Calling a truce! Let’s end the “battle of the sexes”.

KatherineJ

Happy Wednesday everyone! Hopefully your week is going well and that you have a nice weekend to look forward to.

There is a topic that I want to talk about because ALL of us experience it in one form or another. The “it” in question is the so-called “Battle of the Sexes”. First, let’s get this out of the way: Men and Women are EQUALLY important! If you don’t agree with that simple statement, then now is the time for you to stop reading and find something more suitable for your sensibilities. I will not argue with anyone about my basic beliefs. So no, this one is not “open for discussion”. So let’s take a dive into the background, the history, and the current state of things.

Dating back across eastern and western societies (and millennia), women were considered the possession of men. Most Religious entities reinforced that in their Holy Books, and their teachings. Society reinforced it by such measures as calling women who strayed from those social expectations as witches. Obviously, we know what happened to a woman convicted of being a witch! She was burned at the stake, or hanged. Here, in the United States, we had the Salem Witch Trials in the late 1600’s during Colonial times. In that case, there were several men executed by the rope too. But it all started with accusations of “unnatural” behavior of some women. Sadly, the accusers were little girls, in many of those cases.
Let’s fast forward a little bit! When the United States was created by those Colonies, women were not mentioned in our founding documents. Women were not allowed to own property in most cases, unless it was left to her by a man. Women were not allowed to vote! Basically, women had very little role outside of the home. During the 19th Century, one of the few allowable jobs (outside the home) was to become a school teacher. However, if she got married, she was NOT allowed to continue her career. Her “job” then reverted to the job every other wife had: keeping the house, bearing and raising children, and anything else that her role required. By 1848 many women had gotten the idea that they were being deprived of the most basic rights of citizenship, and they began pushing for those basic rights. It all came together in a town called Seneca Falls, NY. After Seneca Falls, word spread, and more and more women started pushing for the right to vote, and be free to choose something other than being a housewife. Fast forward to the 19th Amendment, which finally gave women a voice (and a vote). Since the 1920 election, women have consistently voted in higher number than men.
During World War 2, when men were being sent off to fight totalitarian regimes, their places in factory, and farm were taken by women. For the first time in American history, women were working in jobs that had been “man jobs”. Women made airplanes, ships, tanks, bombs, guns, and everything else needed to keep the men at the front lines supplied. Oh, and some of those women actually flew the planes over to those men who were fighting. After the war ended, many of those women weren’t all that enthusiastic to just put the tool belt down and grab her apron, as if nothing ever happened. They had experienced financial freedom, and an independence that had really never been considered possible before. Many of them chose a new path, and never went “back to the kitchen”. A woman could now actually have her own place, her own career, and her own freedom. She didn’t have to marry to have financial security!

Here we are, in 2022, and even with all of those advances in our society, and there are still women who are bitter toward men. And there are men who are bitter toward women. Why? I really don’t get it!
The things our grand parents and even great grandparents went through are history. They happened! We have evolved as a society!
The Battle of the Sexes is a battle that can never be “won”, but we will all “lose” if it doesn’t stop.

I am a woman! I am proud, not because of my sex, but because of the things that I have been able to accomplish BECAUSE of the women before me who questioned why things were the way they were. Those women, and the men who supported the ideas of equality for both sexes, as well as racial equality made it possible for me to be able to write these things. They made it possible for me to get an education, a career, and my own sense of person. Yes, I am married, and I love my husband. But being his wife does not diminish the other things that people know me for professionally.

It is 2022, we all have equal worth in society, and in the eyes of the Almighty. So please, can we start acting like human beings toward each other? Men are important! Women are important! One is no better, or more virtuous than the other. One is no worse, or evil than the other.

I hope this isn’t too babbling, but I’m seriously tired of bashing an entire sex. It’s counter productive to a healthy society. Let’s take each person for who they are as an individual, rather than hating an entire group of people. Imagine that!

