Why the Modeling Industry Isn't All About the Product

So this a response to some of the comments on myTake.

The Modeling Industry

Now being a model is SO much more than just the product as many people think. It's a job and not letting every race, body type, height.. to get the job because they aren't good for the product is 99% of the time bullshit and discriminating. Because most of the time the clothes they sell and the model is wearing looks amazing on curvy women and all kinds of women and there are models who are curvy (fashion nova) who sells a huge amount of clothes just like the skinny flat ones. Fashion Nova is one of the biggest things right now in the world, so many celebrities are using it and a lot of people are buying it.

Fashion Nova with all different types of models had a net worth of 400 million dollars 2017 https://ecommercedb.com/en/store/fashionnova.com#general-information

And H&M has all races and body types and they have a net worth of 28 billion dollars https://www.forbes.com/companies/hm/#74ce364e7280 .

Vercase that only has one type has the net worth of 400 million dollars

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/richest-designers/donatella-versace-net-worth/

And Victoria secret is worth 7.6 billion dollars so it isn't all about the product, companies who have all types of people usually make more money.

And now we get to "but they make the product and they fit that underweight skinny tall white model." Well the crazy thing is, most of the time it's not true either. Many clothes that are made are too big for the model and look way better on a person that is healthy. For example this is a model and a celebrity wearing the same thing next:

Now I think tall skinny people are beautiful too but the modeling industry doesn't make more money on underweight tall white women than on different types of women. If you don't believe me give me a source.

Selling a product with different body types and skin colors isn't hard, it has worked so well in many industries so that's not an excuse.

Tyra Banks is one of the biggest models in the world and she has her own show called "America's Next Top Model" where she has tall, short, skinny flat, skinny curvy from all religions and cultures because she knows it is more than just the product. It shows society's beauty and a lot of people right now especially kids are not eating because they want to look like a vercase model. You hear that a lot and by my experience.

Tyra Banks models:

Personally I don't wanna become a model but I want everyone to have the same chance at getting the job. Of course sometimes you will want a tall skinny white flat women but if it's every time then it's not a coincidence. You can watch Tyra Banks new episodes and learn more about modeling because it is so mush more than the product, it's a job who effects society! And she herself had to deal with a lot of discrimination because of her race and because she is curvy. Meaning she has to work like 10 times harder.

Obs! You don't have to agree with me. But I put some facts and opinions on what I think of the situation in the modeling industry. If you disagree it would be nice to have sources and a valuable reason and not just this is all bullshit or something without any reason for it.

107

Most Helpful Guys

• >Things guys have been saying about it forever.

Also, I think it's ridiculous that these people are looked up to. It just seems like the silliest thing.

• Agree! The business should really change

• No it's not prove to me it's not true give me links

• More People will buy if they see someone who looks like them on the catwalk

• Have you ever noticed how they ignore the laws of the land when it comes to things like Hollywood?

• Sometimes not always. I just Think its wrong to have just one type you can have a perference but not always just one type. And a lot of the time they get told to starve themself. And I dont think thats okay either. Because most are a little underweight it's not healthy

• Yes and it's not okay. And it's not only in the model industry it's in other industries too

• Thanks for MHO!

Most Helpful Girls

• i like this take and i agree that model is about the product but SOOO many young girls look up to those models and when all they see is whit flat women and they are different they don't feel good enough that is what i would like to change about the modeling industry

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 5

• I used to be a photographer in the modeling industry. What a lot of people don't realize is that modeling isn't easy. It's long hours and sometimes in uncomfortable conditions.

The tall skinny models are typically runway models, in a historical sense. Off runway, you can find them in the gym working out to maintain their figure right before the season starts.

Fashion models come in all shapes and colors. These are the models who appear for name brands. Historically, they are thin, but it's slowly changing. Instead of being super thin, a healthier look was adopted in the early 1990's. The fashion model industry realized they got a better response when the models had a more natural look about them. They are still highly selective in picking very photogenic people. Meaning few skin flaws and free from "natural" deformity (uneven eyes, ears, mouth. Drooping shoulders).

