Thin Privilege? Body Positivity? Has the World Lost it's Mind?

What is all this about thin privilege and body positivity?

Why is it that obese people can talk about us skinny girls, Saying things like "Skinny b*tches" Or "twig b*tch" I mean whatever. If we call them fat or whales, or fatty, all of a sudden we're the bad guy? It seems that some obese people have this entitled spoiled deluded attitude now. I think it's insane. Here's the behavior I observed from watching them in interviews and debates.

They believe they are a victim.

They have no self responsibility.

They are very entitled.

They have an excuse for everything.

That's some of my opinions, not a fact.

Let's break it all down...

1. Their "victim mentality"

First off the only victim here is your body! I feel that obese people are now blaming others for their on doing.

"I can't fly on the airplane the seats are too small."

"I can't go to the doctor without being lectured."

"None of the clothes fit me

I can't go shopping."

Oh poor me.

It's not the seat it's you ever think you're too big for the seat? You need to listen to your doctor! I bet he/she is telling you no wrong. Once again you're too big for the clothes! Work out and get healthy again! Then you can wear whatever you want. It's not anyone's to accommodate your ridiculous size.

2. "The "It's not me it's society thing"

This goes back to what I said above. If you're obese and reading this you need to understand, that it is your fault you are this way. I know you don't want to hear that but it is the truth. No, one forced you to eat all that food. You did this to yourself. You know what you can also do for yourself? Snap out of it! Get up! Work out! Cut back on the food!

You got yourself into this. Now you can get yourself out of it. It is no one else's fault or job to praise or enable your unhealthy habits. The change starts with you. All this blaming "the world isn't made for people like me." "Seats on the plane should be bigger." "Clothes should be bigger." All the complaining isn't going to make you any skinnier or healthier. You are obese accept that and change. Your own obesity is your own problem, find your own solution.

3. "Everything should fit my needs"

I don't know where this attitude came from? Why on earth should I accept you being unhealthy? There is a fine line between just being a little overweight and just flat out obese. I will support overweight and obese people who are working out, and trying to get back in shape. Not the ones who believe that we should enable and accommodate them. Nope, not going to happen. We should not change seat sizes for you. We should not male anything bigger. We would just be enabling them. Why would they need to change when everything is perfect for them? Than they will just stay unhealthy. What would motivate them?

4. Excuses Excuses...

"I can't work out I don't have the time." You had time to stuff your face with that burger. You had time to lay around and watch TV. I'm so sick of excuses. You either want to be healthy or you don't. If you choose to stay obese you are at a risk of health problems. You know that and you still have no lack of respect for your health. You'd rather put off eating healthy and working out regularly. To being at risk of a heart attack, heart disease, Type two diabetes, high blood pressure and many more. Stop making excuses! You need to get the job done.

That's my two cents. Also with this whole "Body positivity" thing. It is praised by tons of hypocrites. They want to talk about acceptance yet a lot of them are dragging other skinny bodies down. I give up on the world. We might as well praise Drug addicts and alcoholics. Obese people are right up there with them, and some of us praise them. All I'm saying is You're obese YOU. So YOU do something about it.

Okay, I'm finished. Just need to give some tough love. I support those who are willing to change for the better. If you are one of those people who want to do better for yourself. Good! ^_^ I applaud and support you 100%. Please keep going and don't stop!

*Disclaimers*

This is my first mytake! Sorry if it seems a little amateur (It is) I tried my best to write this hopefully I grow more as a writer and journalist as I continue to put out these articles. Keep in my mind this is my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone not my intention but I do not sugar coat things.

Thank you if you read through all of this! Please share your thoughts in the comments. All opinions are welcome here.