65
14
14Girl Opinion
65Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Brainsbeforebeauty

Sing it sister!!! Well said/written...

Hopefully people will get it. Hating on a whole gender is not only stupid, it's actually more harmful/disastrous/has more affects for/on the person doing the hating then the people they hating on...

LikeDisagree 5 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• AviatorTom

OK, let's do it like this...

LikeDisagree 3 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1364
  • OlderAndWiser

I, too, am tired of the butthurt boys who spend their time thinking of new ways to disparage women, or women who insist that all men are little boys. I'm tired of the questions about "which gender works harder in dating relationships" or "what hurts worse, childbirth or getting kicked in the nuts?" Why does it matter?

Unfortunately, I don't really see any way of this ever ending. In the meanwhile, I look on the bright side: all those butt hurt boys who say bad things about women make me look like a very attractive alternative!

LikeHelpfulDisagree 3 People
    Reply
    • Lol wiser. If you can’t understand why it matters with major changes in society and the expectations today… then all you are is older… not wiser.

I’m sure you can understand the significance of society changing expectations without changing boundaries and qualifications. Your the type to just go with what happens and hope for the best.

• @VanillaSalt Hahaha! I'm really not stupid just because you don't understand what I said.

• Rusty55

I am so grateful for you! The last guy I dated kept talking about how his ex cheated and I would too, and he always thought the worst of me when all I wanted to do was love him. I never even thought of cheating or doing anything to hurt him. In the end it sabotaged any chance of love or intimacy between us and it felt like a battle that I didn’t want to be in. It hurt me a lot. I’m so happy that there are men who want to be on the same side, like you! Thank you sooo much!

• ADFSDF1996

The “battle of the sexes” is an oversimplification as it’s not that black and white.

What’s really going on is mainstream society having too much influence from the far left wing and anyone who questions mainstream society’s new norms is considered to to be a “fascist”, “sexist”, homophobe etc.

Most men don’t actually hate women, most men are simply tired of being scapegoated by the femicommies who have great influence on mainstream society.

LikeHelpfulDisagree 4 People
    Reply
    • If that's true than what's the equivalent on the far right? No need to answer just rhetorical question.

• @Friendlybro79 There is no equivalent because the far right doesn’t have any influence on mainstream society anymore, at least not here in the US. The most influence a far right individual had influence on American society was Fritz Kuhn during the 1930s but his influence quickly waned during WWII.
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uftTLH6NRks

The far left wing is delusional as they think mainstream society is still dominated by the far right. If that’s the case then why doesn’t Hollywood make movies that depict the far right as the good guys? Why don’t most big companies hire people with far right political views? Why aren’t far right politics being promoted in our schools?

• Oh geeze.

• Screenwriter

I've never thought there was any battle of sexes or one sex was better than the other. Every individual has their gifts. Men are blessed with extra physical strength. Women with wombs to bear children. But each have skills that overlap and most jobs can be done by both sexes if they care to attempt them.

Testosterone does lean men toward more violent behaviors and more risk taking IN GENERAL. Estrogen moves females toward more caregiving behaviors. But EVERYONE exists on a SPECTRUM!!! Most men and women are 4s, 5s and 6s: Right down the middle of male/female. Then there are those who are more masculine, 0-3s or more feminine, 7-10s. I'm making up this "masculine" "Feminine" scale based on the sexuality scales created by Masters and Johnson and Kinsey. The same types of scales measure Autism spectrum and probably any other behaviors humans exhibit.

The point is MOST folks are right in the middle of the 10-point scale: AVERAGE. But there are those at the extremes: hyper masculine and hyper feminine. There's those who like the extremes too. However, some of the extreme BEHAVIORS of those at the far ends of the spectrum cause issues for the majority in the middle.

Hyper masculine people are high risk takers and can exhibit criminal behaviors. Hyper feminine people are generally helpless, have few interests outside of childbearing and homemaking. Owning skills that cover aspects of masculinity and femininity benefits men AND women, as you say.