Industry models are the models who appear in circulars. Known as your magazine models who work for department stores. This is the least restrictive modeling avenue. The agencies are just looking for someone who is photogenic and minor "natural" flaws are mostly overlooked. Still very long hours, but in more controlled conditions than fashion modeling.

The restriction placed on models is purely subjective by whatever agency is representing the model. Go to ten different agencies, and you will get ten different opinions on what a model should look like. Most probably you will also have ten different "flaws" that will be pointed out as to why you won't be able to make it. All of it's BS, if you want to be a model, you can be. Just have to find an agency believes they can make money from representing you, and willing to get you work.

• Yes but it will make People have 10 times more harder because of privlige other people have and the racism and discrimaination in the business so it's a bigger problem. And I don't wanna be a model but I want everyone to have equality so they can get the job.

• I get what you are saying. Parts of the industry are changing. More in the industry models or "commercial models" area than anywhere else. Fashion Modeling is a little slower, but they are taking in more people. Compared to when I worked, it has really opened up to people of all shapes and sizes.
      When I worked as a photographer it was just changing from the super skinny to more the natural and healthy body type.

Unfortunately, I believe discrimination against those who not very photogenic will exist for a very long time to come. If an agency does not think the person will not make them money, they sign them. Even if they do, they won't put the time or effort into finding them jobs.

• Yes well it's good we have gone somewhere. And hopefully we keep moving forward

• I once heard Tommy Hilfiger was racist, but now he's got people of color for models. If he really was racist he must have had to change.

• A lot of the clothes they try to sell are hideous.

Give me a barefoot girl in jeans and T to one in one of those outfits any day.

• Well even a great product needs appealing advertisment.

• Yes you can have a perference but as long as there is equality which most of the time it isn't anymore ut would have been okay. But hollywood gets away with a lot and not just in the model industry

• How is preferring one kind of model over another because of their appearance any different from preferring one athlete over another because of athletic prowess or one academic over another because of intelligence? I think people are trying to make too many "rules" as to what we should and shouldn't be allowed to do or think.

• Because they aren't as Good these People can do the same job as Good. But Good question

• In that case, no compulsion is necessary. We should see firms adopt different kinds of models all on their own. I think this is the way to go.

• Yes I Think there should be more different types of people in modeling. But it will take some time to get there but one day it will be better

What Girls Said 8

• I never understood the pseudo logic ‘ models are tall and skinny bc clothing looks better on them. How does it look better on a body that 90% of the time is not going to be in it. Clothes are made for people to wear, if it can’t look good on normal bodies than there is something wrong with the clothing. Why don’t they just make clothing suitable for actually being worn? I really do not understand this.

I am tall and thin and many things look soooooo much better on my smaller curvier friend. I don’t buy it thst clothing just looks better in a certain type. Different clothing looks different on different bodies. Why are they only modeling one kind of body and a body tie most people don’t have. I’d think there would be better success marketing towards reality.

And funny too bc it’s hard to find stuff my size though looking at models you’d think it’d be easy. Nothing comes in the size that it’s advertised in.

Also, if everything was modeled on 5 ft 2 cutie beauties , I definitely wouldn’t buy it bc it would not represent anything I actually am. I can’t imagine wearing something I can’t envision myself in.

Why aren’t there models of every color size

And why is Kendall Jenner still all over the place and paid millions to model? She hates modeling , didn’t work to get there, doesn’t respect her peers , looks so freaking awkward in every shoot and already has billion dollars. actually no one should be paid millions of dollars to model. It’s oretty insane. The clothing companies shouldn’t be making so much in the first place most probably rely on slave labor.

• Right! I totally agree. They should make clothes for different bodytypes too and clothes so it's fit that person.

