Is There Absolute Truth?

What is Truth? It’s difficult to think of a more important topic than the nature of truth. Truth is that which agrees with reality.

Society no longer cares about truth. It doesn’t matter what one regards as “truth” just as long as they are sincere. Truth is subjective, society says, and it’s up to each individual to decide for themselves what is right and wrong. On the contrary: we need to remember that anything other than the truth needs to be rejected. When an individual suppresses the truth and comes to the false conclusion that “there is no truth” or that “there are many truths,” they will inevitably reject the concept of absolute morality. What “seems” right to one individual may “seem” wrong to the next.

According to this logic, to one-person child pornography is acceptable, but to another it’s a serious offense. So, who’s right? That view is held by many, but when taken to its logical conclusion, it proves disastrous. For example, what if I feel that it’s “right” for me to ignore traffic lights? Can it really be right in any sense of the word? Of course not. If something is true because someone thinks it’s true, then all sincere statements ever uttered would be true—even those that weren’t correct!

If morals are decided by the individual, why not live that way? Why not rob a bank to feed your family or steal a car to get to work on time? Why not base all your decisions on whether or not YOU think something is right or wrong? That would be ridiculous.

Here are some examples of “truths” that are being expressed in today world:

One group of people feel it is right for 40-year-old men to marry 9-year-old girls – Is this good or bad / right or wrong
One group of people feel it is OK and a duty to kill anyone who will not convert to their religion – Is this good or bad / right or wrong
One group of people believe that you can make up stories like false allegations of rape because the person is not in the correct political party – Is this good or bad / right or wrong
One group of people are so full of hate for something that happened to their assessors 200 + years ago by people long since dead, this hate leads them to justify killing and stealing and subverting the government they are born into – Is this good or bad / right or wrong
One group of people believe that it is OK to kill others since the life of the other may be an inconvenience to them – Is this good or bad / right or wrong

These are some of the great moral issues of our day. There are more, but this is enough to think about.

So, are there “truths” are there absolute “right things” or is it all subjective?

Is There Absolute Truth?

48

Most Helpful Guys

Join the discussion

46
  • There can be no such thing as absolute truth, no.

"Society no longer cares about truth."
    Bullshit. It always has and always will. Just because younger generations do not agree with your view on the ''truth,'' doesn't mean that they don't care about it at all.

"they will inevitably reject the concept of absolute morality."
    Exactly, as there is no such thing. Literally, no one can lay claim to being absolutely moral as literally all humans are flawed and I'm sure as hell will NEVER trust anyone who claims that their morals are right.

"According to this logic, to one-person child pornography is acceptable, but to another it’s a serious offense. So, who’s right?"
    Both are. From their own perspectives, obviously. The argument is then further taken by examining the details and nuances in each argument. Things like consent and undeveloped intellects in children lending credence to child pornography being more wrong than it is right.

"For example, what if I feel that it’s “right” for me to ignore traffic lights?"
    Then reality will come kicking the door down when you inevitably get into an accident. Morality can be fluid but it must give way to common sense. You can believe traffic lights to be unnecessary as much as you want, common sense will dictate you wrong.

Point being, some rules, laws and expectations are set in place less so because of morality and more so because the alternatives are more disruptive.

"If morals are decided by the individual, why not live that way? "
    Again, because that would be disruptive to both you and society. This is what I don't get about the religious. They say that a person can only be good by some guiding authoritative hand and that if said hand does not exist, a person will turn to savagery. Well maybe you won't, I've been atheist for half of my life now and haven't gotten into a fight, haven't stolen or haven't committed any crime whatsoever, nor have I had the inclination to do so. Why? Because I'm not an asshole, nor am I so weak-willed that without some authoritative guiding figure or a rigorous moral framework I could not function. I function more than perfectly by learning things as I go and adapting to circumstances and maintaining my own moral basis which, no, does not automatically have to mean that I am some selfish prick who doesn't ever help anyone and only cares for himself.

Conservatives who continue to insist that we all must follow some guidelines for our morality only prove themselves to be of a weak moral build.

"Why not base all your decisions on whether or not YOU think something is right or wrong? That would be ridiculous."
    It would indeed if one has no spine and can not function in accordance to their own ability without the need for big brother to watch over, even if the big brother is only in idea-form.

"Here are some examples of “truths” that are being expressed in today world:"
    This is a case of you confusing ''truths'' for arguments. Do some people argue for child-marriage? Yes. But you also seem to forget that most are arguing against it, even liberal people. Heck, it's Islamic conservatives, people your own age, who argue for that stuff.

All in all this smells like some conservative throwing a tantrum that the youth doesn't agree with his views on life, forgetting that a quarter of a century ago, you were undoubtedly in the same position of some form of rebellion against established doctrines yourself.

And to answer your final question - everything is indeed subjective but it is also bound to reality and to basic common sense, as well as to nurture. Morality is not a binary issue in that either you have an absolute one and you're good or you don't have it and you're evil. No, you can simply lack an absolute morality, rely on the one you develope yourself and function just fine in life. All it takes is a little backbone and critical thinking skills, ones that the establishment as well as the church do not want you to have.