2942
Sososinaxoxo is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• As a fat person myself, I actually agree with a lot of what you said, believe it or not.
    I am trying to lose weight and I run often, believe it or not. Admittedly my eating habits could be better. I'll say it's difficult in America since there's too much fast food around and it annoys me to no end that others around me can eat sh*t and still be skinny. But still I don't deny that my fatness is 100% my own fault.
    Also I'm quite amazed that anyone can let themselves get as big as the lady in the picture or even bigger. I mean, yes, I'm large too, but not quite THAT large. (But I also have some muscle.)
    However, I wouldn't quite put obesity on the same level as alcoholism and drug addiction. I mean, I understand what you mean, that it's a result of addiction to eating and laziness. But unlike the other two, obesity is harming only yourself whereas the other two can result in you putting other lives at risk. In other words, public intoxication or intoxicated driving are illegal for a reason, but there are no laws against public obesity or obese driving.
    So that's the only point where I disagree with you. but otherwise I agree.

• That's true! I'm so happy to hear that! Thank you for reading ^_^

• I used to be quite fat myself man (had a BMI of like 30), and what worked for me was like weightlifting. The muscle really does burn more calories each day. Deadlifts, and squats are particularly good. It takes time, but eventually it just drops off. I personally recommend Reg Park's 5x5 program, as that's what I'm on now, and I love it

• "Thin privilege". You mean being able to participate in life? How many fat tennis players do you know of? Fat basketball players? Fat surfers? Fat marathon runners? Being obese precludes you from enjoying the world. How does being fat and mountain climbing work out for you? Or hiking? Diving? Do these people never go outside? You're missing out on a gigantic chunk of the world if you're fat. There's more to life than a keyboard and computer screen.

• That's your own fault if you choose to stay that way.
      Lose weight and you can do everything we can do.

• Yeah I have a ton of comments sorry I'm trying to read all of them.

• Hahaha omg I feel so silly I'm sorry I'm in defense mode you're actually agreeing woops!!! I'm so sorry

Most Helpful Girls

• Whenever someone believes in thin privilege it pisses me because I've been bullied quite a lot in the past because of me being skinny and tall which i guess can look weird to some people and I get people who are fat could get bullied as well but just because someone is skinny doesn't mean we've never been shit on for our body too like even till this day jokes are made about my body but if i were to make a joke to a fat guy or girl then i'd be considered an asshole then

• Exactly! and I'm so sorry to hear that.
      That's what I'm fighting for.
      I think everyone's HEALTHY bodies should all be accepted no matter what size.
      Obese isn't healthy though.

• Oops that "it" isn't suppose to be there XD My bad

• thanks lol and I try not to

• I agree with you. Aparentally since its 'in' right now to have cartoonish curves every overweight woman is trying to glamorize being 'thick and curvy' when in reality most times it's her being overweight/obese. I even met guys who would rather date such a woman than a healthy one! Honestly what has happened to the world... why not just all of us be healthy?
    I used to be overweight and lost the weight, however I was only 5lbs overweight and still got called fat and whatever. And now that I'm skinny I still get hate. It's like people will always find a way to bully someone , has nothing to do with the person.
    But yes I agree we need to stop with the body positivity stuff. Being fat and 'healthy' isn't a thing that's just fucking stupid.

• Exactly and obese does not equal curvy I don't know where they got this from.
      Don't worry about those haters they're just jealous!
      I'm so happy you agree ^_^
      Thank you for reading!

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 40

• ridiculous

• Regardless, I don't think it's right to call women (or anyone for that matter) "skinny b*tches", "twig b*tches", "fatties" or "fat whales", no matter what side you're on.

It is the INTENT of the words you use towards someone that makes it wrong to say or not. Both lack dignity towards either body type. If you call someone a "skinny b*tch" or a "fat whale", BOTH are an intent to harm that person, and both lack dignity towards that person.

It's a false equivalency to say "all of a sudden we're the bad guy" for saying either of those things - both of which are intentionally derogatory toward that person to begin with. Either one makes you a "bad guy" because again, it lacks dignity shown towards that person. You can't say it's wrong for one side and then do the other.

It is also a false equivalency to say they are victimized if you, yourself, choose to victimize them with the language and intent you use toward them. And that goes for both sides - both skinny and obese.

