Oh yes, another #NOTMYARIEL rant 😄

DISCLAIMER: IF IT DONT APPLY, LET IT FLY!

I honestly do not understand this fake selective outrage.

The live action Cinderella remake in 1997 had a VERY diverse cast...and yes, social media was not what is was today in 2019 but if there had been any controversy, it still would have been widely discussed by some article or other news outlets. Blogs. Whatever.

Quality movie that was a huge success.
Quality movie that was a huge success.

People love to say Disney is just going PC for the new generation when in actuality, they’ve probably been sitting on this idea way before PC culture started becoming mainstream.

The live action remake starred Brandi, Whoopi, Whitney Houston, and other people. The lead role actress (Brandi) was still fresh into her career at the time just like Halle Baley (the young lady playing the lead in live action little mermaid).

So this selective outrage is just mind boggling to me...over a damn fictional mermaid for crying out loud. Just to be clear, no I’m not calling you racist for not wanting a black Ariel. But I am saying you’re retarded. One is evil, the other one is just stupid. You are the latter.

And people want to talk about “oh what if Tiana was made white”.

Seriously?

Is this what we’re resorting to now? YES blacks would be mad...because unlike the little mermaid...TIANA WAS BASED ON A REAL PERSON. ( and lets not even go there with how Tiana is the only example you have to throw in black peoples faces 😂) The real person was a working class black woman trying to own her own restaurant and when she got all the money she was shut down because she was black. Making her white would make zero sense. And although the racism wasn’t explicit in the animation, it was still pretty damn obvious as to why “Tiana” has to fight so hard to get to where she wanted to be.

Her name is Leah Chase
Her name is Leah Chase

Same exact thing applies to other Disney Princesses of color. Their race and culture actually had significance in their story.

In the little mermaid original story, the mermaid was fucking blue. Or green-ish. Whatever the hell. So why the fuck does it matter what the new Ariel’s skin tone looks like?!

Oh yes, another #NOTMYARIEL rant 😄

Oh yes, another #NOTMYARIEL rant 😄

And oh yes! You have the fuckers who are shouting JUST MAKE A URSULA BLACK!

Why is that? Don’t you care about accuracy since you want the mermaid girl to be white?

Well guess what? Ursula’s design was based on a white, male drag queen. Yes. I know that’s hard for your tiny minds to wrap around but that is the truth. It’s clear that a lot of people are much more comfortable with a black person being the villain or the ugly side show. But god fucking forbid, in this day and age, a little black girl with locs gets an iconic lead. God fucking forbid.

He went by the name “Divine”
He went by the name “Divine”

Where was all this energy when white people were replacing Egyptian characters and fucking The last air bender characters? When black people complain about injustice, it’s “OH! You people are dramatic.” Or “OH! It’s just a movie get over it.”

Angelina Jolie playing a black woman in “A mighty Heart”
Carey playing a Latina woman in “Drive”
Carey playing a Latina woman in “Drive”

So clearly when the shoe is on the other foot, it ain’t too comfortable huh?

Tragic.

But anyway, there is one point I do agree with. And that’s the fact that Disney should have just made another story entirely with a POC cast.

However, creativity has ran a bit dry as we can all see. So I guess we just get what we get. But this fake ass #NOTMYARIEL bullshit ain’t it sweetheart.

Oh yes, another #NOTMYARIEL rant 😄
17
4

Most Helpful Girl

• SpiderManFan2002

Yes! You slayed in this MyTake, and taught me a few new things.

I had no idea Tiana was based on a real person, but that's so cool.
    And I didn't know in the original TLM tale Ariel was a bluey-greeny colour, so if people really gave a damn about accuracy they'd be crying about the cartoon and how they didn't make Ariel a bluey-greeny colour.

The truth is they can't stand to see a black girl get such an iconic role. The way they talk about it it's as if they'd murdered the old Ariel and replaced her with a black girl. The old Ariel is still there, if you're so bothered about her, go watch her!