• Truth is inextricable to experiencial existence. It is absolute, as is morality, however, our ability to concieve and interpret the truth is relative. Truth exists as rudimentary data, information that elicits existence through energy and matter. We interact with truth as the fundamental essence of perception. Truth tells us what is pressed underneath our feet as stones and dirt. It tells us which forces compel a flying meteor. It tells what is happening in reality. Morality, is how we should behave in accordance to truth, at the bare minimum to not breathe is contrary to human survival.

Religions have the expression that you may not create an idol of the prophet muhamad, in a variable translation to we cannot know everything in the cosmos omnipresently.

These truths that are untruths that people use to justify their misbehaviours still is in accordance to truth at some level. We treat truth as being exclusive to consciousness. Only a man awake can know the truth it is believed. But this is not true. Truth exists in any perception in proportionate quantities and our subconscious percieves truth. Our brains may decide that our reasoning skills are most important to reconsile truth or our brains may decide that creating illusions in spite of truth are more productive. The zealots that speak untruths may tell lies, but these lies are sourced from acknowledging truth, often the truth that the truth can be damaging to know. This is where we have alter egos, split personalities a. d other mental illnesses. To some, rational truth is dandy. To others rational truth is equivelent to suicide.

• So, there are no moral absolutes?

• If mankind faded out of existence but existence still existed for every other creature would then a rock in its material form cease to exist? No, the truth is inextricable from reality. Though our perception of it wanes and dissipates it still will exist. We may observe truth relatively but we can accumilate greater and greater truths.

Like first we believed in ether. It made the most sense. Outside of earth was a mysterious dark substance, not space.. Then we discovered that space is not an ether, its a void of sorts. We may not percieve absolute turth, absolute morality, but we can graduate from lesser truths to greaters truths and be satisfied in our pinnacle assumptions of it.

• I guess truth is what is not what our perspective sees.
    Is that really a picture of older men marrying little girls or is it more like what you would see at a Catholic church during a child's first communion &confirmation the little white communion&confirmation dresses that look like mini wedding dresses and for some reason are nearly as expensive?

• Truth is Universal.
    To find it is not simple.
    Absolute truth exists.

The situations which you mentioned are made up by Us. They are stories (i mean real ones).
    Its true society no longer cares about truth, they just want what they have in their mind.

• If you are someone who cannot except uncertainty, then religion is the way to go.
    But the truth is... there is no absolute truth. We determine what is right or wrong when the action is detrimental to society or the individual. Yes, we have our own way of thinking that we live by and then we also have our collective. Morality and truth is subjective. Why? Because humans didn’t come with an instruction manual. Unless you count the Abrahamic Religious scriptures. But even their very concept of who their god is, is so incredibly flawed and contradictory.

• Help me understand I have read your response 3 times. So with your reasoning there are no right or wrongs, thus no need for jails or law since murder is OK if it is OK with me?

• OK but when the collective says its OK to kill all the Jews or as in my example 40’s can marry 9’s is that moral or is OK because the collective says it’s OK.

• Yes. At the time, it was okay. Morality is subjective. But we get to evolve and reflect. And the collective chose to change their mind about that situation. Why? Because we have a better sense of empathy now. People make mistakes and we learn from them. We know now that those choices were a mistake of human history because we can now empathize with oppression and death.

• I think it depends on where you look. If I said I didn't like the music of Celine Dion because I thought the singing was bad, but someone else says that she has good singing, then there's no absolute truth to that because art is in the eye of the beholder.

Now do I think that absolute truth exists? Yes I do. However in some things there is a "truth" agreed upon, while things like Science and Theology address absolute truth.

• The statement that there is no absolute truth. in order to make sense, you have to say this statement is absolutely true. Which completely contradicts itself. Therefore there has to be absolute truth.
    And we can know what it is. some people believe there's absolute truth and we can't come to know what it is, but you can only think that in your head. You can't actually act on that in the world, otherwise you are acting, as was laid out above, in a completely relative manner. Which is self-defeating.

At the heart of it, I think people believe things are relative in order to justify their own bad behavior

• 2+2=5 and it always will be. It is absolute truth because it was written in this book of mine.

• LOL - yes don't believe all you read especially in today’s world... my niece was had to write a report in Ab Lincoln and asked me to read it. She had written that young Ab got his views about slavery after seeing slaves being abused in Kentucky. I said I don’t think so. I asked where she got her information; she replied “State of Kentucky website”. We looked online to fined books written at the time of his life and in his own words he said that he became an Abolitionist while in the Senate learning from ex-President John Adams who retuned to public life as a senior Senator.
      So, the moral is don’t trust anything on Google, or even government websites. Go back to the writings as close as you can to the time. Now with that said today’s history is so biased and so corrupt that you can’t trust anything. All news is mostly fake unless you see that actual footage. Case in point: There is a hullabaloo on Yahoo about some American Indians and some kids with MAG hats on. The full footage shows that the old man insulted and walked over to the kids who were minding they’re on business at the time. He called them names and insulted them, banging his drum in the one boys face.

• I'm not gonna trust some guy on the Internet claiming to be 59.

• I don't know

• Maybe