The following list is of NINE things a woman couldn’t do in 1971 – yes the date is correct 1971. You can thank RBG.
In 1971 a woman could not:
1. Get a Credit Card in her own name – it wasn’t until 1974 that a law forced credit card companies to issue cards to women without their husband’s signature.
2. Be guaranteed that they wouldn’t be unceremoniously fired for the offense of getting pregnant – that changed with the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978.
3. Serve on a jury - It varied by state (Utah deemed women fit for jury duty way back in 1879), but the main reason women were kept out of jury pools was that they were considered the center of the home, which was their primary responsibility as caregivers. They were also thought to be too fragile to hear the grisly details of crimes and too sympathetic by nature to be able to remain objective about those accused of offenses. In 1961, the Supreme Court unanimously upheld a Florida law that exempted women from serving on juries. It wasn't until 1973 that women could serve on juries in all 50 states.
4. Fight on the front lines – admitted into military academies in 1976 it wasn’t until 2013 that the military ban on women in combat was lifted. Prior to 1973 women were only allowed in the military as nurses or support staff.
5. Get an Ivy League education - Yale and Princeton didn't accept female students until 1969. Harvard didn't admit women until 1977 (when it merged with the all-female Radcliffe College). Brown (which merged with women's college Pembroke), Dartmouth and Columbia did not offer admission to women until 1971, 1972 and 1981, respectively. Other case-specific instances allowed some women to take certain classes at Ivy League institutions (such as Barnard women taking classes at Columbia), but by and large, women in the '60s who harbored Ivy League dreams had to put them on hold.
6. Take legal action against workplace sexual harassment. Indeed the first time a court recognized office sexual harassment as grounds for any legal action was in 1977.
7. Decide not to have sex if their husband wanted to – spousal rape wasn’t criminalized in all 50 states until 1993. Read that again...1993.
8. Obtain health insurance at the same monetary rate as a man. Sex discrimination wasn’t outlawed in health insurance until 2010 and today many, including sitting elected officials at the Federal level, feel women don’t mind paying a little more. Again, that date was 2010.
9. Also, take the birth control pill: Issues like reproductive freedom and a woman's right to decide when and whether to have children were only just beginning to be openly discussed in the 1960s. In 1957, the FDA approved of the birth control pill but only for "severe menstrual distress." In 1960, the pill was approved for use as a contraceptive. Even so, the pill was illegal in some states and could be prescribed only to married women for purposes of family planning, and not all pharmacies stocked it. Some of those opposed said oral contraceptives were immoral, promoted prostitution and were tantamount to abortion. It wasn't until several years later that birth control was approved for use by all women, regardless of marital status. In short, birth control meant a woman could complete her education, enter the work force and plan her own life.
Oh, and one more thing, prior to 1880, the age of consent for sex was set at 10 or 12 in more states, with the exception of our neighbor Delaware – where it was 7 YEARS OLD!
KNOW your HERstory.
Most Helpful Opinions
That's not exactly justifying to movement feminism. There had also been lots of rights men didn't even have but there's no need for men to advocate such a one sided moment. Another thing you should also take a look before advocating such movement is men didn't have to rights to refuse to join wars, refuse to do the dirty work, all those to make everyone's lives easier. Women always had the rights to refuse when being recruited which is why most of them just do also because workplaces and life before isn't as comfortable as life today. Now everything is at peace, technology is advancing and society's government system is getting better, cars are getting easier to drive, that's when women started wanting to go out. And to top it off, usually guys issues aren't really addressed. Really it doesn't matter what gender discriminates guys, whether it's his wife or it's his boss, it's not always addressed. Guy had always make up most of the victim of homelessness, poverty, suicide and homicide but what you only wanna take a look is how "privileged" guys are, looking at those guys being on top the corporate ladder while also ignoring what they've been through to get that position. So yeah you need feminism? Yes? And what about masculinism? No? Then double standards proving inequality.
It all has to do with equal opportunity.
