourself great. However, I have a couple of things against this MyTake.

#1 "Some people might interpret the bible one way and others another way."

The Bible is clear that God's word shouldn't be mess with. The Bible interpts itself with scriptures.

People who like to "Interpret" God's word usually have agendas to do so.

#2: "Christianity has the mark of the inquisitions."

Big No NO bro. Wicked apostate Catholic Church did the horror of inquisitions.

The Lord Jesus didn't command anyone to torture others, like the Catholic Chruch did, not to mention how many fundamental Christians they murdered for refusing the Pope.

Lastly, a Christian can't be gay or a lesbian.

• 5d

1. if you take both books literally in the 1st world you are gonna have a bad time

. I can bet money that a few verses you read you interpret wrong. example "oh Lucifer son of the morning" that's not a pre-Genesis verse or even speaking of any being it was a hit piece on the king of Jerusalem at the time for falling out of Gods favor. you see tons of verses like this talking about such it happened for David too. the reason you think it's speaking of a fallen archangel or Seraph or whatever is due to what someone you listen to interpreted. along with the fact, satan and devil are titles and not names the original texts don't capitalize them. and are applicable to many "Demons" hell the church itself was known for making giant codex's of the demons of hell and many held such titles. so even if you say the book interprets itself your understanding is only due to that of your parents and sect. otherwise, you would know both of what I stated.

• 3d

@SteppingOnRoses: I respect everyone that respects me. And I have a right to criticize religions just like they have a right to criticize mines.

• 3d

as long as it is healthy criticism...

• 5d

Bro, I completely agree.

I've had christian friends and as an atheist, it really doesn't matter to me what their beliefs are.. I simply live my life as if there is no god, not as if there are not god-loving christians.

• 17h

I am an anti-theist by your definition in that I feel that theists, by promoting religiousity, injure others. At the same time, I don't attack theists who mind thier own business.

So, when do I "attack" theists? I attack thier arguments whenever they try to present their delusions as being logical or based on reality. If they are honest enough to say that they believe in one-day men who ride eight-legged horse, and that's their belief, I'm fine with that. It's when they try to present their poorly thought out "theories" as reality that I respond with facts that they find uncomfortable.

One BIG issue I have regarding religion is that I am forced to support their religion, but they refuse to acknowledge that. If a religious edifice is exempted from paying taxes then everyone elses taxes have to be raised to compensate. That means that everyone pays for that religious edifice to go tax-free. Theists hate to acknowledge this reality.

As for your take, I disagree with several of your points. I will not go through them all, but one that is simple to refute is this one:

"certain religions use to have "cult like" elements many years ago, The truth is they are different. A cult usually has illegal elements, religions don't. A cult tries to force people to join them through fear and threats, most religions don't try to force their views through violence. Cults live in some kind of compound and control the lives of their followers. Yes I know there are some bad apples in certain religions who go too far but they do not represent religion as a whole"

First
    "A cult usually has illegal elements, religions don't."
    Has two problems. 1) the use of the word "usually" it would be more correct to say 'sometimes' and inasmuch as that is so, that 'difference' is no difference at all. 2) Religions have usually had the time to condition society into accepting acts that would otherwise be illegal, thereby making them legal. A simple example was communion wine. During prohibition wine was illegal... unless you were running a religion in which case you were exempted. Hey presto! You're not breaking the law.

All religions, including Christianity, began as cults. Religions are just very big, old, socially accepted cults. There is nothing that you can point to that can differentiate between the two unless you use "weasel words" like usually, frequently, sometimes.

• 16h

When I say cults, I'm referring to the cults that scam people. I'm aware that all religions started as "cults" but the difference is that religion as we know it today has come a long way while cults don't last long, just look at the "heavens gate" cult for example.

• 15h

The coining of the term is attributed to professor Antony Flew, who gave an example of a Scotsman who in his 1975 book, Thinking About Thinking, wrote;
      “”Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Glasgow Morning Herald and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again". Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing". The next day he sits down to read his Glasgow Morning Herald again; and, this time, finds an article about an Aberdeen man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion, but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says: "No true Scotsman would do such a thing".
      Thus, when McDonald is confronted with evidence of a Scotsman doing even worse acts, his response is that "no true Scotsman would do such a thing." This denies membership in the group "Scotsman" to the criminal on the basis that the commission of a heinous act.

• 15h

I never said every religious person is good.

• 4d

So to summarize, there are good and bad people on both sides.

• 15h

I enjoyed reading this take, too bad a lot of people don't really want to hear the message behind it though.

