When our Constitution was drafted, adopted, and ratified, the Framers had a conception of a free press as being an absolutely essential component of democracy.
Unfettered by government regulation and control, the press could tell the people the truth about current events. That's vitally important, because an informed electorate is an important ingredient of the democratic process. So let's recount how the press is doing lately.
1. The Wuhan lab-leak theory is just another conspiracy theory touted by fringe elements on the right. This is what they insisted was the truth until it became obvious that the Wuhan lab-leak was, in fact, the most likely origin of covid-19.
2. Did President Biden keep checking his watch during a ceremony for the 13 Americans killed in a terrorist attack at the Kabul airport? Not according to USA Today; President Biden would NEVER do anything that disrespectful.
After public outrage, USA Today reported that its earlier story was not wrong but taken out of context.
3. Axios reported statements from VP Harris that the Trump administration had left Biden "no stockpile … of vaccines" or a "national strategy for vaccinations," even though those statements were refuted by Dr. Fauci and were patently false.
4. Several of the main stream morons were fooled and ran stories about Oklahoma hospitals being flooded with people overdosed on ivermectin, a drug which some on the right suggested as an inexpensive and effective treatment for covid.
When the right thought that the source of the story was a liar, CNN went on the attack to defend the story, but . . . it turns out that the source had never been employed at one of the hospitals supposedly overrun by ivermectin victims, and the hospital system administrator denied that it had treated a single patient for ivermectin overdose. So . . . the source of the story was a liar.
5. A black man - Jacob Blake - in Kenosha, Wis., was shot by the police while they were trying to arrest him after a domestic violence incident. The media widely reported he was unarmed, including in a USA Today fact-check declaring the notion he brandished a knife before the shooting "false," although there was insufficient information then available to make that determination. Enraged by the reports, local citizens protested with violence. In fact, Blake later admitted that he was carrying a knife whch he dropped and then was picking up during the incident.
Does anyone see a pattern here? The media is not doing its traditional job and has, instead, taken on the role of acting in concert with the Democrat party to try to manipulate public opinion for political gain. They no longer support any American traditions or values and their apparent goal is to destroy anything recognizable about the USA.