Why Being A Mediocre, Untalented And Unambitious Person Is Not A Bad Thing After All

That's how I describe myself, and I think it fits just as well.

Despite a somewhat particular appearance, I'm just like this.
I don't have any particular vice or talent, I have a squeaky nasal voice, I don't particularly attract attention (now is an exception since I'm writing this) nor I ask for it.
I am the kind of person who's always there, but no one can really tell when he/she arrived, or what are his/her qualities and flaws are.

My only qualities are being a good organizer and a good listener.
My peculiar flaws are being boring, pedant and too "soft".

I described myself this way to my friends, family and girlfriend, and they got upset.
Especially my girlfriend, who describes herself as modest, untalented and insipid (she's nothing of the sort) got upset and said it's not true.

I myself see it as a good thing. Not meddling with big things I don't understand, keeping myself to the side, never taking the spotlight.

Let someone else be the protagonist.

I'm just a side character.

We are taught from childhood to be competitive, to strive for excellence. That never took root in me.

I had excellent grades, but did not care much about them or what others thought of that.

I tried to make it in the Army at 18, got turned away due to a pre-existing condition. Patience.

The only particularity of my teens was getting into a youth cultural organization (which I won't name, but occupies itself of voluntary and social work, alongside cultural initiatives) at 14.

By 15 I was Junior Team Leader of the boys' sections of my city. After the age of 18, I was eligible to the position of Deputy Overseer of the boys section.

At 20, I was in the regional committee and Overseer of my province (Lecco), and I still am.

My only good qualities are organizing and being precise. I didn't aim to that, never had the ambition. Yet here I am. I just put passion into it and it all came by itself.

Someone told that I used my being unassuming and so in particular to make my own, hefty raise.

I think it was just passion.

And you?

What do you think of mediocre, unambitious people?

It is fair that they reach high positions or succeeds where more ambitious, goal driven people failed?

1029

Most Helpful Girls

• At least you know who you are and where you stand.

• Also, you look like literally Hitler.

• 😂😂
      I know I have a particular look, but I'm no Nazi (our organization is anti-fascist) and I don't have the cloth of the leader.

• Sorry but being a mediocre, untalented and unambitious person is a waste of space in society.

• It may be, but I think that with the right amount of passion, you can get some goals done.
      I managed, after all.

• @ericclayton thanks Eric. i just don’t understand how or why some can be so obnoxious and rude. it’s pathetic.

• Because on the Internet some people can scream and insult others without facing the consequences they would face in real life.

Most Helpful Guys

• Most people are mediocre. That is what makes a average human being but being unambitious rarely works out well. However a friend of mine has the saying "if you have no goals, you cannot fail" and he has a point there.

• Thanks!
      Although the point isn't to "not have goals", but to set the goals you find are suitable for you. And they don't have to be high and might.

• Yeah it helps if your goals are realistic ones.

• @Lance1965 You sound like my dad, you know what you both have in common? Your advice sucks.

• A creative and interesting argument for mediocrity.
    Creative is the key word.
    Your thesis is that you are just average, and that’s ok with you. You present some reasons for how you assess yourself, but it seems you overlook some very positive traits, by minimizing them.
    “My only qualities are being a good organizer and listener”.
    These qualities are not common, they’re considered traits necessary for success in any endeavor.
    I think your narrative is conflicting in the way you talk about traits of mediocrity, mixed in with the traits that are good, yet you downplay the positive traits, and I’m not sure why.
    I think you are wise beyond your years.
    Good interesting read, thanks for sharing.

• Thanks for your opinion :).
      What I meant was that I never look or act in a particular way, always keep to the side.
      The point of the Take was that there is to be aware of the people who keep at the side, because they can do and go beyond what would be reasonably imaginable.
      But not many seemed to have took it.

• You’re right, and I got that exact point, that there’s always the need for backup support no matter what you’re doing. Followers are important, because they give a reason for leaders to lead... you seem like you would be the lead follower... the next to take the mantle, and in turn, probably more successful than others, because of your pre-existing condition, which enabled you to become more ready to assume the leadership role- a wise approach.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 8

• I think wayyyyy too much emohasus is out on conortuvrbrss against others. I think we should strive to be better together, than what we have been before. People can not work together if everyone is trying to kill each other. Yet here we are with trillions being spent on more bombs than can ever possibly be used when none should exist in the first place, while people complain about supplemental food programs so fellow citizens can maybe pay for heat and not starve. I think the world is hyped up on evil competition and it is ugly.