No matter what side a person chooses to victimize, it is best to treat them with dignity instead. Always. If you see an issue, it does not help to berate them with negative and derogatory words. Instead, choose to use words and dialog that encourages and uplifts them to help them see another way and/or get them to a point where they can change. Negativity does not bring change. It only makes things worse. You want change in other people? Treat others with dignity in the way you'd want to be treated yourself.

No matter what side a person uses derogatory language towards, the cause of it is a lack of being able to SEE that ALL PEOPLE deserve dignity. You may not agree or respect them, but treat them with dignity. Always. And that must be reflected in the words you use as well.

It is always best to put forth positivity into the world instead of negativity. Be the change you want to see in others. Change yourself first to be able to treat others with dignity and you may begin to see that change in other people. Without dignity, you will get nowhere. It's pretty simple, really.

• I'm not calling them names.
      That was an example.
      Other than that I agree.
      I get that they are people but us skinny girls are too.
      I don't like how they count us out a lot.

• Yeah,
      No, problem I agree! ^_^

• great take! time and time again people i know who are fat or obese just won't ever STFU about themselves being fat. everytime i invite them to come to gym with me, it's like they made an entire list of excuses to tell me why they can't do it or they will cancel on me at the last minute. like seriously, wtf... either do something or don't complain about being fat. i'm so sick and tired of the constant complaining and negativity. they make it seem like there's no time, but do they think everyone has time like that? hells no! but we still make time for exercising, there is no excuses unless you're very sick and can't get out of bed with a high fever. they also make it seem like eating healthy is so expensive when it's not. a pack of chicken breast don't even cost $5.00, and veggies are super cheap, usually not even $1.00 per lbs, some are on sale and you can get 2 or 3 for a cheap price especially if you don't get the ones labeled as organic. that one bucket of KFC that cost $15.00 can make you a few meals, and it's not even hard to cook. they're just too lazy asses full of excuses and don't want to bother trying.

• I totally agree, great take! Especially that I was chubby at some point and I started to do something about it instead of trying to blame everyone around.
    Also - it's basically the same when you think about the "feminism" vs normal guys today. "Muh opresshiun". I wonder when the revolution will start devouring its children.

• Great first mytake- well said! The world hasn't lost its mind, it has let the "society" infect it with the concept that every little problem in life isn't deserved, never caused by the "victim", and that every "victim" is somehow entitled to a perfect little life! What a bucket of bilge water! People need to accept life for what it is, get their act together, accept responsibility for their actions and the results of them, and move forward.

• Im a fat guy, my SO is a fat woman - I have been super skinny in my life - I have dated skinny all the way to obese. I have NEVER felt entitled, oppressed or anything other then personally unhappy with my body at times. Being overweight or underweight is simply not healthy, no ifs or buts!
    The world lost it's mind MANY years ago!

• The strange thing is that a fat guy is moar popular than a sporty guy. Tested on me. It's crazy o_O. Now I'm sporty and nowbody gives 2 f.. cks O_o. Not kidding.

• Eh, haters gonna hate, you know?
    Fact of the matter is that attractive people enjoy a better life. Always been that way, always will.
    Let the haters hate, its all just noise.

• I agree. Overweight people should consider losing that weight, first and foremost because of health issues that is going to inflict themselves. cardiovascular diseaes, diabetes and depression to name a few.

this is not about promoting skinny body image. Its about health. Being overweight is unhealthy. Staying that way is not couragous or brave, it is just unhealthy.

• Well said, if you don’t like yourself, your body then change it. It’s all about taking responsibility for your life. These days everything is there for people to make change. I’ve been there, I didn’t like my body so I changed it. Was it easy, No Way Jose. But I got there. People have to decide what they want in life

• 0|0
  • its a direct result of the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality.
    when it doesn't come to them, they tend to create the "i'm a victim" excuse. been happening in the felon world for years.

