My Take on the Fear of God

jennifer_bloom
My Take on the Fear of God

To me, the fear of God involves believing that all human beings are equal and that God is greater than all human beings.

Today a friend told me she was worried she might be homeless one day because she is disabled and my response was, the chances of that happening were very low because of food banks and Salvation Army used clothing stores that could help her save her rent money and church donors that could provide her with support and I think she was disappointed by my response.

She probably wanted me to say that she could live with me if she became homeless but I did not say that because she wasn’t a funny, intelligent, and handsome man like the guy I want to marry. This fear came over me when I realized I was ready to deny housing accommodation to a disabled girl because she was neither intelligent nor funny, and that I favoured the guy I like because of his intelligence and good looks.

So to me, fearing God means treating all people as equal and caring for the needs of all who deserve it, not just those who are beautiful or intelligent or rich. I don’t do this all the time, but God is helping me to start doing that.

My Take on the Fear of God
2
1
1Girl Opinion
2Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• horsenrhinounicorn
    It's a great topic of discussion and of great importance to reflect on. Often times our brothers and sisters in Christ have needs that we don't always see, but God knows the true needs. What we do know is that we can seek the Lord by presenting our requests before him, our friends may not know their true need, but the Lord knows. I have often made the mistake of giving people what they ask for, and the Lord sometimes shows me later that I approached that person trying to do a good deed under my own merit, but I should have sought the Lord first to do the best actions.

Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 8:13 - The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Job 28:28 - And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

Psalms 33:8 - Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.

Proverbs 14:27 - The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Proverbs 14:26 - In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.

Deuteronomy 10:12 - And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,

Luke 1:50 - And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.

Psalms 34:9 - O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.

Matthew 25:35-40 - For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'LORD, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'
    (I have also made the mistake of letting people into my home to stay and their presence became an influence, inference and spiritual war; seeking the Lord first will have the best outcomes and provide the greatest fulfillment of the person in need).
    2 John 1:8-11 Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take them into your house or welcome them. 11 Anyone who welcomes them shares in their wicked work.
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

11
  • petitedollbabee
    If you’re living your life in fear of god, then you’re not really living YOUR life, are you. If you’re not doing what is best for your needs and how you want to live your life, you’re going to be miserable. I don’t think god would want you to be miserable. I think god would want you to help people when you have the financial means and availability to do so, but also help yourself to live a good life around that. There’s no point in making yourself miserable and living a poor life just so that god is happy. Just my take on the whole “fearing god” thing.
    Like 1 Person
    • Treating others as equal and treating them with kindness can easily be done without putting others needs before your own.

• Equi2ube

You missed the point. 'Fear of God doesn't mean to be afraid, but to live one's life with reverent respect and obedience to one's creator.

• bean2k21
    Whatever floats your boat.