I like your post. I also thought posting pictures of your work was interesting... I did a double take with the mustache but honestly otherwise you look nothing lke him. I will say this, even hitler was against blowing up the world. He just wanted to dominate it. ( it’s sarcasm but with a tinge of seriousness. It is ironic That even someone with seemingly no sane moral compass , can still be horrified by what it is so commonly justified today. Threat of nuclear holocaust)

If the top was the ground there would be room for everyone on it.

• Thank for your kind words and opinion!
      You made an excellent point - if ambition is not kept in check by a firm moral compass, it can lead to ruin and suffering.

On another note, yeah, most people take notice of my particular style 😂 but I make it clear I have no association with that kind of man and his ideas and our organization is declared anti-fascist and anti-discrimination.

• Yes I notice you make it clear — the confusion could be so strange lol

😊

• If being mediocre works for you then live your life. You aren’t hurting anyone 👍🏾
    I don’t personally believe in smooth sailing in life. It’s just a waste of potential. But do you boo. Live and let live.

• I dont think its a bad thing. You can be a good follower. Some may view you as a waste of space but you're not a threat to the existence of society. You can also maintain a good democratic relationship with people. Some may see it as flaw, but it can be your biggest strength.

• If you ever get annoyed, look at me I'm self-employed
    I love to work at nothing all day

And I'll be taking care of business (every day)
    Taking care of business (every way)
    I've been taking care of business (it's all mine)
    Taking care of business and working overtime

• All I want is to live a good life. Do I need awards, prices and fame for that? The answer is No.

• Nice take.

• Ok we didn't need you anyways

• At worst, you're average, not mediocre.
    Although that's possibly what all 21 year-old think, if they are actually honest and smart.

On a side note, if you weren't actually intelligent, you wouldn't even be thinking about this. That alone places you above average.
    Good luck with your endeavours and take it easy.

• Thanks for your words and opinion, I wholeheartedly appreciate you them!

What Guys Said 27

• OP, I think you're kind of a cuck. . . . That Sarahs chick LITERALLY called you an untalented waste of space in society. . . . And you start backing her up or telling her she knows what she's talking about (despite showing no real evidence).

You know what your problem is? You're weak dude.

Guys who want to be content like you tend to have a common quirk: They let women walk all over them and they make bad friends to others and themselves.

• I don't think it's being weak.
      I respect everyone's opinion and listen to them even if I don't agree.
      I put the pics up on my profile to demonstrate my claims since I'm a "nobody" on here.

Also, I didn't really backed up anyone in that discussion, just tried to make it less heated.
      Interceding if you will.

• Question:
      If he's living his life without bothering people, why should it matter?

Why do men have to constantly prove strength or power over others? It's absolutely meaningless.

As for myself, I'll just be living life as a researcher. Paying off debts, and looking to live a stable life to make room for things I enjoy. Are men not allowed to appreciate smaller, less hectic things?

• @Onidandal Well, it just depends on personalities.
      I'm happy you share my point of view 🙂.

• You got turned away due to patience? Somehow, I'm not sure I believe that. You had more ambition than you think, if you look back. Sure, you may not have went to an Ivy league school or started a successful business, but you had ambition to do something. I personally think that being mediocre and unambitious is bad. Just because you don't have a talent in the arts, doesn't mean that you can't be skilled.

• I see your point.
      By the way, I got turned away from the Army because of a physical condition, "patience" was just my reaction.

I couldn't put it here, but I put a pic of the presentation I had with the rest of the regional committee of my organization. I'm the guy on the right, the others our regional President and the last one a poet we invited to present his book on our territory and culture.

• The “mediocre “ people are the very people who keep society running.
    The guy who’s happy in his “dead end” job, for example. No prospects of promotion, but he’s happy with that. Somebody has to do it, and he’s good at it because he enjoys it.
    The backing singer who never wants to be lead vocals. With out them, the song would be completely different.
    The mediocre people are everywhere, you’ve just got to open your eyes.