Also, just incase you'd say that "there's discrimination and women should go home because they're weak and etc." The fact that those kinds of "discrimination" (which is what those chiefs also faced trying to get that position) just caused them to give up, just shows their will is not as strong as those chief's will. But lucky for them, being defeated because of that doesn't get them homeless like those other men getting pushed around. So yeah, for equality, should women be treated like that too?
There is a difference between equity and equality. There are plenty of homeless women too, being homeless sucks either way
Basically like entertering hells kitchen then complain you're treated like crap and bring your gender victim card. Really who's forcing you tho?
Statistically speaking, men outweigh them and men's homeless shelter until how had been shut down due to the lack of funding while women's shelter is well sustained. Also what does equity have to do with what I just said? Or you meant to say you support equality because you believe you're such disadvantaged? Well i literally gave the other side of the story. So why downplay it?
Lol I’m not complaining, and we are all victims of inequality. Just look at family courts. I was just stating facts from 50 years ago that I thought was interesting.
If you're not complaining then why so one sided? I also talked about how society treated men unequally so I can easily say we are all victims of inequality.
Also you failed to realize that whole women's rights movements are all full of complaints right? So that's also something interesting.
Yeah, I literally just said that
Same here. So i'm saying women's rights movements or feminism is not about equality even from the start. It's so easy to agree on something at first without analyzing the situation which what most people hastily did about that movement.
It really was at the start
Then how? Because i already explained how people thought it was equality. Another point would be the women are wonderful effect which is planted subconsciously in our minds. Which is why people listened to women complaining. So yeah they get told weak and because they don't have to man up, that's why they made it seem like it's a big deal despite how men had been treated poorly.
Sounds like a toxic masculinity issue.
So yeah apparently according to you, surviving is a toxic masculinity issue and something what a toxic feminine feminist would say
And i did mention the fact that even their wives can discriminate their husbands while they have to suck it up. The reason why guys are put in danger is because we cannot give birth like you do so those guys did everything for women sake and to make our life comfortable today. So apparently "toxic masculinity" made us comfortable then?
Also another thing is we only have value if we provide something because by default we're not special generic. If you going to say that mother nature treated you unfairly because of whatever one-sided complain you can think off which is why you're justifying feminism, then consider how society should be and treating men that way is also mother nature's plan. Mother nature's plan to not safeguard men because a world with more men than women can doom the population.
Mother nature's intention is basically like it is better to have few powerful men than have lots of useless men which is why so many men have to die to be useful.
You’re kind of proving my point dude
So do you. You think you're not proving my point? My point why we don't need feminism?
Also spit it out. What is actually your point that i have actually proved? Toxic masculinity? Then explain. Otherwise what you're doing is the act of toxic femininity. Like all you see is nothing but toxic men not even appreciating what men have done before and they didn't have to protest to be recognized.
I meant they don't need to be recognized. That's why you don't protest
Researchers have defined toxic masculinity, in part, as a set of behaviors and beliefs that include the following:
Suppressing emotions or masking distress
Maintaining an appearance of hardness
Violence as an indicator of power (think: “tough-guy” behavior)
In other words: Toxic masculinity is what can come of teaching boys that they can’t express emotion openly; that they have to be “tough all the time”; that anything other than that makes them “feminine” or weak. (No, it doesn’t mean that all men are inherently toxic.)
That also contradicts everything what the research is also had research about how teaching meant to be strong actually benefited the world. Chances are you are just we talking about those actual boomers for just really judgmental who don't even appreciate anything and that includes women as well. But encouraging men and appreciating them for what they do has nothing to do with toxic masculinity. What really if all guys had always been so free to express a lot, then it would be the case that all women don't have to be safeguarded, guys won't have to look for solutions, and we will all be living under a rock and do you want that?
Like what i said in another comment, if you're going to say that teaching meant to compress the emotion is toxic than your basic is saying that if a guy fails, it's just toxic to actually encourage and support him look for solutions instead of to let him express and cry accepting defeat. So do you want to deliberately ignore that one?
* if you're going to say teaching them to suppress emotion is toxic then you're basically saying