They act like the role of the original Ariel was just for redhead girls, but I'm a brown girl and I found myself able to relate to Ariel, my little cousin Cameron, loved the little mermaid. Just because Ariel was white, doesn't mean she was only for white girls. She was for everyone!

That's how Ariel in the remake being black doesn't mean that little redhead girls still can't identify with her. They can. Anyone can because before she's a black girl, she's a human being!

2 likes

Most Helpful Guys

• Liam_Hayden

Disney's The Little Mermaid is a different entity, story-wise, from Andersen's. Just one area of disagreement with your post. In Andersen's original The Little Mermaid, while on ground, was able to pass herself off as a 19th Century Danish girl. Here are a few quotes from the tale:

"Now the fifth sister had her turn. Her birthday came in the wintertime, so she saw things that none of the others had seen. The sea was a deep green color, and enormous icebergs drifted about. Each one glistened like a pearl, she said, but they were more lofty than any church steeple built by man. "

This sets the location as Northern Europe. Now here is part of the description of the Little Mermaid with the Prince

"The Prince asked who she was, and how she came to be there. Her deep blue eyes looked at him tenderly but very sadly, for she could not speak. Then he took her hand and led her into his palace. "
    Blue-eyed girl who can pass a a 19th Century girl in Norther Europe? She was obviously white.

1 likes
  • Fuentes

I know right Ariel is a damn imaginary fictional Fish Cartoon drawn by a artist with no specific backstory of a region which leaves the color open for CHOICE. It's a fish god forbid we all cry if a child draws a different color for NEMO and he's no longer orange? Society os full of mindless, spineless and ignorant ZOMBIES

1 likes
    • Oh my god! How dare you suggest a different coloured Nemo! You've... You've... Scared me for life... A blue Nemo will haunt me in my nightmares now! 😂😂😂

• Ellie-V

He just completely ruined all of your beloved childhood memories.

• My parents just called therapy because I can't stop crying after what he suggested😂

If I had a child who came home with a Nemo that was any colour but orange, I wouldn't even be able to look them in the eye😂😂😂😂😂😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

315
  • DizzyDesii

Brandy was deep in the career as a singer and Moesha. So the movie wasn't really early for her. Prob the last time she could act cause her acting skills are awful now. Still love her songs tho. I dont think Halle should be ariel. I preferred Zendaya but both are great actresses. But the way zendaya dropped out of playing Aaliyah, shed do the same with ariel.

• MarkRet

Hollywood has gone woke, and Disney is carrying the banner for Identity Pollitics and PC agenda. Walt Disney would be turning in his grave if he saw what his company is now doing. Black washing is kind of a 'cultural appropriation', but the SJW's will make an exception if it's white culture, and call you a racist if you don't like it.

2 likes
  • dman2796

In my opinion, I think instead of trying to put ourselves in these stories written by whites, we should make our own stories and characters... and there’s also a problem I’ve noticed with these moves you talked about... everyone important aside from the princess was non black.

3 likes
  • Historylover18

It would be funny if people really complained about a black Cinderella because fun fact: the Cinderella story has its own version of the story in many different cultures, and the Disney one is in no way the original.

2 likes
  • RolandCuthbert

Yeah, I am so upset over some make believe Disney character.

1 likes
  • AngelLily

The reason there was no outrage over the black Cinderella movie was because it wasn't made by Disney and it wasn't meant to be like the original Disney movie also she wasn't blue or green in the original the reason she looks green is because of the print there is a picture of the original and she was pretty white also iv seen a lot of people complain white and black about the whitewashing in the last last Airbender and in Egyptian movies.

1 likes
    • AngelLily

Also princess Jasmine's race has nothing to do with the story.

• Piteka5

The problem for me is grown ups fighting over a children's movie, just don't go watch it, I haven't watched Disney movies for years now.

6 likes
  • The chick chosen to play Ariel is ugly as hell and that's my only complaint. Ariel is a redhead and I would rather she got played by Karen Gillan or this chick:
    Oh yes, another #NOTMYARIEL rant 😄

1 likes
  • Lord_Thy_Gawd

Take a look at this:
    Oh yes, another #NOTMYARIEL rant 😄
    Why is the last one not like the others? People are right to be upset about this.

