Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

SilenRose

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard

A couple of days ago I came across some unsual delicacy's I found both interesting and disgusting. Personally I would'nt eat them but I still found it interesting and wanted to share it here on GAG.

Sea Urchins

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

Sea Urchins are mostly eaten in coastal areas and around the mediterranean. It's eaten by cracking open the spiky shell, scooping out the orange creature, and eating it alive.

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

Baby Eels

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

According to Chef Raymond Blanc he ate this meal at a restaurant in Japan. When asked by the DailyMail what the strangest dish was he has ever eaten he responded with "Live eels in Japan. We were advised to add vinegar and sake - which made them jump around - then you swallowed them whole. They jiggled around in my tummy!"

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything to verify the claim that such a dish exist through my quick google search. The image below is of boiled baby eels.

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

Ikizukuri

Ikizukuri is the "preparation of sashimi made from live seafood. The most popular sea animal used in ikizukuri are fish but octopus, shrimp, and lobster may also be used."

~ Breathing Fish

With this dish the fishs mangled body is placed on a plate with the fish head facing towards you with the mouth opening and closing.

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

~Lobster

Azuma Kirby, a restaurant in New York City, is one of several eateries that serves lobsters while they are still alive. Diners are encouraged to pick "belly sashimi" out of the lobster, which is still moving around while it's served.

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

~Drunken Shrimp

A popular dish in China involves the use of live shrimp soaked in booze that makes them tipsy and most importantly tasty. It is traditionally served in a special glass goblet with a cover to prevent the shrimp from jumping out.

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

~Sannakji

A korean dish in which a live octopus is chopped up and served immediately, while its tentacles are still wiggling.

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

Frog Sashimi

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

I first heard/saw this on Facebook when someone posted a YouTube video of the dish being prepared and then eaten by a restaurant patron. Based on what I've read about the the meal the Cane Toad is instantly killed when the chef plunges a knife through it. However, when you see the video the toad seems very much alive while sitting in the bowl blinking and the trying to jump out.

Fruit Bat Soup

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive

This meal is served in Guam by taking the fruit bat and boiling it alive. Technically the bat should be dead when served (or in the throes of death), but the parasites and bacteria are still alive. So this really isn't recommended to any foodies.

Conclusion

I'm not here to judge but to share this information. Different culture, different practices. If you want to see the food or preparation of the food in action you can google the meal, and be immediately provided a video link to it. I didn't provide one because of the graphic nature. Especially with the Frog Sashimi.

As always thanks for reading! <3

Exotic Foods: 8 Animals Eaten Alive
3
2
2Girl Opinion
3Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• Socialrealist

What the fuck! No wonder chinese people are third worlders. These maniacs also eat cats and dogs. This is sick and plain WRONG. The only proper animals to be eaten are beef, pork, chicken, deer, turkey, and game. Anything else is disgusting and improper.

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • snowangle

You don't like seafood?

• SilenRose

I see no issue with the type of animal anyone eats but the way the animal is killed (or not killed) and served is an issue with me. Also not all these dishes came from China. In fact there are more dishes made from animals that are still alive. I just didn't list all of them.

Most Helpful Girl

• RainbowFanGirl

This shit makes me want to become vegetarian. :'(

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • SilenRose

Yeah, the same thought ran through my head when watching the meals being prepared. I still won't become a vegetarian but this brings animal cruelty to the forefront.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

12
  • aficionado

Not at all. I don't even eat dead animals, let alone live ones. I'm a strong advocate of animal rights, and I consider animals as friends and not food.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • SilenRose

I'll continue eating meat but I won't support a business that serves such food.

• astrOnaut01

That is disgusting! *slurps up twitching tentacle*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxQmOR_QLfQ

Order up!

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • SilenRose

Omg, this is so f'd up. #PlayingWithYourFood taken to a new level. 😳

• SilenRose

Just found out the squid is actually dead and the muscles are just reacting to the salt in the soy sauce. 😱

• I thought the hollowed out head, where the brains used to be, was self-evident lol

You should see how frog's legs look when salt is put on them

• snowangle

That's so inhumane. Poor things. :(

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • SilenRose

Yeah, I feel bad for them. Imagine watching yourself be eaten. :(