• Thus is somewhat strange because when you descfibed yourself I felt as though you described me perfectly... Well written!!!

• Thanks!
      Although the point isn't to "not have goals", but to set the goals you find are suitable for you.

• Most people are just average and there is nothing wrong with that.

To me a happy life is the true aim and life is a balancing act. I have no motivation to be special, just happy. But that came from trying too hard and realising that I was missing out on life while I followed my ambitions. It was no way to live and I'm happier now that I get to finish for the day and leave work behind than always be on the clock.

But hey house, job, car, and enough money to go for a drink. What more do I need?

• One problem. A mediocre, untalented person could not have written such a thing of beauty.

• ☺ You are flattering me, my friend!
      Did you like it that much?
      But not many seemed to have took it.

• i disagree.

Great and successful people don't settle for 2nd best or 5th best.

• If you're happy living your life that way, then so be it. Its not for us to decide your exsistance

• If you are happy being mediocre then good for you. I hate people who are mediocre and bitch and moan about not winning the award or getting the promotion or getting the raise.

• Well done I think your one of the fue people that figured out life! Why join a rat race: for what reason! Being something your not! 😀

• The way I see it- We're basically like farm animals for banking institutions.

They keep us in just the right amount of debt that were only paying off interest for little to no service provided. Then what's next is MAGICAL-
    They paint people that don't want the shiny new car, or the house that is just a little over the top in terms of what people really need, or the people that would rather spend the weekend napping and enjoying themselves as LAZY or lacking in ambition. Sub par.

It's easy to spot. In commercials the guy is laughed at for having an older car, or, doesn't get the pretty girl's phone number because he has an older model phone.

• Some people might view me as lazy. I see them as overlystressed busybodies that care too much about unimportant shit.
      "Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
      Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping
      Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
      I don't mind, I think they're crazy
      Running everywhere at such a speed
      Till they find there's no need (There's no need)
      Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
      And after all I'm only sleeping"

• I think that untalented people have no talent and that unambitious people have no ambition.

• "Treading water is as good as drowning for people like me."

• I think it's okay to be mediocre, untalented and unambitious too. I did okay in school. I got Bronze medal in IPhO when I was 16, I liked theory and I just left the experiment sections blank. Apparently I didn't try hard enough as my team mates told me. Then Physics got boring and I moved on to math, and the rest is history.
    I really hated the spotlight in high school. I am glad that it's different now in the US university I'm attending, there are a lot of brilliant people in my class, and undoubtedly they would do amazing things when they graduate and tackle deep problems in Anabelian geometry or Riemann hypothesis, I prefer to ponder about things closer to the life of ordinary mortals like probability being the connection between differential geometry and machine learning, very mediocre and unambitious stuffs in my environment.

• Nothing I'll aspire to but I guess It takes all types to make the world go round

• Not everyone can be a superstar

• My point precisely.
      I wanted to add a pic of the presentation of our didactic program last September, do you know how to add it? I don't find the editor now.

• @Jean-Marie- it seems like your mytake is being well received after all. It was sort of a sleeper, then suddenly everyone noticed and I think you sparked some real thinking , now going on...

• @Girther10 I noticed, I noticed!
      I'm happy it got so much attention and drew such a vast array of different opinions, even if it gave place to some heated discussions.

• Agreed. I like people who don't take themselves too seriously. *cough*

• in the overall scheme of things it makes no difference. You’re successful if you’re content/happy

• This sounds like some sort of millenial tai-chi fandango transvestite bullshit.

• The hobo market is over-saturated

• Well, being unambitious or overly sticking doesn't always mean being a hobo.

• You are just an npc it seems.

• I think I am, if you put it in those terms.
      But even NPCs can reach some positions and be a great help or hindrance to PCs.

• A working-class hero is something to be...

• Being mediocre just makes you more "human"

• If you are content, you have already win the game.

• The term 'loser' keeps popping into my head...

• I don’t like mediocrity but I think it’s also simplicity which is a good thing for many people.