So why a battle? People generalize and therein lies the blur. There is no "all" woman or "all" man. We are blends and thank goodness for that!

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • VanillaSalt

Good points.. but your alone. Your one person that believes pretty things that don’t exist… I can never have children without a woman’s “permission”. Understand them words. I tried adoption once. Refused because ima single male. If I get into a fist fight with a woman and the cops come and things have calmed down… I WILL to to jail. She won’t. It’s state law here that someone must be removed and it’s always the man. I have tons to offer a good woman but good woman won’t even look my way when I actually have time to date. Meanwhile they have every option available including good and bad options and they make constant bad choices while I’m left wondering why am I trying to be so good if they don’t see it? Looking at sentencing time for the same laws and in similar situations women get lessened sentencing and compared to men rarely get prison. When feminists fight for womens rights their amazing and strong but when MRA’s fight for mens rights their yelled down…

You talk about equality. Are your required to sign up for the draft to vote? Have you ever held a rally or even sent a letter to your congressman/woman defending mens rights in any way? Have you ever put yourself into the shoes of a man to see life from their perspective thinking even if you can’t do anything about it at least you could understand it? I have. In fact I enjoy looking at things from many perspectives to gain a greater understanding why and how things are. Do you understand how many monopolies women have in society today? How brutal and lonely the world is towards men that can’t succeed to a high enough degree? It is unfair for men to ask women their weight but not for women to ask men their height for gods sake…

You want a truce? Fucking fight for us for once. We’re tired of fighting and dying for you and the children while you bad mouth us. We have the right to expect kindness as well but human nature won’t allow that.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • KatherineJ

Mind your language. First off, have you been drafted? If you live in the United States, you haven’t at your age. So don’t bring up that “oh, but I have to register for the draft”. My husband is a combat wounded veteran who served for 14 years, so I have absolutely zero sympathy for that argument. If the government decided that women should be eligible for the draft, a lot of women would sign up immediately. Many women have served in the armed forces of the United States since the Second World War.

Next, any single person is most likely to be denied an adoption, male or female. My husband and I went through that process, and it was not at all easy. So don’t give me that. As for “I can’t have a baby without a woman’s consent”. Well, how exactly is that a surprise?

You make a lot of absurd judgements about women that I don’t even want to get into because you are doing absolutely nothing except spreading more of the exact hatred that this post is trying to stop.

Lastly, if you think women are your enemy, I seriously think you should look in a mirror! The enemy is in the image looking back at you.

• You also didn’t have to register… apples to apples. I don’t give a damn what your husband did… you didn’t. If the government decided to require women for the draft a lot would instantly be pregnant… and it’s not a requirement for women to vote but it is for men we HAVE to.

All your saying is everything I don’t like is wrong and I’m bad… everything I mentioned I’ve seen personally in my life… I’m tired of stupid women telling me my concerned are invalid.

• KatherineJ

Did you get drafted? Nope.
      Do you have to vote? Nope.

What you happen to be missing in what I said is that we should stop with the “oh, but MEN are bad/good because of ______” or “oh, but women are bad/good because of ________”. It’s nonsense! Now if you want to bitch and moan about how hard it is to be you as an individual, go right ahead. But you really can’t seriously think there is some big female conspiracy to put you in your place.

Lastly, this is MY take. If you don’t like it, please feel free to write your own?

• TDDMS

You call for an end to "the battle of the sexes," yet go on to demonstrate your ignorance and intentional misrepresentation of history. To begin, the "little girls" you claimed who started the Salem Witch Trials were between the ages of 17-19, an honest person wouldn't call a teenage girl a little girl, however someone trying to sell a dishonest narrative would make such a slight of hand.

Additionally, no, women didn't fly planes in combat during WWII, What you are alluding to is the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP). They were a stateside wing division who's primary purpose was for propaganda and their secondary purpose was to do menial tasks. At most WASP employed maybe 800 women at it's height. And before you go looking them up, yes they were paid less money than men. And that's because they weren't in combat. See when you are tucked away stateside, away from combat, you don't have to worry about seeing your friend get blown to bits. How you presented your claim as women flying airplanes during WWII is a slight of hand technique. It's commonly used by ideologues to create a conspiracy where one does not exist.

