Killed 7 In Self-Defence, Gets Death Penalty

Aileen Wuornos had a fucked up childhood. Her dad, a deranged pedophile, was serving time in jail around her birth. Later, her mother would abandon Aileen and her brother—unwanted products of two immature teens. They were subsequently adopted by their maternal grandparents. Unfortunately, it was not the end for Aileen as she would still be exposed to sexual abuse from a very young age.

The culprit? Her alcoholic grandfather.

Furthermore, she was impregnated at 14 by a friend of the sickening monster who abused her trust.

After her grandfather kicked her out when she was just a teen, Aileen found herself hitchhiking and engaging in sexual activities to make a living. This would eventually lead to an unexpected turn of events which would change her life forever.

Over the span of just 1 year, she had shot seven middle-aged men along the highways of Florida—all of which she claimed tried to beat and rape her. A hooker turned serial killer, the first man Aileen killed was Richard Mallory who was a convicted sex offender.

Fast forward to the age of 46, Aileen Wuornos was put to death via lethal injection in 2002.

- DISCLAIMER -

I'm not purposely leaving out information to make her look like the innocent victim. I could of course write a full history on her but I'm cutting to the chase. Also, you have Wikipedia for that.

_____________________

Here's my real take on this, written in just one sentence:

She didn't have to get death penalty.

Watch this video and let me know what you think.

628
Richareens is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think death penalty is wrong anyway - both because of nobody should have the authority to decide who has the right to live and who hasn't, the laws have to set a good example and because of human beings are flawed, something that can cause wrong sentences. So in general speaking I'm against death penalties regardless if the person is guilty or not. A guilty person in prison can also think over what they've done and when someone are death they won't experience prison as much as someone who's alive longer.

I think this woman should get some mental help. Since she was dangerous she shouldn't be allowed in the society again and should rather be in a mental hospital or a prison, but also getting the therapy she needed. If she had a traumatic childhood talking about it would help her, making her life easier for herself and perhaps making her lesser aggressive. I do believe a humane rehabilitation program like the Scandinavian countries have would be a good idea. Even if she were never released from prison it would still be a nice idea since it would be good for both her own and the prison guard's safety.

It's hard for me to believe she could kill seven people in self-defense. But if she had mental health issues seeing the reality would be hard or nearly impossible for her, so it may be a possibility she had some false scenarios in her heads making her believe it was self-defense when it wasn't necessary it. I don't know the case well enough to know it. Anyway, I don't think mental illness or a bad childhood is an excuse for committing crimes although it may be an explanation on it. Anders Behring Breivik, a terrorist killed 77 people and he had a bad childhood too. What he did was still gruesome and not something you can defend. I don't think killing is justifiable just because of a difficult life.

Most Helpful Girl

• "Killing in self defence" is one thing. But killing 7 people? Come on that's not self defence anymore. If she really had a black out and had to use excesive violence to defend herself she would have gone to the police/called an ambulance or w. e. 'cause she would have handled out of self defence.

On top of that, if he tried to rape and/or beat her up you Always have to take into account several steps before you can use excessive violance and a black out as an excuse to kill someone.

Could she have escaped? Then she should have, if not she could have knocked him out. If that wasn't an option she probably used such violence/weapons that it's excessive to the situation. Only if she had a black out she could be justified for this. But as I said, killing 7 people? And justify it as self defence?

Not in my book.

• Maybe she didn't think the police cared about her since she was a hooker.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 27

• Low and behold, in a world where no gives a damn about people with mental illness or serious mental issues, those who have them go completely unnoticed until they just blow up and start killing people. Then we see them as monsters, instead of people in need of help. We've all been turning a blind eye to the mentally ill for decades now, then we act all shocked when the go on a killing spree. Yea, not like that's a tragedy that couldn't have been prevented by a little empathy and intervention.

• Maybe they were attacking her, but we'll never know. When you kill 7 people in 7 different circumstances, the problem is most likely that you have an itchy trigger finger. A shitty childhood is no excuse for becoming a serial killer.

• Honestly, if she was in fact 100% honest that they did try to beat her up and molest her despite having told them to stop, I am on her side.

• @zagor talk about cult leader.

• If I take a gun and walk around bad parts of (say) Chicago, and someone messes with me so I shoot them - and then I proceed to do that every weekend, how long do you think I would get away with that, claiming self-defense?

• If she was looking for people to kill, it's not self defense.
    It's premeditated murder.

Sucks her life was messed up like that, but it doesn't give anyone the right to kill someone else.
    Too bad the parents can't get killed too.

• Her dad hung himself in prison. Don't know about the mom though.

• Nah, she could have served the several life sentences. But, also, some of the ones she killed were disgusting individuals as well. Nevermind the shit she had to put up with before. Nah man, she went through enough pain as it is, why bother killing her off then? Just let her dwell on her traumatic life and that's punishment enough. But she probably never really deserved punishment like she got her whole life.

• People should've helped her, instead of giving her a death penalty. she really needed some help, and not death penalty, she had a fucked up life. i feel very bad for her. but i think its good that she got a death penalty, at least her suffering is finished now. but still, i wish people would've helped her

• Almost every killer in the world has attempted to play victim when facing the reprocussions of their heinous crimes. It's not even nessisarily "playing", they have actually convinced themselves that they are a victim of society and they do this naturally to rationalize their reasoning as to why they did it. You don't kill 7 different people in 7 different scenarios out of self defense.

• She's an interesting case. Of course, plenty of other serial killers have been put to death and they were all crazy too-- how else do you explain being a serial killer?