And intressting about the clothes that it's hard to find clothes if you are like the typicle model. According to stores you are wider the taller you are, it's so weird lol

• Haha it’s so stupid and anytime someone says the clothing looks better on tall skinny people , I’m like 🤦‍♀️

Clothing is _created_ it looks good on what you make it to look good on. A Curvy dress will look like a moo moo on the skinny girl. A yellow dress will look really bad on most people with fair skin but look gorgeous on bronze. Nothing looks good or bad on its own it has to have a target. And if you need to pick a sample size 5 ft 11 size 2, is not a sample of anything but like 3% of women.

• Exacly! Well Said:)

• They want their clothes to look like it's hanging on a mannequin, it doesn't matter how great it looks on other people to them. End of the day, healthy bodies with little body fat looks shows off fashion a lot better. There is little distraction and distortion of the clothes when they hang on the ideal model.

Also, I know celebs get their clothes fitted perfectly for them, yes Rihanna looks hot in that green dress but it is not the same size or length as the one the model was wearing.

• That's not true they make less money so that's not accurate try something else. And yes it is because you can see the clothes on the model is too big. So that type of cloth fitted better on a curvy women. And it's funny how you change arguments when I prove facts. You don't have to agree if you don't want equality that's okay but I do. And I explained how before so you can read that

• Maybe they should go do something else with their lives, if they don't meet the standard it isn't their talent, so why should the companies break their rules that were there for a reason? That's the problem with us nowadays wanting to break traditions causing more turmoil than progress.

• And you relax I'm not mad I am just standing up for equality. And I'm not taking about the Ones who just prefer one type and have those mostly I'm taking about the Ones who never give anyone else a chance and starve their models

• Some clothes designs fits well with a certain body type, not all body types can rock in every design. It just depends on every persons choice of design and body type.

• Absolutly that's not what I said and most of the time it isn't that way. And a lot of times they never give anyone else a chance because of their skincolor not because of the clothes but in that case it is understandble if it's not Always

• 😊👌 they should really give more People chances because sometimes it looks better than on the typicle model:)

• I can disprove this just by asking you a question. Name one known catwalk model (not a supermodel, glam model, or insta model). You literally can't. Those women are irrelevant to the fashion industry, stick-thin, and being paid to walk as a human hanger. Give me a break. You only know names like the Hadids, Jenner, Cambell, Graham, Whitney, Adriana, Hosk, etc. because those are all GLAMOR models, not catwalk models. There's a huge difference. Fashion is still about consumerism and I don't understand why you're trying to paint a false narrative.

• Not true at all. And there are other types of models on catwalks too but Only like 1 %. So try not assume things about People before you really know them.

• It doesn't ad up because 99% of the time they want MONEY and they make more money having different types of models most of the time. And most of the time they already have different clothes sizes in the stores but the models look the same. Because they don't want a curvy skinny women or mlre women with color as a model for NO reason even tho they have the clothes and could but in the stores they sell bigger sizes because they wanna make MONEY. Just look at victoria secret. All of them are white tall underweight girls and like 2% other race. That's not a coincidence.

And Tyra Banks is a curvy catwalk model same with rihannas savage ex fenty models. Because they know the industry is discriminating a lot so they are starting to stand up for themself. And that's their words

• And I said this before. Just read again until yiu understand because it doesn't ad up. And fix your attitude I am talking about real bit Companys models. You do know they are HUGE the Ones I named and many People discriminate for NO reason and you can prefer but not have discriminate. So what you are saying doesn't ad up.

Next time you argue with someone try to do it in a mature way.
      Have a nice day, bye 👋

• nothing is about a product, its usually about the brand. look at nike for example. they market a brand image, not a particular product. the manufacturer and the brand are separate entities. thats my take on it kid

• I'm not good enough :(

• Interesting and good mytake

• I'm going to have to make a Mytake replying to this one...

• If you want lol but use trustworthy sources if you do to help your argument like I did.

• First I'm all for people of color in the industry and there are more and more of them (you'll see that in my mytake"
      I'll link it to you when I'm done with it.

• Yes I agree there are more of them but not as mush as the typicle type and they get discriminated a lot and need to work harder than the White woman