Your claim about women finding freedom from working in a factory, this wasn't anywhere near reality. Firstly, the military spent about 2 years cajoling and propagandizing women to work in the factories. The fact is many didn't want to have anything to do with the war effort. And then the women who did work in the factories went rushing back to the home not because the government told them to, but because they got a little taste of what men have to go through and they realized that's not what they wanted. And they embraced being a homemaker. I know this from reading about history that hasn't been defiled by communists, but also from my three grandmothers. Who, I might add, if they heard the drivel you are spouting, would give a twit like you an earful.

And with all that, have a lovely day now! :)

Funny 1 Person
    Reply
  • Cubus

Very needed MyTake. I'm happy you take on this issue.

"Here we are, in 2022, and even with all of those advances in our society, and there are still women who are bitter toward men."

I think it's because appetite grows while eating. Women can vote, have a career, are legally equal to men etc, but still feel ( not all of course) they have less rights than men. For example I came across statements that the fact that women get pregnant and give birth make them have less rights than men, so they want to solve this, somehow

"And there are men who are bitter toward women. Why? I really don’t get it!"

It's because men feel endangered now as women are more strong-minded and have higher expectations, especially if, as you stated, some women hate men. Men feel they are losing ground and find it hard to adjust to new circumstances (as you stated - men in the past used to have a lot more rights). This may hurt their pride.

This is also seenable in politics where women more often vote left, when men more often vote right. It is because women, as you stated, don't want to go back to traditional gender roles, are liberated when it comes to having a career and not having to take care of family, liberated when it comes to sex life and many more. All of which left encourages.

Men on other hand feel bitter about the fact women don't want to be traditional and vote right, which usually promotes traditional gender roles, hoping to bring it back.

All the changing way of thinking of men and women also affects dating and founding a family. Not only women have higher expectaction than in the past, but also there's a constant hate from both sides, which makes us see representants of opposite sex as enemies. This clearly makes it very hard for dating for something longer.

Even my mum, who is centre-left politically told me yesterday that today girls are awful when it comes to dating them.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • KatherineJ

@Cubus I don’t disagree. I mean a lot of guys seem to feel like they are being left behind. I get that. My take on being equal means exactly that. I don’t want to be treated as less valuable in society than a man is. But here’s the rub, I don’t want any man to be treated as if he is any less valuable either. Sadly, that happens too. None of it is fair, and it needs to stop.

• Cubus

Sadly I don't see the way to make an agreement here. Politicians enfuel this sexes war, because this keeps them in power. Left says "Women, vote for us, because men are violating your rights". Right says "Men, vote for us, because it's left's fault that you can't find a wife".

This can only be solved if some cultural revolution happened (which would probably be very bloody)

• Snakeyes7

@Cubus Well to be fair, the Right (or at least what the internet calls right wing) is more like promoting the idea of self governance instead of relying on a powerful state to take care of you (spoiler alert: they won't. They will happily use this power against you if given the chance).

The problem is, men like that idea a lot better than women do on average so you're not wrong.

• hahahmm

Women: We're strong and independent.

Also women: Men need to watch WNBA, help women owned businesses, pay alimony, child support, support abortion rights.. and on and on andon.

I heard a wise man say that only the weak talk about fairness. Most men understand the strong win.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • I just love the accusations! Personally, I shop at businesses that have the best products for prices that are reasonable. Oh, and where I am treated like my visit is important to that business. I don’t shop at a place just because the owner has a vagina.

• hahahmm

Accusation? It's true. Otherwise there'd be nothing to talk about. Let me know when you buy those WNBA season passes.

• No team, and I don’t care for basketball.