• 2d

Intriguing Mytake

• 3d

I'm a Christian who became Christian last year after being a lifelong Atheist and because of my reflection from being an Atheist I've really come to understand that people believe what they want to believe and most debates about such topics really lead to nowhere. Trying to get along with them is really the only thing that works for me and after all my entire family and friend circle are Atheist so I just have to deal with it. I just prefer to avoid the topic of religion unless I'm speaking with other fellow Christians.

• 5d

1, we know

2. that is true but the catholic church is the Lord of Hypocrisy. you guys have a library of works that completely contradict your main book that you edited and made.

3. come to America. Christians have always been on the other end of progress always trying to halt it. not atheists. Christians. and a large portion is still intolerant and the ones who are not. is because we changed the social fabric that made them not

4. it is a scapegoat religion is not the blame of every conflict. however, in the past, it was the reason for at least 80% of it or was used as a scapegoat to promote war. read the bible.

5. sigh*, read up on Christian history you guy's did force people to join you for a long long time. Christianity especially the fucking papists did not become number one by the truth of their word but by the edge of their sword. the ONLY reason you don't know is due to the reformation and again us changing the social fabric that makes it frowned upon so you have to cherry pick.

6. that's a fallacy. atheism has no doctrine so an atheist killing million's is doing it for their own agenda even if they see it as spreading the truth. while religions have doctrines and many of which including Christianity promote such actions and encourage such. it's why you can only site 1 or 2 atheist dictators mainly from communism which in and of its self is a religion. while the atheist is stating a lack of evidence for a God that is it. it gives no stance on anything else. what you do with that knowledge is not connected to atheism as atheism is just accepting 1 possible fact as current truth unless evidence proves otherwise.

7. yes but we can, however, keep your ideals only in church and your home and your head. and bring education and progress many of you would wish to silence and stop. there will always be naive children who back an idea whether it is in service to some "God" or to some idea like Nazism. there will always be doctrine people follow and back because people are sheep

8. and every religious person is then a hypocrite as you doctrine backs bigotry openly I can cite it now. the ones who are not are cherry pickers and hold such a stance due to OUR work

• 5d

9. no many of us do not "hate religion" hate is a strong word. many of us strongly dislike it however for what it does to people

• 5d

example of allegory.

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

true meaning,

a hit piece on the king of Jerusalem at the time for falling out of Gods grace's
      verses like this are spread commonly through the bible this one is simply the most poetic out of them. furthermore, Lucifer is a Latin word showing this was not an original verse

the earlier verses state o day star, not light bringer.

yet people like you take this as a pre Genesis literal verse and take the asking forgiveness as allegory is just laughable

• 5d

Matthew 5:30 is another allegory. The bible is meant to represent current scenarios, as the years go Christians look at a different passage that symbolizes whatever is going on.

• 2d

True. A lot of christian denominations throw out whatever parts of scripture they don't like.

• 3d

Interesting Mytake

• 1d

Thank you for this mytake

• 3d

Another religious internet war...

• 2d

This was very sound and insightful. Great job and thank you. I learned something today.

Now back to bed.

• 3d

This seems more like Christianity vs atheism. There's other religions in the world you know. That's why I became atheist in the first place.

• 3h

i dont agree on the point of religion not causing war... its just that people worship money more than gods nowadays but other than that... a great take

• 5d

Wow how informative.

If only people could study Islam to learn it's true purpose. That is bound to happen eventually.

• 4d

you make good points but of course there is a middle-ground for everything. you tend to be thinking in terms of extremes.

• 5d

#6 is inaccurate. Communism and athiesm are not inherent to one another.

• 4d

They're not inherent to eachother, but Communism is inherently Atheist. Kind of like how not all Christians are Catholic, but all Catholics are Christian. Of the societies that tried out Communism, only Atheists continued using it. If a culture has religion and try out Communism... they move onto a better system. The early settlers in America tried out Communism. They planned a communist society and quickly found out it wasn't working. It's something that sounds like a good idea, but doesn't work in a free society.

• 4d

You win. I'm pooped

• 1d

@rjroy3 I hate you, I hate fucking Christians. I hate rich people. Why did Kim Kardashian get a rich father but I got a bum who was in debt? The CIA want us to believe this shit. Christians don't give a shit about justice in the real world because you think poor people will go tomheaven when they die, bollocks. That's what the CIA want us to believe. This life is all there is, we need to kill all the millionaires and create a society of justice and equality here in the real world.

• 2d

I used to be tolerant against atheists but over the years I detest them now. Most of them are fat neckbeards/low IQ retards because they prayed for a billion dollars when they were younger and didn't get it LMAO.

• 11h

sensitive issue nice one

• More from Guys
    1