• Don't worry statistically those fatasses will die before you do because you are skinnier and therefore fit. Not to mention if a zombie apocalypse happens those fatasses will be first to die.

• I agree and I think you make some good points.

Health should be the top priority and I can't imagine being obese is healthy - the best thing to do, is not let yourself get to that point.

• Interesting that the woman who critisizes larger women does not have a picture of herself posted. You can dish out but you don't want to take it. I do cardio everyday. i lift weights. Watch what i eat I'll also most likely never look fit. Do i like that fact? NO! But it takes all i have just to look decent. Maybe you mean people that are so out of shape they have to catch their breathe climbing one flight of stairs. But some people are working their ass off and being judged the same. Try to think about them.

• That's not who I'm talking about.
      I clearly said I support those who are working toward's better health.
      This article was written for those who don't want to change and instead wants the world to enable their weight.

• the world hasn't lost its sanity, third wave feminism has though.
    so did soy boys, white knights, radicals, feminists and incels alike.

• What the hell is "thin privilege?" Never heard of such a thing in my life.

• Exactly I don't know either

• Thin not, but favourable body shapes do exist, just as non-favourable ones. If you take a look at Chloe Moretz's body, you'll know what I am talking about.

• Because "White Privilege" got in the door and when you accept group "privilege" it can be applied to any group whatsoever.

It's a silly concept. But accepting one means accepting the other by default, because if accepted this privilege as reality.

• I think they're like that because the only people calling skinny people that are fat people. But fat people are getting called names by everybody not just skinny people

• I used to be thin, but they I took an arrow to the knee. Now I sit in bed eating SubWay and playing video games.

And to answer your question: no, eating Subway does not help me lose weight and it doesn't make me a child molestor like Jerod.

• It's the majority rule, and since most people are now fat, the ones who actually take care of their weight have become the villains.

• Todays society is turned on its head. Everything that was bad is now celebrated. Sluts, gays, obesity, trans, ... and everything that was good is now considered bad, white, male, conservative, thin.

• insecurity brings out the most ridiculous of behavior in people...

• Not the world, just SJWs. Being healthy takes a lot of work for most of us. Being obese (unless you have a genuine medical cause) just requires overeating and being lazy.

• Obese people should be locked up and starved until the weight comes off. Society's needs outweigh the lard ass' wants.

• I don't get that "I'll overeat 'till I look disgusting" mindset.

• As you stated in your opening, this "My Take" is full of your opinions, not (necessarily) facts. While there are some obvious truths in here, there are far too many sweeping generalizations and characterizations. And then, there are things that make no sense at all, such as "... there is a fine line between just being a little overweight and just flat out obese." Um... no there isn't !! 10 -15 pounds is considered overweight. 30 -50 is extremely overweight, while 70 pounds more puts you in the obese range. No fine line there so I don't know what the asker was thinking? What I DO agree with is that the world doesn't need to change to accommodate obesity. If you can't fit into one airline seat, sorry, pay for two.

• Of course it's full of my opinion it's MY take.
      Obesity is past overweight...
      I think you might just be a little bitter.
      XD
      Once again I said I'm talking specifically to moribly obese people who refuse to change.
      I don't mind them as long as they are trying to better themselves.
      10-15 pounds isn't 300 pounds overweight.

• Readers can not read your mind, only your words. We don't know "what you mean" by a statement except what the words tell us. I responded to what you wrote. If you meant something other than, or in addition to, what you wrote, who can decipher that? Even now that I understand your amended explanation, I disagree with the concept, so let's leave it at that.

• XD Okayyy byeeee

• Fantastic take. This needed saying.

• Obese WOMEN can get away with anything... Obese men just get ridiculed lol

• All women are beautiful

• Show more from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 27

• So you don't like that you're being put down by bigger girls, so you write an article putting them down? And the saga continues. Man I hate being a chic sometimes haha. Why do we have to bring each other down to uplift ourselves? It's not cool when they do it to you, and it's not cool that you used this article to do it to them under the cover of health concerns and tough love. Love more, hate less. The world would be such a better place.