• exitseven

I never really bought into the battle of the sexes. I knew girls that were my very closest friends. I knew girls who were great athletes and could do thing sbetter than most guys. People are individuals and everyone nis different. They do not disagree because of gender but for other reasons.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Cherry234

I agree. I hate this whole gender war. It would be better if people just got along. It really is ridiculous that there are men who hate women and women who hate men.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • @Cherry234 yep! It’s crazy that there are people (of both sexes) who hate. I mean it’s hard to love anyone when your heart is full of hatred.

• Cherry234

@KatherineJ Right. I can't believe there actually are people who make excuses and justifications for misandry. I understand that women have been historically oppressed against but it's still not a reason to hate men, especially since men that are alive now in the 21st century aren't responsible for what happened in the past. But like I said, it's also wrong to hate women too.

• @Cherry234 exactly! I mean I stand on the shoulders of generations before me. I can’t imagine hating men for stuff they had nothing to do with.

• RadThadd

To future guys reading this: The original post is just a woman calling for things for the sake of optics; like nearly all women, she doesn't really believe what she typed, she doesn't believe in equality because she supports government laws that place men below women like selective services. And like all women, in terms of basic humanity, most men are invisible to her and only matter if she gave birth to them - if that. But she thinks she can get away with it because her so called husband paved the way for an easy life for her (by her own admission he is a wonded vet, which she likes to pretend that is a sacrifice on HER part but we all know better) and constant other invisible men have paved the way for women like her to pretend nice and call for a truce. Women like her can do this because their lives are too easy and the men around them have protected them too well. They will never admit to any of this because ALL of this is in their nature to be this way you can't And you change nature, no matter how many fake middle ground posts get shat out.

My advice is, do NOT take women at their word. They're not rational enough or honest enough to admit these basic realities. They'll surely say some irrelavant things in response like claims of me being hurt, but will never address the validity of what I'm saying. Which proves my point, and is exactly why I am directing this at male readers. females will always live in fantasy land. So long as we allow it

LikeHelpful 2 People
    Reply
    • KatherineJ

Now exactly who do you think took care of him when he came home from Walter Reed? Oh, that’s right! Me! Why? Because it’s my job! And you still haven’t been drafted, so please stop. You probably haven’t done a damned thing to serve this country, or your fellow humans. Have I? Yes, I have. Now then, “my husband has provided me a good life”? Yes, he has enhanced my life in ways that someone of your little intellectual capacity couldn’t comprehend. For the record, I had my own career, my own home, and my own life BEFORE I met him. Oh, but I’m after his money, right? Would it surprise you to know that the poor man got damned near zero from the DoD for nearly two years before he finally got helped? Oh yeah, you wouldn’t know anything about how messed up the VA is, because you have never had to deal with that agency! Just who do you think helped him financially? Oh, that’s right! Me! Why? Because I felt like it was my duty. I’m glad you can live in your little fantasy world where all women are gold digging bitches because they won’t “put out” to whiny little boys like you who haven’t ever done anything productive for yourselves, or taken care of anyone but themselves. But yeah, call me what you want! Say that I’m only writing this to lull men into a false sense of security. Come on, you have to be smarter than to think that all women are conspiring against you! Trust me as a woman, I can tell you that we are a lot of things, but “organized” isn’t exactly on that list.

Now go back to your basement and read what the actual men have to say.

• Pinay_ako

I never had a war against men. I actually adore them and just having a man around makes me feel safe. As long as they’re the good kind. There’s no need to bicker who’s better and who’s boss and whatever. Just learn to co exist and enough of the negativity. This world isn’t perfect and so are we all. ✌️