• Her childhood and her instilled hatred for men. She didn't need death penalty, she needed therapy and pills or if worse comes to worse, mental institution.

• @Charleslvajr Yes perhaps she's looking at this particular case with more scrutiny because the killer was female, but then, there have been many many *male* scholars and academics who have done the same thing-- that is, look at Wuornos' case specifically. You think they were thinking that way too? I doubt it.

• I'm not particularly fond of the death penalty. There's a more then reasonable chance that an innocent person is put down but under the circumstances, this one is undeniably and irrevocably gone. A rabid animal and you don't rehabilitate a rabid dog.

• "she claimed tried to beat and rape her."
    Not credible considering she is a prostitute and met them to engage in prostitution.

• Why the hell would anyone be desperate enough to pay two cents to bang this bitch? How many crazy guys have been executed, and without any notice or publicity? Glad society had the good sense to put her out of her misery...

• The whole situation was fucked up. But while some of her early kills were self defense her later ones were outright murder and while the death penalty wasn't appriopriate she shouldn't have ever been free again.

• lol no, she robbed them and liked the power of killing them. Her motivation was her girlfriend but she still liked doing it and it was premeditated. Only a nut would believe otherwise, given all the evidence.

• defend self get called hooker serial killer and get death plenty not defend self get raped and killed anyway yay what a fair world !!!
    3.bp.blogspot.com/.../Reset3.jpg

• If a man who rapes a little girl is proven to be insane and he did it in a country or state allowing death for it, should he be given the death penalty?

You're right, death is too severe for a mentally insane person.

• that's why one should not drink alchohol

• She was damn right about people not having helped her or respected any of her traumas of the past.

• She actually went up to the police station on her own to confess because her girlfriend called her to inform her she had been harassed by the cops. Aileen was adamant to prove to the police that her girlfriend, the person she loved so dearly, was innocent. Little did she know that she had been set up and was 'betrayed'.

• betrayed by her friend?

• Her lover who was female.

• Something doesn't seem right here. This self-defense defense seems mighty convenient.

• She is so far gone she is better off put to death. Costs money to keep people in prison and she is a threat if let out.

• Honestly the state she was in, the death penalty was a mercy. She was way too far got by this point.

• It's not self defence, but damn that's screwed up. She should be taken to a mental hospital.

• i think she was just a victim of wicked people watching that made me sad if im honest i dont condemn her i sympathize with her she just got sick of being abused she fought back but it turned her into a monster she was a decent human being but she became so damaged and traumatized she had such a deep hatred for evil people like that she couldnt contain herself anymore she was just a victim not a predator and its sad that she thought she was going to heaven this is probably the first and last time ill ever say this but i honestly wish she would go to heaven because she didn't deserve this :(

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 5

• I personally don't believe in anyone receiving the death penalty, no matter how horrible the crime they commit is.

With that being said, her self-defense claims are extremely convenient in her case. My theory is that because of her horrible childhood and the environment she grew up in, she began to have a hatred for men - especially those who she had sexual encounters with.

Being kicked out and on the streets, this was probably the easiest job for her to get and being in those situations with older men probably reminded her of the sexual trauma she experienced as a child.

So I don't think she committed these crimes in self-defense but I completely disagree with her sentence. One - because I disagree with it in all cases anyway, but even if I didn't, I think that her childhood may warrant an imperfect self-defense claim in her case. Or it may just be evidence enough that she was psychologically damaged and perhaps insane at the time of the murders.

• Her childhood was definitely one huge factor that led to her demise. Also, she says in the video, "You sabotaged my ass, society" and "I saved a lot of people's butts from getting hurt, raped and killed too". Help was what Aileen needed. She also mentions she had lack of fair 'trials' and 'investigations'.

Death penalty was just not for her. I know she didn't need to murder them but she was so psychologically damaged. Subjecting her to death penalty is ridiculous in her case such that you're just killing another victim who needed help. Life without parole would have been suitable.

• Bitch didn't kill 7 people out of self defense. She was a nut case.

• I've read about Aileen Wuornos, the hooker serial-killer years ago and also saw the movie Monster. It's understandable she needed counseling early on during her teen years and had a terrible childhood but that doesn't give anyone the rights to go on a kiling spree.
    I'm not one for death penalty. I'd rather see a killer get given life-sentence.
    I don't really believe she killed all those 7 men in 7 different circumstances in self-defense. If I'm not mistaken, she admitted to not killing one in self-defense but rather out of hatred and anger.
    In the movie, there was a man pleading for his life, telling her not to pull the trigger but she still did it. Preparing yourself with a gun, deceiving people (the men that were only there to pay for sex) with the purpose of robbing and killing them is premediated murder.

As say it's one thing to kill someone in self-defense and report it afterwards but 7 men in self-defense? I'm not buying it. Not believable.

• Wouldn't killing a man in self-defense by enough to traumatize someone to the point of not even wanting to go outside and spending a long time with therapy?
      That wasn't the case with Aileen Wuornos. She still went out for more lust and blood.

• i think it is not fair

• That's what the world is. I had a similar childhood, with a lot more fucked up people and a lot less drugs/booze to blame it on. And what you learn is that there aren't good or bad people. They all do what is available, the only way out is to pass for normal or it will keep happening.

• i think your wrong i wouldn't do any of these stuff ever!

• @Journeyman11 no dude i just know myself and i know 100% i would be incapable of doing this

• @troychapman Maybe you're right.