• Simple because being a fatass and being fit are two different things 1 should be encouraged while one shouldn't because it causes heart disease and strokes you can guess which one shouldn't be encouraged or pampered.

• Ok mami. Still not the point haha but ok.

• Well, you have made some good points, however, as you probably know, not every obese person verbally attacks thinner people. Also obesity is a common cause of a lot bullying, I've seen people viciously bullied because of their weight. It may not even be their fault entirely, they can do sports and eat healthy, but their metabolism is so low, it doesn't do much good. I know some people who are overweight. They acknowledge the fact that they are unhealthy and need to lose weight. They try very hard to lose weight, but it's a process, and a very hard one. As an example, I know somebody who is overweight, they have knee problems and have injured their knees a lot. This is due to the stress put on by the unhealthy weight, and therefore, it is even harder to exercise because of knee pain and recurring knee injuries. Every person's story is different, and every personal battle is hard.

• You're right!
      I had thought about that but I'm so feed up with these entitled obese people.
      I do love your response!
      You are very intelligent, especially for your age.
      Most kids your age and mine are bored when it comes to this type of thing.
      Some people would rather party, and ignore the world.
      Anyways, Thank you so much for reading! ^_^
      I loved hearing your thoughts!

• This is dumb because I call my friends skinny bitches (though not all are entirely skinny) not as an insult but for fun and if I do use it as an insult it's not directed to being skinny it's because the girls says stupid shit like "god i'm so fat" when their obviously not, so it's me calling them out for being retarded by telling them the reality

• Coincidentally, there´s an article on the BBC website today headlines "Obesity to be linked to more female cancers than smoking". Being fat is very unhealthy, that´s a fact not an opinion. Being thin should be priviledged as it is healthier.

• I agree with the thought behind this, but any person being mean and calling names is wrong. Making someone feel bad about who they are won't help them in any way. It will cause the opposite effect.
    Yes, some over weight people are simply lazy, but for the ones who are trying to get better, and are struggling to find clothing that fits, it brings down the feeling that you are doing something good.
    Should seats size change, no. Well, maybe on airlines cause even a normal sized ass barely fits in them. lol
    I think the body positivity movement lost its mind and hasn't been able to get it back. Praising self love is great as long as that praise is geared towards being healthy and happy.

• I agree, I didn't mean to bring anyone down.
      I just think I needed to bring the truth to the surface.
      I support those who want better for themselves.
      I'm talking specifically to obese people who don't want to change and instead want other things to change for their gluttony.

• Good Take. Some people in my family are overweight. I worry not because they could get fat shamed, but because it keeps them from living a long healthy life. That is all I want for people. Don`t make your family members worry about you

• To be honest obesity is kind of a poverty issue. Generally, the poorer you are the more likely to be obese, since cheap foods are generally more fattening. It's a more complicated issue than just 'lost weight' because that's not really how our bodies work. In a lot of ways I do kind of think I have experienced 'thin privilege' because all of the body related woes teenage girls experienced, both internally and externally, I never had.

• I was extremely thin when I was younger and very overweight two years ago (I lost a lot of weight last year however), and have been body shamed on both accounts. I’m sorry but most body shaming cases I’ve heard were from fat women towards skinny women. Hell I even got it when I was in the military and at a healthy weight. Yes anorexia is a real issue, but it shouldn’t be presumed about an insecure teenager (like I was) who was already crying because she was skinny. I think a lot of these women body shame skinny girls to justify their laziness and make themselves feel better. Anyone who considers Tess Holliday a positive role model needs to think again. She’s delusional and that’s all

• I've been underweight most of my life, until I had children. I had a thigh gap, I had I believe less than double AA breasts, tummy that wouldn't fold even when I'm sitting or lying sideways. While I did get compliments, I had a lot of harsher comments. That I looked like a boy. And when I had make-up on I looked like a gay cross dressing man.