LikeFunnyDisagree 4 People
    Reply
  • JDavid25

Well your history lesson is a bit off.. As women weren't considered the "possession of men".. The husband throughout history was just the "head of household".. Most of history was very dangerous, and so very few people were thinking about "freedom and rights" like we do now.. Also the voting issue is wonky a best.. Most people couldn't vote because most people didn't own land and that was mostly for federal elections.. Then it was expanded to men but with heavy responsibilities.. It was elite upperclass women who had to convince the average everyday woman that she wanted to vote and there were women even fighting against the idea.. More women initially voted against the vote then for.. Also women could work and own business even at a certain time during the colonies.. There was something called "femsole" where a woman stayed single and she owned land and everything else.. Originally, the early feminist didn't even make the issue voting.. They only made voting an issue because they didn't want "Black" men to have the vote therefore making "Black" women on equal standing with the "White" feminist.. Also, I highly doubt those women wanted to keep working in those factories while possibly loosing their sons and husbands to a war.. There's a reason why they went straight back to being married.. Women have also had power to influence.. If they want something just convinced their husbands in power.. History is much more nuanced than "Women were oppressed or held back".. But besides that good take, I agree..

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • The Seljuk Turks had quite a few female leaders and warriors too.

• The fact she ignores these facts? Proof she is a fox. She hates men. Why else would you ignore the fact that all of what she said is bullshit? Her husband needs to divorce her and take half her stuff

• JDavid25

@RandomGuy1030 I don't think she hates men.. I can see that maybe she doesn't have anything to say to it.. Which is fine I was just putting it out there.. 😎👍..

• Rusty55

This is something that has always bothered me. We are all people, with feelings and unique perspectives. Life could really be amazing if we all appreciated each other for the gifts they bring us instead of arguing over who is better all the time.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • SomeGuyCalledTom

Seems a bit one-sided (ie: 'women are the solution to the problem men created, you're welcome men.').

But I'd certainly like to see less division between the sexes in [post-?]modern discourse. It starts with, yes, acknowledging the bad actors on both sides with equal scrutiny. But more than that, it means celebrating each other's unique differences and valued traits. "Different, but equal" is the name of the game. That's the difference between a marriage where husband and wife play their respective parts voluntarily and in good faith, as opposed to the marriages where the man "owned" the woman and she was only there by obligation to church and state. And on the flipside, it's a far better alternative to the marriages where the MAN is trapped by threat of an expensive divorce, loss of access to his kids, reputation destruction, etc. Again, we should condemn the bad eggs on both sides, because that's an essential precondition to rebuilding trust between men and women. But we also shouldn't accept guilt or blame for shit we had no part in. I had nothing to do with the marriage laws that prevented women from getting divorces, just as much as the women reading this (presumably) had nothing to do with the divorce courts that overwhelmingly favour women, and provide extra incentive to lie about the husband being an abusive degenerate just to get a larger payout and exclusive access to the kids. But we can still come together to fix these broken systems, even if we didn't personally cause them to spring into existence.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Bogoboj

I 💯% agree with you! This "battle of the sexes" is just 1 side pointing 👉 towards the other side saying "you are to blame" while never taking any responsibility themselves.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • dragoblack

Battle of TV he sexes is the dumbest thing society ever came up with and absolutely pointless. Only thing is does is cause sexist hate and people wanting to feel superior... again, absolutely stupid.

LikeDisagree 3 People
    Reply
  • lightbulb27

I thought that ended with billy jean king and that dorky old tennis player in the 70's?

It's all fine but to be honest after working with males and females, I had some good females I really appreciated... but I'd rather work with males. why can't I have a company that excludes women workers? I'm ok with women only companies, women only armies, and women only tea parties. But I'd be denied all of that as a male... except the army... women seem fine with it when the shooting starts.

see... now we start fighting again. It's all selfishness, power, and control...

there's no hope, so I'm going to enjoy a Gelato and shut up.

Funny 1 Person
    Reply
  • ILOVEBEAUTY

Sorry, this whole site made me hate men more and more. Bunch of women hating virgins.

By the way, men control women still. Men are always in office.

LikeDisagree 8 People
    Reply
  • captain_voidwalker

Terms of surrender... denied. See you on the battlefield

LikeFunny 4 People
    Reply
  • Show More (57)