3 likes
  • VaIiant

Disney is genuinely doing it to get a token-black actress. If its really about the actress's voice, and not her skintone, they can just make her look white for the film, like they did with Angelina Jolie but vice versa.

• Europeans obviously dont like it when big US mega corps are bastardizing the last bits of our intact culture we have left. Please open your eyes.

3 likes
  • NaultD

I've ranted about Disney what seems like forever, especially for the renaissance movies, little mermaid included. The vault makeing a farce scarcity, all on the back of open domain fairy tales and burning the bridge they walked after they crossed by funneling money to redefine open domain laws over the yesrs. The live action remakes to cash in that manufacture scaredy on open domain storys. I also hate how they have a monopoly of almost every intellectual property ever made in Amarica and increasing without makeing new things.

I couldn't be honest with myself saying anything Disney does anymore is for any moral good as an example to learn from. I agree the controversy of race is ass backwards and wrong. My main argument is that single argument is on a mile bed of shit regardless of childhood nostalgia.

1 likes
    • NaultD

I'll be honest this current Disney marketing is way outside my current circle of knowledge. I didn't know anything about Dumbo till they got on store shelves and I'm learning about the little mermaid today. I hope Disney crumbles and die but if not keep this distance and stay the fuck away from me.

• You know how big Disney is it will be at least a century if not more before they fails

• JustWorthlessMe

STANDING OVATION

Let's see the flood of hate from the impotent dull-witted bigots here

1 likes
  • Soteris

I would also like to point out that hey have absolutely no claim of authenticity since Disney's rendition of the little mermaid is a bastardization of the actual literally work. The little mermaid is actually a truly tragic story where Ariel do not get the prince even through all her sacrifice and gets tasked to kill the prince with a knife from Ursela to return to being a mermaid but instead throws herself into the sea and dissolves.

I do not remember people being upset that Disney took their creative liberties with their movie and dont get me wrong, it was a good movie but dont come here and complain about being faithful to the original story.

• SentientBrick

Selective outrage over pc changes? Humm what was the outrage level and box office numbers for captain marvel, solo movie, X-men dark Phoenix, ghost busters 2016 and MIB intermational. Oh right lots of consistent rage then shitty box office numbers hummmmm. Its almost like shoving politics and diversity down peoples throats instead of making cool original charachters and story's is a bad idea...

(What I'm anticipating the live action "diversity" sleeping beauty will look like):

• rjroy3

MIB International was actually good and not just a bastardized Ghostbusters situation. I enjoyed the movie. The only part of it that was shifty for me was the story showing her credentials for why she would be qualified as an MIB agent. They showed her as an intelligent individual for sure who was, really dedicated to her side hobby of locating MIB for years. Doing what she had to do in order to get there, while working a job she hated. But didn't really show specific aspects that would suggest she was qualified in any way to be a part of MIB. Like Will Smith in the first movie was a qualified cop who chased down an alien on foot. Impressing K to get the interview and going through the interview process. They didn't do that for International. She basically just gets the job with no interview process and she's essentially doing on the job training.

Other than a lackluster opening story to justify her place it was an enjoyable movie and you don't even think about that one thing. People just saw the girl in the current political climate and thought it was PC without knowing. If you watch it you'll see it's not at all prevalent. Hemsworth as the qualified agent definitely takes the lead in that movie. I like what they did with the story. They left a good door to make a whole MIB universe for future movies that don't even have to include these characters. They could start from scratch and make a good movie with this outline they left.

• Regardless of how good you think the movie was. The box office numbers were bad.

• rjroy3

Well yeah, I'm just saying for your sake. Movie was actually good

• GoobyGoobsex

Internet has maketh people dumb as fuck. World has gone to hell since 2012 if you ask me.

1 likes
    • The world ended in 2012, and what we are in now is just hell

• scare

funny

1 likes
  • JamesRandiDebates

Get woke, go broke.