Now I still have small breasts defined by society:between A and B. I have thighs that would always meet, and with a little cellulite, tummy that always falls to the side when I lie down, my hips and butt got bigger but I wouldn't say they are the perkiest. But didn't like me more during my skinny period than where I am right now. Now i have less compliments but fewer critiques. I am considered normal. I look at IG photos of flat abs people. They look good on photos. But i personally wouldn't like to go back here because I dont want to be called a man/boy again. This body positivity thing never shows the negative side to being "just skinny".

• my ex husband got mad at some rude women at a theatre. we were watching a film and they were talking out loud in street voices. for like 10 mins
    at first he simply asked them to be quiet. then he yelled.

i later went to the bathroom and they followed me in to bully me about being told to be quiet or leave
    because i was skinny and they were voluptuous they made derogatory comments anout my breast size. i was a b cup. classy. their rudeness had nothing to do with size. their handling of the sitiation was rude and inappropriate.

• Thin privelege? I am 21, I work in healthcare, and I don't get taken seriously half of the time because of my thin figure. One time I told a nurse something was wrong with a patient, and he completely dismissed me. 30 minutes later, that patient coded. He apologized for dismissing me but it stung. Many times, I get asked if I’m old enough to work there or how I can move my patients. I have a coworker that is the same age but weighs way more and is never asked any of those things. Plus, I have 17.6% body fat, I can assure you that I can move my patients just fine. Also, I’ve had many coworkers came and apologize to me because they said they didn’t take me seriously or underestimated me.

• Obesity is the same as being a hoarder or drug addict. It's a lack of self control that leads to being unhealthy.

• Couldn't agree more!
    One thing obese people don't realise, is that being underweight is equally as bad. I had a friend who was underweight, people had no problem telling her that because it was dangerous and she needed to become healthy. She knew that.

Yet people fret over telling obese people they're unhealthy because of "body positivity?'" I'm all for loving your body, as long as it's healthy.

Even once on a show, I saw a "plus sized" model, whining that the plus sized clothing range is more expensive than the regular and petite range. That's because it takes more materials to make the plus sized clothes. Like in childrens clothes, the same smaller childrens' clothes (7-12) will cost more than the older childrens range (13-16) because it takes more materials to make the older children's clothes. You don't seen all teenagers complaining about they're clothes costing more on national television, because it's common sense why their clothes cost more.

• Jealousy. Most of us are jealous of pretty skinned girls.
    P. S: I'm not thin but not fat too.

• Absolutely brilliant.
    Thank you for the take ^_^
    I agree with you.
    I have gained weight over the years (meds and comfort eating)
    and I am willing to change. Luckily, I'm not obese, though.
    But if I don't eat healthy/work out, I am afraid I might be one day.
    I can't let that happen. No chance in hell.

Obese people definitely complain but won't change. "I'm so lonely. No one will ever go out with me with all this weight." yet I know this person who said that then went McDonald's and ate like 2 large burgers, and just double of everything apart from the drink. It was disgusting. I struggle with just one burger.

• this is the best mytake of the month

• I won’t waste my mind on this body positive stupidity

• Good take

• Fatty is fatty

• Love what you're saying girly! I completely agree!

• I hate double standards

• Would you ever forgive cheating?

• Mehhhh

• I completely disagree with you some woman who are a bit bigger dont envy you or want to be small, some love their body with all its glorious curves that small women don't have and feel like a smaller woman can't compete. My SO wouldn't touch a tiny woman they dont have a nice enough body for him. As for how some women get those curves we have children and our bodies don't always return to normal so dont say all big women want to be like you cause we don't!!!

• Shaming the other body types just to justify yourself being thin makes no sense.
    You're thin. You're beautiful.
    You're fat. You're beautiful.

• It's victim culture. I'm sure there are starving people in the third world thinking fat first world privledge

• GROSS IT FEELS AND LOOKS AWFUUULLL TO BE FATTT